ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 11th January 2020, 07:43 AM   #1
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator
 
zooterkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Berkshire, mostly
Posts: 44,544
Woman jailed for posing as boy to assault girls

Another slightly bizarre case in the media this week.
Quote:
A woman who posed as a teenage boy to groom girls as young as 13 online and travelled around the country to sexually abuse them has been jailed for eight years.

Some of the vulnerable girls targeted by Gemma Watts, 21, were so traumatised by their ordeals and a sense of betrayal that they have self-harmed or tried to kill themselves.

Watts, who used the alias “Jake Waton”, was jailed for seven offences involving four girls but detectives believe she may have groomed as many as 50 teenagers and are appealing for other victims to come forward.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.Bertrand Russell
Zooterkin is correct Darat
Nerd! Hokulele
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2020, 09:03 AM   #2
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,339
Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post

It's interesting that somebody with a very low IQ can be as devious as this:
Quote:
“The level of manipulation and deceit used by Watts to snare her victims in this case was truly shocking.”
In this respect, she reminds me of the very stable genius.

And it wouldn't require a lot of intelligence to realize that it would be easier to approach girls who are into girls, not boys, even though it narrows the field, unless the whole point of her kink is to fool straight girls.
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2020, 09:28 AM   #3
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,169
Maybe this person is a "heterosexual man inside a woman's body" and therefore pursuing lesbians is not of any interest. If so, then this person doesn't want a female who is interested in females... because this person identifies as male.

But I don't know.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2020, 02:23 PM   #4
Venom
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 3,904
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Maybe this person is a "heterosexual man inside a woman's body" and therefore pursuing lesbians is not of any interest. If so, then this person doesn't want a female who is interested in females... because this person identifies as male.

But I don't know.
Not out of the question.

I'm not sure what grooming is supposed to mean though. Seeking and befriending them to get them to open up?

ETA: I guess it's a specific legal term.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2020, 05:05 PM   #5
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,411
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Not out of the question.

I'm not sure what grooming is supposed to mean though. Seeking and befriending them to get them to open up?

ETA: I guess it's a specific legal term.
Originally Posted by US Legal
Child grooming refers to an act of deliberately establishing an emotional connection with a child to prepare the child for child abuse.
So yes.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2020, 06:19 PM   #6
Venom
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 3,904
Being low IQ she probably is for all intents and purposes a child herself, unless that's the sociopath in her talking.

It's probably too intangible a factor to make a dent in public opinion, or the judge's for that matter.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2020, 07:08 PM   #7
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger
 
rjh01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Flying around in the sky
Posts: 25,323
I think this shows that a person can still be very bright in certain ways, even if they have low IQ. Like they have a good ability to get people to like them in order to control them. But give them a maths test and they will do poorly.
__________________
This signature is for rent.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2020, 09:49 PM   #8
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,451
Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I think this shows that a person can still be very bright in certain ways, even if they have low IQ. Like they have a good ability to get people to like them in order to control them. But give them a maths test and they will do poorly.
Looking at the photos of her as a boy, I have to assume that the victims were a few standard deviations below the mean themselves.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2020, 02:55 AM   #9
Hungry81
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,324
I remember a couple of years back about a similar occurance. That fe/male got sent to prison. Then there was that pornographic actress who was e-chastised to suicide because she didn't want to screw a gay actor on film.

The rules and implications about a gay or straight cisgender person unwittingly sleeping with a transgender of either persuasion is confusing, but not something that is likely to personally affect me.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2020, 07:38 AM   #10
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 89,801
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Looking at the photos of her as a boy, I have to assume that the victims were a few standard deviations below the mean themselves.
Let's just say that what you say is correct, what does it matter, what relevance does it have?
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2020, 01:05 PM   #11
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger
 
rjh01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Flying around in the sky
Posts: 25,323
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Let's just say that what you say is correct, what does it matter, what relevance does it have?
It just makes it easier for her to do. Changes the event from almost impossible to believable. She was going for the vulnerable. She may have targeted certain people but they said 'go away, you are suspect.' So she left them alone and went for someone else. Just like when Microsoft rings you up.
__________________
This signature is for rent.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 02:26 AM   #12
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 89,801
Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
It just makes it easier for her to do. Changes the event from almost impossible to believable. She was going for the vulnerable. She may have targeted certain people but they said 'go away, you are suspect.' So she left them alone and went for someone else. Just like when Microsoft rings you up.
Apparently she also fooled the parents of some of the girls over multiple times. I suggest that folk remember we often see what we expect to see.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 07:11 AM   #13
Armitage72
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,866
It's my understanding that female predators operating online are quite rare. I remember the law enforcement people who assisted in the making of "To Catch a Predator" saying that the show only caught male predators because female predators most commonly target victims to whom they already have access.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 07:12 AM   #14
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 89,801
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It's my understanding that female predators operating online are quite rare. I remember the law enforcement people who assisted in the making of "To Catch a Predator" saying that the show only caught male predators because female predators most commonly target victims to whom they already have access.
I suspect with the changes in culture and society over the last decades we will see this changing.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 07:30 AM   #15
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger
 
Ian Osborne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 8,159
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Apparently she also fooled the parents of some of the girls over multiple times. I suggest that folk remember we often see what we expect to see.
Or maybe they suspected, and didn't want to mention anything, in case their daughter was in a consensual relationship with another girl, but not yet ready to come out.
__________________
"Faith without doubt leads to moral arrogance, the eternal pratfall of the religiously convinced" - Joe Klein, Time magazine

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 11:12 AM   #16
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,169
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Apparently she also fooled the parents of some of the girls over multiple times. I suggest that folk remember we often see what we expect to see.
If the parents are woke then the concept of "that boy is a girl" is nowhere in their heads. The person visiting their daughter is whatever they say they are. To tell their daughter that the boy isn't actually a boy is a stark demonstration of not being woke.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 09:54 AM   #17
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,003
Quote:
In her victim impact statement, the teenager said her “heart exploded” when she found out Jake was an adult woman. She said she had loved Jake and thought she could tell him everything.
I've heard about hearts breaking, but "heart explosion"? That's on another level altogether.
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 09:57 AM   #18
Armitage72
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,866
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
I've heard about hearts breaking, but "heart explosion"? That's on another level altogether.

It's probably similar to "no two people have ever loved each other as much as we do", and just as nauseating.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 11:43 AM   #19
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire
 
bluesjnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Not where I should be.
Posts: 7,504
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
I've heard about hearts breaking, but "heart explosion"? That's on another level altogether.
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It's probably similar to "no two people have ever loved each other as much as we do", and just as nauseating.
Yeah, I know stupid bitch eh!
__________________
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 12:13 PM   #20
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,003
Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Yeah, I know stupid bitch eh!
If you say it so, i guess it must be so.
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 12:31 PM   #21
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 45,702
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
I've heard about hearts breaking, but "heart explosion"? That's on another level altogether.
First of the North Star, baby.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 12:36 PM   #22
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger
 
rjh01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Flying around in the sky
Posts: 25,323
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
I've heard about hearts breaking, but "heart explosion"? That's on another level altogether.
That expression does exist. Here is one example

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...box=1565775467

Quote:
“This man, who worked at a refugee camp near Zwolle in the Netherlands, out of the kindness of his own heart bought me a bike. My five-year-old heart exploded with joy,” she said.
__________________
This signature is for rent.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 12:36 PM   #23
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 89,801
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
If the parents are woke then the concept of "that boy is a girl" is nowhere in their heads. The person visiting their daughter is whatever they say they are. To tell their daughter that the boy isn't actually a boy is a stark demonstration of not being woke.
How would they have met her if they weren't awake?
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 12:51 PM   #24
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,169
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
How would they have met her him if they weren't awake?
I FTFY and please wake up.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 01:09 PM   #25
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,003
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I FTFY and please wake up.
Did we just skip a step or something? Like how did we go from "she was cross-dressing" to "she self-identifies as a man/boy"?
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 01:48 PM   #26
Hungry81
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,324
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Did we just skip a step or something? Like how did we go from "she was cross-dressing" to "she self-identifies as a man/boy"?
Because the transgender "its true if you really believe it, biology be damned!" argument is his best defense. Plus his girlfriends were in love with a man, and they are not lesbians or bi sexual.

Case Closed.

If he wants to admit its a scam, or taking a perverse pleasure in fooling cisgender heterosexual girls into lesbian acts, plead guilty, or admit to being a desperate girl who made foolish choices in the search for love, that's a convincing evidence that he's actually a woman. Otherwise who are we to judge a man with a vagina, presumably female breasts and a uterus and ovaries? Its not his fault he was born that way.


.

Last edited by Hungry81; 14th January 2020 at 01:52 PM.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 01:58 PM   #27
I Am The Scum
Illuminator
 
I Am The Scum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,244
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Did we just skip a step or something? Like how did we go from "she was cross-dressing" to "she self-identifies as a man/boy"?
He's making yet another poor attempt at edgy humor.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 02:44 PM   #28
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 89,801
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I FTFY and please wake up.
Nope she was a she.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 03:40 PM   #29
Elagabalus
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,354
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
If the parents are woke then the concept of "that boy is a girl" is nowhere in their heads. The person visiting their daughter is whatever they say they are. To tell their daughter that the boy isn't actually a boy is a stark demonstration of not being woke.
You didn't read my link from from last summer.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=137

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
If you haven't already, you should check out the documentary "The Imposter". There's more twists and turns than you can shake a stick at.

There's also this famous case in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...end-having-sex

There might be a BBC special up on Youtube about it.



She always wore a hoodie* when they would meet up, and even though the two were very good friends (before all this unpleasantness happened) the friend did not recognize her. Bizarre.


*just like the dude from yesterday.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 05:18 PM   #30
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 16,318
So unfortunate part of this discussion has degenerated into the often revisited anti-transgender views of certain posters. I’ll avoid asking why this is such an emotional issue for some, but instead point out that there is already a lengthy thread on this topic.

As for this thread: there is no evidence the perp considered themselves a male. Second the gender identity of the perp, cis or trans, does not affect the nature or severity of the crime.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 05:24 PM   #31
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator
 
Roger Ramjets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,332
Originally Posted by dann View Post
In this respect, she reminds me of the very stable genius.
Except that if she was biologically a male (like the 'very stable genius') we would never have heard about it. Or if we did it would be just be dismissed as 'locker room talk'.

Yet another example of the sexism ingrained in our society.
__________________
We don't want good, sound arguments. We want arguments that sound good.
Roger Ramjets is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 01:14 AM   #32
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire
 
bluesjnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Not where I should be.
Posts: 7,504
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
If you say it so, i guess it must be so.
Just summarising you. I caught your drift.
__________________
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 03:20 AM   #33
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,003
Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Just summarising you. I caught your drift.
I commented on the expression she used, then you brought up the fact that she was a "stupid bitch" out of nowhere. I'm not sure how inferred that i agreed with your opinion about her being a "stupid bitch" from what i posted, but whatever.
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

Last edited by Arcade22; 15th January 2020 at 03:21 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 06:41 AM   #34
Armitage72
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,866
Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
So unfortunate part of this discussion has degenerated into the often revisited anti-transgender views of certain posters. I’ll avoid asking why this is such an emotional issue for some, but instead point out that there is already a lengthy thread on this topic.

As for this thread: there is no evidence the perp considered themselves a male. Second the gender identity of the perp, cis or trans, does not affect the nature or severity of the crime.

It reminds me of a conversation I saw on another forum years ago. The topic had come up of a female professional wrestler who had started doing adult movies, and someone commented on the genital alterations that she had experienced due to prolonged steroid use, expressing regret about what she had done to herself for her career. Suddenly someone started accusing them of being transphobic, despite the fact that this woman had never identified as transgender or said anything suggesting that she was transgender.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 07:58 AM   #35
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire
 
bluesjnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Not where I should be.
Posts: 7,504
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
I commented on the expression she used, then you brought up the fact that she was a "stupid bitch" out of nowhere. I'm not sure how inferred that i agreed with your opinion about her being a "stupid bitch" from what i posted, but whatever.
It didn't, you inferred it. Own it.
__________________
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 08:02 AM   #36
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 44,513
The thing is, we are where we are. Anyone questioning the actual sex of someone who looks ambiguous is laying themselves wide open to damaging accusations of transphobia. It's perfectly possible at least some parents thought the woman was a transman, and said nothing because they knew that remarking on a transman's actual sex is considered socially unacceptable.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 08:43 AM   #37
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 89,801
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
The thing is, we are where we are. Anyone questioning the actual sex of someone who looks ambiguous is laying themselves wide open to damaging accusations of transphobia. It's perfectly possible at least some parents thought the woman was a transman, and said nothing because they knew that remarking on a transman's actual sex is considered socially unacceptable.
Some might have thought she was a reptilian shape shifter. We have just as much evidence for that as for your speculation.

Can't we stick to the facts we have?
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 08:51 AM   #38
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,003
Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
It didn't, you inferred it. Own it.
You were the one who called her a stupid bitch, not me.
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 08:56 AM   #39
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 19,231
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Some might have thought she was a reptilian shape shifter. We have just as much evidence for that as for your speculation.

Can't we stick to the facts we have?

Are you saying that if you thought your child's new playmate was actually of the opposite gender, you would broach the issue?

Because it seemed reasonable to me to suggest that it may not be politic to mention it.
__________________
Up the River!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 08:59 AM   #40
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger
 
Ian Osborne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 8,159
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It reminds me of a conversation I saw on another forum years ago. The topic had come up of a female professional wrestler who had started doing adult movies, and someone commented on the genital alterations that she had experienced due to prolonged steroid use, expressing regret about what she had done to herself for her career. Suddenly someone started accusing them of being transphobic, despite the fact that this woman had never identified as transgender or said anything suggesting that she was transgender.
Chyna?
__________________
"Faith without doubt leads to moral arrogance, the eternal pratfall of the religiously convinced" - Joe Klein, Time magazine

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:57 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.