IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bitcoin

Old 14th July 2020, 01:20 PM   #681
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
So why not just ignore it?
I have also explained why I respond many times before.

This forum is supposed to be about critical thinking but this thread attracts nutcasery that would do a CTer or religious zealot proud.
Old 14th July 2020, 01:21 PM   #682
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I'd advise you not to touch it unless you're a criminal or a gambler.
Why? Is the price about to collapse permanently (this time)?
Old 14th July 2020, 01:25 PM   #683
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
This forum is supposed to be about critical thinking but this thread attracts nutcasery that would do a CTer or religious zealot proud.
If you stop posting here that number might just drop to zero.

Why? Is the price about to collapse permanently (this time)?
No, the price's just unreliable and varies wildly. You know this, of course. You've long abandoned any pretense of debating this topic critically.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2020, 01:31 PM   #684
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Originally Posted by healthmanifested View Post
What do you all think about BitCoin? I have heard good and bad. I have heard it's really hard to convert it to US dollars.
Well. You need computer on internet. That's about it.
You start account on any exchange, transfer BTC from your wallet to exchange, which is the biggest loss of value, as you have to pay the cloud for the transaction. After that, flipping BTC to USD and back on the exchange is fast and cheap. Then you have to send USD from exchange to your bank, which is usually also pretty cheap.
For quick and small investing you keep your BTC at the exchange, selling it in relatively short term. If you want to use BTC as currency, you have to use the BTC->BTC transfer, and of course, money on exchange are not really yours, so if you want the BTC to be really yours, you have to transfer any BTC you buy to your private wallet, and pay for the transaction again.
I certainly wouldn't call it hard. But depends on your computer literacy.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2020, 01:48 PM   #685
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

No, the price's just unreliable and varies wildly. You know this, of course. You've long abandoned any pretense of debating this topic critically.
Investment is always gamble. True BTC offers biger gains and losses, compared to stockmarket or commodities, but in essence it's just the same.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2020, 02:06 PM   #686
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Investment is always gamble. True BTC offers biger gains and losses, compared to stockmarket or commodities, but in essence it's just the same.
Yes but gambling is basically all BTC is good for. I mean, if that's your thing, go with it, but there are some associated risks beyond your BTC losing value.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2020, 02:31 PM   #687
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Yes but gambling is basically all BTC is good for. I mean, if that's your thing, go with it, but there are some associated risks beyond your BTC losing value.
Like what ? Making profit ?
Old 14th July 2020, 02:37 PM   #688
Belz...
Fiend God

Like what ? Making profit ?
Losing your wallet entirely.

But you probably knew that.

Old 14th July 2020, 03:18 PM   #689
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Losing your wallet entirely.

But you probably knew that.
No, never heard about that one.
Old 14th July 2020, 04:08 PM   #690
Belz...
Fiend God

No, never heard about that one.
Well, sorry to tell you. It's happened that some BTC wallets were, ahem, "lost" in the chaos that is blockchain.

Better to speculate on the stock market. At least you're dealing with real money and real commodities.

Old 15th July 2020, 02:34 AM   #691
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Well, sorry to tell you. It's happened that some BTC wallets were, ahem, "lost" in the chaos that is blockchain.

Better to speculate on the stock market. At least you're dealing with real money and real commodities.
Wallets, ahem, "lost" ? Such precise and well supported information !
Old 15th July 2020, 03:50 AM   #692
Belz...
Fiend God

Wallets, ahem, "lost" ? Such precise and well supported information !
Now you're just being ridiculous. We've talked about this at length in this thread. Yes, wallets "lost". As in poof! Gone.

In most cases it's due to an error from the user, but it can still happen, and it's a lot harder to recover your money in BTC than say with a bank.

Old 15th July 2020, 04:35 AM   #693
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Now you're just being ridiculous. We've talked about this at length in this thread. Yes, wallets "lost". As in poof! Gone.

In most cases it's due to an error from the user, but it can still happen, and it's a lot harder to recover your money in BTC than say with a bank.
So lost or "lost" ? What does it even mean ? Can you support your claim or not ?
Old 15th July 2020, 04:44 AM   #694
Belz...
Fiend God

So lost or "lost" ?
What are you babbling about? You're the one who put them in quotation marks to begin with.

The BTC are lost, and it may be very difficult or impossible to recover them. Wouldn't you call that a risk associated with trading BTC?

Quote:
Can you support your claim or not ?
You know, sometimes I wonder if a poster's request for "support" of a "claim" is genuine, or if they're playing games. I have a hard time believing that someone who's either followed this thread over time or that has had any interest in Bitcoin would be ignorant of this issue.

The thing, of course, is that if you call these posters' bluff, they'll just pretend that you can't support your claim. it's a nice trick that allows them to perpetually deny evidence presented, and which shows that dishonesty is a lot easier than honesty.

https://www.investopedia.com/news/20...e-study-shows/

https://nypost.com/2018/05/26/i-acci...th-of-bitcoin/

https://fortune.com/2017/11/25/lost-bitcoins/

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/20/man-...-him-look.html

Now, you can argue as I have that this is mostly their own fault, but it's risk that you normally don't run with a bank account with actual money in it.

Old 15th July 2020, 05:50 AM   #695
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

If you stop posting here that number might just drop to zero.
If you are trying to suggest that all arguments in this thread against bitcoin are sound then you have long abandoned any pretense of debating this topic critically.

If you wanted to remind us that bitcoin wallets can be lost or stolen then fine but don't suggest that the blockchain is somehow faulty. Only somebody who was totally ignorant would make such a remark.

And there we have it. Bitcoin is "not real". That is what is driving your irrational fear of bitcoin.
Old 15th July 2020, 06:08 AM   #696
Belz...
Fiend God

If you are trying to suggest that all arguments in this thread against bitcoin are sound then you have long abandoned any pretense of debating this topic critically.
Wow, that's pretty bad logic, right there. I'll let you think about why what you said has no relation to what you were responding to.

Quote:
If you wanted to remind us that bitcoin wallets can be lost or stolen then fine but don't suggest that the blockchain is somehow faulty. Only somebody who was totally ignorant would make such a remark.
Only true believers think blockchain is safe.

Quote:
And there we have it. Bitcoin is "not real".
Again, that's not what I said and what you quoted. Why do you lie so obviously?

Old 15th July 2020, 06:13 AM   #697
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

What are you babbling about? You're the one who put them in quotation marks to begin with.
No, it was you in post 690.

The BTC are lost, and it may be very difficult or impossible to recover them. Wouldn't you call that a risk associated with trading BTC?

You know, sometimes I wonder if a poster's request for "support" of a "claim" is genuine, or if they're playing games. I have a hard time believing that someone who's either followed this thread over time or that has had any interest in Bitcoin would be ignorant of this issue.

The thing, of course, is that if you call these posters' bluff, they'll just pretend that you can't support your claim. it's a nice trick that allows them to perpetually deny evidence presented, and which shows that dishonesty is a lot easier than honesty.

Now, you can argue as I have that this is mostly their own fault, but it's risk that you normally don't run with a bank account with actual money in it.
No, I genuinely wondered what you are talking about. And the fact you wrote "lost" confused me even more. You made it sounds like BTC can just vanish , by itself.
Besides all these being user error, it's not like the wallet is lost. You just don't have access to it. IMHO it's important, if technical, detail. Bitcoins itself won't vanish, not wallets.

And yes, money in bank cannot be lost this way. Your physical wallet can be. Brick of gold too.

Actually I thought you are speaking about exchange hacks, which are quite common, sadly. Sure, you are only vulnerable as long as you keep your money on the exchange .. but for short term trading, that's what you usually do.

You simply explained yourself poorly, and when asked, didn't improve it a bit, only made it worse. If you linked one case in your first post, all would be easier.

Last edited by Dr.Sid; 15th July 2020 at 06:15 AM.
Old 15th July 2020, 06:16 AM   #698
Belz...
Fiend God

No, it was you in post 690.
My mistake. Yes, lost.

Quote:
Besides all these being user error, it's not like the wallet is lost. You just don't have access to it.
What's the difference? If you can never get hold of that money anymore, it's lost, quotation marks or not. And it's not all user error, but even if it were, it is an inherent risk of trading in BTC, which was my initial point.

Quote:
Actually I thought you are speaking about exchange hacks, which are quite common, sadly.
Those _were_ included.

The point is that BTC can be lost in ways that are not usually risks with investments. That is a risk of BTC, which is why I brought it up when it was asked. I don't know why it was so controversial when it turns out you know what I was talking about.

Old 15th July 2020, 06:45 AM   #699
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

For those of you wanting some Bitcoin related infortainment,

All Lawyers Are Bastards (ALAB), has a podcast episode covering the Faketoshi lawsuits. It's a lawsuit about a guy claiming to be behind the creation of Bitcoin who allegedly stole a bunch of bitcoins worth billions of dollars from his dead business partner.

The man, Craig Wright, claims to 1/3 of the group behind Satoshi Nakamoto, though is widely regarded as a liar, hence "Faketoshi".

It's an interesting lawsuit because Craig is a repeat liar and digs an immensely deep whole for himself throughout the legal process.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000449092346

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 15th July 2020 at 07:10 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 07:01 AM   #700
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Wow, that's pretty bad logic, right there. I'll let you think about why what you said has no relation to what you were responding to.
You claimed that the amount of nutcasery in this thread would drop to zero if I didn't post here. If you don't believe that the arguments by others are sound then you were telling a bald faced lie.

Only true believers think blockchain is safe.
Then you are totally ignorant. Bitcoin wallets can be lost or stolen, exchanges or personal computers can be hacked but nobody can hack the blockchain.

You should learn a few facts about this new fangled technology before you go off half cocked and attack any arguers who don't denounce bitcoin.

Again, that's not what I said and what you quoted. Why do you lie so obviously?
Your post distinguished between bitcoin and "real" money and "real" commodities. You can't squirm your way out of this one.
Old 15th July 2020, 10:18 AM   #701
The_Animus
Illuminator

Yes but gambling is basically all BTC is good for.
It's also good for purchasing certain goods and services equivalent to billions of dollars annually.

Your wording is a bit ambiguous so to be clear people can lose their wallets or have them stolen/ hacked but there is no glitch or hacking of Btc or its blockchain such that your wallet disappears.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 11:10 AM   #702
Belz...
Fiend God

You claimed that the amount of nutcasery in this thread would drop to zero if I didn't post here.
Yes I did. You replied with something about sound arguments. I said nothing about that.

Quote:
You should learn a few facts about this new fangled technology
Oh, I've learned quite a lot in the last few years. For instance, I've learned that psiol0 will always defend bitcoin from any sort of criticism no matter how slight, but will deny doing so.

Quote:
Your post distinguished between bitcoin and "real" money and "real" commodities. You can't squirm your way out of this one.
There's no squirming required. You accused me of saying that bitcoin is not real. I said no such thing. You lied. Hell, you even quote me here, proving yourself wrong.

Last edited by Belz...; 15th July 2020 at 11:13 AM.
Old 15th July 2020, 11:12 AM   #703
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
It's also good for purchasing certain goods and services equivalent to billions of dollars annually.
I didn't say it was not used for anything but gambling. I said gambling is all it's good for.

Old 15th July 2020, 12:32 PM   #704
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Investing involves risk but that isn’t the same thing as gambling. Investors don’t play the part of the gambler they are playing the part of the casino and look to leverage underlying trends in their favor to come out ahead in the long term. Since bitcoin price is almost entirely a function of speculators betting against each other, there is no legal advantage to be had.
Old 15th July 2020, 01:00 PM   #705
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Oh, I've learned quite a lot in the last few years. For instance, I've learned that psiol0 will always defend bitcoin from any sort of criticism no matter how slight, but will deny doing so.
But you have clearly learned nothing about the technology. That is why you address the arguer instead.

Even then you have to equate pointing out a faulty argument to defending bitcoin from all criticism.
Old 15th July 2020, 01:07 PM   #706
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Investing involves risk but that isn’t the same thing as gambling. Investors don’t play the part of the gambler they are playing the part of the casino and look to leverage underlying trends in their favor to come out ahead in the long term. Since bitcoin price is almost entirely a function of speculators betting against each other, there is no legal advantage to be had.
A large factor in the price of bitcoin is "hodling". People buy them and hang onto them. The more people that do this, the more upward pressure on the bitcoin price.

Obviously, this effect is swamped by the activities of speculators but we are not talking about "bitcoin casino".
Old 15th July 2020, 01:21 PM   #707
Belz...
Fiend God

But you have clearly learned nothing about the technology. That is why you address the arguer instead.
No, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Old 15th July 2020, 02:13 PM   #708
Samson
Philosopher

Send your rat poison to these good citizens.

https://decrypt.co/35702/bill-gates-...e=trading-view

His tweet comes just moments after Elon Musk's account was hacked. Musk's account made a very similar tweet pointed users to the same Bitcoin address. That address has since received 5.8 Bitcoin ($54,000) from victims of the attack.

Elon Musk's official account then replied to Bill Gates, calling him his brother. This fake endorsement was likely to convince more people that the scam was genuine.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 03:16 PM   #709
Chanakya

Here's an entirely incidental snippet that any bitcoin noobs reading this -- like yours truly! -- might find interesting.

People keep talking here about "hodling". Clearly a typo, right? But one saw the term used far too often for that.

So I thought to ask, but before typing the question here, ran a one-word search on google. Turns out hodling is, indeed, a thing. Except it means exactly the same as holding, spelt the old-fashioned away, but when applied to bitcoin and to cryptoinvestments generally, that's how you spell it.

And why? Because apparently some years ago, a poster on a bitcoin message board, who happened to be drunk, misspelt the word, and the "hodl" spelling caught on thereafter!
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 03:18 PM   #710
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
Here's an entirely incidental snippet that any bitcoin noobs reading this -- like yours truly! -- might find interesting.

People keep talking here about "hodling". Clearly a typo, right? But one saw the term used far too often for that.

So I thought to ask, but before typing the question here, ran a one-word search on google. Turns out hodling is, indeed, a thing. Except it means exactly the same as holding, spelt the old-fashioned away, but when applied to bitcoin and to cryptoinvestments generally, that's how you spell it.

And why? Because apparently some years ago, a poster on a bitcoin message board, who happened to be drunk, misspelt the word, and the "hodl" spelling caught on thereafter!
Dude, hodling means much more than holding. Everyone can hold, but only true alpha investors can HODL. You have lot to learn.
Old 15th July 2020, 03:30 PM   #711
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Samson View Post

Quote:
It's all part of a massive attack taking place throughout Twitter right now. So far, accounts of major crypto exchanges have been hacked, including Binance, Coinbase, Gemini, KuCoin and Bitfinex. Litecoin founder Charlie Lee and Tron CEO Justin Sun have also tweeted the same scam, which encourages users to go to a fake website.

Uber and Apple's official Twitter accounts have also posted the same scam in the last few minutes.
Awesome! This is where Bitcoin really shines. A bunch of bitcoiners have just 'donated' money to an anonymous scammer, with no chance of getting it back! How can I get in on that?

Now that everyone can see where Bitcoin's true potential lies, I bet the price is going to the Moon!
Old 15th July 2020, 03:31 PM   #712
Chanakya

Dude, hodling means much more than holding. Everyone can hold, but only true alpha investors can HODL. You have lot to learn.

Indeed! And yes, point taken about the caps.

Last edited by Chanakya; 15th July 2020 at 03:32 PM.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 03:41 PM   #713
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

That's right, and true alpha HODLers do it forever!

Bitcoin will never die while people continue to HODL, because it will always have value to them - even if the price drops to zero. Since they never intend to sell, the price is irrelevant! But for others it's a different story. With everyone HODLing there will be no speculation and no mining - just the equivalent of keeping expired banknotes in a tin box under your bed.
Old 15th July 2020, 03:59 PM   #714
Chanakya

Thing is, as a concept, bitcoin is actually brilliant. No reason why, going forward, some cryptocurrency/ies might not provide, in practice, what bitcoin promised, back when. (Or, of course, not. But it's possible, I suppose. After all, the dollar as reserve currency makes no more sense, when you think about it -- even less, if anything! -- than this. So if people could work out the glitches and come up with something after learning from the bitcoin misadventure, well, why not?)
Old 15th July 2020, 04:21 PM   #715
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Awesome! This is where Bitcoin really shines. A bunch of bitcoiners have just 'donated' money to an anonymous scammer, with no chance of getting it back! How can I get in on that?

Now that everyone can see where Bitcoin's true potential lies, I bet the price is going to the Moon!
You mean if you send good old dollars to Nigerian prince, you will get them back ?
Old 15th July 2020, 08:06 PM   #716
The_Animus
Illuminator

I didn't say it was not used for anything but gambling. I said gambling is all it's good for.
Obviously it's also good for purchasing certain goods and services.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 08:14 PM   #717
The_Animus
Illuminator

His tweet comes just moments after Elon Musk's account was hacked. Musk's account made a very similar tweet pointed users to the same Bitcoin address. That address has since received 5.8 Bitcoin ($54,000) from victims of the attack.

Elon Musk's official account then replied to Bill Gates, calling him his brother. This fake endorsement was likely to convince more people that the scam was genuine.
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post

According to some guy named Madoff, fiat money is so awesome that no one ever gets scammed.
Old 16th July 2020, 05:17 AM   #718
Samson
Philosopher

According to some guy named Madoff, fiat money is so awesome that no one ever gets scammed.
I think the conversation is important, and this is a serious thread.
Last week I bought 2 pizzas and garlic bread from Dominos.
With a debit card or bank notes. One or other.
I consider the staff would have refused bitcoin.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2020, 05:24 AM   #719
Belz...
Fiend God

Obviously it's also good for purchasing certain goods and services.
"Obviously" means "in my opinion".

That is CAN be used for something doesn't mean it's good at it.

Old 16th July 2020, 06:36 AM   #720
The_Animus
Illuminator

I think the conversation is important, and this is a serious thread.
Last week I bought 2 pizzas and garlic bread from Dominos.
With a debit card or bank notes. One or other.
I consider the staff would have refused bitcoin.
And? What does this have to do with what you're responding to? Are you trying to say when people scam your fiat money it's easier to spend those ill gotten gains and you can spend it on a greater variety of things?

"Obviously" means "in my opinion".

That is CAN be used for something doesn't mean it's good at it.
It is good at it, for a certain subset of goods and services. That's why there are billions in sales.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance