ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags prediction thread

Old 30th December 2019, 12:19 PM   #41
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Before the Sun sets on the first day of 2020 Trump will have said or done something that will greatly upset an extraordinary number of people. This will likely happen repeatedly throughout the following 365 days as well.
Old 30th December 2019, 12:25 PM   #42
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Violent assaults on Jews in the US will continue to rise for a time, before leveling off and then dropping again.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 12:32 PM   #43
kali1137
Graduate Poster

Monkeys, who have been plotting for years now, will finally attempt to take over the world. Much poo will be flung.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 02:22 PM   #44
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
rjh01 will start a thread titled “Post your 2021 predictions here”.
First time I have been mentioned in a thread for something I have not done.
Old 30th December 2019, 05:12 PM   #45
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Holy cow he's 103!

Now you just went and jinxed him.
I am guessing that his long life is due to the fact that every time Death comes around and asks "Which one of you is Kirk Douglas?" ...

Oh well I guess you all know the rest.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 05:57 PM   #46
LibraryLady
Emeritus

Trump will be re-elected.

Edited to make clear I think this would be a terrible thing, but I really do think it will happen.
Old 1st January 2020, 07:24 PM   #47
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
Trump will be re-elected.

Edited to make clear I think this would be a terrible thing, but I really do think it will happen.
Trump will lose the popular vote and the electoral college, file many lawsuits, and the Supremes will rule in his favor and declare him President for Life. Democrats will be rounded up and shot.
Old 1st January 2020, 10:51 PM   #48
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kali1137 View Post
Monkeys, who have been plotting for years now, will finally attempt to take over the world. Much poo will be flung.
Just keep them away from a multitude of typewriters and we'll be fine. Otherwise it'd be Tragic.
Old 2nd January 2020, 12:27 AM   #49
leafman91
Critical Thinker

Alrighty folks, long time no see. Let's begin:
  • Playstation 5 will be commercially available by November 2020
  • Donald Trump will be arrested, but not for the crime he's being impeached for
  • California will be on fire a lot
  • Scott Morrison is going to be removed from office
  • I will secure gainful employment in time to purchase a PlayStation 5
  • Jacinda Ardern will hold on to being Prime Minister, barely
  • There's gonna be another mass shooting in the USA. Barely counts as a prediction at this point.
  • There's going to be an attempted mass shooting in New Zealand or Australia
  • Air-conditioning will be involved in an attempted 'act of terror'
  • Cyberpunk 2077 will receive critical acclaim, followed by backlash from the alt-right for 'propaganda'
  • Some nationalist group or other will protest the release of Watchogs Legion
  • Some crappy reboot will be destroyed in cinemas
  • The first "Internet Streaming Cable Packages" will start hitting the mainstream
Old 2nd January 2020, 01:04 AM   #50
angrysoba
Philosophile

The rapture will occur on February 13th, 8:11. All the sinners (gamblers, fornicators, drug takers) will be condemned to Hell, and all the innocents (the sober, the chaste, those with utmost humility) will be taken off to Heaven where they can live a joyful eternity of praising the LORD.

I bet you a million dollars it happens!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 06:22 AM   #51
LibraryLady
Emeritus

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Trump will lose the popular vote and the electoral college, file many lawsuits, and the Supremes will rule in his favor and declare him President for Life. Democrats will be rounded up and shot.
The fact that that is a reply to my post scares the hell out of me.
Old 2nd January 2020, 06:28 AM   #52
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
The rapture will occur on February 13th, 8:11. All the sinners (gamblers, fornicators, drug takers) will be condemned to Hell, and all the innocents (the sober, the chaste, those with utmost humility) will be taken off to Heaven where they can live a joyful eternity of praising the LORD.

What if you're a sober gambler?

Coin flip?
Old 2nd January 2020, 07:53 PM   #53
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post

Sorry, you have condemned yourself to hell. You have expressed a willingness to gamble where you cannot win. If the rapture happens then you cannot collect. If it does not happen then you lose.
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:30 PM   #54
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Peter Dutton will become Australian PM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 09:29 PM   #55
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

A year from now we'll all be looking back at this one with 2020 hindsight.
Old 2nd January 2020, 09:35 PM   #56
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Australia will have a new PM, but not Peter.
Old 2nd January 2020, 11:40 PM   #57
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Australia will have a new PM, but not Peter.
Peter sure wants it. Who is your tip?
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2020, 01:37 AM   #58
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Peter sure wants it. Who is your tip?
How about a rank outsider? There has been 6 PMs since John Howard lost his seat in 2004. None faced more than one election as PM. The longest was Julia Gillard who lasted 3 years 3 days. The main people will not want the job, as they will lose the 2021 election.

Edit. Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_of_Australia
Old 3rd January 2020, 01:33 PM   #59
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

So (rule of), nobody predicted the Iran thing!
Old 3rd January 2020, 09:06 PM   #60
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Sorry, you have condemned yourself to hell. You have expressed a willingness to gamble where you cannot win. If the rapture happens then you cannot collect. If it does not happen then you lose.
I’m just ensuring I go to Hell!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 02:15 AM   #61
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Betelgeuse will not go supernova. I know because Scott Manley said so.

But I hope it does.
Or at least, the light from it reaches earth.

A supernova is the one astronomical feature I'm still waiting for, so I hope it gets here soon.

No chance.

Trump wins.
Morrison stays in power.
The EU tips into recession after the June quarter.
Charles assumes regency.
Putin laughs a lot.
Old 8th January 2020, 07:14 PM   #62
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I just heard from Neptune Orbitwatch! They agree with the other top Neptune orbit monitoring agencies like Neptuniac, Neptune's Orbit, Fly In Circles Ol' Neppy, and the other fifty leaders in the industry that Neptune's orbit is, at this very instant, exactly where we'd expect it to be. Thousands of dedicated Neptune orbiteers are carefully observing the situation and will spring into instant action should any deviation be detected.

But consider giving these hardworking organizations some help. A small donation from each of us can help fight the good fight and keep the watch steady! Contact your local government's Office of Neptune's Orbit to request a list of verified Neptune's orbit monitoring charities. With over 35,000 registered nonprofits worldwide dedicated solely to this vital task it has never been easier to give. And further---wait! Wait! OMG, they just detected a massive---

Nevermind, false alarm. Neptune's orbit continues as it was. There was a bug on the lens.
Old 9th January 2020, 04:56 PM   #63
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I predict that the Pope will be charged with attempted murder. He beat the hell out of that hand grabber woman. It was horrifying to watch.
Old 9th January 2020, 07:11 PM   #64
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

If anyone's found Neptune's orbit, please return it to Neptune immediately. It was last seen in a McDonald's, ordering a 20-pack McNuggets but requesting no dipping sauces. This is alarming on many levels. Wheels within wheels, something sinister is afoot.
Old 9th January 2020, 08:28 PM   #65
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
There was a bug on the lens.
And I for one ... etc etc
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 07:50 AM   #66
Drewbot
Philosopher

I predict Bigfoot will not be discovered.
Drewbot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 07:51 AM   #67
LibraryLady
Emeritus

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
But that's just because they're so crafty.
Old 15th January 2020, 08:01 AM   #68
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump promised he would!

If not in his first term, then his second!
Old 15th January 2020, 08:36 AM   #69
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

Plot Twist: Trump IS Bigfoot.
Old 15th January 2020, 08:56 AM   #70
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
But that's just because they're so crafty.
Right, an elusive relict hominoid that evades human discovery, by doing things that aren't elusive...

Throwing rocks at people
Killing Chickens and Dogs
Peering in Trailer park windows
Stomping in the woods near enough to hear but not quite see.

Super elusive and crafty, right?
Drewbot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 09:36 AM   #71
welshdean
BESTEST RUGBY TEAM
        IN THE
NORTHEN HEMISPHERE

Here's a longshot, Lothian will finally lose his virginity.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 09:40 AM   #72
welshdean
BESTEST RUGBY TEAM
        IN THE
NORTHEN HEMISPHERE

Gold will reach $1,630 early 2020 (late Feb - early Mar), but will settle back to $1,570 by Dec.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 10:37 AM   #73
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Russia will hack the 2020 election in such an obvious manner that it will make it necessary to annul and repeat it, after election security can be established - which will take months.
Old 15th January 2020, 12:10 PM   #74
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

It'll be only 50 weeks long.

At least as far as my daily todo list & log file goes, because I lost the whole thing yesterday and have started over.
Old 15th January 2020, 12:55 PM   #75
LibraryLady
Emeritus

Right, an elusive relict hominoid that evades human discovery, by doing things that aren't elusive...

Throwing rocks at people
Killing Chickens and Dogs
Peering in Trailer park windows
Stomping in the woods near enough to hear but not quite see.

Super elusive and crafty, right?
See?
Old 15th January 2020, 08:53 PM   #76
Myriad
Hyperthetical

2,020 predictions seems like a lot of predictions to make. I can maybe give you 5% of that number.

1. The swelling will go down soon.
2. You won’t believe your eyes.
3. Rain's on the way.
4. Soon, all the kids will be doing it.
5. You'll shoot your eye out.
6. You're not going out dressed like that.
7. That's going to sting tomorrow.
8. If you don't bother it, it won't bother you.
9. It sure ain't gonna happen on my watch.
10. You'll save some money now, but it'll cost you more in the long run.
11. You're doomed.
12. That kind of glue won’t work on those materials.
13. If you cook it on high, it'll come out tough.
14. Stop that, or you'll break it.
15. It'll get worse before it gets better.
16. You're going to regret this.
17. You'll find it in the last place you look.
18. If you keep scratching it, it won't get better.
19. It'll cost more to fix it than to buy a new one.
20. Time will tell.
21. Your luck's got to change sometime.
22. Those batteries have been in the drawer so long, they're probably dead.
23. Tickets are sure to sell out fast.
24. We're not getting out of here alive.
25. There's never one around when you need one.
26. That dog won't hunt.
27. We're in for a spell o' weather.
28. You'll be sorry.
29. The pendulum will swing back the other way sooner or later.
30. You'll thank me later.
31. It's going to leave a scar.
32. The younger generation will never understand.
33. You’re going to need a new roof soon.
34. That color will look different on your own walls.
35. Nobody will notice.
36. You’ll come crawling back like you always do.
37. In a few hours you’ll be hungry again.
38. If you don’t leave now you’ll get caught in traffic.
39. You’re never going to amount to anything.
40. Just when you think you’re out, they’ll pull you back in.
41. The sequel won’t be as good.
42. If you don’t do it, nobody will.
43. You shouldn’t have eaten that.
44. It’ll be marked down in a few weeks.
45. If you keep doing that you’re going to get a reputation.
46. It’ll grow back.
47. The train is going to be late.
48. The holidays will be here before you know it.
49. It’s not as much fun as it looks in the video.
50. You’ll need to pick up some milk tomorrow.
51. You’re not getting a pony.
52. It’ll arrive next week for sure. Or maybe the week after.
53. You’ll never get back the time you spent learning trigonometric identities.
54. Maybe they will, and maybe they won’t.
55. It’s true, but nobody will ever believe it.
56. Nothing’s going to stop us now.
57. If you think that’s all there is to it, you’ve got another think coming.
58. Walmart does sell it but you don’t want to buy it there.
59. It’ll need an adaptor.
60. Nothing will be done about it until after somebody gets killed.
61. If’s going to be a season full of spectacular highlights.
62. You’ll get used to it.
63. Mark my words, it’ll all end in tears.
64. Your call will be answered in the order it was received.
65. This game will be decided by which team puts the most points on the scoreboard.
66. The head office will never authorize it.
67. Those carbs won’t do your waistline any good.
68. It’s out of stock in your size.
69. The police are going to want to talk to you.
70. Someone’s going to have to get under there to clean it.
71. Don’t get too comfortable, because you can’t stay there.
72. Next comes the fun part.
73. The hell you will.
74. You’ll understand when you have kids of your own.
75. It won’t fit back into the box.
76. Your time will come.
77. You’re getting too old for this ****.
78. This isn’t going to end how you think it will.
79. You will meet a stranger.
80. Big changes are a-coming.
81. Nature will take its course.
82. Haters gonna hate.
83. You’ll have to see it to believe it.
84. That stain will never come out.
85. It won’t make any difference.
86. There will be side effects.
87. You’ll know it when you see it.
88. You’ll come out ahead if you play your cards right.
89. It’ll all be clear in hindsight.
90. When is it going to be enough? It’s never going to be enough.
91. If you don’t eat your meat, you won’t get any pudding.
92. It’s only halfway through the book, so the hero clearly isn’t really dead.
93. You’re home free. Nothing could possibly stop you now.
94. Your destination is one quarter mile ahead, on the right.
95. Dinner will be ready soon.
96. If you can’t connect the dots, you’ll never penetrate.
97. You will get fooled again.
98. You’ll get her home by eleven, or else.
99. This will all turn out to be one big misunderstanding.
100. A six-position multi-function tailgate won’t make you happy.
101. You won’t read all of these.
Old 15th January 2020, 08:56 PM   #77
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Well that last one was spot-on.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2020, 01:53 AM   #78
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

[quote=The Atheist;12942702
Putin laughs a lot.[/QUOTE]

Well, that one's already coming home to roost: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...110750948.html
Old 16th January 2020, 06:25 AM   #79
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

#75 is like a cruel manufacturer's joke.
Old 16th January 2020, 09:13 AM   #80
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Neptune orbital update: some cruel prankster has replaced Neptune with a store brand gas planet. Please return the original by Friday, it's needed to star in an off-Broadway experimental play in which the audience is collectively a single character that is part of the plot. It's not going to make a dime.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal