ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th August 2017, 12:26 AM   #1
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Help please - Internet access without a computer

Long story short

Have internet configured and fine working with laptop via ethernet.

Use it to hotspot to my phone for internet on my phone

Have modem. A router lying around and the phone (android)

Losing the laptop

Basically just need to know how to configure the modem and router and network etc to still have wi/fi, as my phone obviously doesn't have an ethernet plug or any app to configure the network (enter the IPs etc)

Does anyone know if this is possible? Or do I always need some sort of pc/laptop/tablet acting as the uber controller?

Any help would be appreciated
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:38 AM   #2
BowlOfRed
Graduate Poster

Depending on exactly what you have as your "modem" and "router", yes it's possible. Is it a wifi router?
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:42 AM   #3
GodMark2
Graduate Poster

A wifi router is the only controller needed. Many modems contain a wifi router already and need no further hardware. 90% of the rest of the time, you just plug the "WAN" or "INTERNET" port of the router into the modem, and everything else just works. More assistance would need the brand and model of that router.
Old 12th August 2017, 01:18 AM   #4
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Thanks for the quick response

Modem is just a modem

Motorola SB5101. Found specs https://www.cnet.com/products/motoro...-series/specs/

Actually have two routers -

Think the first might even be a modem as well

Technicolor TG 582n https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/thomson...ic_information

or

D-Link DIR 600
http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/support/p...50-home-router
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 01:38 AM   #5
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Also

Forgot to say

Phone is a Samsung J5 (SM-J500)

And I have just downloaded an app called FING which finds wifi network configurations, as it made me feel that I was doing something

Old 12th August 2017, 04:16 AM   #6
Earthborn
Terrestrial Intelligence

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Does anyone know if this is possible? Or do I always need some sort of pc/laptop/tablet acting as the uber controller
Not only is it possible, but the way you seem to have been doing it is highly unusual and overly complicated. The links for the routers you provided yourself show all the necessary information to set up a Wifi network if you haven't already. Then just use the phone's Wifi settings to connect to it, no extra apps needed.
Old 12th August 2017, 04:37 AM   #7
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Earthborn View Post
Not only is it possible, but the way you seem to have been doing it is highly unusual and overly complicated. The links for the routers you provided yourself show all the necessary information to set up a Wifi network if you haven't already. Then just use the phone's Wifi settings to connect to it, no extra apps needed.
Yeah but I need to configure the modem to know my isp settings. Server IPs etc

At the moment the network configuration on the laptop is doing it

Take away the laptop and the modem doesn't know how to connect to it.

Or am I just thinking something really stupid and this isn't needed?

Old 12th August 2017, 05:38 AM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Once the other devices are configured, the laptop should no longer be necessary.

The configuration is stored on the device, not the laptop. It should persist until you reconfigure the device or reset it. Even if you turn it off and on again.

The one big exception would be if you configured the device to use Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) to get its IP address, and configured your laptop to provide it. But this is highly unlikely.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 11:58 AM   #9
GodMark2
Graduate Poster

Yeah but I need to configure the modem to know my isp settings. Server IPs etc

At the moment the network configuration on the laptop is doing it

Take away the laptop and the modem doesn't know how to connect to it.

Or am I just thinking something really stupid and this isn't needed?
Use the Motorola and the D-Link.

Probably, you don't need any configuration, because it's probably using DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration protocol), which is a fancy way of saying "it just works". When it connects, the router will kindly ask the network who is in charge, and get the needed info from that server.

What you may need to set up is the wireless network. With the laptop connected to the router with a cable, open your web browser and go to the web page

That's the 'magic' address that most home networks use to talk to whomever is in charge of the network. In this case, your router is in charge, so it will connect to your router's configuration page. See the D-Link FAQ for more information.

The two big things to ensure are that the wireless is ON, and that DCHP is ON.
Old 12th August 2017, 10:41 PM   #10
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Thanks a lot people

Well I have every thing connecting to the router, but no internet access.

Can browse to the D-Link log-in page

It isn't recognising the "Admin" username (Which oddly isn't a dropdown menu, so having to enter) with blank password

Tried re-setting the router in case it had old set-up log-in details, but no go

Will keep trying. Might give the other one a go which is probably a similar set-up

Again cheers

Old 12th August 2017, 10:47 PM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Does your internet provider see the modem, at least? If it's connected and powered, your provider should see it on their network. If they don't, you'll need to work with them to solve that before you can go any further.

theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 01:02 AM   #12
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Does your internet provider see the modem, at least? If it's connected and powered, your provider should see it on their network. If they don't, you'll need to work with them to solve that before you can go any further.

Yeah

Going to the log-in page with the module number in the top corner, so recognises it all good

Just wont accept the default log-in details, even after hard resetting the router

User - "Admin" (should be drop down, but have to type it in which is a bit dodgy, as all the screenshots show a drop down.)

Password - "" (blank)

Just get username/password incorrect

Old 13th August 2017, 02:18 AM   #13
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah
Not yeah. What does your internet provider say when you talk to them?
Old 13th August 2017, 02:50 AM   #14
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Not yeah. What does your internet provider say when you talk to them?
Sorry

If I plug the modem into the laptop I have internet, so yeah.

Plug modem into router, wifi doesn't have internet

Lap top using wifi can connect to router and you can browse to the log-in IP page on the lap top, then

No go accepting credentials

Old 13th August 2017, 03:11 AM   #15
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry

If I plug the modem into the laptop I have internet, so yeah.

Plug modem into router, wifi doesn't have internet

Lap top using wifi can connect to router and you can browse to the log-in IP page on the lap top, then

No go accepting credentials
OK, cool. You have internet via the modem. Just need to set up the router. Is the router connected to the modem?
Old 13th August 2017, 04:01 AM   #16
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

OK, cool. You have internet via the modem. Just need to set up the router. Is the router connected to the modem?
Yeah

Sitting next to each other

Just took ethernet cable (which comes from the modem) out of the lap-top and plug it into router

Push the button on the router. Wifi light is there. Unplugged lap top connects to router with wifi, says connected, no internet.

Browse on the lap top to the IP http://192.168.0.1

Comes up with router log-in page

Log-in says bad credentials

Old 13th August 2017, 09:14 AM   #17
GodMark2
Graduate Poster

You say you tried a 'hard reset' of the router: did you hold the reset button for at least 10 seconds. This should reset any passwords and settings to the 'from the factory' defaults. Just pressing the reset button is just like turning it off and on again: it doesn't change any settings.

Also, you normally cannot configure wifi routers via wifi: you need a direct connection. This is to ensure that only people with physical access to the router can change settings, and not people passing by on the street.
Old 13th August 2017, 01:11 PM   #18
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Did the whole 10 seconds, lights flashing thing.

Sorry mate. What do you mean by direct connection?

Have modem plugged into router plugged into lap top?

Old 13th August 2017, 07:18 PM   #19
GodMark2
Graduate Poster

Did the whole 10 seconds, lights flashing thing.

Sorry mate. What do you mean by direct connection?

Have modem plugged into router plugged into lap top?
Modem plugged into the WAN port on the router (next to the power socket and reset button).

Laptop plugged into any other port of the router.
Old 14th August 2017, 03:49 PM   #20
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by GodMark2 View Post
Modem plugged into the WAN port on the router (next to the power socket and reset button).

Laptop plugged into any other port of the router.
First part yes

Second part no. Lap top gone now. Using the Galaxy J5 via wifi Same thing. Connecting to router. Phone browser can get to ip and brings up login.

Username still not a drop-down

Type in Admin and leave password empty.

No recogniso credentianos

Old 14th August 2017, 04:28 PM   #21
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

OK

Slightly embarrassing

You know how I said I was having to type in the username?

It was admin not Admin. Bloody case sensitive buggers!

Still no internet, but got to config page where I can enter IP v4s etc

Will keep you posted

Old 14th August 2017, 11:16 PM   #22
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Update!

Thank you all for your help.

All sorted. Internet is there

Had to set it up as Static IP rather than DHCP and just chucked in the subnet, IP, gateways etc.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet