ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , jeffrey meldrum

Old 28th January 2011, 03:02 PM   #361
AtomicMysteryMonster
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Meldrum says that there may be two species of Yeti leaving tracks...

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/e027337a.gif
The track on the left suggests overlaid animal tracks to me. The splayed toes kinda remind me of the confirmed overlays shown here. I'm not saying that the same type of animal made the Gates track, though.

As for the one on the right, Meldrum doesn't seem to realize that the Shipton track is most likely a hoax and that the original Yeti legend referred to a "man-bear." Considering that apes live in the area and are known to the natives, this should give Meldrum a clue that the Yeti isn't an ape.

You can fool too many of the people too much of the time. - James Thurber
AtomicMysteryMonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2011, 08:16 AM   #362
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
Meldrum will speaking and signing books at Indiana University Southeast Jan 27. I won't be attending.

Review from this lecture...

Quote:
Doug Darnowski, associate professor of biology at IUS, invited Meldrum to speak at the university after hearing him on a radio program and reading one of his books on the subject.

"He can match these things in one place and find them between unconnected people over periods of decades," Darnowski said. "There's so much detailed information he's found in these things like the dermal ridges shown in the prints."

Meldrum said he knows subjects like Sasquatch can appear campy and some of the evidence shown from other sources isnít scientific, but he tries to be as open-minded in his approach as he can.

"You need to rein in your imagination and really look at this from an objective standpoint," Meldrum said.

Dermal ridges? Is Meldrum intellectually dishonest?

So why would this Darnowski guy invite Meldrum?

Quote:
Darnowski said after the presentation he wasn't any more compelled to believe in Bigfoot, Sasquatch or the Yeti than he was before. But that's because he already thought such creatures might exist.
Oh, because he's a Bigfoot believer.
Old 29th January 2011, 02:00 PM   #363
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Dermal ridges? Is Meldrum intellectually dishonest?
Yes, and the choir hasn't the guts to call him on any of it. Not even on the obvious.

Now...an obvious question from a footer is.."Why don't you call him on it?"

Well, we have, many times in these threads.

As far as directly, it's not the skeptics who have the influence. The message has to come from the footer community to have any effect on Meldrum or the choir.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 29th January 2011 at 02:03 PM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2011, 06:44 PM   #364
DennyT
Master Poster

Meldrum and others are featured on a new History Channel program on bigfoot tomorrow Wed 2/2 evening 6 pm pacific. I will watch as much as I can but am going to drink a beer every time someone utters the expression"reliable/competent witnesses."
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2011, 12:46 AM   #365
xblade
Critical Thinker

Thanks for the heads up. This site has a description of the show. Interesting that it says only 10% of the sightings can't be explained. That's only 1,000 or so sightings over 100+ years that THEY say can't be explained. We know how they can be when it comes to being unexplained.

Last edited by xblade; 2nd February 2011 at 12:49 AM.
xblade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2011, 06:59 AM   #366
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.bigfootlunchclub.com/2011...n-history.html

Sounds like another jokefest at the expense of footers...

I hope it does feature the myakka photos...

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/bfdefinitive/

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo...initive-guide/

Last edited by LTC8K6; 2nd February 2011 at 07:02 AM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2011, 10:55 AM   #367
Drewbot
Philosopher

Meldrum and others are featured on a new History Channel program on bigfoot tomorrow Wed 2/2 evening 6 pm pacific. I will watch as much as I can but am going to drink a beer every time someone utters the expression"reliable/competent witnesses."
I think we should set up a Bigfoot room at the next TAM, we could all sit around and drink beer, or Bookers, and criticize Bigfoot TV shows.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2011, 11:28 AM   #368
GT/CS
Illuminator

Don't forget "credible".
Old 2nd February 2011, 11:32 AM   #369
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

From ISU (Meldrum's University)...

Quote:
Science is increasingly recognizing that past Homo sapiens shared the planet with other upright walking primates. As recently as 20,000 years ago there were four or more other species of Homo coexisting across Asia, plus a number of species of large apes, according to participating panel members. Could the survival of some of these into the present have spawned the stories of the yeti, the sasquatch, and the orang pendek?

Last October, Meldrum met in Montreal with four other accomplished scholars for a roundtable discussion of this very possibility. The theme was relic man-like creatures around the globe.

Meldrum was joined by Jack Rink, geochemist, McMaster University, who has dated numerous hominid sites, including cave deposits bearing Gigantopithecus fossils; Anna Nekaris, primatologist, Oxford Brookes University, who specializes in nocturnal southeast Asian primates; William Sellars, computational zoologist, University of Manchester, who models primate locomotion and the evolution of bipedalism; and Ian Redmond, tropical biologist and conservationist, best known for his work with the mountain gorillas.

The panel of five considered the pervasive and persistent reports of unrecognized man-like creatures from remote forested corners of the globe and weighed the evidence for their existence. "It was personally gratifying to hear my colleagues objectively evaluate the footprints, hair samples and sightings as serious evidence; to see their intrigue mount as they contemplated its implications," Meldrum said.

Prediction: Meldrum is brought together with some "newbie" scientists who are mostly unfamiliar with the blind insanity and dishonesty of Bigfootery. Meldrum can present to them things such as dermal ridge evidence, the Skookum Cast and Wallace fakes without them knowing that these have already been discredited. They will have no clue that Freeman was a hoaxer nor the many reasons why the PGF is obviously a fake. The program will certainly not conclude that Bigfoot probably does not exist. It will be thumbs-up for Bigfoot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f315KXimQO0L9kbBAs0Ac8ld2Gk-large.jpg (31.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 2nd February 2011, 11:52 AM   #370
The Shrike
Illuminator

Prediction: Meldrum is brought together with some "newbie" scientists who are mostly unfamiliar with the blind insanity and dishonesty of Bigfootery. . . . It will be thumbs-up for Bigfoot.
I think you're a prime contender to win a million bucks from the JREF . . .
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2011, 12:09 PM   #371
GT/CS
Illuminator

"Meldrum met in Montreal with four other accomplished scholars"

I think a more interesting debate would be for the 4 folks to discuss whether Meldrum is an accomplished scholar. That is assuming the 4 of them are accomplished scholars.
Old 2nd February 2011, 01:53 PM   #372
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

It's like " Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science "

They don't bother to mention the final score, which was something like
Science " 5 "- Legend " 0 "..
Not to mention, the entire Legend team ended up on the injured reserve list ..

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2011, 05:19 PM   #373
DennyT
Master Poster

Isn't there a law against taking Mormons across state lines for idiotic purposes?
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2011, 06:22 PM   #374
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Isn't there a law against taking Mormons across state lines for idiotic purposes?

No, no, it's against the law to take idiots across state lines for Mormon purposes.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2011, 07:35 PM   #375
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Called it "The Patterson Film" not P-G...

Old 2nd February 2011, 07:42 PM   #376
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

No agreement on the PGF.

Old 2nd February 2011, 07:50 PM   #377
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Boring me to death so far...

Old 2nd February 2011, 10:11 PM   #378
DennyT
Master Poster

The dog sequence was pathetic. You know , that is part of Meldrum's grant.
Old 2nd February 2011, 10:15 PM   #379
DennyT
Master Poster

On the other hand, the Brit and the stick structures was patently ridiculous.
Old 2nd February 2011, 10:19 PM   #380
DennyT
Master Poster

Meldrum showed himself to be either a simpleton or dishonest with his story about having stones thrown at the Snelgrove Lake cabin. The DNA found there was human, and he knows it.
Old 3rd February 2011, 06:59 AM   #381
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Parnassus
Meldrum showed himself to be either a simpleton or dishonest with his story about having stones thrown at the Snelgrove Lake cabin.
<snip>
Or both.

Last edited by GT/CS; 3rd February 2011 at 07:00 AM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2011, 08:39 AM   #382
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Henry May has put the entire program on YouTube. You can find the 9 parts here. It's called "Bigfoot-The Definitive Guide".

I've only watched Part 1 so far. At least one of the gathered scientists (besides Meldrum) was already a believer - a Yeti hunter. They also misrepresent the situation with the "Bili Ape" and of course use it to prop up Bigfoot existence. They show the panel of scientists a bunch of proposed Bigfoot videos/films for their evaluation. But they show them some known and admitted hoaxes. Why? Was that a control to see if they would bite on confirmed hoaxes?
Old 3rd February 2011, 08:45 AM   #383
Drewbot
Philosopher

I tivo-ed it, and will watch it tonight probably. It looks like the same old drivel. Was one William Munns involved in any way?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2011, 08:50 AM   #384
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I don't think so. We would have known about it beforehand.
Old 3rd February 2011, 08:51 AM   #385
Wakeup
Scholar

If that show was the 'Difinitive' answer to Bigfoot, Then obviously Bigfoot doesn't exist!

Is it just me or Does Meldrum look stranger than Before?...I think all these years deceiving the footers with nonsense has taken a toll on his apperance and demeanor.
Wakeup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2011, 09:14 AM   #386
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
Is it just me or Does Meldrum look stranger than Before?
From 2010...

Old 3rd February 2011, 09:51 AM   #387
Wakeup
Scholar

Yep, just look at him. He's the 'Uri Geller' of Bigfoot. He looks like he sells Amish Heaters and Furniture on the weekends, Then preaches Mormonism and Bigfoot to any fool that will listen.
Wakeup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:02 AM   #388
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

He had a divorce in the past year or two. I wonder if the ex is a Bigfoot believer. Can you imagine being the wife of America's Bigfoot Professor?
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:23 AM   #389
Wakeup
Scholar

He had a divorce in the past year or two. I wonder if the ex is a Bigfoot believer. Can you imagine being the wife of America's Bigfoot Professor?

lol, until Meldrum can make Bigfoot socially accepted (or any other myth) he'll just be that guy recognized as Mr. Bigfoot expert. His wife must be something special indeed, I'll bet she changes her name to 'Patty' to support her husbands belief. Which brings me to my next point. Does anyone actually think Meldrum believes in Bigfoot? Surely he knows his hypothesis of Foot evidence is purely made up and every piece of Bigfoot evidence is speculative at best. Is he that stupid? or is he in to Deep at this point?
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:53 AM   #390
GT/CS
Illuminator

If he believes the teachings of Joseph Smith he'll believe just about anything.
Old 3rd February 2011, 01:16 PM   #391
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I would say it was the worst bigfoot special I've seen. My guess is that the believers aren't too happy with it either, but you never know.

Old 3rd February 2011, 01:33 PM   #392
Cleon
King of the Pod People

I watched it. Seemed like a longer version of Monsterquest, with a dollop of extra CGI thrown in.
Old 3rd February 2011, 01:35 PM   #393
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
My guess is that the believers aren't too happy with it either, but you never know.

According to their reviews it's a mixed bag. Some believers don't like it; some do like it.

I watched the 2nd part so far. That Ian Redmond scientist dude is full of Bigfoot belief. He's just another Meldrum. They showed Meldrum's new method of finding Bigfoot - use a tracking dog who has been given the scent from suspected Bigfoot hairs. Never mind what others say about dogs being terrified of Bigfoot.

I figure there are hundreds of thousands of scientists in the world. A small percentage of them will believe in certain things that don't actually exist... like Bigfoot or Yeti. You can round up a little group from this tiny subset and (dishonestly) present them as a cross section of all scientists.

I guess I'll meet the others in the next few parts. Are any of them outwardly skeptical/doubtful of Bigfoot?
Old 3rd February 2011, 02:18 PM   #394
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

OK, the ultimate Meldrum quote (signature worthy) comes in Part 3 at 8:25.

"In my experience, hoaxes have been actually few and far between..."

This man is from some other planet.

Old 3rd February 2011, 02:56 PM   #395
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

So have unicorn hoaxes (been few and far in between). I wonder what his point is?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2011, 04:56 PM   #396
DennyT
Master Poster

One good point made was the explosion of reports after the Patterson film.
Old 3rd February 2011, 07:14 PM   #397
tsig
a carbon based life-form

He's got that thousand footer stare.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2011, 03:36 PM   #398
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I guess one of the panel of five was a Bigfoot skeptic. He briefly said we should have a specimen then they zoom onwards to other talk. Yeah, no kidding we should have had a body or part by now. Meldrum talked about how you won't be getting fossils from the PNW. Too bad it wasn't rebutted with the fact that we can reliably pull Bili Ape skulls out of the African rain forest.

I wonder who chose the panel. I wouldn't be surprised if the producers went directly to Meldrum and asked him to pick 4 others.
Old 4th February 2011, 03:46 PM   #399
GT/CS
Illuminator

Huh, that's strange.
I thought Bill Munns was the new world's greatest bigfoot expert.
Old 4th February 2011, 03:55 PM   #400
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The program has pissed off a bunch of Bigfooters because the panel basically scoffed at Bigfoots being outside the Pacific Northwest. Not specifically but by implication and obvious avoidance.

The producers zoomed in on Florida for having lots of "skunk ape" reports. The young lady with the purple-streaked hair (Dr. Anna Nekaris) proclaimed that she thinks they are escaped or released chimpanzees who have found each other and established breeding populations. That was worth a big laugh.

It is true though that they shoved a big shaft up the ass of Bigfooters outside of the PNW. They showed a big sightings map and you could see like a zillion reports outside of the PNW. The east is saturated with Bigfoot sighting reports.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal