ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , jeffrey meldrum

Reply
Old 23rd June 2017, 08:11 PM   #2721
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,465
Originally Posted by Gigantor
I agree, the number of sighting report hoaxes is low enough as to be a non-factor. Video and photoshop hoaxing is all the rage, but its really just an adolescent rite of passage and also not a factor.
Other than all the fake reports. You know, those hoaxes.

Feynman famously said The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool.

Footers are the easiest to fool. And if others won't fool them, they'll do it themselves. Over and over and over. They'll do it with foolhardy impunity, then pat each other on the back, proud in their foolishness.
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2017, 08:13 AM   #2722
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,465
Meldrum is pimping a new project:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...tudy-science#/
Quote:
$2,595 USD raised by 21 backers 35% of $7,500
flexible goal
What, his department doesn't have a measly $7500 for the discovery of the century?
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2017, 09:42 AM   #2723
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 18,596
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Meldrum is pimping a new project:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...tudy-science#/

What, his department doesn't have a measly $7500 for the discovery of the century?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_DNA

Say Jeff, how about looking for EDNA in some of those footprints?
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2017, 05:47 PM   #2724
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster
 
HarryHenderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: All up in your business!
Posts: 1,556
How about looking for a mid-tarsal break in your own casting there Dandy Don?! The amazing thing is there's not a hint, a line, an indention, an indication of anything that bends in the "mid-tarsal" area of Meldrum's own casting and in fact the "foot" that made that particular impression has never been bent in that middle area ever. Apparently only some Bigfoot have the mid-tarsal break and all the others politely declined the offer?

HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 10:39 AM   #2725
The Shrike
Illuminator
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,454
I never trust dudes whose ties are the same color as their shirt like that. It means that he went to Penney's and got one of those shirt/tie combo packs that scream "I have so little creativity that I let corporate America tell me what goes with what. I'm basically a grown man in Garanimals."
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 05:59 PM   #2726
Jodie
Philosopher
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,872
Or he's colorblind.
__________________
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2017, 02:06 PM   #2727
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster
 
HarryHenderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: All up in your business!
Posts: 1,556
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
I never trust dudes whose ties are the same color as their shirt like that. It means that he went to Penney's and got one of those shirt/tie combo packs that scream "I have so little creativity that I let corporate America tell me what goes with what. I'm basically a grown man in Garanimals."
So funny!

Which really highlights the clear but seldom discussed awkwardness of The Don. I'm not sure I've seen a more awkward "scientist" on TV ever. Naturally I've not been in his class, but I've cringed enough at his scattered TV moments that being in his class couldn't possibly be any better. I always visualize that scene in Airplane where people keep committing suicide listening to Ted Striker tell his war tales. I mean, could Meldrum be any less interesting?! His mannerisms, overall pooziness, that ******* beard, and especially that wimpy voice, which never portrays even a hint of true authority or sincerity. To me his disingenuousness has always been so apparent I could never believe people actually bought it, but I had foolishly forgotten how stupid thick people can really be.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 05:52 PM   #2728
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 17,046
Key to understanding the Olympic Project "Bigfoot nests":

If human DNA is found... it's a Bigfoot nest that was contaminated by humans.

If bear DNA is found... it's a Bigfoot nest that was contaminated by bear.

If deer or elk DNA is found... it's a Bigfoot nest that was contaminated by deer or elk.

If any other animal DNA is found... it's a Bigfoot nest that was contaminated by other animals.

If no DNA is found... it's a Bigfoot nest from which no DNA was found.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2017, 10:02 AM   #2729
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster
 
HarryHenderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: All up in your business!
Posts: 1,556
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Key to understanding the Olympic Project "Bigfoot nests":
If human DNA is found... it's a Bigfoot nest that was contaminated by humans.
If bear DNA is found... it's a Bigfoot nest that was contaminated by bear.
If deer or elk DNA is found... it's a Bigfoot nest that was contaminated by deer or elk.
If any other animal DNA is found... it's a Bigfoot nest that was contaminated by other animals.
If no DNA is found... it's a Bigfoot nest from which no DNA was found.
So what you're saying is it's a Bigfoot nest? What is a Bigfoot nest anyway? And why does DNA think this one was a nest? Wait I meant DWA.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2017, 10:33 AM   #2730
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 18,596
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Key to understanding the Olympic Project "Bigfoot nests":

If human DNA is found... it's a Bigfoot nest that was contaminated by humans.
Or Bigfoot DNA can't be distinguished from human DNA...
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 08:56 AM   #2731
The Shrike
Illuminator
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,454
It's almost . . . unfalsifiable!
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 06:25 PM   #2732
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster
 
HarryHenderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: All up in your business!
Posts: 1,556


A potential simple way for us to game Meldrum's own game is to offer him some money. It's an obvious fact he's into Bigfooting for the money (and the chicks, man), but of course his claim is he's only into Bigfooting for the science. Okay Mr. Science, let's play that. Offer him enough money that his saying no actually makes him look like an asshat. Say offer $10,000 for him to come here and get annihilated by debate us? In theory it puts him into a conundrum he probably never expected. Does he take the money and risk being outed as the hack that he is (within just a short amount of time), or does he refuse because he knows that's true, but also knows it'll make him look like a real douchebag to his followers for not defending Bigfoot from a bunch of Internet hacks (whilst making $10,000 that could fund all manner of stupid new Bigfoot tricks)? If he's so convinced Bigfoot is real there's absolutely nothing here that's standing in his way of going out and getting one and proving us wrong. Until then there's questions he's never felt compelled to want to answer.

Heck, I'm willing for him to come here and just debate The Shrike, his legitimate professional peer, though that's in no way good news for him. We could make up a a wanted poster. Wanted Alive - Don Jeffrey Meldrum - $10,000 - Must Be Brought In Alive By Don Jeffrey Meldrum Himself. He'll NEVER show up here (or make his presence known if he does/has).
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2017, 12:42 PM   #2733
The Shrike
Illuminator
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,454
This would be my debate plan for Meldrum.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2017, 01:27 PM   #2734
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster
 
HarryHenderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: All up in your business!
Posts: 1,556
I'd pay $10k just to see that.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2017, 08:52 PM   #2735
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,238
Meldrum will simply say he would not waste his time. In all my interactions with him regarding Bigfoot evidence claims, if something can be resoundingly shown to be not Bigfoot, but it is something he has promoted, such as the Skookum elk lay or the Blue Creek Mountain Ray Wallace hoax tracks from August 1967, and you show him that evidence and try to engage him on it, he quickly becomes angry and will not engage further.

The fact that to most fundamentalists horror, he hitched himself to Todd Standing for profit, it shows he is far more interested in prestige and profit than any desire for truth. Offering him money to engage in debate would not interest him because there would be not only no prestige with the profit, but a loss of prestige at the inevitable huff he gets in when he can't preach to the choir.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 04:31 PM   #2736
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster
 
HarryHenderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: All up in your business!
Posts: 1,556
My bigger point is more obscure than I thought. We use it to embarrass him. The offer itself is the game. How does he respond?! As my last sentence above exclaims I know he'll never show up here, so we take advantage of that specific fact. We put out a legitimate request for Don Meldrum, say on his Facebook page, to show up at the ISF for A Few Good Questions™ for $10,000. And when he doesn't show we lose absolutely nothing, but he potentially loses a bunch of things. That is I definitely can't see him benefiting from it. I mean, if we're gonna take the guy down we gotta take the guy down.

Oh and if he ever does decide to show up, it's easily covered, The Shrike's got the cash.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 05:55 PM   #2737
DennyT
Master Poster
 
DennyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,950
I don't think a cash offer is needed. Why not just set up a conference in Pocatello? Could even be on campus.
__________________
"Take the children, but LEAVE ME MY MONKEY!"
--Dewey Cox, in "Walk Hard: the Dewey Cox Story."
"The main skill of bigfoot investigators is finding ways to deny the obvious." --DFoot
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2017, 02:05 PM   #2738
gigmaster
Student
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Chatsworth, Ga. USA
Posts: 45
An education does not insulate one from being, "Out There"... Many scientists have gone over the edge, J. Alan Hynek, Jacques Valiee, Dr. Timothy Leary, Frank J. Tipler, just to name a few. With all due respect to Dr. Meldrums position, he is merely another victim of ignoring science in favor of a desired outcome. The scant 'evidence' that he champions is only 'evidence' if you ignore the rest of science. It just doesn't work that way.

I am sure Dr. Meldrum is as sincere and honest as the day is long. But you can be sincere and honest, and still be in error. That doesn't mean he is not probably a great teacher. I imagine he is, or the University would not keep him.
gigmaster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 06:08 PM   #2739
The Shrike
Illuminator
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,454
Well he's an outstanding advocate for the Mormon Church at a land-grant university. That's almost certainly where his support comes from in Administration.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2017, 04:46 AM   #2740
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,801
Originally Posted by DennyT View Post
I don't think a cash offer is needed. Why not just set up a conference in Pocatello? Could even be on campus.
Yes this.

It is a checkmate move. Either he accepts the invite and you clobber him, or he doesn't show up and you can add to your presentation that "THE GREAT BIGFOOT PROFESSOR DECLINED TO TALK WITH US HERE TODAY"
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2017, 05:34 AM   #2741
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,238
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Well he's an outstanding advocate for the Mormon Church at a land-grant university. That's almost certainly where his support comes from in Administration.
Meldrum's Mormon cult gobbledy-goop championing is I think the biggest indication that you can get a PhD and drink a whole lot of Kool-Aid at the same time.

https://www.amazon.ca/Who-Children-L.../dp/1589581296
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2017, 02:15 PM   #2742
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster
 
HarryHenderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: All up in your business!
Posts: 1,556
Originally Posted by DennyT View Post
I don't think a cash offer is needed. Why not just set up a conference in Pocatello? Could even be on campus.
I'll explain it one more time and then I'll forget it. We don't have to do anything except make the offer.We don't have to set up a tent on a university campus that's 2,500 miles away. Or get permission or get lunch or a hotel room. Or even make a phone call, once the offer is made all we have to do is what everyone who "prays" for somebody does, nothing.

Originally Posted by gigmaster View Post
...I am sure Dr. Meldrum is as sincere and honest as the day is long. But you can be sincere and honest, and still be in error. That doesn't mean he is not probably a great teacher. I imagine he is, or the University would not keep him.
Really? The ole "bad employees don't have jobs so he must be a good one" routine? That's twice this week. But seriously, sincere and honest as the day is long? I promise that's not true. Though the exact degree of which has been in debate here for awhile.

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Well he's an outstanding advocate for the Mormon Church at a land-grant university. That's almost certainly where his support comes from in Administration.
But...

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Yes this.

It is a checkmate move. Either he accepts the invite and you clobber him, or he doesn't show up and you can add to your presentation that "THE GREAT BIGFOOT PROFESSOR DECLINED TO TALK WITH US HERE TODAY"
If we actually had an ISF Field Office (or even an ISF Field Officer) on the ISU campus, yes that could work, but short of that...


Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
Meldrum's Mormon cult gobbledy-goop championing is I think the biggest indication that you can get a PhD and drink a whole lot of Kool-Aid at the same time.

https://www.amazon.ca/Who-Children-L.../dp/1589581296
Here's a bit of trivia, the flavor of Kool-Aid™ Don Meldrum usually drinks, Floor Matt®, comes from a supplier named Moneymaker Amalgamated Kool Industries LLC in CA. Just a coincidence?
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2017, 09:34 AM   #2743
The Shrike
Illuminator
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,454
More tourist-trap bigfoot bs from our trip to Colorado. These items were for sale in the gift shop at the museum for the cliff-dweller Pueblo in Manitou Springs. Bonus - Meldrum's ridiculous "field guide" for how to do real pseudoscience just like the pros!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 12.30.27 PM.jpg (59.2 KB, 12 views)
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2017, 05:47 PM   #2744
gigmaster
Student
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Chatsworth, Ga. USA
Posts: 45
Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
Really? The ole "bad employees don't have jobs so he must be a good one" routine? That's twice this week. But seriously, sincere and honest as the day is long? I promise that's not true. Though the exact degree of which has been in debate here for awhile.
What direct evidence do you have that Dr. Meldrum is not honest? Has he stolen anything? Can you point to a purposeful lie that he has told? Has he broken any laws? Does he treat his family well? I can disagree with someone without attacking them personally.

As far as the first part of your response, I have been around a long time, and it has been my experience that, except for the government, in general, bad employees seldom keep their positions for very long.

There is no valid evidence for the existence of Bigfoot as anything other than campfire stories. Until any real evidence is obtained and verified, any other explanations are poppycock, regardless of who they come from.
gigmaster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2017, 08:02 PM   #2745
Pterodactyl
Muse
 
Pterodactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 597
Originally Posted by gigmaster View Post
What direct evidence do you have that Dr. Meldrum is not honest? Has he stolen anything? Can you point to a purposeful lie that he has told? Has he broken any laws? Does he treat his family well? I can disagree with someone without attacking them personally.

As far as the first part of your response, I have been around a long time, and it has been my experience that, except for the government, in general, bad employees seldom keep their positions for very long.

There is no valid evidence for the existence of Bigfoot as anything other than campfire stories. Until any real evidence is obtained and verified, any other explanations are poppycock, regardless of who they come from.
The first question (in bold) is answered by the second bolded part.

Selling bogus bigfoot casts and "studying" them under the guise of legitimate research is dishonest. By your own definition.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2017, 05:41 PM   #2746
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster
 
HarryHenderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: All up in your business!
Posts: 1,556
Originally Posted by gigmaster View Post
What direct evidence do you have that Dr. Meldrum is not honest? Has he stolen anything? Can you point to a purposeful lie that he has told? Has he broken any laws? Does he treat his family well? I can disagree with someone without attacking them personally.

As far as the first part of your response, I have been around a long time, and it has been my experience that, except for the government, in general, bad employees seldom keep their positions for very long.

There is no valid evidence for the existence of Bigfoot as anything other than campfire stories. Until any real evidence is obtained and verified, any other explanations are poppycock, regardless of who they come from.
Pterodactyl responded to this with pith I do not possess.

And your one exception, government, applies in this case. Just FTR.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2017, 10:37 AM   #2747
The Shrike
Illuminator
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,454
Originally Posted by gigmaster View Post
What direct evidence do you have that Dr. Meldrum is not honest?
This is page 69 of a thread devoted to that exact question. Is he self-deluded or a classic swindler?

Originally Posted by gigmaster View Post
. . . , except for the government, in general, bad employees seldom keep their positions for very long.
Meldrum is in government. He's an employee of the state of Idaho. He also has tenure. That's a double-whammy of difficulty in getting rid of him. We've discussed in this thread various scenarios to explain how he's kept his job.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2017, 05:10 PM   #2748
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,238
Originally Posted by gigmaster View Post
What direct evidence do you have that Dr. Meldrum is not honest? Has he stolen anything? Can you point to a purposeful lie that he has told? Has he broken any laws? Does he treat his family well? I can disagree with someone without attacking them personally.
Meldrum collaborates with and endorses known hoaxer Todd Standing and his ridiculous Muppetfoots..
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2017, 02:37 AM   #2749
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 18,596
I would say that it is difficult to believe that Meldrum is honest.

Taxpayer money spent on a hoax is bothersome.
A supposed scientist backing a hoax and hoaxers is bothersome.

I would also say that some of Meldrum's papers are not honest in that it's difficult to believe he is objective.

These papers are not honest efforts, imo:

http://www2.isu.edu/~meldd/fxnlmorph.html

http://www2.isu.edu/rhi/pdf/Footprin...se%20Yeren.pdf

http://cryptomundo.com/wp-content/up...th_america.pdf

Meldrum also seems a bit two-faced at times, criticizing bigfoot TV shows yet participating in the very same sorts of shows, such as the Monsterquest Snelgrove Lake show.

http://idahostatejournal.com/members...b6246b4a9.html

EDIT: Don't forget the Blimp. Seriously. Meldrum wanted to use a blimp...a blimp that no one could find...
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 5th August 2017 at 02:42 AM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2017, 02:43 AM   #2750
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 18,596
Does anyone think that Meldrum actually believes (or believed) Gigantopithecus families are wandering the woods of North America?

Quote:
“My working hypothesis has always been that this is very likely Gigantopithecus extant — that we have a species that’s in the right place at the right time, the right size and some of the right characteristics in the form of Gigantopithecus in East Asia during the late Pleistocene [era] to have expanded into North America,” said Jeff Meldrum, a professor of anatomy and anthropology at Idaho State University.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2199984.html
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2017, 07:51 AM   #2751
The Shrike
Illuminator
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,454
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I would say that it is difficult to believe that Meldrum is honest.

. . .
Starts his own journal to publish crap he wasn't even trying to publish in actual journals. That alone should be a serious breach of his academic integrity commitment at ISU.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2017, 05:45 AM   #2752
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,801
Quote:
“My working hypothesis has always been that this is very likely Gigantopithecus extant — that we have a species that’s in the right place at the right time, the right size and some of the right characteristics in the form of Gigantopithecus in East Asia during the late Pleistocene [era] to have expanded into North America,” said Jeff Meldrum, a professor of anatomy and anthropology at Idaho State University
This is shady too.
Gigantopithecus' northern most location is around 8000 miles from Bering land bridge.

If you think you can convince people, that a quadrupedal, giant bamboo eater, is going to pick up the fam and walk 8000 miles, then that is shady.

I brought this up on his Facebook page, I even offered him an out. I said it was far more likely that a couple of Gigantopithici were on a chunk of floating land/grasses/bamboo that broke off the mainland and floated across the pacific. He said something like: it wasn't a reasonable option.
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 04:45 PM   #2753
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster
 
HarryHenderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: All up in your business!
Posts: 1,556
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
This is shady too.
Gigantopithecus' northern most location is around 8000 miles from Bering land bridge.

If you think you can convince people, that a quadrupedal, giant bamboo eater, is going to pick up the fam and walk 8000 miles, then that is shady.

I brought this up on his Facebook page, I even offered him an out. I said it was far more likely that a couple of Gigantopithici were on a chunk of floating land/grasses/bamboo that broke off the mainland and floated across the pacific. He said something like: it wasn't a reasonable option.
The deliberate obfuscation by invoking lesser known elements of "science" that are still in deep question themselves proves his dishonesty. He knows the science on Gigantopithecus is not extensive nor settled in any way, yet blatantly says he uses it as the "always been" basis for his interest in Bigfoot? Without a single piece of actual modern day evidence? Mere mortals could probably do that, but he's the gawd scientist who should know better.

And I didn't realize you had interactions with him on Facebook. Ask him why there is evidence of a species that went extinct 100,000 years ago yet not a single lick of it for the purported thriving modern version some 100,000 years later. How is it physically possible for us humans to have somehow been totally unable to discern such a beast's existence in all that time, and why hasn't its existence ever impacted us humans, ever? Don Jeffrey really believes in this newfangled concept of "new species through special pleading" process being looked at by scientists congress nobody?
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 09:20 AM   #2754
Gilbert Syndrome
Illuminator
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 4,488
Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
The deliberate obfuscation by invoking lesser known elements of "science" that are still in deep question themselves proves his dishonesty. He knows the science on Gigantopithecus is not extensive nor settled in any way, yet blatantly says he uses it as the "always been" basis for his interest in Bigfoot? Without a single piece of actual modern day evidence? Mere mortals could probably do that, but he's the gawd scientist who should know better.

And I didn't realize you had interactions with him on Facebook. Ask him why there is evidence of a species that went extinct 100,000 years ago yet not a single lick of it for the purported thriving modern version some 100,000 years later. How is it physically possible for us humans to have somehow been totally unable to discern such a beast's existence in all that time, and why hasn't its existence ever impacted us humans, ever? Don Jeffrey really believes in this newfangled concept of "new species through special pleading" process being looked at by scientists congress nobody?
The man willingly takes part in blatant and known hoaxes, so his legitimacy isn't even worth questioning at this point.

From the Russian Yeti nonsense which he knew was a joke, only to later pretend that he'd been hoodwinked, to that nonsense "Bigfoot Captured" crap, which wasn't even trying to hide the fact that it was a fictional show, and yet had Meldrum on it giving his best scientist impression alongside an equally idiotic John Bindernagel, to the Skookum crap, and beyond.

It's clear that the only people who take Meldrum seriously are the few true retards who still think Bigfoot could be out there.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 06:37 AM   #2755
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,801
Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post

And I didn't realize you had interactions with him on Facebook.
Oh he blocked me after I asked him about the Falcon Project, in the months before that got blown up.
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 02:59 PM   #2756
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster
 
HarryHenderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: All up in your business!
Posts: 1,556
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
The man willingly takes part in blatant and known hoaxes, so his legitimacy isn't even worth questioning at this point.

From the Russian Yeti nonsense which he knew was a joke, only to later pretend that he'd been hoodwinked, to that nonsense "Bigfoot Captured" crap, which wasn't even trying to hide the fact that it was a fictional show, and yet had Meldrum on it giving his best scientist impression alongside an equally idiotic John Bindernagel, to the Skookum crap, and beyond.

It's clear that the only people who take Meldrum seriously are the few true retards who still think Bigfoot could be out there.
Love that word retards! Far better at describing his type of minion than the sort with an actual "intellectual disability" (the new PC term). He's made it clear he's greedy. Seems he accepts every paying Bigfoot gig offered, no matter the "science". And really only has to worry about his next LIE that will excuse his deliberate participation in such stupid ****.

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Oh he blocked me after I asked him about the Falcon Project, in the months before that got blown up.
Of course he did because he's such a **** ******. "I'm a scientist, but I hate intelligent questions that expose ruses. You're blocked." Really Don "Criminal Mind" Meldrum? That's why he'll never come here for any amount of anything. No control over the ambient intelligence. His ruse would look like burnt Nevada Test Site™ toast afterwards.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 06:29 PM   #2757
Fighting Zorros
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2
Don't forget the Todd Standing partnership.
Fighting Zorros is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2017, 08:50 AM   #2758
The Shrike
Illuminator
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,454
If we really can't tell the difference between how stupid vs. how shady he is, does it really matter? Either way his credibility is zero.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM   #2759
DennyT
Master Poster
 
DennyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,950
Apparently he is going to talk about the PGF at a "conference" in Kennewick over Labor Day.
__________________
"Take the children, but LEAVE ME MY MONKEY!"
--Dewey Cox, in "Walk Hard: the Dewey Cox Story."
"The main skill of bigfoot investigators is finding ways to deny the obvious." --DFoot
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:46 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.