ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags psychics

Old 12th December 2019, 06:45 PM   #1
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

California Psychic Takes the Money and Runs

Cops hunt for 'psychic', 29, who disappeared after 'scamming clients out of $100,000 by promising to take their cash and bless it before returning double the amount'

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
A 29-year-old woman in California claiming she was a 'psychic', duped clients out of $100,000 after she accepted the cash with the promise of blessing and doubling the amount, police said.

Perlita Afancio-Balles landed on the 'most wanted' list at the Sacramento Police Department Tuesday for the alleged scheme.

Clients who said they handed over the money to Afancio-Balles, said she asked them to return to her home days later to get double a return on their investment, but when she did, the alleged psychic was gone.

The victims said her residence was vacated and she and their money had disappeared, according to an online account from cops...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...double-it.html

Some other psychic should be able to locate her.
Old 12th December 2019, 08:07 PM   #2
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Well, that was unforeseen.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 08:12 PM   #3
8enotto
Graduate Poster

It was clearly an alien abduction and she insisted her furniture must be taken also.

Can they not see the obvious?
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 09:51 PM   #4
curious cat
Critical Thinker

She probably wasn't a real psychic anyway .
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 10:04 PM   #5
Ernie M
Muse

Why not contact Elaine Frontain Bryant and Robert Sharenow at A+E Networks and get the Paranormal Cops to investigate?

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 10:05 PM   #6
Chanakya

You can hardly blame her. If a bunch of drooling idiots starts queing up, offering up their money, then what's a psychic to do? She's saved them the embarrassment of losing that money to ten-year-old Nigerian princes.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 04:32 AM   #7
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

This is such an old scam, remember reading about it even here a decade or so ago.

It's an example in my opinion how magic belief in one area can affect other areas of your life.

One of the avenues these scammers use to get the money is based on "prosperity" Christianity, if you've bought into (as part of your religion) that Jesus will give back $3 for ever $1 you donate than this stops sounding as crazy.

Last edited by Darat; 13th December 2019 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Effective affect
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 06:23 AM   #8
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
One of the avenues these scammers use to get the money is based on "prosperity" Christianity, if you've bought into (as part of your religion) that Jesus will give back $3 for ever $1 you donate than this stops sounding as crazy.

When I turn on the TV early in the morning before work, one of the cable networks is often showing a televangelist who is constantly talking about "sowing seeds". Send him money and God will eventually reward you with much more money.

Checking online, it's a guy named Mike Murdock, who appears to base his entire operation around that concept.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 07:58 AM   #9
Nowhere Man
Critical Thinker

John Oliver did a segment on that and then, to show how easy and legal it is, set up his own church. He eventually gave the money to Doctors Without Borders.

Fred

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
-- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684
Nowhere Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 10:24 AM   #10
philkensebben
Illuminator

An apparent psychic scammed some people? No way!
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 10:36 AM   #11
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Do the victims bare some responsibility? I know it's frowned on to blame the victim, but in this case, what the hell were they doing giving a stranger a large sum of money?
Old 13th December 2019, 10:40 AM   #12
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Do the victims bare some responsibility?
She took the shirts right off their backs.
Old 13th December 2019, 02:03 PM   #13
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Do the victims bare some responsibility? I know it's frowned on to blame the victim, but in this case, what the hell were they doing giving a stranger a large sum of money?
I want to say yes and no. I would hope someone wouldn't be so ignorant as to fall for type of scam but I can't blame them if someone took advantage of their ignorance and scammed them. The blame for the dishonesty is entirely with the scammer.
Old 13th December 2019, 02:34 PM   #14
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
When I turn on the TV early in the morning before work, one of the cable networks is often showing a televangelist who is constantly talking about "sowing seeds". Send him money and God will eventually reward you with much more money.

Checking online, it's a guy named Mike Murdock, who appears to base his entire operation around that concept.

How is it that these televangelist prosperity gospel preachers crooks can get away with this and the psychic woman not? Wouldn't be because they are Christian would it?
Old 13th December 2019, 02:40 PM   #15
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

If you subscribe to the belief that those who fall for these scams are motivated partly by greed, then you can argue that the moral calculus here is not as one-sided as it appears. It's natural to want something for nothing, or for very little. But at what point does that desire become morally indefensible?

Legally speaking, if you promise to return double someone's money and you don't, you'll have a hard time showing you didn't defraud him. There's clearly far more malice on the perpetrator's side than on the victim's side. But the perpetrator's success depends on creating the illusion of a reasonable reliance. For the prosperity types, the scam is fashioned as something God wants for you. "Oh, I'm not being greedy then." As Darat commented, it's very easy to play on people's preconceptions -- whatever they are -- and make the proposed reliance sound reasonable.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 10:35 PM   #16
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

A good variation of this trick is persuade people to send you $10. You return $20. They send you $100 and you return $200. They also spread the word around about you. Heaps of people start sending you big $. Then you collect the money and run.
Old 13th December 2019, 11:43 PM   #17
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Well, if you're going to defraud people of large sums of money, I wouldn't recommend hanging around after you do it.
Old 14th December 2019, 03:34 AM   #18
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Well, if you're going to defraud people of large sums of money, I wouldn't recommend hanging around after you do it.
Perhaps her psychic powers warned her of a long break away from the world if she stayed around....
Old 14th December 2019, 08:39 AM   #19
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Wow. It just takes one bad psychic to mess up the reputation of all psychics. Oh, wait . . .
Old 14th December 2019, 02:24 PM   #20
Hans
Philosopher

This type of scam is very common in Muslim countries because there black magic (legally) exists and people therefore believe that 'doubling' your money is actually possible - if sinful. The Qur'an says black magic exists so - it does!

https://gulfnews.com/uae/crime/man-c...sted-1.2275969

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-42878021

etc, etc.

Last edited by Hans; 14th December 2019 at 02:27 PM.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2019, 03:40 PM   #21
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Well for at least one in this event she started with nothing and left town with 100G.

That is much more than just double her money. What are the odds of that?
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2019, 03:51 PM   #22
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
This type of scam is very common in Muslim countries because there black magic (legally) exists and people therefore believe that 'doubling' your money is actually possible - if sinful. The Qur'an says black magic exists so - it does!

https://gulfnews.com/uae/crime/man-c...sted-1.2275969

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-42878021

etc, etc.
That pushed a few of my buttons.

I googled his name and a couple of other words.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...939-story.html

https://www.gangsterismout.com/2018/...gic-heist.html

My theory:

He's the Donald Trump of Mali.

And this sort of thing led to 9/11 AND the European Green Deal.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info...ication_en.pdf

And jack@Twitter 's announcements (e.g.) are all part of the same hippy ****.

(I realise there may be some work to be done here to convince some people. )
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2019, 04:26 PM   #23
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
On Instagram I've searched the hashtag #pockets a couple of times (pockets on women's clothes are a political issue I've been monitoring).

I was shocked to see that many pictures were nothing to do with my idea of "pockets".

They were pictures of large stacks of banknotes.

I had a look at some.

They were made by users with African-sounding names, and they were recommending a mentor/adviser who had helped them triple their money in a few weeks doing bitcoin trading.

None seemed to be saying they were successful any longer than that.

Looks like I've become aware of a new form of MLM as we move into the next decade of this millennium.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2019, 10:55 AM   #24
GodMark2
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
How is it that these televangelist prosperity gospel preachers crooks can get away with this and the psychic woman not? Wouldn't be because they are Christian would it?
It's because she promised to return double the 'invested' funds. She is the only party responsible for the money, and the repayment is specified in money.

The preacher promised that "God" will increase the 'investor's' prosperity. The preacher can't be on the hook for this "God" fellow not living up to his end of the bargain. And, the repayment is only in a nebulous 'prosperity', which has no legal definition: It might mean cash, it might mean happiness, it might mean more children. It may or may not be measurable, and so is unlikely to be possible to show that you didn't receive the promised 'prosperity'.

Religion is a slick, finely tuned scam. They've had a long time practicing how to skirt the law.
Old 19th December 2019, 11:14 AM   #25
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by GodMark2 View Post
The preacher promised that "God" will increase the 'investor's' prosperity. The preacher can't be on the hook for this "God" fellow not living up to his end of the bargain. And, the repayment is only in a nebulous 'prosperity', which has no legal definition: It might mean cash, it might mean happiness, it might mean more children. It may or may not be measurable, and so is unlikely to be possible to show that you didn't receive the promised 'prosperity'.

It reminds me of a book I read on Golden Dawn-style ritual magic. If you design a ritual correctly and you perform the several hour long ritual correctly, then at some point in the future, something resembling the objective of the ritual will come to you "through seemingly natural means."
If nothing happens, it's your fault because you messed up the ritual. If something you interpret as vaguely similar to what you wanted happens six months down the road, it's magic.

Last edited by Armitage72; 19th December 2019 at 11:15 AM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2019, 11:19 AM   #26
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It reminds me of a book I read on Golden Dawn-style ritual magic. If you design a ritual correctly and you perform the several hour long ritual correctly, then at some point in the future, something resembling the objective of the ritual will come to you "through seemingly natural means."
If nothing happens, it's your fault because you messed up the ritual. If something you interpret as vaguely similar to what you wanted happens six months down the road, it's magic.
This, of course, is how our ancestors convinced themselves that doing a rain dance made it rain.
Old 19th December 2019, 11:25 AM   #27
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
This, of course, is how our ancestors convinced themselves that doing a rain dance made it rain.
I, on the other hand, have a surefire way to make it rain - all I need to do is schedule a concrete pour...

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2019, 02:26 PM   #28
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Nope, the true explanation is they lived in the area we now call North Wales. And they were right, do a rain dance and it will rain that very day. Also putting on a pair of trousers will make it rain, as will eating, drinking, sleeping, running, reading, picking your nose - after doing any of those activities - or any other activity or inactivity it is guaranteed to rain later on, indeed you may struggle to find a gap in the rain to do your dance.
Old 19th December 2019, 02:54 PM   #29
Prometheus
Acolyte of Vķšarr

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Cops hunt for 'psychic', 29, who disappeared after 'scamming clients out of $100,000 by promising to take their cash and bless it before returning double the amount'

<snip>
Predictable.
Don't be offended. I'm not calling you a serial killer. -- Ron Tomkins.
Prometheus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2019, 03:44 AM   #30
EmmaQ
New Blood

Originally Posted by curious cat View Post
She probably wasn't a real psychic anyway .
You are Captain Obvious, I must say)))
I don’t understand at all, why shouldn't the robbed people find a new "psychic" to search for the previous one?..
EmmaQ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2019, 12:27 AM   #31
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
A good variation of this trick is persuade people to send you $10. You return $20. They send you $100 and you return $200. They also spread the word around about you. Heaps of people start sending you big $.
That...that's social security.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal