ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st December 2016, 07:32 AM   #241
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Is the assertion that there has been a massive wave of graffitiing Buddhists or Shintoists?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 07:43 AM   #242
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Is the assertion that there has been a massive wave of graffitiing Buddhists or Shintoists?
See, there it is again. The complete transformation of one argument to mean something much larger.

The thing I was addressing was "most of the world see swastikas as X". That's it. Nothing else.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 07:44 AM   #243
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Hirohito was right.

Sushi is delicious.

Old 1st December 2016, 07:52 AM   #244
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
See, there it is again. The complete transformation of one argument to mean something much larger.

The thing I was addressing was "most of the world see swastikas as X". That's it. Nothing else.
So that is why hitler themed resturants are poping up in India and hitler weddings in Korea.

http://www.vice.com/read/nazis-chic-...hion-craze-456
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 07:59 AM   #245
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

I know. I was joshing you.

Should have used an emoticon.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 08:00 AM   #246
Argumemnon
World Maker

I know. I was joshing you.

Should have used an emoticon.
Nicely done.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 08:01 AM   #247
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
So that is why hitler themed resturants are poping up in India and hitler weddings in Korea.

http://www.vice.com/read/nazis-chic-...hion-craze-456
No, I assume they just don't have the visceral negative reaction to the Nazi imagery. To be fair, the Nazis knew how to dress and design stuff. It's a bit spoiled by the mass murder and stuff, though.

Old 1st December 2016, 08:53 AM   #248
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

No, I assume they just don't have the visceral negative reaction to the Nazi imagery. To be fair, the Nazis knew how to dress and design stuff. It's a bit spoiled by the mass murder and stuff, though.
The packaging was better than the product, that's for sure.

Hitler and Nazi imagery are popular in India and Thailand. Can't blame them, it's a distance thing.
We had a department store here sell products with Mao on them, until there were complaints.
There's a flower pot shop in Amsterdam called Pol's Pots. I kid you not.
Old 1st December 2016, 09:24 AM   #249
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
The packaging was better than the product, that's for sure.

Hitler and Nazi imagery are popular in India and Thailand. Can't blame them, it's a distance thing.
We had a department store here sell products with Mao on them, until there were complaints.
They still sell Che Guevara shirts, don't they?

And confederate flags.

Quote:
There's a flower pot shop in Amsterdam called Pol's Pots. I kid you not.
Hilarious.

Old 4th December 2016, 06:01 AM   #250
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

So even when they are used in exactly the same fashion to achieve the same results you fail to see any equivalence? What messages can be used to intimidate someone that is bad and what can you ignore as just trolling?

If they wanted everyone to dismiss them as trolls they should have kept it to the basic rape and death threats.
So we have a mind reader or clairvoyant person... And with some set of "odd" suggestions.

Depends what you mean by "most of the world", given that it's used as a religious symbol in China, India, Japan and other places in asia.
I was mostly thinking about excluding India. Didn't think it was that widespread.

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Hmm, given the eye in your avatar you seem more likely to be the supervillainess Evil Eye to me.
Nah, I am going by trope "Red is heroic" or at least subversion and by "Dark Is not evil".

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2016, 06:29 AM   #251
Stout
Illuminator

Looks like we have another one

I'm sure somebody caught this on their phone and is uploading the footage to YouTube as we speak.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 05:53 AM   #252
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
So we have a mind reader or clairvoyant person... And with some set of "odd" suggestions.
Rape and death threats are trolling 101 level stuff. So what makes the death threat of burning a cross in someones lawn so much worse? It should be treated as only the petty vandalism it is.

We excuse so many rape and death threats why treat some of them as ever being important?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 08:37 AM   #253
Myron Proudfoot
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Looks like we have another one

I'm sure somebody caught this on their phone and is uploading the footage to YouTube as we speak.
Don't read the comments. oye.
Old 5th December 2016, 09:15 AM   #254
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
They can't have been that racist, since they played together for years without noticing. To me, the moral of this story is that even racists can be tolerant and supportive team players.

Maybe racism isn't such a grave sin after all. Everybody is some kind of bigot. All we can ask of each other is that we keep it to ourselves and show basic respect in mixed company.

But I'm guessing the way your wife tells the story, none of her students ever realized that for years, these racists treated her not like an inferior other, but like a teammate. And none of her students ever reflected on what that might say about racism as a social issue.
Originally Posted by Caper View Post
Yeah ponderingturtle,
Have your wife ponder that for a while.
In other words, if when playing sports no overt racism is expressed, that means all the "minor" issues are solved as well, such when a minority attempts to move into a majority neighborhood, dares to try marrying into a majority family, or applies for a job.... Brilliant! How wonderfully simple! This 'pondering' sure has deepity.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 09:29 AM   #255
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Checking in on the massive wave of hate crimes against minorities.

Can I get an update on the death toll?
Old 5th December 2016, 10:21 AM   #256
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Death toll?
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2016, 11:08 PM   #257
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

How's that massive wave of hate crimes coming along?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2016, 04:07 AM   #258
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Why don't harassment and threats count? Why do only deaths count?

But good to know you are so cool with threats and harassment. Those people deserve it.
Old 7th December 2016, 05:23 AM   #259
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Why don't harassment and threats count? Why do only deaths count?

But good to know you are so cool with threats and harassment. Those people deserve it.
Those who are not alarmist, must be racist.
Old 7th December 2016, 06:16 AM   #260
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Those who are not alarmist, must be racist.
He did pose a question, which you dodged. I'd like an answer as well. Why do only deaths count?

Old 7th December 2016, 06:22 AM   #261
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

He did pose a question, which you dodged. I'd like an answer as well. Why do only deaths count?
It's a "massive" wave.

We could do it like tsunamis. There's an earthquake and a massive tsunami is predicted. One expects consequences. I suppose you could measure property damage too.

Or, what's easier, is just to redefine "massive" to mean whatever actually happens. "More than normal" will do in a pinch.

Now I have a massive headache. You know, what used to be called a "minor twinge."
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2016, 06:35 AM   #262
Stout
Illuminator

Good news, there's been a bust in one of these reported hate crimes.

Link

This massive wave might be even more massive that we're currently led to believe

Link
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2016, 07:21 AM   #263
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Good news, there's been a bust in one of these reported hate crimes.

Link

This massive wave might be even more massive that we're currently led to believe

Link
Well, that's all well and good then. Nothing to worry about. As long as we close our eyes and cover our ears, nothing can happen.

Or did you wish to say something else? Are all the reported attacks false flags by African Americans?

Old 7th December 2016, 08:43 AM   #264
Stout
Illuminator

Well, that's all well and good then. Nothing to worry about. As long as we close our eyes and cover our ears, nothing can happen.

Or did you wish to say something else? Are all the reported attacks false flags by African Americans?
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought a little dose of reality would be appreciated on a skeptic's board but if it's stories of (presumably ) white people behaving badly, then it's the story of Pat and Joe in Cincinnati you need
Old 7th December 2016, 09:26 AM   #265
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought a little dose of reality would be appreciated on a skeptic's board but if it's stories of (presumably ) white people behaving badly, then it's the story of Pat and Joe in Cincinnati you need
Exactly all of those we know are popping up must be the results of shifty darkies. It is just like blacks after all always making up discrimination. Why in the old days you never heard any of them signing the blues, just ask Phil Robertson or Cliven Bundy.
Old 7th December 2016, 09:27 AM   #266
Peterson
Critical Thinker

My Spanish mother-in-law was debating with a white neighbor about the election (she is against Trump). The argument ended friendly enough but later the neighbor just had to point out that "they were here first". I'm no historian but I'm pretty sure the Spanish were in America before the Brits.
Peterson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2016, 09:34 AM   #267
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Peterson View Post
My Spanish mother-in-law was debating with a white neighbor about the election (she is against Trump). The argument ended friendly enough but later the neighbor just had to point out that "they were here first". I'm no historian but I'm pretty sure the Spanish were in America before the Brits.
That's a hell of a massive hate crime wave your mother in law is dealing with.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2016, 09:38 AM   #268
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Peterson View Post
That would depend what part of "America" you are in.

Heck, the French were here (Chicago) before the Spanish and the British
Old 7th December 2016, 09:35 PM   #269
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

From the stuff posted upthread, it appears there was a spike right after the election, then a quick return to roughly normal levels.

So it's stalled. Let's hope it doesn't return on swearing in.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2016, 09:40 AM   #270
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

A Muslim woman confronting a man who was harassing her teenage son was told "ISIS bitch, I will cut your throat, go back to your country."
Too bad for him she was an off-duty NYPD officer.

A female Muslim NYC transit worker was shoved down a flight of stairs by a man who shouted "You’re a terrorist, go back to your own country!”
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2016, 06:32 PM   #271
Noztradamus
Illuminator

I'm confident not all are by African-Americans
Old 9th December 2016, 08:13 PM   #272
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

More like rough surf after a storm.
Old 9th December 2016, 08:14 PM   #273
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
From the stuff posted upthread, it appears there was a spike right after the election, then a quick return to roughly normal levels.

So it's stalled. Let's hope it doesn't return on swearing in.

Past peak wave?
Old 10th December 2016, 06:29 AM   #274
catsmate
No longer the 1

Even politicians aren't safe.
The first Somali-American legislator, Minnesota state representative-elect Ilhan Omar, was harassed by a cab driver in Washington, DC on her way from the White House, where she'd been attending a meeting about policy ideas, last Tuesday.
The cab driver "called me ISIS and threatened to remove my hijab", said Omar who described his words as "the most hateful, derogatory, islamophobic, sexist taunts and threats I have ever experienced".

The deplorables are at it again.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2016, 07:45 AM   #275
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Even politicians aren't safe.
The first Somali-American legislator, Minnesota state representative-elect Ilhan Omar, was harassed by a cab driver in Washington, DC on her way from the White House, where she'd been attending a meeting about policy ideas, last Tuesday.
The cab driver "called me ISIS and threatened to remove my hijab", said Omar who described his words as "the most hateful, derogatory, islamophobic, sexist taunts and threats I have ever experienced".

The deplorables are at it again.
No, the deplorables have been at it all along.

The spurious point of this thread is that there has been a rise in the rate. I think that is un-falsifiable at the level of verbal insults.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2016, 07:57 AM   #276
Wolrab
Illuminator

Anyone with a can of paint or a sharpie can vandalize a wall with a swastika. My money is on the special snowflakes that didn't get their way in the election trying to stir up sympathy.

There are ******** and racists out there, but no more than before the election and on both sides of the fence.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2016, 08:25 AM   #277
Stout
Illuminator

This weird

Yasmin Seweid is reported as missing
Old 10th December 2016, 10:20 AM   #278
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The article has an update saying she's been found safe.
Old 10th December 2016, 11:35 AM   #279
Wolrab
Illuminator

Cool story Sis'.

Why would the original story be given consideration as news? Any, non provable statement is now taken as proof unto itself?
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov

Last edited by Wolrab; 10th December 2016 at 11:40 AM.
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2016, 01:29 PM   #280
Stout
Illuminator

It's part of the massive wave, mon.

This should have you sitting on the edge of your seat gnawing your fingernails with worry.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events