ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th January 2020, 03:52 PM   #121
GodMark2
Master Poster

According to CalSky, the SpaceX Starlink constellation is currently rising in that area at around 18:00 local time, right about when the sightings are said to occur.
Old 7th January 2020, 05:45 PM   #122
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Here is a HDVR Fox13 news story with a still photo of three drones:

https://kdvr.com/2020/01/06/large-dr...-fort-collins/

Here is a CBS News video that they shot of multiple drones. A viewer reported seeing drones for the past several days, so CBS News sent out a reporter with the view and captured this video.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mysteri...ay-2020-01-06/
Old 7th January 2020, 05:54 PM   #123
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

None of the photos or videos, fuzzy or unsatisfactory as they may be, is consistent with the highly distinctive character of the Starlink train, which is a single-file line of satellites, all moving at the same rate in the same direction.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2020, 07:50 AM   #124
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
None of the photos or videos, fuzzy or unsatisfactory as they may be, is consistent with the highly distinctive character of the Starlink train, which is a single-file line of satellites, all moving at the same rate in the same direction.
You're missing the point. No one is suggesting any one explanation. All of the different sources of lights in the sky, of which some might just be drones, may contribute to the myth. But, no good evidence has been submitted yet to make me believe that fleets of six-foot drones are regularly flying in formation over that area.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2020, 08:21 AM   #125
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And none of the photos and videos are supporting the claims of formations of drones night after night in the same area, as if searching and so on.

I'm now pretty convinced this is typical mass sighting behaviour. Yes there are some people who probably have seen a drone or two flying around, I agree some of the photos and videos probably show a drone or two.

However what we are seeing is many different things being sighted in the night sky being conflated together to make a narrative.
Old 9th January 2020, 10:34 AM   #126
llwyd
Muse

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I'm now pretty convinced this is typical mass sighting behaviour. Yes there are some people who probably have seen a drone or two flying around, I agree some of the photos and videos probably show a drone or two.
Well, sure, this is a very possible explanation. But I still see a certain difference to typical UFO crazes: first, basically no-one seems to offer any wildly unlikely explanations and the authorities freely reveal to the media that they are concretely investigating the sightings and asking for assistance. I don't know, maybe this happened back in the 60's and 70's but I don't recall anything like that since then. So that makes me think that maybe there is some out of the ordinary drone related activity really going on in that remote area.
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2020, 11:31 AM   #127
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by llwyd View Post
Well, sure, this is a very possible explanation. But I still see a certain difference to typical UFO crazes: first, basically no-one seems to offer any wildly unlikely explanations and the authorities freely reveal to the media that they are concretely investigating the sightings and asking for assistance. I don't know, maybe this happened back in the 60's and 70's but I don't recall anything like that since then. So that makes me think that maybe there is some out of the ordinary drone related activity really going on in that remote area.
But this out of the ordinary behaviour despite apparently going on all over the place remains elusive in terms of being recorded.
Old 9th January 2020, 01:57 PM   #128
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
But this out of the ordinary behaviour despite apparently going on all over the place remains elusive in terms of being recorded.
Again, that seems to be a matter of opinion. There are many photographs and videos, and while they may not be satisfying, none has yet really been inconsistent with drones of the type and character being reported.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2020, 02:08 PM   #129
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

The problem for me, is that the videos I've watched, which purport to show "multiple drones flying in formation" show a single drone.

i.e. a drone with a single flashing light on the base, and position indicators on each motor. Depending on the position of the observer, this may be reported as anything from one to nine 'drones'. (imagine a commercial eight rotor drone with position indicators on the outsides of the motors).

The other thing to bear in mind, is that three lights in the sky can only form one of two shapes: a line, or a triangle. Neither of these two possibilities indicate flying in formation.

Add that to "look how fast [Venus] is flying behind the clouds, we're doing a hundred miles an hour and we ain't catching up."

Oh well, not as exciting as formation flights of drones patrolling the sky in a grid pattern I suppose.
Old 9th January 2020, 02:34 PM   #130
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
The problem for me, is that the videos I've watched, which purport to show "multiple drones flying in formation" show a single drone.
I can see six lights in the scene at 0:08. Not in formation. Can't tell if the lights are drones.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ories-n1108941
Old 9th January 2020, 02:46 PM   #131
Checkmite

I think this might just be a case of a disagreement in terms. Understandably, when many people hear "drones in formation", they're thinking of airshow events with dozens of little lights packed into proximity, clearly outlining a specific shape - like a bird or something.

When the various civil and law enforcement sources conveying the reports says "formation", it's possible they're just referring to the fact of numbers of drones being in the sky at the same time and quite apparently related to or operating in concert with one another. It might be obvious to someone who is observing by eye that two or more drones that aren't necessarily right next to each other, or even close enough to make it into the same picture if they try to take one, are flying parallel courses at the same speeds.

And, yet again, there's the case that phone cameras suck enough at taking pictures of the night sky that all of the lights the observer sees aren't necessarily making it into the video clip.
Old 9th January 2020, 04:23 PM   #132
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I can see six lights in the scene at 0:08. Not in formation. Can't tell if the lights are drones.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ories-n1108941
Yes, I can see 3 moving objects in 3 seconds of the clip.

The voiceover talks about 30 objects, and talks about the couple chasing "a line of drones" at 70 miles an hour. The second is clearly the Starlink train, and the couple's footage shows them chasing Venus.

Seriously, I have no doubt that there are individuals out there flying drones, no big deal. The rest of it, not so much.

By the way, I frequently watch satellites flying overhead when the conditions are right (about an hour after sunset), and they look just like the 3 seconds of the clip.
Old 9th January 2020, 04:43 PM   #133
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Yes, I can see 3 moving objects in 3 seconds of the clip.
I can see 6 points of light in that video. I can't tell if they are moving. If you can't see all 6 then I can do arrows for you.
Old 9th January 2020, 05:03 PM   #134
Checkmite

The voiceover talks about 30 objects, and talks about the couple chasing "a line of drones" at 70 miles an hour. The second is clearly the Starlink train, and the couple's footage shows them chasing Venus.
None of the videos in the linked news report shows the Starlink train; not sure where you're getting that from.
Old 10th January 2020, 05:02 PM   #135
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

None of the videos in the linked news report shows the Starlink train; not sure where you're getting that from.
When the couple talks about chasing a line of drones at 70 miles per hour, it is obvious to everyone except you, that they are chasing the StarLink chain.
Old 10th January 2020, 06:51 PM   #136
Checkmite

When the couple talks about chasing a line of drones at 70 miles per hour, it is obvious to everyone except you, that they are chasing the StarLink chain.
The news clip's narrator describes it as "a line of drones"; the couple themselves say no such thing. In point of fact they took a video of the lights they chased, which the news clip shows a portion of, calling it "enhanced". It shows a cluster of lights, but they are not in a single-file line like the Starlink chain is. Contrary to your assertion, the objects in the video, that the couple chased, are in fact very obviously not Starlink.
Old 10th January 2020, 07:11 PM   #137
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

In this video at about 0:05 you can see a (somewhat) close-up of the flying thing. To me the lights look like a regular plane or jet. There seems to be a flashing light at each wingtip and then another flashing light on the fuselage or tail or whatever part of the "body". There are also some other steady lights on this thing that don't flash.

I can't tell if this is a drone or a regular private or commercial plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GccgAEvvEWw
Old 10th January 2020, 07:22 PM   #138
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Here are the 6 points of light that I was talking about. I now think that my blue arrows are ground lights (probably homes). My yellow arrows seem to be pointing to lights up in the air. But then I don't know if anyone is claiming that those lower 3 lights are not ground lights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drone6.jpg (15.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 10th January 2020, 07:26 PM   #139
Checkmite

I cannot tell either.

If it is an actual airplane, there should be a steady red light on the leftmost wingtip and a steady white light facing rearward on the tail. A steady green light on the right wing would be out of sight from the apparent perspective of the camera in these videos, but the red one should be plain to see. The general white-ish non-strobe lights illuminating the wings would not be complaint aircraft lighting.
Old 10th January 2020, 07:27 PM   #140
Checkmite

Here are the 6 points of light that I was talking about. I now think that my blue arrows are ground lights (probably homes). My yellow arrows seem to be pointing to lights up in the air. But then I don't know if anyone is claiming that those lower 3 lights are not ground lights.
The largest of those lights look like the Moon to me.
Old 10th January 2020, 07:42 PM   #141
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I cannot tell either.

If it is an actual airplane, there should be a steady red light on the leftmost wingtip and a steady white light facing rearward on the tail. A steady green light on the right wing would be out of sight from the apparent perspective of the camera in these videos, but the red one should be plain to see. The general white-ish non-strobe lights illuminating the wings would not be complaint aircraft lighting.
I've got a hi-definition monitor on full screen. I can see 3 steady lights on the left wingtip along with a flasher there. It's hard to determine the color. Those look amber-ish but maybe red.

The flasher on the "body" is almost certainly red.
Old 10th January 2020, 07:44 PM   #142
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The largest of those lights look like the Moon to me.
It does. But I wasn't going to rule out a nearby flying thing.

Does this witness make a claim of how many "drones" can be seen in their video?
Old 10th January 2020, 07:57 PM   #143
Checkmite

It does. But I wasn't going to rule out a nearby flying thing.

Does this witness make a claim of how many "drones" can be seen in their video?
I don't know; you're the one who took the screenshot. Did they?

The photos and video clips that appear in the news reports are usually not given much context. Sometimes multiple different images are shown on screen while a witness is describing a sighting, making it confusing as to which of the images is supposed to have been taken by the speaking witness (if any).
Old 10th January 2020, 08:23 PM   #144
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

There is no formation or discernible organization. I would call it willy-nilly.

I would show these three videos to the witnesses who said that saw "grid formation". Then ask them to talk about what they see here and compare it to what they saw.

I can't imagine any relationship of these three videos and some sort of natural resource survey or search. Willy-nilly!

This is not an expanse of desolate wilderness. This area is well populated. Look at all the ground lights.
Old 10th January 2020, 08:33 PM   #145
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I don't know; you're the one who took the screenshot. Did they?
I find it most productive for myself to have the sound off. I never listened to any of it. I figure that I can use my eyes alone. I don't like to listen to news reports. I would much rather read a report or even a transcript. I'm probably an oddball for that.

You are doing a lot of research and work on this and I thought perhaps you had notes on what this witness may have said. I'm always intrigued when witness testimony doesn't match what they capture on camera. Such as a photo or video of a black housecat which the witness says is a black panther.
Old 14th January 2020, 11:44 AM   #146
crescent
Illuminator

Colorado public safety’s search for mysterious drones comes up empty

Quote:
Of those 23 reports, 13 sightings were determined to be planets, stars or small hobbyist drones; six sightings were determined to be due to atmospheric conditions or commercial aircraft; and in four sightings, law enforcement confirmed that they saw something but couldn’t tell what, exactly, was flying overhead.
I am not surprised by this.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 12:46 PM   #147
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Sadly I'm not either, it was bad enough before the instant feedback of social media. I think we will see many more instances. As I commented earlier we closed down our 2nd national airport based on such reports.
Old 14th January 2020, 02:56 PM   #148
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

The "planets" part I can certainly understand, I've been astonished how bright Venus appears on many occasions.

Similarly, the line of satellites in the sky is very unusual, and very likely to catch a person's attention. I keep meaning to go out in the evening to watch them go past, but keep forgetting.
Old 14th January 2020, 03:16 PM   #149
Thermal
Philosopher

My guess is that reports of drones got a lot of people looking skyward who normally don't, who then found that the heavens are quite alive.

Still doesn't account for the major sightings.

Also, determining what someone actually saw after the fact is guesswork. Lot of room for subjectivity, there.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 03:22 PM   #150
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Still doesn't account for the major sightings.
Do you mean the large number of drones with six-foot wingspans flying in an organized grid formation?
Old 14th January 2020, 03:25 PM   #151
Checkmite

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Quote:
A report last week that a drone flew dangerously close to a medical helicopter “does not appear to be related to the northeastern drone activity,” the statement said, in part because it involved only one drone and happened during daylight hours.
Interesting, I hadn't heard about this incident. Drone operators interfering with aircraft operations has been a problem since long before this flap, of course.

I'd been wondering why I hadn't really heard of any new alleged activity for the last week. I surmise that people began making their reports directly to the investigators after the investigation began, rather than posting them on social media.
Old 14th January 2020, 04:15 PM   #152
Deadie
Scholar

I would show these three videos to the witnesses who said that saw "grid formation". Then ask them to talk about what they see here and compare it to what they saw.
Well it's not as though this is a singular event that occurred one single night, so why bother? If the witnesses initial assumption was that what they saw was "flying in formation" in their mind and memory, even if objectively incorrect, then that is exactly what they will recall.
Deadie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2020, 08:31 AM   #153
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Colorado Public Safety
or small hobbyist drones
That's it? The story just ends?

So nobody ever saw a drone with a six-foot wingspan?
Old 17th January 2020, 08:59 AM   #154
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Nope. But some did think they had.
Old 17th January 2020, 09:32 AM   #155
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Is this the sudden death of a myth, or the birth of a new legend? Authorities have always said that there is no functional evidence for Bigfoot but that didn't stop anything.

Time will tell if we get more reports of organized fleets of drones. As with Bigfoot these reports would not need to come from a particular region. If a folk phenomenon becomes established then it will be unstoppable - as it is with Bigfoot.
Old 17th January 2020, 10:53 AM   #156
Checkmite

Except unlike bigfeet, drones are real.
Old 17th January 2020, 11:01 AM   #157
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Except unlike bigfeet, drones are real.
Myths and legends of non-existent things are all fundamentally the same. They tend to be born, survive and mature on anecdotes.

Open your mind.
Old 17th January 2020, 11:03 AM   #158
rockysmith76
Suspended

Myths and legends of non-existent things are all fundamentally the same. They tend to be born, survive and mature on anecdotes.

Open your mind.
And manned by imaginary new england bighorn sheep.
rockysmith76 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 04:08 AM   #159
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Has there been anymore stories about this? My googling doesn't seem to have anything new but it's not great with the more local sites.
Old 20th January 2020, 10:22 PM   #160
Checkmite

I haven't seen any new stories or reports since a couple of days before Crescent posted his link.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events