ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags gun control issues , gun control laws

Old 11th August 2017, 08:38 PM   #201
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
By scale, I meant "of international importance". Siberia is big in land area, but who knows the mayor of Siberia?

Not me, but, in terms of scale, I think Siberia has a Governor, not a Mayor. Or whatever they call them in Roosia. Govenrski, lives in a mansion in Siberioskiiy?

Now back to California, which has an economy of $2.5T. Pikers. the both of you.

Last edited by casebro; 11th August 2017 at 08:40 PM.
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 08:52 PM   #202
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Pikers. the both of you.
Only 'cause we don't count all the things that can kill you, unlike you lot with your guns.

If we put an economic value on bitey things, we'd be king o' the world!
Old 12th August 2017, 08:00 AM   #203
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post

If we put an economic value on bitey things, we'd be king o' the world!
Can't argue with that
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 09:28 AM   #204
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
And even if they were, it's no excuse for making up their own facts.

Well, if coming to conclusions without any numbers is "making up their own facts", I wonder how the NRA supports their conclusions...
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 01:19 PM   #205
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Well, if coming to conclusions without any numbers is "making up their own facts", I wonder how the NRA supports their conclusions...
I'm no fan of the NRA either, so I'll have to constantly monitor my BS filter when taking either side's arguments into consideration, even though I'm quite obviously on the pro side. Both sides engage in lies and fear mongering. Full stop.

I will have to say some of that pro-gun lying and fear-mongering are actually turning out to be true when pro-gun advocates warned us about when California passed its Unsafe Handgun Act (UHA). In it's original inception, the CA Dept of Justice (DOJ) mandated that handguns manufactured and / or sold In CA be able to reliably fire ammunition without malfunction and be able to pass drop tests. The DOJ would then maintain a roster of guns that would be certified for sale in CA once they passed their tests.

Consumer safety, dontchaknow. Not at all about banning guns. The DOJ wanted us to have best quality handguns by weeding out inferior and unsafe designs.

Skip ahead nearly 20 years and numerous pro-gun rights groups (NRA among them) are fighting in court to stop the DOJ from its defacto ban on new semi automatic handguns which do not meet the requirement for non-existent microstamping standards under the UHA. Only semi autos that eject a microstamped cartridge are consider a safe handgun under the UHA. New models that don't have this non-existent standard aren't legal for sale in CA.

It's a legal fight of great significance - Should California prevail, The DOJ could theoretically ban revolvers too since they don't eject spent cartridges and therefore can be deemed unsafe handguns under the UHA.

Nice.

NRA, among others, warned us about this when it was proposed back in the late 90's. Now they, among others, get to say "Told ya."

Last edited by AJM8125; 12th August 2017 at 01:27 PM.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 11:03 PM   #206
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
I'm no fan of the NRA either, so I'll have to constantly monitor my BS filter when taking either side's arguments into consideration, even though I'm quite obviously on the pro side. Both sides engage in lies and fear mongering. Full stop.

I will have to say some of that pro-gun lying and fear-mongering are actually turning out to be true when pro-gun advocates warned us about when California passed its Unsafe Handgun Act (UHA). In it's original inception, the CA Dept of Justice (DOJ) mandated that handguns manufactured and / or sold In CA be able to reliably fire ammunition without malfunction and be able to pass drop tests. The DOJ would then maintain a roster of guns that would be certified for sale in CA once they passed their tests.

Consumer safety, dontchaknow. Not at all about banning guns. The DOJ wanted us to have best quality handguns by weeding out inferior and unsafe designs.

Skip ahead nearly 20 years and numerous pro-gun rights groups (NRA among them) are fighting in court to stop the DOJ from its defacto ban on new semi automatic handguns which do not meet the requirement for non-existent microstamping standards under the UHA. Only semi autos that eject a microstamped cartridge are consider a safe handgun under the UHA. New models that don't have this non-existent standard aren't legal for sale in CA.

It's a legal fight of great significance - Should California prevail, The DOJ could theoretically ban revolvers too since they don't eject spent cartridges and therefore can be deemed unsafe handguns under the UHA.

Nice.

NRA, among others, warned us about this when it was proposed back in the late 90's. Now they, among others, get to say "Told ya."

That's quite a lot of effort for a non-response to my post. Or are you seriously suggesting that the NRA's "predictions" about legislative efforts absolve them of any responsibility to support their various claims with actual numbers?

Last edited by Cl1mh4224rd; 12th August 2017 at 11:04 PM.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 08:52 AM   #207
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

That's quite a lot of effort for a non-response to my post. Or are you seriously suggesting that the NRA's "predictions" about legislative efforts absolve them of any responsibility to support their various claims with actual numbers?
I guess you would have to post an itemized list of those claims if you want a refutation.
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 09:08 AM   #208
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I guess you would have to post an itemized list of those claims if you want a refutation.

The general claim "more guns, less crime" would be a good place to start.
Old 13th August 2017, 09:26 AM   #209
Giz
Philosopher

Well, as Lott would probably offend you, how about the state of Vermont? Vermont has the most firearms ownership and just about the lowest crime and murder rates... It's a sociology/economic/cultural issue - not scary guns, that is a symptom.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 01:21 PM   #210
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I think the US is a perfect storm of miseducation by the media, availability of small arms and, crucially - and this last bit is the kicker - inequality of income.

I don't think the guns help. I don't think they're the root of the issue, this is:

https://thinkprogress.org/study-inco...-84076065498a/

"A World Bank sponsored study subsequently confirmed these results on income inequality concluding that, worldwide, homicide and the unequal distribution of resources are inextricably tied."
Yes, I have posted these graphs before

link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 06:11 PM   #211
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Chart 1 seems to be about 100 countries short of "the world".

Chart 2, why exclude Mexico?

Chart 3, USA seems about right in the middle.

So, what was your point you were trying to make with them?
Old 13th August 2017, 06:17 PM   #212
SezMe
post-pre-born

Well, as Lott would probably offend you, how about the state of Vermont? Vermont has the most firearms ownership and just about the lowest crime and murder rates... It's a sociology/economic/cultural issue - not scary guns, that is a symptom.
What a poor example. Vermont has no large cities and and incredibly homogeneous population. As such it is a outlier and provides no useful insight to the general problem.

ETA: Doesn't Lott offend you? If not, why not?

Last edited by SezMe; 13th August 2017 at 06:18 PM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 08:17 PM   #213
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
What a poor example. Vermont has no large cities and and incredibly homogeneous population. As such it is a outlier and provides no useful insight to the general problem.

ETA: Doesn't Lott offend you? If not, why not?
That just proves my point. Vermont has guns, but not gun crime. Therefore the issue is with socio-economic-cultural problems in the other states... Not with guns.
Old 14th August 2017, 04:17 AM   #214
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Guns don't offer protection – whatever the National Rifle Association says

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 04:30 AM   #215
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I don't think that's the most important question to be asking.

I think a more important claim to be addressing is "more guns, less death".
Old 14th August 2017, 05:27 AM   #216
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
Did you read the study? They specifically say that the headline results don't allow for being involved in criminal activity or location. Here's a snippet where they caveat their work:

"However, compared with control participants, shooting case participants were significantly more often Hispanic, more frequently working in high-risk occupations1,2, less educated, and had a greater frequency of prior arrest. At the time of shooting, case participants were also significantly more often involved with alcohol and drugs, outdoors, and closer to areas where more Blacks, Hispanics, and unemployed individuals resided. Case participants were also more likely to be located in areas with less income and more illicit drug trafficking (Table 1)."

In other words, if you engage in criminal activity or are nearby a lot of criminal activity, then you have more chance of being in a violent criminal altercation. (Stop the press!)

If they had controlled for location and frequency of prior arrest, then it might have been an interesting study... But they didn't (probably because they knew that would screw up their nice figure).

Just to illustrate why frequency of prior arrest (that they didn't control for) is so important:

"People with a criminal record were also more likely to die as homicide victims.[66] Between 1990 and 1994, 75% of all homicide victims age 21 and younger in the city of Boston had a prior criminal record.[96] In Philadelphia, the percentage of those killed in gun homicides that had prior criminal records increased from 73% in 1985 to 93% in 1996.[66][97] In Richmond, Virginia, the risk of gunshot injury is 22 times higher for those males involved with crime.[98]"
Old 14th August 2017, 09:07 AM   #217
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

You know, whenever studies show something gun owners don't like, they'll cut it this way, cut it that way, decide that whatever protocols were used are the wrong ones, and dismiss the results out of hand. If you compare two countries' gun ownership and gun crime rates, they say you can't compare different countries, but if you point to one country where gun crime went down after a gun ban, they'll point to another where it didn't.

And Americans will keep dying.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 10:31 AM   #218
Giz
Philosopher

... dismiss the results out of hand...
Yeah, I've noticed some out of hand dismissing of inconvenient truths. (However, If you review my post you'll see where I pointed out the overwhelming factors they had failed to control for in their methodology. Perhaps your post was in the form of a self critique?)
Old 14th August 2017, 11:03 AM   #219
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

How much crime in US is done with illegally held weapons ? I believe it's a lot. You should fight illegal weapons before you limit legal ones, IMHO.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 11:19 AM   #220
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
How much crime in US is done with illegally held weapons ? I believe it's a lot. You should fight illegal weapons before you limit legal ones, IMHO.
The problem is that how many of those guns were transferred from the legal to illegal gun markets without the sellers committing a crime? The illegal guns start off as legal guns after all.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 11:33 AM   #221
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Yeah, I've noticed some out of hand dismissing of inconvenient truths. (However, If you review my post you'll see where I pointed out the overwhelming factors they had failed to control for in their methodology. Perhaps your post was in the form of a self critique?)
Did you read that article beyond the third paragraph? A lot of other studies that come to similar conclusions are cited. Are they all flawed?

Old 14th August 2017, 11:44 AM   #222
Giz
Philosopher

Did you read that article beyond the third paragraph? A lot of other studies that come to similar conclusions are cited. Are they all flawed?
I read all of this study. Especially where it said:

"However, compared with control participants, shooting case participants were significantly more often Hispanic, more frequently working in high-risk occupations1,2, less educated, and had a greater frequency of prior arrest. At the time of shooting, case participants were also significantly more often involved with alcohol and drugs, outdoors, and closer to areas where more Blacks, Hispanics, and unemployed individuals resided. Case participants were also more likely to be located in areas with less income and more illicit drug trafficking (Table 1)."

We can look into the methodology of the other studies too, if you want. So far I have been commenting on the one you linked to. (Move those goal posts! )
Old 14th August 2017, 11:52 AM   #223
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

We can look into the methodology of the other studies too, if you want. So far I have been commenting on the one you linked to. (Move those goal posts! )
I linked to a newspaper article that quoted several studies. Here's another one for you to ignore.

Old 14th August 2017, 12:34 PM   #224
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
The problem is that how many of those guns were transferred from the legal to illegal gun markets without the sellers committing a crime? The illegal guns start off as legal guns after all.
Agreed. That's where registration would help, while not limiting 'law abiding' owners in the least. But I hear gun owners don't want that either, as in Australia registration preceded confiscation few years later (of certain types).
But then many countries have registration, and never went for confiscation. And registration itself is quite powerful. You need registration for car, why not gun ?
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 12:08 PM   #225
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I linked to a newspaper article that quoted several studies. Here's another one for you to ignore.
Isn't the point of this thread American violence?

But if you want to go international, where do the other 140 countries compare?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events