ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags death rate , fatal disease , sepsis

Old 16th January 2020, 02:54 PM   #1
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

"Alarming" One In Five Deaths Due To Sepsis

'Alarming' one in five deaths due to sepsis

Originally Posted by BBC News
One in five deaths around the world is caused by sepsis, also known as blood poisoning, shows the most comprehensive analysis of the condition.

The report estimates 11 million people a year are dying from sepsis - more than are killed by cancer.

The researchers at the University of Washington said the "alarming" figures were double previous estimates. Most cases were in poor and middle income countries, but even wealthier nations are dealing with sepsis.

Previous global estimates, which came up with a figure of 19 million cases and 5 million deaths, were based on just a handful of western countries. This analysis, published in the Lancet and based on medical records from 195 nations, shows there are 49 million cases a year.

The 11 million deaths from sepsis account for one in five of all deaths around the world...
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51138859
Old 16th January 2020, 06:17 PM   #2
Venom
Illuminator

Yikes.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2020, 06:47 PM   #3
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

What are common causes of sepsis? Wounds that are untreated until it's too late? Infection after surgery?

That number is pretty alarming and much higher than I would have guessed. Wondering if there are things that we as individuals can do to avoid becoming one of those one in five.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2020, 07:06 PM   #4
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Having hip replacement surgery next week. They said there's a 5% chance of something going wrong (serious infection). That's 1 in 20 -- it does not make me feel easy.
Old 16th January 2020, 09:57 PM   #5
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
What are common causes of sepsis? Wounds that are untreated until it's too late? Infection after surgery?
Poverty I would surmise. (Yes, that's not a direct cause, only a risk factor).
Old 16th January 2020, 10:20 PM   #6
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Poverty I would surmise. (Yes, that's not a direct cause, only a risk factor).
Lack of access to clean water and medical services can be a direct contributor to infection and disease. If you cut yourself because you can't afford to sharpen your knife properly, and then you wash in a contaminated water source, that could lead to sepsis.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2020, 03:05 PM   #7
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Having hip replacement surgery next week. They said there's a 5% chance of something going wrong (serious infection). That's 1 in 20 -- it does not make me feel easy.

Infection is just one of many things that can go wrong: What are total hip replacement complications? (MedicineNet)
A friend of mine had hip replacement surgery 18 months ago - twice because something went wrong the first time. Nevertheless, she says it's the best thing she's ever done, and you can't tell when you see her walking today.
Another one had her second hip replaced in early December 2019. I danced salsa with her - v-e-r-y slowly - last weekend.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2020, 03:47 PM   #8
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I have heard nothing but good things about the post-op results of everyone that's had the hip done (I need both). I've been pushing for this for about 3 years but had other complications in the meantime.

I had open heart surgery/valve replacement about 18 months ago. Got an infection and had heart failure, requiring another operation. So my heightened concern is warranted, I think.
Old 18th January 2020, 04:16 PM   #9
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

My friend C got a slight scratch on her leg; two weeks later she was in an Intensive Care Unit with sepsis. The worst day was the one where I truly believed she was going to die right there in front of me.

Three years later she is just relearning walking, but she still cannot raise either of her arms above her shoulders.

If anyone seems to have any of the symptoms of sepsis, get help straight away. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/sepsis/
Old 18th January 2020, 05:10 PM   #10
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Horror stories abound...

A work colleague, about ten years older than me, had a mild tinea pedis infection between two small toes on his foot.

The next thing I heard, was that he was in hospital and it was "touch and go" because it had turned into cellulitis which caused sepsis.

It turned out that he was within a gnat's whisker of having his leg amputated.

Really scary stuff.

I believe that he is higher risk than me because of type II diabetes.
Old 18th January 2020, 05:55 PM   #11
Planigale
Illuminator

One of the problems is the end result of many conditions is 'sepsis'. But is this what you actually die from? Old people with dementia get pneumonia (the old man's friend) and die. The cause of death is labelled as sepsis because it was an infection, but the real cause was old age and dementia. Some one with advanced bowel cancer develops a leaky bowel, they die of peritonitis in the hospice; this is labelled as sepsis but was the real cause cancer? Infection is the final event in many people with advanced untreatable diseases, if you are an infectious diseases researcher you want to talk up sepsis, but the death is never going to be prevented by better treatment of infections because the underlying illness is progressive and untreatable.

That is not to say people don't die of infections, but the big infectious diseases TB, HIV, malaria, diarrhoea don't cause 'sepsis'*. Equally not all 'sepsis' events are due to infections. So in the case above the diabetic person who develops cellulitis may get sepsis as a result of that infection, and is at risk of death.

So in this paper the most common cause of sepsis is road traffic accidents. The best intervention to prevents these deaths from sepsis is therefore not medical but improved road safety. The commonest cause in children is congenital abnormalities, where prevention may mean better maternity services.

https://www.thelancet.com/action/sho...2819%2932989-7

*Like all things this is a generalisation. E.g. A sepsis event may be the end stage of advanced HIV but the sepsis is not directly caused by HIV.

Last edited by Planigale; 18th January 2020 at 05:57 PM.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2020, 06:06 PM   #12
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks Planigale.

Another issue related to what you're saying is double-counting causes of death. If we say that 1 in 5 deaths are caused by sepsis, you'd think that all other causes of death make up 4/5ths of the total. But if a cancer that lead to sepsis is both a death caused by that cancer and a death caused by sepsis, then you end up with more than 5/5ths, which just means I get less intuitive understanding of what 1/5th of deaths being caused by sepsis actually means relative to other causes of death.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2020, 02:23 AM   #13
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Sepsis is far from a common cause of death in Australia
Most people who die do so because of Ischaemic heart diseases, Dementia, Cerebrovascular diseases, Malignant neoplasm of trachea, bronchus and lung, Chronic lower respiratory diseases or Malignant neoplasm of colon, sigmoid, rectum and anus

If you go to the download tab there is a spreadsheet that goes into a lot more detail. It lists sepsis in a few places, but they are all rare causes of death. Suggest sepsis is mostly in countries with poor health care.

Ref: https://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@...8?OpenDocument

Edit. About 1% of deaths are caused by sepsis in Australia.

Last edited by rjh01; 19th January 2020 at 02:26 AM.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2020, 04:25 AM   #14
Planigale
Illuminator

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Sepsis is far from a common cause of death in Australia
Most people who die do so because of Ischaemic heart diseases, Dementia, Cerebrovascular diseases, Malignant neoplasm of trachea, bronchus and lung, Chronic lower respiratory diseases or Malignant neoplasm of colon, sigmoid, rectum and anus

If you go to the download tab there is a spreadsheet that goes into a lot more detail. It lists sepsis in a few places, but they are all rare causes of death. Suggest sepsis is mostly in countries with poor health care.

Ref: https://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@...8?OpenDocument

Edit. About 1% of deaths are caused by sepsis in Australia.
From sepsis Australia web site;
Quote:
Sepsis, defined as organ dysfunction due to an infection, is a major cause of morbidity and mortality worldwide. The annual incidence in the adult Australian population treated in an ICU has been estimated at 0.77/1000; corresponding to more than 15700 new cases each year, with an estimated cost per episode of AUD39300.

This estimate does not include patients not treated in an ICU and international estimates from the USA and Europe suggest that the total number may be three or four times higher. As approximately 5000 people die of sepsis in Australia each year, the burden of death from sepsis is greater than the annual national road toll and sepsis causes more deaths than breast, prostate or colo-rectal cancer.

More notably, the incidence of severe sepsis continues to increase both in Australia and in other countries. Sepsis causes or contributes to between one third and one half of all deaths in hospitals in the USA.
https://www.australiansepsisnetwork....s-epidemiology
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2020, 04:06 PM   #15
Elvis666
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
I've been hospitalized multiple times for sepsis due to an unexplained swelling of my left leg, three times to the point of death. The worst for me was after the foot ruptured and I had to have surgery that kept me hospitalized for 23 days. The worst for my wife was when it happened during the first night of vacation in the Outer Banks and I was admitted to the ICU in Chesapeake, Virginia.

After seeing doctors of every specialty that could possibly explain it, the consensus is that it just happens. I'm on a low dosage of an antibiotic, keep the legs elevated several hours a day, wash the leg with Hibiclens once a week, and take a massive dose of diuretic daily. So far, I've managed to stay out of the hospital for the past eight months.
Old 19th January 2020, 05:04 PM   #16
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Well it's only 50 in 1000, does that feel better?
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology