ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia incidents , spiders

Reply
Old 22nd January 2020, 09:53 PM   #41
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,773
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The spider bite within the sheets was confirmed by another news source and you are still doubling down?

I never said anything about rarity. I said a fact: When we arrived in Sydney (1978) there was a headline about a woman in Sydney who was just killed by a Sydney Funnel Web spider that was in her bed. I believe she had pulled the sheet back when it bit her but that detail might be an altered memory. Or not. We were in Australia from 1978 over into 1979.

I had never heard of Sydney Funnel Web spiders before then, we had just arrived in Sydney and there is no doubt it happened. Those are the kind of memories that stick with you.
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Is that your way of denying it happened? You couldn't find it on Google?

Did you find the account of each of the 13 deaths before 1981? Because Google has that information in numerous places. I just couldn't find the specifics of the 13.
Wut.

Not denying it at all. I simply can't find any more info about it. Can you?

Oh, and the stuff about the UK newspapers? It's because they have always portrayed Australia as being infested with all manner of dangerous creatures that will hunt you down in the night or drop on you in the daytime with big pointy teeth. Un-researched stories about yet another death-by-koala and so on. It's crap-level tabloid sensationalism so they can have a jolly good larf at the colonials. Good for a giggle here because it IS such crap.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2020, 10:07 PM   #42
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 65,488
Yeah, honestly, the threat is vastly exaggerated. Hardly anyone dies from Australian wildlife. More people are killed by cows than by snakes.
__________________
Self-described nerd.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2020, 10:30 PM   #43
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 78,763
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Wut.

Not denying it at all. I simply can't find any more info about it. Can you?

Oh, and the stuff about the UK newspapers? It's because they have always portrayed Australia as being infested with all manner of dangerous creatures that will hunt you down in the night or drop on you in the daytime with big pointy teeth. Un-researched stories about yet another death-by-koala and so on. It's crap-level tabloid sensationalism so they can have a jolly good larf at the colonials. Good for a giggle here because it IS such crap.
I never said the Sun wasn't a tabloid. Is this also a tabloid? https://www.qt.com.au/news/i-felt-so...y-leg/3133325/

When you say, "Not even Google seems to remember" that sounds like you are saying if it happened it would be on Google.

Especially when combined with you never acknowledging the cherry picking.


So, it's settled then, SFWs do find their way into beds. And you have no reason not to believe my account, it wasn't some other species of spider.
__________________
TRUMP CHEATS What color hat should I order with that logo? Red on black maybe? Or black on pink?

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2020, 10:38 PM   #44
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 78,763
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Yeah, honestly, the threat is vastly exaggerated. Hardly anyone dies from Australian wildlife. More people are killed by cows than by snakes.
Speaking of not being that concerned, we stayed in Tasmania for a month including a bit of camping and a lot of hiking. Taz has 4 snake species (three land and a sea snake species), all venomous. We were wading across a pond when a snake swam across it the other way.

We thought it was super cool. The best thing about Oz is the wildlife.
__________________
TRUMP CHEATS What color hat should I order with that logo? Red on black maybe? Or black on pink?

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2020, 10:43 PM   #45
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 65,488
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The best thing about Oz is the wildlife.
Well that's something that no sane person could disagree with.
__________________
Self-described nerd.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2020, 11:10 PM   #46
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,773
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I never said the Sun wasn't a tabloid. Is this also a tabloid? https://www.qt.com.au/news/i-felt-so...y-leg/3133325/
Uh, yeah! Circulation of under 20,000 per month, in a locality about the size of Pismo Beach. DEFINITELY a giant tabloid.

Quote:
When you say, "Not even Google seems to remember" that sounds like you are saying if it happened it would be on Google.
Correct. And if you want to pay a subscription, you can research newspapers online to find more about what happened with spider bites in Australia in 1978. One site has about 900 references, but I'm stuffed if I'm going to pay to look at all of them for this one thread.

So sincerely, where are you going with this?

Quote:
Especially when combined with you never acknowledging the cherry picking.
........what???

Quote:
So, it's settled then, SFWs do find their way into beds. And you have no reason not to believe my account, it wasn't some other species of spider.
Ah, so you thought I was completely discounting your story! I see.

Truth of the matter is that the probability of a funnel-web spider ending up in your bed would be the same as an attack by a mountain lion in California. It's exceptionally rare but it DOES happen, therefore it is "newsworthy". And therefore the UK press likes to make a thing of it.

These stories of the change in weather here will not cause legions of spiders to suddenly appear in our back yards. It simply raises the probability that they will be found more often. Most Sydneyites go through their entire life digging up their gardens without ever seeing a funnelweb spider. People with pools are more likely to find them - they may get two or three in the filter this year instead of one.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 22nd January 2020 at 11:12 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2020, 11:20 PM   #47
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 18,199
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Well that's something that no sane person could disagree with.
I'd argue only if you discount all the ******* flies.
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2020, 11:39 PM   #48
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 78,763
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Uh, yeah! Circulation of under 20,000 per month, in a locality about the size of Pismo Beach. DEFINITELY a giant tabloid.

Correct. And if you want to pay a subscription, you can research newspapers online to find more about what happened with spider bites in Australia in 1978. One site has about 900 references, but I'm stuffed if I'm going to pay to look at all of them for this one thread.

So sincerely, where are you going with this?

........what???
See post # 10

Quote:
Ah, so you thought I was completely discounting your story! I see.
Yes, you said so.

Post #4
Quote:
Yeah, nah.

They live in holes in the ground and try to catch stuff that walks by, like bigger insects. They don't prowl. So why would they go anywhere, especially into someone's house?

More likely it was a Whitetail spider.
So have you gone from that yet to, OK I believe you? Nope.

Quote:
[snipped stuff not in dispute]
__________________
TRUMP CHEATS What color hat should I order with that logo? Red on black maybe? Or black on pink?

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 12:00 PM   #49
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 19,739
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
See post # 10

Yes, you said so.

Post #4

So have you gone from that yet to, OK I believe you? Nope.
Are you really getting huffed that skeptics don't trust your 30+ year old memory of a passing news story that you can not find much support for?

You know how it works around here, for general you and I:
You make a claim.
I say I doubt it.
You say here are some unreliable sources that say something similar may have happened at a different time.
I say that doesn't really support your claim.
You say yeah you're right, I may have been drinking Fosters at the time.
(That blank line above is intentional.)
__________________
Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 23rd January 2020 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Added necessary reference to the National Beer of Outback Steakhouse Island
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 12:50 PM   #50
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,773
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Yes, you said so.

Post #4

So have you gone from that yet to, OK I believe you? Nope.
My profuse apologies. Let me explain.

One of the other things you should have remembered about Australians having visited is that we are VERY good at sarcasm, which is basically an ability to make amusing remarks in a deadpan way at another person's expense. This leads to the propensity for 'Strayans to lead their victims on with increasingly bizarre tales told as "truth" followed by an obvious revealing punchline. This can pass for amusing here.

It is the lack of ability by the victim to detect that they are indeed being mislead that is the amusing part. Gullibility. It's usually associated with their ignorance of the subject as well. Usually this ends in laughter when the victim realises they have been set up. Australians are used to this. It's how we behave daily. Perhaps even a default position. So we can spot this a mile (1.6kms) away.

Fortunately, sarcasm is part of the general skeptic's arsenal word wide, and in use right across this forum daily. So skeptics tend to be attuned to when they are being gamed. They know very quickly things are not as they appear. This is Sagan's Baloney Detector mechanism. I've seen you use it too.

More seriously, it is the lack of this Baloney detection mechanism that causes so much grief and anger socially and politically. Especially among TV evangelists, who milk their victims in an ongoing scam while continuing to spin them along and milk their wallets dry with increasingly bizarre tales. For Australians, this has always been a five-bell alarm that innocent and very gullible people are getting scammed and it continues to happen - no punch line! We remain gobsmacked these rip-off merchants haven't been tarred and feathered, stripped of their assets, and run out of town on a rail.

Anyway, back to spiders. This is a thread about 'Straya. I was being a little bit Aussie sarcastic. Next time I will put sarcasm tags around it. Or purple text. Or whatever it is that signifies sarcasm here. And I will buy you the first drink when we meet. Orright?
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 12:53 PM   #51
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,773
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I'd argue only if you discount all the ******* flies.
Australia's National Bird - the blowfly.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 02:03 PM   #52
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 25,009
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
It's about as likely as rattlesnake bites in the USA. If you go out of your way to find them in the places they live in, and then do something very likely to annoy them into biting you, then...yeah, I expect it will happen.
You know what animal actually kills more Americans than any other? Deer.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 05:17 PM   #53
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,773
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
You know what animal actually kills more Americans than any other? Deer.
I thought it was pumpkins. Shows how wrong you can be.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 07:01 PM   #54
Carlotta
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 300
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I thought it was pumpkins. Shows how wrong you can be.
That's what he wants you to think!
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 07:18 PM   #55
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 78,763
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Are you really getting huffed that skeptics don't trust your 30+ year old memory of a passing news story that you can not find much support for?
No, I'm annoyed the evidence I posted was ignored, just like you are ignoring it.

My memory
A tabloid story

That's cherry picking the evidence I posted leaving out what I posted in addition to those two things.

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
You know how it works around here, for general you and I:
You make a claim.
I say I doubt it.
You say here are some unreliable sources that say something similar may have happened at a different time.
I say that doesn't really support your claim.
You say yeah you're right, I may have been drinking Fosters at the time.
(That blank line above is intentional.)
See, there you go, ignoring the sources I posted while cherry picking 2 pieces of evidence out.

And I'm not the only one who posted some of the evidence.
__________________
TRUMP CHEATS What color hat should I order with that logo? Red on black maybe? Or black on pink?

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 23rd January 2020 at 07:20 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 07:24 PM   #56
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 78,763
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
My profuse apologies. Let me explain.

One of the other things you should have remembered about Australians having visited is that we are VERY good at sarcasm, which is basically an ability to make amusing remarks in a deadpan way at another person's expense. This leads to the propensity for 'Strayans to lead their victims on with increasingly bizarre tales told as "truth" followed by an obvious revealing punchline. This can pass for amusing here.

It is the lack of ability by the victim to detect that they are indeed being mislead that is the amusing part. Gullibility. It's usually associated with their ignorance of the subject as well. Usually this ends in laughter when the victim realises they have been set up. Australians are used to this. It's how we behave daily. Perhaps even a default position. So we can spot this a mile (1.6kms) away.

Fortunately, sarcasm is part of the general skeptic's arsenal word wide, and in use right across this forum daily. So skeptics tend to be attuned to when they are being gamed. They know very quickly things are not as they appear. This is Sagan's Baloney Detector mechanism. I've seen you use it too.

More seriously, it is the lack of this Baloney detection mechanism that causes so much grief and anger socially and politically. Especially among TV evangelists, who milk their victims in an ongoing scam while continuing to spin them along and milk their wallets dry with increasingly bizarre tales. For Australians, this has always been a five-bell alarm that innocent and very gullible people are getting scammed and it continues to happen - no punch line! We remain gobsmacked these rip-off merchants haven't been tarred and feathered, stripped of their assets, and run out of town on a rail.

Anyway, back to spiders. This is a thread about 'Straya. I was being a little bit Aussie sarcastic. Next time I will put sarcasm tags around it. Or purple text. Or whatever it is that signifies sarcasm here. And I will buy you the first drink when we meet. Orright?
Now you're claiming it was sarcasm!

No, you could have said that after your first post.

You were wrong. SFWs do sometimes get into people's beds.

You can't provide anything to counter the evidence I posted.

And now you want to get out of being wrong by claiming you didn't mean it.
__________________
TRUMP CHEATS What color hat should I order with that logo? Red on black maybe? Or black on pink?

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 07:43 PM   #57
Elagabalus
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,352
Alas, poor Yorick ...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/natur...den-in-her-bed
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 07:58 PM   #58
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,773
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Now you're claiming it was sarcasm!

No, you could have said that after your first post.

You were wrong. SFWs do sometimes get into people's beds.

You can't provide anything to counter the evidence I posted.

And now you want to get out of being wrong by claiming you didn't mean it.
[THIS IS SARCASM-->]Yep, sure. Whatever you like. It isn't going to make any difference in the great scheme of things, really. [<--THAT WAS SARCASM]
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:40 PM   #59
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 78,763
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I bet there are more stories about SFWs in beds.
__________________
TRUMP CHEATS What color hat should I order with that logo? Red on black maybe? Or black on pink?

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:44 PM   #60
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,773
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I bet there are more stories about SFWs in beds.
I saw one in my garden on the weekend.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:46 PM   #61
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 78,763
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
[THIS IS SARCASM-->]Yep, sure. Whatever you like. It isn't going to make any difference in the great scheme of things, really. [<--THAT WAS SARCASM]
I don't believe for a minute this reply was sarcasm.
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Yeah, nah.

They live in holes in the ground and try to catch stuff that walks by, like bigger insects. They don't prowl. So why would they go anywhere, especially into someone's house?

More likely it was a Whitetail spider
.
All I'm looking for is honesty, acknowledgement that you cherry picked the evidence I cited, and we're good.
__________________
TRUMP CHEATS What color hat should I order with that logo? Red on black maybe? Or black on pink?

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 01:15 AM   #62
Elagabalus
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,352
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I saw one in my garden on the weekend.
Should we send some of these over? Maybe they can be trained to go for SFWs (doubtful).

https://video.nationalgeographic.com...f-f06b0c630000


Oh and btw, your snakes are still crap! The real pit vipers are laughing at your pathetic excuse for a venomous snake.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 02:41 AM   #63
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 89,738
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Should we send some of these over? Maybe they can be trained to go for SFWs (doubtful).



https://video.nationalgeographic.com...f-f06b0c630000





Oh and btw, your snakes are still crap! The real pit vipers are laughing at your pathetic excuse for a venomous snake.
I tell an anecdote about my second visit to Australia, I was determined to see a Kangaroo so the company I was visiting kindly took me to a wildlife reserve. I remember a talk given by one of the guides and it was about how deadly everything was in Australia, and "this has the most deadly x in the world, this is only venomous in the world", and after about 10 minutes of boasting about how deadly everything was, he sort of waves his hand towards a snake and said with obvious embarrassment and disgust, "this is our most deadly snake, only the 3rd deadliest in the world". You could see how it was a source of great national embarrassment that Australia only had the 3rd most deadly snake in the world.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 04:15 AM   #64
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,773
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I don't believe for a minute this reply was sarcasm.
All I'm looking for is honesty, acknowledgement that you cherry picked the evidence I cited, and we're good.
Yeah nah. Sorry not sorry.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 07:49 AM   #65
casebro
Penultimate Amazing
 
casebro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,358
I had a FWS in my bed. It killed me.

Some day I'll tell you about a week end in bed with a SJW that I picked up at the bar. That weekend nearly killed me too. That was REALLY flogging a dead horse....
__________________
Great minds discuss ideas.
Medium minds discuss events.
Small minds spend all their time on U-Tube and Facebook.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 09:22 AM   #66
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 25,009
The animal that kills the greatest number of people in the US is deer. Because they cause car wrecks. I'd guess that the most dangerous animal in Australia is the kangaroo, for similar reasons.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 09:30 AM   #67
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 53,570
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The animal that kills the greatest number of people in the US is deer. Because they cause car wrecks.
The deer economy is based on insurance payouts and fraud. Those wrecks are never accidents. Follow the money! Forest lawyers! It sickens me.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 05:14 PM   #68
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,178
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The animal that kills the greatest number of people in the US is deer. Because they cause car wrecks. I'd guess that the most dangerous animal in Australia is the kangaroo, for similar reasons.
No.

Because we know where to site our wildlife crossings.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 06:50 PM   #69
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 25,009
OMG, thank you for today's moment of mirth!
I know where all the deer crossings are between my house and the town: From the garage door all the way to wherever I'm going in town. We're infested with the damn things.
I also had to brake for a coyote yesterday.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 07:05 PM   #70
novaphile
Quester of Doglets
Moderator
 
novaphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,321
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Speaking of not being that concerned, we stayed in Tasmania for a month including a bit of camping and a lot of hiking. Taz has 4 snake species (three land and a sea snake species), all venomous. We were wading across a pond when a snake swam across it the other way.

We thought it was super cool. The best thing about Oz is the wildlife.
Similar story...

I was wading/swimming across the Deua river, with a group of friends, when an ENORMOUS crocodile swam between us all!

Fortunately, it was only a goanna, but in our defence, it was a really big one.



In other non-news, I was chased around a back patio, by a funnel web spider, in North Sydney. (Much to everyone's amusement). It was a feisty one.
__________________
We would be better, and braver, to engage in enquiry, rather than indulge in the idle fancy, that we already know -- Plato.
novaphile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 07:05 PM   #71
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 78,763
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
No.

Because we know where to site our wildlife crossings.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
TRUMP CHEATS What color hat should I order with that logo? Red on black maybe? Or black on pink?

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 07:10 PM   #72
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 78,763
Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Similar story...

I was wading/swimming across the Deua river, with a group of friends, when an ENORMOUS crocodile swam between us all!

Fortunately, it was only a goanna, but in our defence, it was a really big one.



In other non-news, I was chased around a back patio, by a funnel web spider, in North Sydney. (Much to everyone's amusement). It was a feisty one.
They are very big.

I tried to get a closeup picture of a goanna. I got closer and closer because it wasn't moving away. It attacked! Jumped at me and I ran away.

Why would you be swimming where crocs might be?

And I'm sorry, I would have to smash that spider.
__________________
TRUMP CHEATS What color hat should I order with that logo? Red on black maybe? Or black on pink?

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 24th January 2020 at 07:12 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 07:15 PM   #73
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 78,763
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I tell an anecdote about my second visit to Australia, I was determined to see a Kangaroo so the company I was visiting kindly took me to a wildlife reserve. ...
Our friends took us to a camping area in Taz so we could get our first look at kangaroos. As the sun went down, they emerged looking like giant rats on the horizon.
__________________
TRUMP CHEATS What color hat should I order with that logo? Red on black maybe? Or black on pink?

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 11:45 PM   #74
novaphile
Quester of Doglets
Moderator
 
novaphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,321
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
They are very big.

I tried to get a closeup picture of a goanna. I got closer and closer because it wasn't moving away. It attacked! Jumped at me and I ran away.

Why would you be swimming where crocs might be?

And I'm sorry, I would have to smash that spider.
There really shouldn't be any crocs anywhere near that river, we were just a bit surprised to see something that big and obviously reptilian crossing the river with us.

You've reminded me of a great "joke" that a friend from Woomera swears was unintentional...

We'd found a goanna near lake Koolymilka and he wanted to demonstrate how goanna's (like mythical Ostrich behaviour) will hide their head under a bush, and think that they're invisible...

So he shouted at the goanna and waved his arms to scare it.

The damned thing ran up ME! and jumped off my head and shoulders.

I had huge scratches on my face, neck and scalp. (One of which took a suspiciously long time to heal).

Of course, he laughed, but claimed to feel guilty about it.
__________________
We would be better, and braver, to engage in enquiry, rather than indulge in the idle fancy, that we already know -- Plato.
novaphile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 11:55 PM   #75
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 78,763
Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
There really shouldn't be any crocs anywhere near that river, we were just a bit surprised to see something that big and obviously reptilian crossing the river with us.

You've reminded me of a great "joke" that a friend from Woomera swears was unintentional...

We'd found a goanna near lake Koolymilka and he wanted to demonstrate how goanna's (like mythical Ostrich behaviour) will hide their head under a bush, and think that they're invisible...

So he shouted at the goanna and waved his arms to scare it.

The damned thing ran up ME! and jumped off my head and shoulders.

I had huge scratches on my face, neck and scalp. (One of which took a suspiciously long time to heal).

Of course, he laughed, but claimed to feel guilty about it.
That's funny. Sorry about your wounds of course. They have nasty looking bite potential so I imagine it was awful.

We got a kick out of the fact they knocked over trash cans like a raccoon might.
__________________
TRUMP CHEATS What color hat should I order with that logo? Red on black maybe? Or black on pink?

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2020, 01:06 AM   #76
novaphile
Quester of Doglets
Moderator
 
novaphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,321
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That's funny. Sorry about your wounds of course. They have nasty looking bite potential so I imagine it was awful.

We got a kick out of the fact they knocked over trash cans like a raccoon might.


It was only my dignity that was seriously hurt.

There has been discussion in Australia that some of the monitor lizards are venomous. So now, I'm much more wary of goannas.

Link
__________________
We would be better, and braver, to engage in enquiry, rather than indulge in the idle fancy, that we already know -- Plato.

Last edited by novaphile; 25th January 2020 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Added Link
novaphile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2020, 06:53 AM   #77
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 24,606
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Hell, I've lived fifty years in this country and I haven't once been killed by a snake.

Yeah. Right.



Like you'd admit it if you had been.

Nice try, Arth.
__________________
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2020, 06:51 PM   #78
novaphile
Quester of Doglets
Moderator
 
novaphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,321
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Yeah. Right.



Like you'd admit it if you had been.

Nice try, Arth.
We're encouraged to use that exact wording if we've been killed by snakes more than once. You know, we have to keep the tourists coming in...

__________________
We would be better, and braver, to engage in enquiry, rather than indulge in the idle fancy, that we already know -- Plato.
novaphile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2020, 06:55 PM   #79
novaphile
Quester of Doglets
Moderator
 
novaphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,321
Which reminds me...

The other day, I heard something kill a rat in my front yard.

(The rat squealed a lot and then stopped.)

All this took place underneath bushes and leaves...

I'm not brave enough to find out if there's a snake out there, but I think there might be, because I keep hearing rustling noises etc.



As I'm sure you can imagine, I'm taking extra precautions.
__________________
We would be better, and braver, to engage in enquiry, rather than indulge in the idle fancy, that we already know -- Plato.
novaphile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2020, 08:04 PM   #80
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 18,199
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Well, out around Denny way, there's more room for snakes. Did you go to the Denny Ute Muster?
Lol

Missed this.

I did actually. Was actually quite cool..

I've heard the place has turned methville though which is a bit sad
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:01 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.