ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags assault incidents , Charlottesville riot , protest incidents , Virginia incidents , white supremacists

Reply
Old 12th August 2017, 11:23 PM   #201
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 23,052
I gotta say. The more people here try to make a case for why AntiFa is bad the more I kind of like them.
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 11:38 PM   #202
zorro99
Muse
 
zorro99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Samantha Bloom, Mr. Fields’ mother, told a Blade reporter her son texted her Friday to say he had dropped his cat off at her Monclova Township apartment so he could go to an “alt-right” rally in Virginia.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Nation/20...ist-rally.html
__________________
There is nothing as deceptive as an obvious fact.
zorro99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 11:43 PM   #203
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,859
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
However, having said that, would you really say that McCarthyism was as bad as National Socialism, or that the JBS was as bad as the Nazis?
Their trajectory is just as bad. It's the public receptivity to the amount of punishment that's allowed and degree of blind trust that named suspects are pretty much guilty as sin that determines how 'bad' they are. Being ostracized from social standing, having your property seized or attacked without recourse, constant harassment, humiliation, shame, words of degradation, etc.

Racism, Social Justice, Communism, McCarthyism, Fascism, Anti-Fascism, they can all reach fever pitch. They all use the same tools and follow the same progression.

The Reign of Terror is example #1. We're smashing the decadent and abusive monarchy! We're liberating the people to rule themselves...just as soon as we eliminate more notable scholars and common peasantry than any adolescent royal brat could have ever dreamed of.

Hey, Gracchus wants to give the land back to the people and this jerk keeps using the veto. Let's 'gently usher him off the dias' and get on with the voting. It's for justice, after all.

I'm aware enough to realize that power likely doesn't bargain with the open hand (disciplined nonviolent resistance) unless there's a fist present, too.

I guess the best way I can put it is that I don't want the fist to be in charge, either.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 11:43 PM   #204
zorro99
Muse
 
zorro99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I gotta say. The more people here try to make a case for why AntiFa is bad the more I kind of like them.
Me too. Never heard of them. Took guts to stand up to those scum.
__________________
There is nothing as deceptive as an obvious fact.
zorro99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 12:36 AM   #205
sonofthor
Scholar
 
sonofthor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 107
Final thoughts for day: The United States was founded on Enlightenment ideals, based on British Liberalism, and you now have continental collectivists fighting in your streets over whether it's better to be a fascist or a communist. The answer is: they're both terrible and fundamentally opposed to the constitution of your country, my American friends.
__________________
"The biggest problem with the computer sits too often between the chair and the monitor."
sonofthor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 12:47 AM   #206
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 28,067
Originally Posted by sonofthor View Post
Final thoughts for day: The United States was founded on Enlightenment ideals, based on British Liberalism, and you now have continental collectivists fighting in your streets over whether it's better to be a fascist or a communist. The answer is: they're both terrible and fundamentally opposed to the constitution of your country, my American friends.
You are wrong. They are fighting about whether it's better to be fascist or a democracy. Your attempt to build straw men is not appreciated.
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 12:50 AM   #207
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 36,606
Originally Posted by sonofthor View Post
Final thoughts for day: The United States was founded on Enlightenment ideals, based on British Liberalism, and you now have continental collectivists fighting in your streets over whether it's better to be a fascist or a communist. The answer is: they're both terrible and fundamentally opposed to the constitution of your country, my American friends.
Well, good night, but you're not my friend. On behalf of the Eastern Antifa Squadron, thank you for helping our recruiting. We count two new members from this thread. Good work, comrade. (Communists!!??? Do you think we're in Berlin in 1934?)
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 12:50 AM   #208
zorro99
Muse
 
zorro99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Originally Posted by sonofthor View Post
Final thoughts for day: The United States was founded on Enlightenment ideals, based on British Liberalism, and you now have continental collectivists fighting in your streets over whether it's better to be a fascist or a communist. The answer is: they're both terrible and fundamentally opposed to the constitution of your country, my American friends.
I didn't see any communists today.
__________________
There is nothing as deceptive as an obvious fact.
zorro99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 02:12 AM   #209
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 67,174
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
White supremacists show up to an event looking for a fight... then proceed to play victim when violence happens.
Well, they are humans (if barely), so that is expected.
__________________
<Roar!>

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 02:15 AM   #210
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 67,174
Originally Posted by sonofthor View Post
Final thoughts for day: The United States was founded on Enlightenment ideals, based on British Liberalism, and you now have continental collectivists fighting in your streets over whether it's better to be a fascist or a communist. The answer is: they're both terrible and fundamentally opposed to the constitution of your country, my American friends.
Small detail: could you demonstrate that one fights for communism? Thanks.
__________________
<Roar!>

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 02:40 AM   #211
ShadowSot
Graduate Poster
 
ShadowSot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pensacola
Posts: 1,086
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Small detail: could you demonstrate that one fights for communism? Thanks.
Are you left of Fox News?
You're a communist.*








*With the caveat some of these people count Fox News as Liberal
__________________
I love this crazy tragic, sometimes almost magic, awful beautiful life.
- Darryl Worley
The Stupid! It burns!
ShadowSot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 02:52 AM   #212
Mumbles
Illuminator
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,640
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I gotta say. The more people here try to make a case for why AntiFa is bad the more I kind of like them.
You know, I'm anti-violence, but I do understand

OTOH, I can only laugh at anyone who expected Toupee Fiasco to decry this. THis is his base, cultivated ever since he started pushing that racist Birther nonsense.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 03:15 AM   #213
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,516
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I gotta say. The more people here try to make a case for why AntiFa is bad the more I kind of like them.
Nazis literally murdered someone in broad daylight and people are trying to both sides it. It's stomach churning.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 03:30 AM   #214
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Next door to Florida Man, world's worst superhero.
Posts: 14,562
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
You know, I'm anti-violence, but I do understand

OTOH, I can only laugh at anyone who expected Toupee Fiasco to decry this. THis is his base, cultivated ever since he started pushing that racist Birther nonsense.
I don't think too many people were expecting The Hair to decry the Nazis. That's no reason not to rub his nose in his failure to do so.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 03:36 AM   #215
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,516
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Vehicle aside, CNN's website is carrying a small photo of the alleged driver. While it's not definitive of course, the fellow's hairdo is distinctive enough perhaps to serve as a predictor of his sympathies.
Buzzfeed found his Facebook page.

Quote:
On a Facebook page that appears to belong to Fields, photos included memes embraced by the alt right and some supporters of President Donald Trump, including Pepe the Frog and a portrait of a crowned Trump sitting on a throne.
And it's not surprising he ended up the way he did.

Quote:
She later told the Associated Press that she believed the rally was to support President Trump, not white supremacy.

"I thought it had something to do with Trump. Trump’s not a white supremacist,” Bloom told the AP.

“He had an African-American friend so ...,” she said, trailing off.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 03:45 AM   #216
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,058
Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
I'm not going on a hunt through the denser parts of the web, so do you mean something other than that FB link you posted earlier?

The irresponsible doxxing of a suspect's home address.

The one with a different first name?
And BTW... that one has a VIN #, not a license plate.
(who the **** in the civilian public cares about a suspect vehicle's VIN #? )
Apparently the guy who got wrongly doxxed had sold the car a couple of years ago. It seems the incorrect doxxing went: license plate -> VIN -> car owner, with the last step erroneously getting a previous owner rather than the current one. That confusion about the first name was because the car was registered in the name of the father but used by the son.

Anyway, quickly after the error about the car having been sold was discovered someone who likely is the real suspect got doxxed. I could give you a link if you want. My main point though was rather that, in this day and age, a license plate and car make/model is pretty much the equivalent of releasing a suspect's identity. If there's enough people looking then it's only a matter of time before your identity gets out based on that info.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 03:53 AM   #217
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,748
Senator Orrin Hatch is strongly condemning the Nazi march.
Which is interesting since he is third in the line of succession behind Pence and Ryan.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...allenged-today
__________________
"eventually we will get something done."
- Donald J. Trump
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 03:53 AM   #218
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing
 
Oystein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,828
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
BOB behave or I'll get Oystein over here so he can out BobtheC by being BobtheC! That was glorious by the way and more than a little deserved.
Huh?

__________________
Thermodynamics hates conspiracy theorists. (Foster Zygote)
Oystein is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 03:57 AM   #219
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 4,490
Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Someone's gotta logger while the logger is on vacation....
Personally, I don't recall logger being this vile, as a general rule.
__________________
“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that...I will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” - President Donald J. Trump, January 20, 2017.
"And it's, frankly, disgusting the way the press is able to write whatever they want to write. And people should look into it." - President Donald J. Trump, October 11, 2017.
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 03:59 AM   #220
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,058
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Assuming you care about democracy, yes it is. Course, that's if.
No I don't care about capitalism nor about that gang you got enforcing it.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 04:06 AM   #221
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,058
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Have you ever worked in the public sector, sir?
Yes I have. As opposed to those two in that helicopter, who don't do any work at all.

Quote:
You know that what you wrote there is just a rhetorical trick to make policemen appear far worse than they really are.
No it isn't. If anything I've made them appear far better than they really are, since I didn't even bother going into the rampant specific crimes by that particular gang but just stuck to its basic social role.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 04:07 AM   #222
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing
 
Oystein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,828
Originally Posted by sonofthor View Post
Final thoughts for day: The United States was founded on Enlightenment ideals, based on British Liberalism, and you now have continental collectivists fighting in your streets over whether it's better to be a fascist or a communist. The answer is: they're both terrible and fundamentally opposed to the constitution of your country, my American friends.
I could whole-heartedly agree with this - if the anti-nazi demonstrators were "continental collectivists". But they aren't. I have next to no sympathy for the activist, unruly antifa crowd, feeling they actually strengthen the nazis by giving them a real and legitimate focus. But clollectivists they are not: Some are anarchists - the very opposite of collectivism. And some are a-political fun-oriented fashion-wearing lefties with a knack for violent entertainment - extreme, reckless individualists.
__________________
Thermodynamics hates conspiracy theorists. (Foster Zygote)
Oystein is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 04:17 AM   #223
timhau
NWO Litter Technician
 
timhau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Posts: 12,483
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Senator Orrin Hatch is strongly condemning the Nazi march.
Which is interesting since he is third in the line of succession behind Pence and Ryan.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...allenged-today
From your link:

Quote:
Photos and video of the Saturday events show people doing Nazi salutes and chanting "heil Trump".
__________________
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord, in his wisdom, doesn't work that way. I just stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
- Emo Philips
timhau is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 04:23 AM   #224
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,058
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
They are just dumb to think that violence will help get the message out there.
Liberals... Their intelligence seems inversely related to their ego which makes them simply assume that everything other political groups do must be intricate ploys to "get out a message" to them.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 13th August 2017 at 04:27 AM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 04:25 AM   #225
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,516
It should be noted that Fred Trump was a Klansman so we're dealing with the apple not falling far from the poisoned tree.

Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 04:26 AM   #226
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,058
Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Please do!
No thanks, that would be quite irrational for me.

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
I know. Just rubbing it down his pimply face.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 04:29 AM   #227
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,516
Congratulations Glenn Reynolds (Instapundit) you got your wish.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 04:46 AM   #228
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing
 
alfaniner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 17,133
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I gotta say. The more people here try to make a case for why AntiFa is bad the more I kind of like them.
Just in case of unexpected backlash, that could be read two ways. You might want to clarify who "them" refers to.
__________________
Science is self-correcting.
Woo is self-contradicting.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 05:02 AM   #229
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 29,904
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Godwin violation reported.
Godwin's Law has been officially suspended until further notice.
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"You are the herp to my derp" -- bit_pattern
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 05:10 AM   #230
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 67,174
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
No I don't care about capitalism nor about that gang you got enforcing it.
Notice that I said democracy, not capitalism.

But, ok. Capitalism is the reason why you are able to express yourself on the internet and voice your opinion on this matter. Were you a wiser man, that would give you pause.

Quote:
As opposed to those two in that helicopter, who don't do any work at all.
See, when I talked about rhetorical tricks, that's what I meant. You're overstating your case so much that it's impossible to take your arguments seriously. Of course they do work. You just don't like the work that some of them do.

Quote:
No it isn't. If anything I've made them appear far better than they really are, since I didn't even bother going into the rampant specific crimes by that particular gang but just stuck to its basic social role.
I've had nothing but pleasant interactions with policemen in the past, so you either live in a cesspit part of the world, or you are exaggerating.
__________________
<Roar!>

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 05:17 AM   #231
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 23,052
What I'll say is this: at least someone is standing up to these fascist pricks. They gather and spread their genocidal ideology and the police just stand by twiddling their fingers. Heck a non insignificant portion of them probably support them.

We can't count on the feds to stop them. Not with the very top of the federal government run by them now. So who is going to stand up to these bullies? Or do we just lay down and hope they don't kill us when they go and kill the others?

I've been reading tons of books lately on the rise of fascism in Europe and my takeaway so far is that they put themselves in a position to murder tens of millions by everyone either not taking them seriously or being more worried about some phantom Communist boogeyman. No one stood up to them in any kind of forceful way until it was too late and I would really rather we not do the same thing here in America. If I'm being presented the choice of Nazis talking about race wars and a group of people that stand up to them that someone on the internet thinks are Stalinists (but otherwise don't seem to be advocating anything other than defending us from the fascists) well I'm definitely not picking the Nazis. And I'm also not just going to sit around doing nothing.
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 05:21 AM   #232
applecorped
Rotten to the Core
 
applecorped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 17,203
Both sides suck but depending on what side you're on your side sucks just a little bit less.


Rinse, repeat
__________________
All You Need Is Love.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 05:22 AM   #233
applecorped
Rotten to the Core
 
applecorped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 17,203
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
What I'll say is this: at least someone is standing up to these fascist pricks. They gather and spread their genocidal ideology and the police just stand by twiddling their fingers. Heck a non insignificant portion of them probably support them.

We can't count on the feds to stop them. Not with the very top of the federal government run by them now. So who is going to stand up to these bullies? Or do we just lay down and hope they don't kill us when they go and kill the others?

I've been reading tons of books lately on the rise of fascism in Europe and my takeaway so far is that they put themselves in a position to murder tens of millions by everyone either not taking them seriously or being more worried about some phantom Communist boogeyman. No one stood up to them in any kind of forceful way until it was too late and I would really rather we not do the same thing here in America. If I'm being presented the choice of Nazis talking about race wars and a group of people that stand up to them that someone on the internet thinks are Stalinists (but otherwise don't seem to be advocating anything other than defending us from the fascists) well I'm definitely not picking the Nazis. And I'm also not just going to sit around doing nothing.
True plenty people are standing up to Antifa now
__________________
All You Need Is Love.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 05:26 AM   #234
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 54,916
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I don't think too many people were expecting The Hair to decry the Nazis. That's no reason not to rub his nose in his failure to do so.
Puppies and idiots!!!!!!!!
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 05:33 AM   #235
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 28,067
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
True plenty people are standing up to Antifa now
Like they stood up to the Jews and slavery abolitionists.
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 05:35 AM   #236
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,058
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
But, ok. Capitalism is the reason why you are able to express yourself on the internet and voice your opinion on this matter. Were you a wiser man, that would give you pause.
Were you a wiser man, you would know what a cum hoc ergo propter hoc is.

Quote:
See, when I talked about rhetorical tricks, that's what I meant. You're overstating your case so much that it's impossible to take your arguments seriously.
I'm not overstating anything, quite the opposite.

Quote:
I've had nothing but pleasant interactions with policemen in the past, so you either live in a cesspit part of the world, or you are exaggerating.
I don't care about your anecdotal "interactions" and, furthermore, were you a wiser man, you would understand that I haven't said a thing about how "pleasant" your "interactions" are or are not.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 05:35 AM   #237
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cymru
Posts: 22,590
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I've been reading tons of books lately on the rise of fascism in Europe and my takeaway so far is that they put themselves in a position to murder tens of millions by everyone either not taking them seriously or being more worried about some phantom Communist boogeyman. No one stood up to them in any kind of forceful way until it was too late and I would really rather we not do the same thing here in America. If I'm being presented the choice of Nazis talking about race wars and a group of people that stand up to them that someone on the internet thinks are Stalinists (but otherwise don't seem to be advocating anything other than defending us from the fascists) well I'm definitely not picking the Nazis. And I'm also not just going to sit around doing nothing.
Maybe you're reading the wrong books, did you miss the whole of the Spanish Civil War

A lot of people stood up to the fascists in a very forceful way. Unfortunately the fascists had more and better external help but I think it's doing the Spanish people more than a disservice to say that they did nothing.

On a much, much smaller level, the Battle of Cable Street in the UK shows how direct action by a small number of activists willing to put themselves in harm's way can affect public opinion. The British Union of Fascists (BUF) had enjoyed a level of domestic popularity (including the infamous Daily Mail headline) but they were never the same after the Battle of Cable Street.

Fascism was successful in Germany and Italy (though it could be argued IMO that apart from a common global brand Mussolini and Hitler and their regimes weren't alike at all) because enough people actively wanted it, not that the huge silent majority remained silent.

IMO that's the situation in the U.S. at the moment. White supremacism is on the rise because a majority of white people in the United States are either active supporters of it or are sufficiently tolerant of it for it to become the guiding tenet of on of its two major political parties.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 05:37 AM   #238
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty
 
NoahFence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Patriot Nation
Posts: 20,903
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Truth be told, it's only problematic if you think McCarthyism was a bad thing. I don't know what you're getting at with this letter opener analogy.
McCarthyism was bad.
__________________
you to the ignorant, uneducated portion ofAmerica too short sighted to see what's right in front of your cheeto loving faces.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 05:45 AM   #239
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 36,606
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
True plenty people are standing up to Antifa now
Really? Are you signing up?

And you really think that which side is right is just a matter of political beliefs? Dontcha think that in this case, maybe the Side That Murdered Someone With a Motor Vehicle might be, shall we say, just a tad "wronger". You're just parroting what the Orange Turdblossom said... well, both sides have a point, ya know.

No. They don't. One side is made up of Klansmen and Neo-Nazis who want to further their racist agenda. The other is made up of people who want to stop them. Time was, Americans knew which ones to stand against.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 05:51 AM   #240
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,058
Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
I didn't see any communists today.
Going by the flags in that group of people hit, I'm seeing plenty of communists of one persuasion or another. Mostly red, black, an IWW one, and a "red fist" one (presumably Trots?).
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:36 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.