ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 29th September 2016, 01:55 AM   #121
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 19,138
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
Evidence. <snippage of out-of-context and irrelevant nonsense>
So no evidence then.
Pathetic.

Also try and spell "Guinness" correctly, your continual failures don't exactly contribute positively to the impression you make.

Originally Posted by esspee View Post
Are you saying that he probably never flew an experimental aircraft without proper permissions in a public place?
Strawman.

Originally Posted by esspee View Post
If he did fly that thing as shown on the video footage without approval, FAA would have nailed his balls to the wall and extracted a rather large fine. Not to mention likely seizing the 'aircraft', all of his equipment, all footage and computers and doing a full investigation.
Please cite the laws you believe were broken.

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
And for someone who claims to be involved in the aviation industry, I would have thought that would be a fatal flaw... unless of course his "involvement" amounted to being a baggage handler or serving coffee & buns at the cafeteria in his local airport
Indeed.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2016, 07:51 AM   #122
esspee
black goo
 
esspee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,098
@ CATSMATE

You asked for evidence for the following claims.

Originally Posted by esspee View Post
it has become a MARKETING company. SPecialising in viral marketing and raising brand awareness via 'Records'.


ie - they don't make thee bulk of there money from books anymore.
There buisiness is this - say you are a company making chocolate - you phone them up, they design a marketing campaign around a record. Like biggest chocolate bar - or most chocolate bars stacked on top of each other etc etc etc. And they can tie it all in with other brands for sponsorship.
ANd you have to pay not only for the marketing team, but also for use of there logo, and for the replacement McWurter to turn up and hand you a certficate. Its all very expensive stuff.[/b]

I provided several links to their own website where they offer these services.
And to two promotional videos clearly showing that this is their main business these days.
Also on that website at the links you can see that you have to pay to use their logo and pay to have a live 'Adjudicator' on site.


Your reply was simply .


"So no evidence then.
Pathetic."




For any of you reading this who are unsure about how Guiness World Records makes money these days - please watch this short promo video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cTuknr1jMo

Last edited by esspee; 29th September 2016 at 08:03 AM.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2016, 09:49 PM   #123
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,365
This thread is now a prime candidate for the CT section.
__________________
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
----------------------------------------------
Proud woo denier
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 03:25 AM   #124
steenkh
Philosopher
 
steenkh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denmark
Posts: 5,129
Has been so, for a long time.
__________________
Steen

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 03:52 AM   #125
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 19,138
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
@ CATSMATE
You asked for evidence for the following claims.
You made accusations that Guinness World Record deliberately and knowingly colluded in creating a faked product. You have failed to support this.
This accusation would, if true, seriously damage the brand image of the primary international authority on the cataloguing and verification of world records for very little gain.

Originally Posted by esspee View Post
I provided several links to their own website where they offer these services.
And no support for your claim that they'd be willing to collude in a fake.


Originally Posted by esspee View Post
And to two promotional videos clearly showing that this is their main business these days.
Another claim that's not supported by the facts.

Originally Posted by esspee View Post
Also on that website at the links you can see that you have to pay to use their logo and pay to have a live 'Adjudicator' on site.
So?

Originally Posted by esspee View Post
Your reply was simply .
"So no evidence then.
Pathetic."
Yes it was. And it stands. You've made various slanderous accusations and failed to support them.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 03:53 AM   #126
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 19,138
Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
This thread is now a prime candidate for the CT section.
Yep, I'll request a move.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 04:01 AM   #127
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 15,966
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Well, I have gone back and looked at some of the earlier Flyboard Air videos too, and compared them with the more recent ones. What I have noticed is that Franky has become more confident in flying the thing.... more spins, flatter AoA leading to higher forward speed, more accurate flying and steeper, faster turns.

This is exactly the sort of progression you would expect to see as a pilot becomes accustomed to flying a new machine and learning, by practical experience, what the limits of its flight envelope are.


There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is a real flying machine; none whatsoever. Its performance appears to match very closely what we know about how it works, and there have literally been tens of thousands of eye-witnesses. Not one single eye-witness has come forward and said they were there and it was a drone or he was slung below a helicopter.
The highlighted part had also struck me - I was about to post something mentioning that, but instead, I'll just quote you...

Also it is worth pointing out that I haven't seen any "high G manoeuvres" and nor do I expect to.

Originally Posted by esspee View Post

We go from that, to no hose, and four miniature jets, and 5 minutes flights pulling high G's etc.
*My* aviation experience is pretty much limited to having been in the CCF as a teenager, but that is sufficient to know what high-G is, and also that even 2-g feels pretty odd.
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 04:16 AM   #128
esspee
black goo
 
esspee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,098
The jetpack guy is in monaco. Just saw a few videos of his on youtube. All released today.

Why Monaco you might ask?

I'll tell you one possible explanation. A collab video is planned containing himself and Franky 'flying' around at the same time.


I said this might happen months ago, a video of these two flying around, because i also think that his machine is a fake too. (as is Alex Durus machine)

Hopefully i said it on this thread and not youtube - so that i can get 'kudos' from my doubters by making this prediction months ago.

To be honest, i thought this was going to be in the USA while Franky was over there, but looks like Monaco is better location to do a shoot.

Last edited by esspee; 1st October 2016 at 04:32 AM.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 04:18 AM   #129
esspee
black goo
 
esspee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,098
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Yep, I'll request a move.
Why is everyone obsessed with moving this thread?

It won't go away just because you move it.

Nor will the nagging itch that I might be right.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 04:59 AM   #130
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 6,685
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
Why is everyone obsessed with moving this thread?

It won't go away just because you move it.

Nor will the nagging itch that I might be right.
This thread is no longer about science and technology.

1. You have steadfastly refused to accept clear, obvious and conclusive evidence that Zapata Racing's Flyboard Air is not a hoax, but is in fact a real flying machine

2. You have steadfastly refused to accept clear, and concise explanations as to how this machine works

3. You have repeatedly posted claims which are demonstrably false, untrue or have been thoroughly debunked

4. Your claim that this is a hoax has completely failed, it has been debunked multiple times by multiple posters, many of whom quite obviously know a lot more about engineering and aviation than you.

Such repeated unwillingness to to accept overwhelming and conclusive evidence that debunks your claim is a key hallmark of the Conspiracy Theorist - you are no better that Moon Hoax believers and 911 Truthers.

This thread should be moved to the CT forum where it belongs
__________________
► 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists; 12 Apollo astronauts really did walk on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald,who acted alone.
► Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed. - Jay Utah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 05:36 AM   #131
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 18,139
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
Why is everyone obsessed with moving this thread?

It won't go away just because you move it.

Nor will the nagging itch that I might be right.
I sense narcissism. Is that common among conspiracy theorists?
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 05:56 AM   #132
esspee
black goo
 
esspee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,098
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I sense narcissism. Is that common among conspiracy theorists?
You need a strong confidence in the legitimacy of your opinion to be able to stand against the current.

So maybe.

I would certainly say I have a wee bit of a narcissistic streak. But only in a good way.
But I can not talk for 'conspiracy theorists' because i am not one and IMO no such thing exists.

And this thread is not a conspiracy thread.

If it gets moved, when this hoax is busted ( very likely in a few weeks IMO) those involved in lobbying to hide this thread away are going to look very silly.

But if its proven real - then i guess they will appear wise.

Its a gamble

Last edited by esspee; 1st October 2016 at 06:01 AM.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 06:08 AM   #133
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 18,139
Moving the thread doesn't hide it at all. Suggesting that it does reveals more narcissism.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 06:34 AM   #134
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 19,138
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
Why is everyone obsessed with moving this thread?
Because this forum has a place for silly conspiracy theories.

And...
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
This thread is no longer about science and technology.
Specifically...
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
1. You have steadfastly refused to accept clear, obvious and conclusive evidence that Zapata Racing's Flyboard Air is not a hoax, but is in fact a real flying machine

2. You have steadfastly refused to accept clear, and concise explanations as to how this machine works

3. You have repeatedly posted claims which are demonstrably false, untrue or have been thoroughly debunked

4. Your claim that this is a hoax has completely failed, it has been debunked multiple times by multiple posters, many of whom quite obviously know a lot more about engineering and aviation than you.

Such repeated unwillingness to to accept overwhelming and conclusive evidence that debunks your claim is a key hallmark of the Conspiracy Theorist - you are no better that Moon Hoax believers and 911 Truthers.

This thread should be moved to the CT forum where it belongs
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 07:20 AM   #135
Jrrarglblarg
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 12,673
Leave the thread and move esspee to CT.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 09:19 AM   #136
esspee
black goo
 
esspee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,098
Welcome one and all to the New FLYBOARD AIR HOAX THREAD.

I have been moved here to the CONSPIRACY FORUM by the admins by popular demand of some of the folk in the other forum.

So here is where I will post new info from now on.

If you are new to this 'conspiracy theory' (as some would like to call it) the following videos may bring you up to speed.

A playlist of a few videos I created : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhVc...P_mPs1ELVw-gpI

A more indepth video by another youtuber concerning some doubts he had : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5LVFhFTbWE

And one more youtuber who has questions :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRIlcOqI0JQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPgLx1T0mno



First they ignore you,
then they laugh at you,
then they fight you,



Last edited by esspee; 1st October 2016 at 09:28 AM.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 09:30 AM   #137
esspee
black goo
 
esspee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,098
Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
Leave the thread and move esspee to CT.
I am posting in the Conspriacy forum from now on. For some reason the posts are duplicating into your science forum, but I am sure teh admins will be able to sort that out soon.

I will not be posting in this thread in the Science forum for the foreseeable future

Catch you all later.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 09:37 AM   #138
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 18,139
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
For some reason the posts are duplicating into your science forum, but I am sure teh admins will be able to sort that out soon.
You have some weird tendency to see things happening which aren't actually happening.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 09:41 AM   #139
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 18,139
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
I have been moved here to the CONSPIRACY FORUM by the admins by popular demand of some of the folk in the other forum because this is a conspiracy theory thread.
I made that accurate.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 09:54 AM   #140
esspee
black goo
 
esspee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,098
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
You have some weird tendency to see things happening which aren't actually happening.
It happened for a moment. Then it corrected itself. I had both threads open and my post duplicated into both of them.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 09:59 AM   #141
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 18,139
Franky had a helicopter with a cable for a moment and then it all corrected itself.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 11:27 AM   #142
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,365
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Franky had a helicopter with a cable for a moment and then it all corrected itself.
He has an invisible helicopter with him at all times and a convoy of semis with cash to pay bystanders to film his stuff.
__________________
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
----------------------------------------------
Proud woo denier
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 03:34 PM   #143
esspee
black goo
 
esspee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,098
Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
He has an invisible helicopter with him at all times and a convoy of semis with cash to pay bystanders to film his stuff.
You don't need to pay bystanders who are added in after using adobe after effects.



Seeing as I am now in the conspiracy section and free to say what i like, i would like to take this opportunity to make a forecast for something that I think is likely to occur next in the Flyboard Air story.


PREDICTION:

The JETPACK aviation guy is in Monaco.
His recent videos released today/yesterday have a very familiar feel to them. I should know, I have watched a lot of Franky vids.
Based on the style of these recent JetPack vids i think there is a good chance they are made by the same team as the guys who make Franky Flyboard Air videos.

Franky also likes to fly his device in Monaco as we have seen plenty of times now.

The Jetpack guy IMO is in MOnaco because they are going to release a new video with the Flyboard Air and the JetPack flying together.

If my suspicions are correct, this video will be out soon.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 03:51 PM   #144
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 18,139
Quote:
Seeing as I am now in the conspiracy section and free to say what i like
You could have said what you like in the other forum section as well. Simple concepts seem to escape you.

Monaco #2 will be a hoax. It's been decided even before it happens. There are no goalposts and there never were any. esspee was telling lies when he said that if certain parameters were met he would agree that Flyboard Air is real. Ha ha you got punked by esspee. Franky is a hoaxer forever.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 05:16 PM   #145
esspee
black goo
 
esspee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,098
@parcher

I'm currently on about 95% it being a hoax of some kind 5% real.

I entertain the fact that my perception may be wrong. Do you?

Where do you sit? Are you 100% sure that it is real based on the 'evidence' you have seen?

Or like me do you not know for certain but heavily lean one way?



Also - I had to watch what i said in the other forum because I knew people wanted this thread moved.
Well its been moved now - so f'it. I don't have to watch anything I say anymore.

By the way - is there a reason that you are including snide insults in your posts lately?

You might regret doing that down the road if/when this turns out to have been a hoax.

Or course - I think it is a hoax, so go for your life - insult away!!

Last edited by esspee; 1st October 2016 at 05:30 PM.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 05:18 PM   #146
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,442
Grateful for the move of all the CT rubbish.

/unsubscribe
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
Prayer: "a sophisticated way of pleading with thunderstorms." T.Pratchett
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 05:34 PM   #147
esspee
black goo
 
esspee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,098
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Grateful for the move of all the CT rubbish.

/unsubscribe
I guess by 'Conspiracy Theory rubbish' you mean 'Skepticism'.



esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 05:38 PM   #148
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 6,685
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
You don't need to pay bystanders who are added in after using adobe after effects.
You can't add in an interactive crowd to a LIVE broadcast, and even if you could, you still have the problem that the flights and the locations were all announced in advance, so you had thousands of real-life witnesses showing up (very inconvenient for anyone trying to fake it). So far every video and report from those live witness confirms that the thing is real, and not one person who was present claimed that it was fake.

What you are doing is handwaving away conclusive evidence, just like the Conspiracy Theorist that you are!
__________________
► 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists; 12 Apollo astronauts really did walk on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald,who acted alone.
► Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed. - Jay Utah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 05:44 PM   #149
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 18,139
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
a hoax of some kind
You no longer even have a clue what kind of a hoax it would be. You are totally baffled. It must be a hoax, but only God knows how it is happening.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 05:50 PM   #150
esspee
black goo
 
esspee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,098
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
You can't add in an interactive crowd to a LIVE broadcast, and even if you could, you still have the problem that the flights and the locations were all announced in advance, so you had thousands of real-life witnesses showing up (very inconvenient for anyone trying to fake it). So far every video and report from those live witness confirms that the thing is real, and not one person who was present claimed that it was fake.

What you are doing is handwaving away conclusive evidence, just like the Conspiracy Theorist that you are!
Would you like to comment on the following aspects of this story.

1. Why does his ground crew wear shorts and trainers, and other unsuitable clothing? (as seen in one of my recent videos)
2. Why was he training above concrete without a safety line or crash mats? (as seen in my last video)
3. Why were his florida flights barely covered in the USA?

IN the original thread these questions were waved away - Would you like to be brave enough to address them?

Bonus question - 4. whilst gaining about 100million views on social media with the videos on the event ( in only about a week) why was the media not interested in Franky. Why did he not do the chat show circuit like Rossy did ( ROssy is confirmed real deal stuff)
Only about 3 or 4 articles appeared online. And they all contained footage from the sovial media sites.

( bonus info - according to another 'conspiracy theorist' he actually phoned up the newsroom who did the fox story, they told him they were sent the footage by frankies team.)

You can answer these questions, or you can ignore them like everyone has.

Last edited by esspee; 1st October 2016 at 05:53 PM.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 05:56 PM   #151
esspee
black goo
 
esspee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,098
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
You no longer even have a clue what kind of a hoax it would be. You are totally baffled. It must be a hoax, but only God knows how it is happening.
I have a few ideas.

BUt you don't need to know exactly how a magic trick is done to conclude that it is most likely an illusion.

I've seen a close up magician before in person. I don't know how he did the tricks.
But that does not mean I think he was a wizard.

Last edited by esspee; 1st October 2016 at 05:57 PM.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 06:52 PM   #152
The Greater Fool
Illuminator
 
The Greater Fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Posts: 3,230
Others have given responses to your concerning aspects, but I'll treat you was a non-CT this one time, until you wave away the possible explanations.

With the slightest effort, you could arrive at simple explanations for your concerning aspects.

These are not things reporters asked nor are they first or even fifth level questions.
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
1. Why does his ground crew wear shorts and trainers, and other unsuitable clothing? (as seen in one of my recent videos)
Since their flesh was not burned away, nor are they dancing about like a cat on a hot tin roof, more clothing doesn't seem necessary. Additionally, these are watersport guys, at a watersport event, and they are concerned most (it seems) with a water landing, dressing for swimming seems the more likely need.
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
2. Why was he training above concrete without a safety line or crash mats? (as seen in my last video)
Over confidence? Obviously, they felt two spotters to be adequate.
We also don't know what other precautions were taken;

Originally Posted by esspee View Post
3. Why were his florida flights barely covered in the USA?
Because it was not huge news by then, being the 4th or 5th public flights, at a watersport event that itself didn't garner much press coverage.

Originally Posted by esspee View Post
IN the original thread these questions were waved away - Would you like to be brave enough to address them?
No, the explanations have been hand waved, just as my responses above will be.

Originally Posted by esspee View Post
Bonus question - 4. whilst gaining about 100million views on social media with the videos on the event ( in only about a week) why was the media not interested in Franky. Why did he not do the chat show circuit like Rossy did ( ROssy is confirmed real deal stuff)
Because he's not interested? Because the talk shows are not interested?

Originally Posted by esspee View Post
Only about 3 or 4 articles appeared online. And they all contained footage from the sovial media sites.
Again, being 4 - 5 flights in, this is not big news. There are many larger and more important stories that haven't hit the news.
__________________
- "Who is the Greater Fool? The fool? Or the one arguing with the Fool?" [Various; Uknown]
- "The only way to win is not to play." [Tsig quoting 'War Games']
The Greater Fool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 07:02 PM   #153
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,365
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
You don't need to pay bystanders who are added in after using adobe after effects.



Seeing as I am now in the conspiracy section and free to say what i like, i would like to take this opportunity to make a forecast for something that I think is likely to occur next in the Flyboard Air story.


PREDICTION:

The JETPACK aviation guy is in Monaco.
His recent videos released today/yesterday have a very familiar feel to them. I should know, I have watched a lot of Franky vids.
Based on the style of these recent JetPack vids i think there is a good chance they are made by the same team as the guys who make Franky Flyboard Air videos.

Franky also likes to fly his device in Monaco as we have seen plenty of times now.

The Jetpack guy IMO is in MOnaco because they are going to release a new video with the Flyboard Air and the JetPack flying together.

If my suspicions are correct, this video will be out soon.
Congrats, Not since a special brand of 9/11 truthers have I seen the "It was all CGI" line rolled out.
__________________
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
----------------------------------------------
Proud woo denier
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-

Last edited by Nay_Sayer; 1st October 2016 at 07:04 PM.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 07:03 PM   #154
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,365
Delete
__________________
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
----------------------------------------------
Proud woo denier
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-

Last edited by Nay_Sayer; 1st October 2016 at 07:04 PM.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 07:09 PM   #155
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 6,685
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
Would you like to comment on the following aspects of this story.

1. Why does his ground crew wear shorts and trainers, and other unsuitable clothing? (as seen in one of my recent videos)
Why not if they find it comfortable?

Why is such attire unsuitable? There are no safety issues with wearing shorts and trainers. I used to wear shorts when I worked on an aircraft flight line, especially in summer.

Clothing doesn't prove a hoax

Originally Posted by esspee View Post
2. Why was he training above concrete without a safety line or crash mats? (as seen in my last video)
Why not? Its his risk to take, no-one elses. Have a look at the old flying platforms going back to the 1960's; all tested over ground without harnesses.

Unsafe training methods do not prove a hoax,

Originally Posted by esspee View Post
3. Why were his florida flights barely covered in the USA?
Why should they be? Did you know that entire mainstream media coverage in NZ of the Flyboard "water" was one 30 second slot in the news when Frank first invented it. It hasn't been seen on TV since.. Same applies to Yves Rossy fling wing.

Poor media coverage of an event does not prove a hoax

Originally Posted by esspee View Post
Bonus question - 4. whilst gaining about 100million views on social media with the videos on the event ( in only about a week) why was the media not interested in Franky. Why did he not do the chat show circuit like Rossy did ( ROssy is confirmed real deal stuff)
Only about 3 or 4 articles appeared online. And they all contained footage from the social media sites.
Why would they be interested?

They have a LOT of news to report, most of which is far more important than some guy flying around on a home-made platform and one 40 minute slot each day to put it into.

Did you realise that Yves Rossy had his machine up and running for 18 months before Reuters became interested?

Originally Posted by esspee View Post
( bonus info - according to another 'conspiracy theorist' he actually phoned up the newsroom who did the fox story, they told him they were sent the footage by frankies team.)
Right. One conspiracy theorist using the rantings of another conspiracy theorist as evidence. And you think is is valid?
__________________
► 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists; 12 Apollo astronauts really did walk on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald,who acted alone.
► Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed. - Jay Utah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2016, 07:20 PM   #156
esspee
black goo
 
esspee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,098
Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
Others have given responses to your concerning aspects, but I'll treat you was a non-CT this one time, until you wave away the possible explanations.

With the slightest effort, you could arrive at simple explanations for your concerning aspects.

These are not things reporters asked nor are they first or even fifth level questions.

Since their flesh was not burned away, nor are they dancing about like a cat on a hot tin roof, more clothing doesn't seem necessary. Additionally, these are watersport guys, at a watersport event, and they are concerned most (it seems) with a water landing, dressing for swimming seems the more likely need.

A fair point. Possible. One thing I would like to add here is that you are correct, they are watersport guys. Watersport guys who have excelled at aviation, doins something no one else in aviation has been able to do before. I can say that Franky was likely not a proffesional or even hobby pilot previous to this. Because in an interview he stated that he wanted to be a helicopter pilot when he was younger but that he is colour blind.
Its a shame, because he seems to easily be able to land on a small landing area even when approaching it downwind, crosswind, downwind-crosswind. And has even stated that he has flown in high winds, meaning he landed that thing in high winds ( I can't remember how high it was , but it was ridiculously high. All up he would have made an impressive helicopter pilot going by his amazing ability to quickly develop the skills and feel to do this.


Over confidence? Obviously, they felt two spotters to be adequate.
We also don't know what other precautions were taken;

True we do not know what precations were taken. But it does not look like he is wearing a harness attached to a safety line, and it can be clearly seen that he is not using crash mats. ANy other precations that we can not see must be pretty good. Falling approximately 8ft onto concrete with your feet strapped to a jet might not end well. Please refer to his flight for France Has Got Talent, where he used the airhose version. Note the crash mats and how he still almost got hurt when he landed badly, lost control and flew off the crash mats



Because it was not huge news by then, being the 4th or 5th public flights, at a watersport event that itself didn't garner much press coverage.

Okay. But it was pretty much the number one exploding viral video on facebook in the first 2 days. You think no one in a news agency or tv show wanted to get a bit of that attention too? 100m in a week is a lot of hits IMO. I also doubt Franky would turn down the chance to go on popular tv shows and plug his brand. There are a lot of Flyboard (water) operation dotted all around the USA

No, the explanations have been hand waved, just as my responses above will be.


Because he's not interested? Because the talk shows are not interested?


Again, being 4 - 5 flights in, this is not big news. There are many larger and more important stories that haven't hit the news.
SO you are saying no one picked up on a story that had was exploding on facebook getting many millions of views in just the first day, because there were more important stories? I think you think all of the news is about imprtance - some of it IMO is about entertainment. Many newspapers or news websites ( other than the 3 or 4 tiny local ones) IMO would have been all over this if it was legit
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2016, 12:13 AM   #157
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 6,685
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
So you are saying no one picked up on a story that had was exploding on facebook getting many millions of views in just the first day, because there were more important stories? I think you think all of the news is about imprtance - some of it IMO is about entertainment. Many newspapers or news websites ( other than the 3 or 4 tiny local ones) IMO would have been all over this if it was legit

It happens all the time. There are literaly hundreds of viral videos that never make the mainstream news...

Here is just one, a YouTube video with nearly five million views of an incredible young guitarist. No mainstream media interest in this...

NOTE: If you are like me, someone whose musical appreciation spans from Classical Music to Heavy Rock, you will love this.... enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF6cnLnEARo

Lack of interest in Social Media viral video does not indicate a hoax!
__________________
► 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists; 12 Apollo astronauts really did walk on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald,who acted alone.
► Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed. - Jay Utah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2016, 04:37 AM   #158
Drs_Res
NWO Acorn Hoarder
 
Drs_Res's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: N 34 3 8 / W 118 14 33
Posts: 2,100
Facebook counts, or used to count, a video as being viewed if the video ran over 3 seconds in someone's browser. I am not a Facebook user, but I heard that a lot of videos on Facebook auto start with no sound. It might take you longer than 3 seconds before you stop that video or switch to a different one. So I would take video views on Facebook with a grain of salt. I'd say cut the number down by 50 to 80 percent and you are probably closer to the number of real views. I am open to correction on this of course.

Here are a couple of highly viewed videos that I never saw on the news:
  • Charlie bit my finger - again ! -- Veiws: 843,262,558

    YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
    I AGREE
  • Play Doh Ice cream cupcakes playset playdough by Unboxingsurpriseegg -- Veiws: 804,800,975

    YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
    I AGREE

As to training:
  1. You would not do that over water because:
    1. You want a stable surface to train over where spotters can follow you around easily.
    2. You may have to set down quickly and do not want to go into a pool or lake.

*ETA: I did not originally watch your "Flyboard Air HOAX #4 - training over concrete" video and thought that your video was referencing Franky's "First flight on the ground with an airboard" video. I was wondering why you said something about being 8 feet off of the ground. So I watched your video and see that you took 8 seconds out of a 4 minute segment from a French television show, added your own derpy music and some other clips to it.
  1. That 8 seconds has no context.
    1. Maybe he was training. You know that he sets up the platform that he takes off and lands on over hard surfaces. So it is quite possible that he was practicing flying over his platform to get a feel for the how the flyboad acts over a grated surface. Was that the prototype for his platform? We don't know.
    2. Maybe he was not training, maybe he was testing to see if they needed to make any changes to the grating.
    3. Maybe they were testing to see what the optimum height for the platform should be.
  2. He was only 3 maybe 4 feet off of his platform, which is the grated platform that he takes off and lands on.
  3. He is not flying off of said platform, so he drops at most 3 to 4 feet, not 8, and not onto concrete.

As to France's Got Talent, it is quite possible that the mat covering the stage was insisted on by the television producers for liability reasons. Franky may not have even wanted that on stage. It is also possible that he may have wanted it as well since he was trying to show off to a degree, I don't know.
__________________
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Last edited by Drs_Res; 2nd October 2016 at 04:40 AM.
Drs_Res is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2016, 05:24 AM   #159
esspee
black goo
 
esspee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,098
Originally Posted by Drs_Res View Post
Facebook counts, or used to count, a video as being viewed if the video ran over 3 seconds in someone's browser. I am not a Facebook user, but I heard that a lot of videos on Facebook auto start with no sound. It might take you longer than 3 seconds before you stop that video or switch to a different one. So I would take video views on Facebook with a grain of salt. I'd say cut the number down by 50 to 80 percent and you are probably closer to the number of real views. I am open to correction on this of course.

Here are a couple of highly viewed videos that I never saw on the news:
  • Charlie bit my finger - again ! -- Veiws: 843,262,558

    YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
    I AGREE
  • Play Doh Ice cream cupcakes playset playdough by Unboxingsurpriseegg -- Veiws: 804,800,975

    YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
    I AGREE

As to training:
  1. You would not do that over water because:
    1. You want a stable surface to train over where spotters can follow you around easily.
    2. You may have to set down quickly and do not want to go into a pool or lake.

*ETA: I did not originally watch your "Flyboard Air HOAX #4 - training over concrete" video and thought that your video was referencing Franky's "First flight on the ground with an airboard" video. I was wondering why you said something about being 8 feet off of the ground. So I watched your video and see that you took 8 seconds out of a 4 minute segment from a French television show, added your own derpy music and some other clips to it.
  1. That 8 seconds has no context.
    1. Maybe he was training. You know that he sets up the platform that he takes off and lands on over hard surfaces. So it is quite possible that he was practicing flying over his platform to get a feel for the how the flyboad acts over a grated surface. Was that the prototype for his platform? We don't know.
    2. Maybe he was not training, maybe he was testing to see if they needed to make any changes to the grating.
    3. Maybe they were testing to see what the optimum height for the platform should be.
  2. He was only 3 maybe 4 feet off of his platform, which is the grated platform that he takes off and lands on.
  3. He is not flying off of said platform, so he drops at most 3 to 4 feet, not 8, and not onto concrete.

As to France's Got Talent, it is quite possible that the mat covering the stage was insisted on by the television producers for liability reasons. Franky may not have even wanted that on stage. It is also possible that he may have wanted it as well since he was trying to show off to a degree, I don't know.
Thanks for your info about facebook videos. I had not thought about that.
This auto play thing may also explain why it was not as 'big' on youtube.

( I don't really use facebook much - but you are right as my flatmate used to show me stuff on his time line and every video he scrolled past started playing automatically. Don't know if this is a setting he had on or if this is just facebook in general when 'friends' share vids - but your comment is legit. I only have an empty account with no contacts, so any vids i watch on there are not from mates - but ones i have to find. So they don't autoplay for me)

Regarding the training over concrete. I did not mean to suggest he was flying around all ove the place.
However, landing and taking off are the most critical phases of any flight, and hovering in place is a skill that pilots of real things such as helicopters and paragliders have to develop over time.
Just because he was a few feet above the platform this does not mean he is safe at all. If anything this is a danger zone as the close proximity to the the elevated ground mean things can happen before he can react.

You have a good point about training over water.

It could wreck the machine. However falling off this launch pad could wreck the Pilot.

WHat i would expect to see, if this was legit, is some kind of safety line attached to a small crane. It could be as simple as a pulley attached to any high point. You could even just use climbing rope and a belayer.

BUt flying an expensive experimental contraption over an elevated platform with no crash mats and no safety line seems like a pointless gamble even from a financial point of view.
You could damage the equipment, or you could damage your pilot. Seeing as Franky is the only guy flying this to my knowledge, he is not someone the project would wish to lose due to injury. They would have either extended down time while he recovered, or have to train up a new 'test pilot'.

P.s. I used two separate short clips taken from the same program, as that is the only footage i could find anywhere showing this scene. The scenes were given no context in the original program either.
Personally - I am still waiting for the footage of Franky crashing into the water 12 days before the record attempt. That footage has yet to surface. Maybe no one was videoing, maybe he just did not want to release it, or maybe it was not worth the sheer editing time and difficulty involved in pulling it off.

Last edited by esspee; 2nd October 2016 at 05:55 AM.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2016, 06:14 AM   #160
ehcks
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,302
Quote:
WHat i would expect to see, if this was legit, is some kind of safety line attached to a small crane. It could be as simple as a pulley attached to any high point. You could even just use climbing rope and a belayer.
OSHA would also like to see that. He wouldn't, because a harness and safety line would dramatically limit both his range and maneuverability. Can't go very far, can't turn very quickly without tangling up the line. If he wants to do any showing off, a safety line would make it more dangerous.
__________________
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor
ehcks is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:32 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.