ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , jeffrey meldrum

Old 17th June 2010, 11:12 AM   #281
WGBH
Graduate Poster

You suspect wrong. Stick to Hunting rocks...
Old 19th June 2010, 01:22 PM   #282
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Of course. Hunting things which are not real would be utterly silly.
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2010, 02:41 PM   #283
WGBH
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Correa Neto View Post
Yes, hunting things that are not real would be silly.
Old 19th June 2010, 06:40 PM   #284
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

What if you have a net gun?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2010, 05:24 PM   #285
DennyT
Master Poster

true believer speaks

“The Sasquatch has chosen a path that’s more pristine and pure.”

— Jeffery Meldrum, [Oregon] Symposium participant
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2010, 08:17 PM   #286
WGBH
Graduate Poster

...."and it walks that path with a mid-tarsal break". Want to buy one of my $50 genuine Bigfoot cast copies, that were cast by someone else and I am profiting from?

— Jeffery Meldrum, [Oregon] Symposium participant
Old 10th July 2010, 09:14 PM   #287
DennyT
Master Poster

Given your claimed sighting, your avatar and what you wrote about Medrum and his ideas on bigfoot foot anatomy, I suspect you are waiting for a bigfoot specimen. Since footers have been waiting for "proof" for quite a while, its understandable that people will get bored and sleepy.

But do not despair! Some people have been waiting for Jesus to return for much longer!
Giants are mentioned in the Bible, you know.
Any mention of any large, wild, or hairy man in history is automatically bigfoot.
Therefore, Bigfoot is in the Bible
The Bible is infallible and literally true.
therefore Bigfoot exists.
QED
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2010, 08:52 PM   #288
Volsquatch
Scholar

Originally Posted by WGBH View Post
Yes, hunting things that are not real would be silly.
Wow, I'm proud of you, John.
Volsquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2010, 05:25 AM   #289
WGBH
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Volsquatch View Post
Wow, I'm proud of you, John.
ew
Old 12th July 2010, 05:35 AM   #290
Drewbot
Philosopher

ew
He was only complimenting you on your straightforward comment.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2010, 06:29 AM   #291
Volsquatch
Scholar

Drew is correct, John. I was merely commenting favorably upon the confidence you were showing with those straightforward comments.

I know it must seem odd to see a positive comment coming from me(given our past history on this forum), but I was being sincere. It seems that I'm not the only one who's noticed your gradual shift toward a much more objective and unbiased outlook.
Volsquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2010, 09:47 AM   #292
Volsquatch
Scholar

Scratch that last reply. Seems I was wrong.
Old 16th July 2010, 10:21 AM   #293
WGBH
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Volsquatch View Post
Drew is correct, John. I was merely commenting favorably upon the confidence you were showing with those straightforward comments.

I know it must seem odd to see a positive comment coming from me(given our past history on this forum), but I was being sincere. It seems that I'm not the only one who's noticed your gradual shift toward a much more objective and unbiased outlook.
Shift? When have I ever endorsed any of this limp so called evidence in regards to Bigfoot? MTB theory,crap. Skookum cast, elk lay. Memorial day footage, guy playing paintball. Anything by Paul freeman, hoax. Autumn"s book, just another tale. Next?

He said Hunting things that are not real is silly. I know they are real, so what I do is not silly to me. I could care less what he thinks about how I spend my time.
Old 16th July 2010, 10:35 AM   #294
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Well, I don't think bigfoot exists, but I really have no problem with people looking for them or signs of them. I'd probably enjoy a bigfoot expedition as long as I didn't have to pay for the priviledge.

Looking for them and not finding them may be what makes up someone's mind.

I have no problem with the phrase "hunting for bigfoot". I'd go hunting for bigfoot with a believer. I don't think I'd call it silly.

Pointless maybe, but a pointless trek through some nice wilderness sounds like a great idea to me.

In fact, I'd love to come across a "bigfoot" track.

Now, as for someone like Meldrum professionally supporting bigfoot? I think that would indeed be silly and should call into question his professionalism.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2010, 03:55 PM   #295
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

...I know they are real, so what I do is not silly to me...
Repeat after me JC, there is no Bigfoot. Then spit.

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Well, I don't think bigfoot exists, but I really have no problem with people looking for them or signs of them. I'd probably enjoy a bigfoot expedition as long as I didn't have to pay for the priviledge.

Looking for them and not finding them may be what makes up someone's mind.

I have no problem with the phrase "hunting for bigfoot". I'd go hunting for bigfoot with a believer. I don't think I'd call it silly.

Pointless maybe, but a pointless trek through some nice wilderness sounds like a great idea to me.

In fact, I'd love to come across a "bigfoot" track.

Now, as for someone like Meldrum professionally supporting bigfoot? I think that would indeed be silly and should call into question his professionalism.
Two thumbs up! What a straight shooting righteous post LTC8K6. There's no inflammatory verbiage, even towards Meldrum, yet your true disbelief shines through. I can only ever hope to be able to post such unoffending and acceptable responses.

Last edited by HarryHenderson; 16th July 2010 at 04:00 PM.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2010, 09:37 PM   #296
WGBH
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
Repeat after me JC, there is no Bigfoot. Then spit.
Old 19th July 2010, 07:10 AM   #297
Drewbot
Philosopher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SClOrtpu3ao

3:17 Meldrum explains that the Memorial day Footage has a female sasquatch holding a baby on it's back...
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2010, 04:55 PM   #298
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SClOrtpu3ao

3:17 Meldrum explains that the Memorial day Footage has a female sasquatch holding a baby on it's back...
How sad.
Old 19th July 2010, 09:00 PM   #299
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Maybe Meldrum actually is some operative from an über secret 'lizard people' organization whose mission is to try and discredit the entire nature of science so they can...steal all the argon and take over the world? Or does he just play one on TV?
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2010, 04:38 AM   #300
WGBH
Graduate Poster

Maybe Meldrum actually is some operative from an über secret 'lizard people' organization whose mission is to try and discredit the entire nature of science so they can...steal all the argon and take over the world? Or does he just play one on TV?
Now that you mention it, I did see a few scales when he was speaking at the Ohio conference. I could have just been dreaming because his 2 hour talk about Chinese Monkey feet was a snooze. I think a few of the more senoir Bigfooters even went into "the light".
Old 20th July 2010, 02:16 PM   #301
DennyT
Master Poster

best post of the week. possibly of the month.
Old 6th October 2010, 05:51 PM   #302
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

New article about Dr. Meldrum in his university's magazine, The Bengal. Unfortunately, they spell his first name incorrectly.

He's possibly been given over $100K in grants and donations to find and study Bigfoot. No results. Now he has left North America behind and is looking in China. Back here he will move on to using dogs to find Bigfoot. Apparently, using a large fleet of trail cameras has been fruitless.

In search of Bigfoot

Quote:
(Dr. Jeffrey) Meldrum said he started researching Sasquatch 14 years ago when he found a fresh footprint in southeastern Washington. "That was what set the hook as far as embarking on a more systematic and focused consideration of the question from a research perspective."

He said one of his more interesting travels was for a documentary for the History Channel to the Hubei province in China. He said China has legends of a creature called the Yerin, which translates into "wild man" and has a similar description to Sasquatch. He said they met with a park ranger who claimed to have seen a Yerin.

Meldrum said, "One of the objectives of the trip was to examine these (Chinese) casts." He said the ranger opened up a suitcase and unwrapped the casts. "I was stunned," Meldrum stated, "because these footprints were virtually identical to the examples I have here in my laboratory." Meldrum also said the park ranger had no frame of reference as to what these footprints would look like making a hoax unlikely.

Meldrum said he is submitting an abstract to the American Association of Physical Anthropology meeting in the Spring about the trip.

As far as research here in the U.S., Meldrum said they are working on training search and recovery dogs to track Sasquatch. He said one of the biggest criticisms of Sasquatch is there is no body, and the only way to get a body would be to track one down and kill it or for someone to stumble upon a body. "Given their intelligence, this is probably going to be a very unlikely scenario," Meldrum said.

He said they had one of these (tracking) dogs check what was suspected being Sasquatch feces, based on circumstantial evidence. Meldrum said, "They get wind of this feces which would either be from bear or Sasquatch, because it was filled with black ants, and the dogs had a fear response to it. "This is a very unusual response because those same dogs would walk by bear feces with no response." "This enthused one of the handlers, and she has agreed to train a dog to great ape hair and tissue with the presumption that Sasquatch falls close to the variation of gorillas, chimps and apes," Meldrum continued.

"Once we have a dog that is at hand, if fresh footprints are found within about 12 hours, we can take the dogs to the site and imprint them with the scent, presuming the tracks are authentic."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2729197658.jpg (36.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 6th October 2010, 06:22 PM   #303
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

He's in very deep...

Old 6th October 2010, 07:32 PM   #304
GT/CS
Illuminator

And he's going to soon be an embarrassment to his employer and to himself, if he isn't already.
Old 6th October 2010, 07:39 PM   #305
RayG
Master Poster

Is that supposed to be a representation of Patty he's standing in front of? If so, how come she's so freaking tall?

RayG
RayG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2010, 08:10 PM   #306
DennyT
Master Poster

why do you say that, GT? I mean, this has gone on for a long time. Does he have a pathological foot fetish? ha ha.
Old 6th October 2010, 08:15 PM   #307
DennyT
Master Poster

Quote:
"One of the objectives of the trip was to examine these (Chinese) casts." He said the ranger opened up a suitcase and unwrapped the casts. "I was stunned," Meldrum stated, "because these footprints were virtually identical to the examples I have here in my laboratory." Meldrum also said the park ranger had no frame of reference as to what these footprints would look like making a hoax unlikely.
We're lucky those Chinese don't have books, television or the internet, or they would easily be able to hoax bigfoot tracks. Mostly the Chinese just hang out doing karate, telling Marco Polo stories, and hitting big gongs.

Last edited by DennyT; 6th October 2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 6th October 2010, 08:20 PM   #308
DennyT
Master Poster

Originally Posted by RayG View Post
Is that supposed to be a representation of Patty he's standing in front of? If so, how come she's so freaking tall?

RayG
Meldrum is on his knees.
Old 7th October 2010, 05:09 AM   #309
Drewbot
Philosopher

Of course Chinese Bigfoot prints look identical to North American Bigfoot tracks.

Those Shipton prints are too hard for a hoaxer to duplicate.

I'm sure the Chinese bigfoot footprint, looks as goofy and unnatural as the North American Bigfoot footprint.

The beauty of the free market, You crazy Americans have a BIGFOOT professor? WTF?
Old 7th October 2010, 06:47 AM   #310
The Shrike
Illuminator

"Meldrum also said the park ranger had no frame of reference as to what these footprints would look like making a hoax unlikely."

The Chinese, having never seen a human foot, would have no idea what a big human foot would look like.

He really is out to lunch.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2010, 08:04 AM   #311
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

He appears to be easily stunned.

"I was stunned," Meldrum stated....

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2010, 09:32 AM   #312
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Quote:
...the only way to get a body would be to track one down and kill it or for someone to stumble upon a body."Given their intelligence, this is probably going to be a very unlikely scenario,"
Right Jeff, hard to recover the body of a mythical beast ..

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2010, 03:14 PM   #313
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Quote:
Meldrum said his collection currently has over 200 footprint casts and they are working with the Idaho Virtualization Laboratory to create 3D models so other researchers will have access to them.

Two hundred casts is a lot of Bigfoot footprints. Dr. Meldrum, how many or what percentage of them would you say are fakes?
Old 7th October 2010, 03:29 PM   #314
Drewbot
Philosopher

Meldrum has no desire to confront the poss. of hoaxing. He simply has to degrade the park ranger to solve that problem.
Old 7th October 2010, 03:40 PM   #315
clayflingythingy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Two hundred casts is a lot of Bigfoot footprints. Dr. Meldrum, how many or what percentage of them would you say are fakes?
IIRC, Saint Grover, in Big Footprints, stated he had a secret method, known only to him, to spot fake casts.

Perhaps he passed that knowledge on to Meldrum.
clayflingythingy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2010, 06:29 PM   #316
ForestNinja
New Blood

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Just the ones he sells.

Last edited by ForestNinja; 7th October 2010 at 06:30 PM.
ForestNinja is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2010, 03:56 AM   #317
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Originally Posted by http://www.isubengal.com/life/in-search-of-bigfoot-1.1667290
He said one of the biggest criticisms of Sasquatch is there is no body, and the only way to get a body would be to track one down and kill it or for someone to stumble upon a body. "Given their intelligence, this is probably going to be a very unlikely scenario," Meldrum said.
OK, that was as silly as many other bigfootery excuses.

If Meldrum's speculation is correct, then humans must be dumber than bigfoots, since neither finding human corpses and tracking and killing humans can actually be considered unusual events. Bigfoots must have been hiding their corpses and avoiding being killed by humans with 100% success rate for millenia. So, here we have a species of über-intelligent über-stealthy boss-of-the-woods. It's an RPG-type of concept; its not science.

The excuses for the absence of reliable evidence brings even the most "flesh-n'-bones" allegedly scientific-minded footers close to the "paranormal" or "extra-fringe" footers.

Originally Posted by http://www.isubengal.com/life/in-search-of-bigfoot-1.1667290
Meldrum said, "I'm not just about collecting footprints; we're also approaching this as a question of wildlife biology. What is this creature's role in the biological community?"
I think the carriage is ahead the the horses.

First, demonstrate it exists. Then figure out its ecologic niche.

Ever heard of Hall's corolary?
Before we do research on something, we should make sure it exists"

ETA: Yes, I am not sure on how "dumbed down" for the general public are his statements, neither on how his original statements were edited. Given the source, however (university media) I would not expect this to be a big issue.
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…

Last edited by Correa Neto; 8th October 2010 at 03:58 AM.
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2010, 06:40 AM   #318
GT/CS
Illuminator

OK, that was as silly as many other bigfootery excuses.

If Meldrum's speculation is correct, then humans must be dumber than bigfoots, since neither finding human corpses and tracking and killing humans can actually be considered unusual events. Bigfoots must have been hiding their corpses and avoiding being killed by humans with 100% success rate for millenia. So, here we have a species of über-intelligent über-stealthy boss-of-the-woods.
<Snip>
And yet P&G filmed one taking an afternoon stroll next to a logging road.
Old 8th October 2010, 07:21 AM   #319
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
And yet P&G filmed one taking an afternoon stroll next to a logging road.
Forget PGF. Most sightings are of Bigfoot peering in Trailer windows, invading picnic area at campgrounds, strolling across open mountain sides, crossing semi-rural driveways, or walking alongside someone hiking on a trail. It's not like you have to be 2.4 miles from a road to see a bigfoot. They are amongst us.
Old 8th October 2010, 08:19 AM   #320
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

ETA: Yes, I am not sure on how "dumbed down" for the general public are his statements, neither on how his original statements were edited. Given the source, however (university media) I would not expect this to be a big issue.

A big issue? LOL! The Bengal spelled his name wrong and it still hasn't been corrected after 2 days in print.

You've got Meldrum saying Bigfoots are out there and you've got a university magazine writer/editor who spells his first name "Jeffery". There must be something in the water at ISU.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal