ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , jeffrey meldrum

Old 6th January 2010, 09:46 AM   #81
The Shrike
Illuminator

I've only got one in my collection. It's a baby bigfoot print I cast in my backyard last year. It's one of kind so it's going to go for a pretty penny indeed . . .
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2010, 09:49 AM   #82
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
You see Shrike, a Bigfooter could still say that "we can't get money to study Bigfoot for anywhere other than the PNW and Rockies". Look at the sighting map. Meldrum needs to set up funded projects on the other side of the country.
. . . Or use my explanation to point out that mere chicken feed is going to bigfoot research.

I like to counter with the big and well-funded study of black bears in the Oklahoma Ouachitas - bigfoot central in that part of the world - that analyzed DNA from hairs on barbed wire hair catchers to describe the population expanding into Oklahoma from Arkansas. How that study could've missed bigfoot is beyond me.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2010, 09:52 AM   #83
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Bitter Monk View Post
Cast replicas are the de facto baseball cards super hero comic books of the bigfoot world.
I prefer to think of it this way because baseball players are real.
Old 6th January 2010, 10:23 AM   #84
Bitter Monk
Thinker

I prefer to think of it this way because baseball players are real.
Technically super hero comic books are real too.

ETA - I know that must be true because I saw it on the Simpsons.

ThePonderingPossum.com
Bitter Monk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2010, 10:46 AM   #85
Drewbot
Philosopher

Shrike,

Looking at that sighting map Parcher posted, is there any other native terrestrial mammal that is as widespread as Bigfoot would be, if it existed in those locations?

I'm thinking maybe Raccoon, Opossum...

Not the Black Bear, or Whitetail deer for sure.

Might we have to say that Bigfoot is the most widespread wild mammal in North America?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2010, 11:33 AM   #86
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I'll try to answer and Shrike can correct or add.

Assume that the Mangani BF Map is accurate and that Bigfoot really does occur where people claim to see it...

Bigfoot essentially has the same range[*] as human beings. The closest other mammals are coyote and house mouse.

Raccoon and opossum aren't candidates for same range (this is mostly because of northern Canada and Alaska).

* Do not confuse range with habitat.
Old 6th January 2010, 11:34 AM   #87
Blackdog
Critical Thinker

Mice, rats, squirrels, fox, rabbits, etc...
Blackdog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2010, 11:44 AM   #88
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
Mice, rats, squirrels, fox, rabbits, etc...
It won't work if you ask about single species. The Mangani map puts Bigfoot practically everywhere. For non-human species, I'm betting on the coyote as most widespread across the entirety of North America..
Old 6th January 2010, 11:51 AM   #89
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Coyote range map. Wile E. Coyote is everywhere.
Attached Images
File Type: png Coyote_3745_v1224016663.png (18.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 6th January 2010, 12:02 PM   #90
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Red fox may be a candidate, but I'm finding some major discrepancies in range maps.

Anyway, I did create a Bigfoot population and distribution thread if we want to go there. This thread ought to be about Meldrum.
Old 6th January 2010, 12:16 PM   #91
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Shrike,
Looking at that sighting map Parcher posted, is there any other native terrestrial mammal that is as widespread as Bigfoot would be, if it existed in those locations?
It's actually more difficult to say than it appears at first. There is a fairly healthy list of native North American mammals that occur (or occurred before we hunted them out of certain regions) across the continent. A few of these (e.g., beaver and river otter) really do have a broad scale range that includes the Southeast U.S. all the way up and across the boreal forests of Canada into Alaska. So it would be tough to say that bigfoot has the widest range of any NA mammal.

Then there are those species that really are widely distributed but might be absent from one region of the bigfoot range map. For example, raccoons don't range as far north as bigfoots allegedly do, but raccoons are also common through the Great Plains where bigfoot records are scanty. So you run into some apples and oranges things.

But, the more damning thing is to consider the reputed range of bigfoot creatures globally. Is there any other terrestrial mammal that approximates such a range without technology (i.e. boats) to disperse and colonize new areas? How can there be bigfoots in NA, SA, Eurasia, Australia, and Africa? If we're talking ONE species, there is nothing else like this. If we consider multiple species - "families" - then there might be a couple of examples. But even that would take some digging. Canids (dogs) would work, but they are not native to Australia. Ditto cats. Cervids (deer) are widespread, but absent from Africa and Australia. . .

North American mammals with continental ranges:

deer mouse
beaver
muskrat
white-tailed deer
bobcat
mountain lion
red fox
gray wolf
coyote
striped skunk
river otter
mink
longtail weasel
raccoon
black bear
hoary bat
big brown bat
silver-haired bat
little brown myotis
Old 9th January 2010, 03:04 AM   #92
xblade
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
. . . Or use my explanation to point out that mere chicken feed is going to bigfoot research.

I like to counter with the big and well-funded study of black bears in the Oklahoma Ouachitas - bigfoot central in that part of the world - that analyzed DNA from hairs on barbed wire hair catchers to describe the population expanding into Oklahoma from Arkansas. How that study could've missed bigfoot is beyond me.
That's easy. These people are too focused on bear to see bigfoot. Only those who are actually searching for evidence of bigfoot can fabrica...er....FIND it.
xblade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2010, 04:53 AM   #93
Maldon
Thinker

Quote:
Only those who are actually searching for evidence of bigfoot can fabrica...er....FIND it.
And fint it they do!

http://www.searchingforbigfoot.com/P...igfoot_History
Old 9th January 2010, 07:32 AM   #94
GT/CS
Illuminator

Latest Meldrum media exposure. There is a classic WTF moment at the end!

http://www.comcast.net/video/bigfoot...st/1380509550/
Old 9th January 2010, 08:05 AM   #95
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Near the end he's shown making impressions with a large fake foot in some raked sand. The result appears like an obvious "stamping". But his fake foot is a flat featureless cut-out. Other hoaxers such as Wallace spent time and effort carving their fake feet to have contoured features.

He also mentions that the results from a flat fake foot (as he has used) "wouldn't fool anyone". Meldrum doesn't understand the willingness of some Bigfooters to accept virtually anything that is promoted. Besides that, it's easy to predict that folks would naturally choose to cast the "best" tracks in any given trackway. Tracks that look "fakey" or incomplete would not have plaster poured into them.

The believer assists the hoaxer by only casting and then presenting the most realistic of all the tracks created by fake feet in a hoaxed Bigfoot trackway.
Old 9th January 2010, 04:46 PM   #96
WGBH
Graduate Poster

Question. Who voted Dr. Meldrum "the world's leading expert on Bigfoot?" How can you be an expert about something you have never seen? Lunacy...
Old 9th January 2010, 04:58 PM   #97
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

We know that an obvious flat fake foot fooled John Green though...a very obvious one. Meldrum must know this as well.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2010, 02:15 PM   #98
Drewbot
Philosopher

The believer assists the hoaxer by only casting and then presenting the most realistic of all the tracks created by fake feet in a hoaxed Bigfoot trackway.
Beautiful commentary. They are going to cast 4 tracks or whatever, and the most Bigfoot looking one is going to be broadcast. They aren't going to show anyone the cast that has the plywood imprint in the arch. Especially if it will undermine the 'good' cast's authenticity amongst the Bigfooters.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2010, 02:31 PM   #99
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

Cherry picking and confirmation bias at its finest.

Meldrum is also neglecting that hoaxers can be spectacularly creative individuals. This is is argument from ignorance and incredulity. What self-respecting BF hoaxer would use a flat, featureless cut-out foot? Wallace was using better-crafted stamps 50-odd years ago.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2010, 04:18 PM   #100
Bitter Monk
Thinker

Wallace deserves credit for his wood working skills. The big green foot I made was molded from clay initially, but it just goes to show there are a lot of ways to skin a cast.

Creating the big green foot.

ThePonderingPossum.com
Bitter Monk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2010, 05:50 PM   #101
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/hoaxes/mass2.htm

Apparently, 27 inch plywood feet are good enough...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2010, 07:13 AM   #102
Drewbot
Philosopher

Just got through watching SIERRA SASQUATCH- MONSTERQUEST.

These locals 'investigators' are finding all these human sized, human-like, barefoot prints, and they bring Meldrum in to analyze them, and he says, that they could be juvenile sasquatch whose feet haven't morphed into the adult sasquatch foot-characteristics.
Old 23rd March 2010, 07:37 AM   #103
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Just got through watching SIERRA SASQUATCH- MONSTERQUEST.

These locals 'investigators' are finding all these human sized, human-like, barefoot prints, and they bring Meldrum in to analyze them, and he says, that they could be juvenile sasquatch whose feet haven't morphed into the adult sasquatch foot-characteristics.
I saw that also. The Bigfoot creduloid had catalogued and collected casts of 6", 8" and 11" footprints. He said the ones couldn't possibly have been human because they were barefoot and it was cool outside. Does Jeff Meldrun never get embarrassed by any of these peoples' actions?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2010, 08:07 AM   #104
WGBH
Graduate Poster

It was great when Mionczynski (sp?) says " These prints look like human prints to me" .
Old 24th March 2010, 11:39 AM   #105
Spektator
Dog Who Laughs

I don't think I've gotten over Fess Parker's death yet--

Bored on my couch watchin' my TV,
Tuned in MonsterQuest, who did I see?
The bigfoot professor for you an' me,
Found him a print, then found another three—

Jeffrey, Jeffrey Meldrum,
Keeps on footin' along.

Tracks he found, they seemed kinda small,
But he says they're bigfoot, one an' all,
Though they look human, he stands up tall,
Says "They're young'un's, boys, that's my call!"

Keeps on footin' along.

Out in the woods he's marchin' today,
Searchin' for tracks an' DNA,
Maybe some scat will come his way,
An' show Squatch is jest as real as he say—

Keeps on footin' along.
Old 24th March 2010, 03:56 PM   #106
Bitter Monk
Thinker

Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
He said the ones couldn't possibly have been human because they were barefoot and it was cool outside.
Good lord. A couple of years ago a friend sent me photos of some tracks they had found in Georgia. It was the classic off the beaten path, middle of January, "nobody would walk barefoot through that stuff in the cold" prints. We all agreed however that they were 100% human.

Hippies and hillbillies. The bane of Bigfootery apparently.

ThePonderingPossum.com
Old 13th April 2010, 11:55 AM   #107
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

If anyone gets a chance, I'd be interested in Meldrum's opinion on the falsifiability of Bigfoot in relation to his position. He obviously believes that Bigfoot does exist. But how would he ever know/learn that Bigfoot does not exist? Could there ever possibly be something or a combination of somethings which would cause Meldrum to no longer believe? What might such a thing(s) be?

Is it too late for that now? Is he forever locked into belief even if Bigfoot really doesn't exist? I'm curious what he would say about this topic.
Old 13th April 2010, 12:26 PM   #108
JcR
Banned

Meldrum had a close encounter do he not? With a walking hairy biped outside his tent.
I can't remember where I had seen that.
JcR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2010, 12:52 PM   #109
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Yes, he had an encounter of sorts but never saw the subject. He heard it outside of his tent and then found what he thought were big footprints. This was long ago, maybe in his teens or twenties?

Is it that anyone with such an experience can never ever switch to non-belief? Has anyone ever first said "I saw a Bigfoot" or "I was in the presence of a Bigfoot" and then later (for whatever reasons) came to say "I don't think that Bigfoot exists" or "Bigfoot doesn't exist"?
Old 13th April 2010, 01:13 PM   #110
desertyeti
Muse

Quote:
This was long ago, maybe in his teens or twenties?
Sadly, it was when he was an adult, postgraduate, in his 30's or 40's, in the '90s some time. He went out with "cryptozoologist" Richard Greenwell on a camping trip with Greenwell's son. Rocks were thrown, "footsteps" were heard...the usual boogerman stuff. Of course, this is all "compelling" apparently...well...to him at least...

They only poo in other dimensions!
desertyeti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2010, 02:22 PM   #111
DennyT
Master Poster

usually we start with the data

Originally Posted by makaya325 View Post
Can any of you even try to debunk the gaussian curve based of footprints?
Gee, you know, I think I can.
can you tell me sources of the data? how many toes each foot had? how many had the split ball? how many had narrow heels? how many others had differences? all collected by one person? or how many were "collected" by Freeman? Marx? Patterson? Titmus? on Bluff Creek? Blue Mountain? How many closely resemble one of the many Wallace "stompers". What were the criteria for inclusion? what data was excluded? Why? Were more than one print used from each trackway? how much publicity has there been in this country about the size of Bigfeet? What were the size of the Patterson footprints? have faked footprints ever been identified? have these footprints fooled Bigfoot experts?

Those would be just be the first questions asked if this data was ever presented to actual scientists. You can't answer them. And if you could answer them, the answers would invoke snickers and rolling eyes, poking elbows, etc.

Debunked? What debunked means to you is "Will my prophets (Meldrum, Moneymaker, Munns, and Gimlin) admit it's wrong?" or "will it no longer appear on MonsterQuest?"

If you by chance mean "would it be rejected by scientists for reasons of tomfoolery," then absolutely it would be ripped to shreds just by the data issues alone, and it would never get any further. You need a dose of reality. That curve is a joke. It is so far from being scientifically meaningful that it needs it own zip code.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2010, 02:30 PM   #112
DennyT
Master Poster

Yes, he had an encounter of sorts but never saw the subject. He heard it outside of his tent and then found what he thought were big footprints. This was long ago, maybe in his teens or twenties?

Is it that anyone with such an experience can never ever switch to non-belief? Has anyone ever first said "I saw a Bigfoot" or "I was in the presence of a Bigfoot" and then later (for whatever reasons) came to say "I don't think that Bigfoot exists" or "Bigfoot doesn't exist"?
The phenomenon is known as a "religious experience." The younger, the more "meaningful." Moneymaker and his ilk try to create these experiences on their "expeditions." "Hear that? must be a Bigfoot." etc. Cults are pretty much all the same.

People who camped as kids generally know all the tricks that can be played on campers. I guess not enough kids went through that.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2010, 02:40 PM   #113
DennyT
Master Poster

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
I'd bet all my Bert's Bigfoot Suit Rental™ late charges and my 420 Bazooka Joe™ comics that Dr. Meldrum just wishes Bigfoot and anything and everything to do with 'it' would just go the **** away.
Disagree; Meldrum makes a lot of money off Bigfoot, probably more than anyone else in the world aside from Mrs. Patterson, the Dahindens, and Matt M. And he will continue to for years into the future. I will bet you my Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science DVD overdue charges and my MonsterQuest propeller beanie he will write another book featuring Sasquatch.
Old 13th April 2010, 02:55 PM   #114
DennyT
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bitter Monk View Post
Wallace deserves credit for his wood working skills. The big green foot I made was molded from clay initially, but it just goes to show there are a lot of ways to skin a cast.

Creating the big green foot.
nice cat.
Old 13th April 2010, 02:57 PM   #115
DennyT
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JcR View Post
Meldrum had a close encounter do he not? With a walking hairy biped outside his tent.
I can't remember where I had seen that.
He also cites a rock throwing episode. He's a Bigfoot magnet.
Old 13th April 2010, 03:00 PM   #116
DennyT
Master Poster

Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
I saw that also. The Bigfoot creduloid had catalogued and collected casts of 6", 8" and 11" footprints. He said the ones couldn't possibly have been human because they were barefoot and it was cool outside. Does Jeff Meldrun never get embarrassed by any of these peoples' actions?
If that tracker hadn't been there, Meldrum would have proclaimed that Bigfoot can operate boats.
Old 13th April 2010, 03:05 PM   #117
DennyT
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Chains View Post
That guy is an idiot. Read his posts, all he does is complain and take potshots at Bigfoot researchers.
pot/kettle
Old 13th April 2010, 03:12 PM   #118
DennyT
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Kilaak Kommander View Post
Yes, but it didn't turn up any surprises. All of the documents were filed by René Dahinden. The file copy of the film is a real beauty with rich, vivid color. It was in a generic container with no markings on the film itself. What stood out most was that I'm used to seeing the PGF heavily cropped. Patty is just a tiny, blurry thing in the full frame.
wow, get a microscope on that puppy!!! I'd love to know where the splices are.
Old 13th April 2010, 03:18 PM   #119
RayG
Master Poster

Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
Gee, you know, I think I can.
can you tell me sources of the data? how many toes each foot had? how many had the split ball? how many had narrow heels? how many others had differences? all collected by one person? or how many were "collected" by Freeman? Marx? Patterson? Titmus? on Bluff Creek? Blue Mountain? How many closely resemble one of the many Wallace "stompers". What were the criteria for inclusion? what data was excluded? Why? Were more than one print used from each trackway? how much publicity has there been in this country about the size of Bigfeet? What were the size of the Patterson footprints? have faked footprints ever been identified? have these footprints fooled Bigfoot experts?
I wandered down the Fahrenbach bell curve path awhile ago myself over on the BFF. I asked how he determined which were real tracks, and which were fake, and what original data he used.

The 57 track sizes I plotted (as reported in John Green's The Sasquatch File) produced a bar/line graph that looks like this:

Not quite the symmetrical bell curve that some so fiercely defend.

Quote:
Those would be just be the first questions asked if this data was ever presented to actual scientists.
They would need the original data he used for analysis purposes too. Kind of hard to replicate his findings if he doesn't provide a source for his numbers.

RayG
RayG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2010, 05:13 AM   #120
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RayG View Post
I wandered down the Fahrenbach bell curve path awhile ago myself over on the BFF. I asked how he determined which were real tracks, and which were fake, and what original data he used.
I seem to remember this discussion, Of course I have to log-in to BFF as one of my 27 Socks in order to revisit the discussion, so I'll have to go by memory.

I believe my main point was that there was no criteria to say how they determined whether to 'keep' or 'discard' a footprint in the data set.

Were they throwing out small footprints because they 'must be human', thus making the curve shift to the right?

What if it was just a 17" long depression in the ground, how did they determine that they should include that in the data set?

etc...

PS: Speaking of my 27 socks at BFF, I would like anyone who has the ability to search old posts, to click on JimF's old posts from 2004 or so. Dude was finding BIGFOOT left and right.

Last edited by Drewbot; 14th April 2010 at 05:14 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal