ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd April 2017, 11:06 AM   #1
esspee
black goo

The flying machines are APPEARING everywhere.

disclaimer - this is not a conspiracy thread. BUt the mods can move it to conspiracy if they see fit,

First we had the stand on drone by Alex Duru.

Then the JB 9 / JB 10 jetpack by Jetpack Aviation.

Then the Flyboard Air by Franky Zapata

Then the Human Lifting Drone in association with Casey Niestat and Samsung Cameras.

NOW LET ME PRESENT TO YOU : The Real Life Iron Man Jetpack that Actually Flies (see video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JinhIHIF8Eo

I hope to see the opinions of people here on this new development in the field of vtol.

Over to you.....

Last edited by esspee; 3rd April 2017 at 11:09 AM.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2017, 11:29 AM   #2
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Nothing on this looks like it violates any physics. But, damn, that's an unstable setup. It takes a lot of strength to manage, there's no way in hell you could do this safely at altitude. It's a cool toy, but it's never going to be more than a toy.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2017, 11:46 AM   #3
esspee
black goo

the most popular vid, from there own channel.

release date is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ05iAuIAlc
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2017, 12:20 PM   #4
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, the date gives room for thought. However, small turbojets such as the ones shown have been commercially available for some time. If you mount such engines on your body pointing downwards with with a total thrust exceeding your weight, then you will fly.

Stability and safety is another matter, but there is nothing mystical or sensational in it.

Hans
Old 7th April 2017, 11:51 PM   #5
novaphile
Critical Thinker

I didn't see any "flying" he didn't get out of ground effect
Old 10th April 2017, 01:43 AM   #6
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I didn't see any "flying" he didn't get out of ground effect

Mmm, maybe. Ground effect when hovering on a jet engine is not that great. I would guess the main reason we don't see him go any higher is that he is, apparently, not completely daft: He has very little control of the whole thing, and he is reluctant to fly any higher than he would care to fall.

- Which makes him a good deal smarter than a lot of earlier flight pretenders who jumped off from high places.

Hans
Old 10th April 2017, 01:46 AM   #7
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

But, on the proliferation of flying devices, man-carrying and otherwise: Technologies never before commercially available can now be purchased at prices realistic for the common person, so ... we are going to see more of that.

And, there will be casualties.

Hans
Old 10th April 2017, 05:47 AM   #8
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Mmm, maybe. Ground effect when hovering on a jet engine is not that great. I would guess the main reason we don't see him go any higher is that he is, apparently, not completely daft: He has very little control of the whole thing, and he is reluctant to fly any higher than he would care to fall.

- Which makes him a good deal smarter than a lot of earlier flight pretenders who jumped off from high places.

Hans

Maybe he should use the same technique as the Moller Skycar. Suspend himself from a cable while insisting that it's only for safety and he really is flying. Honest.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2017, 07:08 AM   #9
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Iron Man's design was always stupid as-is. As they learned (and talked about) in the pilot episode of Salvage One.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2017, 07:20 AM   #10
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Maybe he should use the same technique as the Moller Skycar. Suspend himself from a cable while insisting that it's only for safety and he really is flying. Honest.
The Moller Skycar is an "intimate" phenomenon for me in that the company (such that it is) is local. For endless decades the local newspaper published a breathless article annually about how Moller was now, Now, NOW, this time, really cross my heart and hope to die, ready to go into production and to sell their flying car commercially. But somehow there was always some sort of problem that delayed it yet again (which of course was not reported). And the Moller flying car would be cheap, get great gas mileage, would be completely safe, and could be piloted by any adult. The company website still declares that the 5th generation of Skycar is in the "operational prototype" stage (their quotes) although the actual current status of the company, their funding, etc. is extraordinarily unclear. Perhaps they need to find a bigger cable?

But this aside is out of place, in that the Flyboard Air actually works, as esspee has finally conceded in another thread. My own point was driven by nostalgia over the story of the Moller car and by my desire to emphasize that it is often easy to separate actual working products such as the Flyboard Air from the never-will-be. I found the Flyboard Air claims very convincing very quickly. The Moller car was (and is) IMHO very clearly in a different category.

Last edited by Giordano; 10th April 2017 at 07:28 AM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2017, 07:29 AM   #11
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
The Moller Skycar is an "intimate" phenomenon for me in that the company (such that it is) is local. For endless decades the local newspaper published a breathless article annually about how Moller was now, Now, NOW, this time, really cross my heart and hope to die, ready to go into production and to sell their flying car commercially. But somehow there was always some sort of problem that delayed it yet again (which of course was not reported). And the Moller flying car would be cheap, get great gas mileage, would be completely safe, and could be piloted by any adult. The company website still declares that the 5th generation of Skycar is in the "operational prototype" stage (their quotes) although the actual current status of the company, their funding, etc. is extraordinarily unclear. Perhaps they need to find a bigger cable?

But this aside is out of place, in that the Flyboard Air actually works, as esspee has finally conceded in another thread. My own point was driven by nostalgia over the story of the Moller car and by my desire to emphasize that it is often easy to separate actual working products such as the Flyboard Air from the never-will-be.

I've been watching it off and on for decades now, too. The original blue one like a space ship is more similar to what might be a fancy giant hobby drone today. It seemed brilliant with lots of safe redundancy. I don't know if the guy was just looking for investment-as-salary (this link itself was over an appearance on Art Bell which didn't happen when the show itself disappeared) or was stuck without proper computer control or what, but none of it ever seemed to materialize beyond grainy filmed demos.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2017, 07:38 AM   #12
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

I totally understand he doesn't fly higher. Zapata for example only flies over water. These devices have no backup plan .. engine fails, they fall, and quite probably will loos control in spectacular fashion.

And yes, he's WAY above ground effect. Ground effect altitude depends on the size of wing with winged aircracft, and size of the muzzle for reaction lift.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2017, 09:41 AM   #13
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
I totally understand he doesn't fly higher. Zapata for example only flies over water. These devices have no backup plan .. engine fails, they fall, and quite probably will loos control in spectacular fashion.

And yes, he's WAY above ground effect. Ground effect altitude depends on the size of wing with winged aircracft, and size of the muzzle for reaction lift.
people more educated than myself have pointed out to me that vtol jet engines would actually experience negative ground effect when closer to thee ground ( due to vortexes created due to proximity to the ground resulting in the production of downdraft above the machine as part of these cycling vortexes.)

so i am guessing you are correct that the 'real life iron man suit' guy is flying close to the ground for safety ...as he certainly seems to be unstable at present.

if the people who told me what i just told you are correct about the negative effect near the ground (makes sense to me) then he would actually fly more efficiently if he flew higher like Franky Zapata. But of could that would likely result in injury at the present time. Unless he flew with a safety cable tethered to a high place, like the JB10 apparently did during testing ( see their youtube channel for the video)

( disclaimer: all of this is assuming the thing is real of course)

Last edited by esspee; 10th April 2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 29th April 2017, 03:38 AM   #14
esspee
black goo

just gunna drop this new video here

https://www.facebook.com/takeongravi...2124211230290/
Old 29th April 2017, 04:41 AM   #15
Lukraak_Sisser
Master Poster

I never get this, I even don't like sitting in older cars, if I'm going to be subjecting my body to extreme speeds and heights, I want it encased in the best protective materials known to man combined with every redundancy possible.

And this guy straps a (controlled) explosion to his back and arms. Even if it did fly, one mistake and you're a smear on the ground. Why would anyone want this?
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2017, 05:05 AM   #16
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
I never get this, I even don't like sitting in older cars, if I'm going to be subjecting my body to extreme speeds and heights, I want it encased in the best protective materials known to man combined with every redundancy possible.

And this guy straps a (controlled) explosion to his back and arms. Even if it did fly, one mistake and you're a smear on the ground. Why would anyone want this?
I imagine it's the desire to fly. I can imagine when we colonize space one of the things we might do is build super large spaces with 0 effects of gravity and folks for recreation could strap wings to their arms an fly like the birds do. It's an old dream.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2017, 11:42 AM   #17
Grashtel
Student

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post

Probably much the same thing that leads to people doing things like base jumping, extreme climbing, wingsuit stuff, and other similarly dangerous extreme sports.

OTOH I haven't seen the iron man styled version flying more than a few feet off the ground, which as the guy is wearing what looks like a decent amount of protection means that he is unlikely to be seriously hurt in the event of a crash

Last edited by Grashtel; 29th April 2017 at 11:43 AM.
Grashtel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2017, 01:09 PM   #18
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

Some 60 years after the Hiller flying platform and how little personal flying has actually progressed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiller_VZ-1_Pawnee

https://youtu.be/W3FS3D1rCos
Old 29th April 2017, 07:27 PM   #19
novaphile
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
I imagine it's the desire to fly. I can imagine when we colonize space one of the things we might do is build super large spaces with 0 effects of gravity and folks for recreation could strap wings to their arms an fly like the birds do. It's an old dream.
The batcave, IIRC is just like that in Robert Heinlein's short story, "The Menace from Earth"
Old 7th May 2017, 01:35 PM   #20
esspee
black goo

okay skeptics - i finally found an upload of the live flight on tv in the uk.

Please take a minute to watch this and tell me if you think it looks legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbhB4Gnw87Q
Old 7th May 2017, 01:45 PM   #21
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by esspee View Post

I assume it's legit. Nothing about it seems like it couldn't be legit. But it's rather anticlimactic. So he can hover a foot off the ground for a few seconds. So what? Why bother?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 02:08 PM   #22
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Absent all the other videos of this and similar devices, I would not wager a pack of bubblegum on the authenticity of this one video.

Taken with all the other videos and other evidence, I have no reason to think there is a terrible need to fake a video now, so accept the authenticity of this device.

I Notice that from the first video of this guy to this one, the configuration has changed from one engine on each limb, to two engines on the back and one on each arm, to two on each arm. The basic equation of 4 engines is consistent.

Compared to the Flyboard Air, this seems terribly unstable, depending on arm strength. I don't expect much more with this device.
Old 7th May 2017, 02:32 PM   #23
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
Absent all the other videos of this and similar devices, I would not wager a pack of bubblegum on the authenticity of this one video.

Taken with all the other videos and other evidence, I have no reason to think there is a terrible need to fake a video now, so accept the authenticity of this device.

I Notice that from the first video of this guy to this one, the configuration has changed from one engine on each limb, to two engines on the back and one on each arm, to two on each arm. The basic equation of 4 engines is consistent.

Compared to the Flyboard Air, this seems terribly unstable, depending on arm strength. I don't expect much more with this device.

yes this one video looks very dodgy - the lighting, the stage smoke, the flight looks like he is suspended etc etc.

however he recently flew at ted (the speaking event)- so far only two very dodgy low quality videos have come out. Although in these videos we see some proper cameramen with professional tv cameras filming him.

So at some point we will see a decent video of this event one would think. they are taking their time releasing them though. At least to say i can not find the footage

I am very hesitant to go down the road of really looking into this one. I am acutely aware that i failed to prove the flyboard air either fake or real (to myself) despite a whole year of countless hours of research and eventually quiting my job and actually physically moving to god damned france with almost no money. ( lol -if i had some money my research would have been 1000times better though - the old drink with the locals method)

Overall lesson being - i have to be careful what i get into - because once i get into something i really get into something, balls deep so to speak.
But i have very been good to resist this one so far.

#ocd

Last edited by esspee; 7th May 2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 7th May 2017, 02:35 PM   #24
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

okay skeptics
Do you call us that to differentiate yourself?
Old 7th May 2017, 02:37 PM   #25
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Do you call us that to differentiate yourself?
the name of the forum is 'international skeptics'
Old 7th May 2017, 02:40 PM   #26
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Ah, so you are a skeptic like the others here.
Old 7th May 2017, 02:49 PM   #27
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Ah, so you are a skeptic like the others here.
Objection.

Badgering the witness.
Old 7th May 2017, 03:31 PM   #28
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Given your track record, and the stakes, I'm comfortable accepting as real any footage you see fit to question. I don't even have to see it to reasonably conclude it's probably real.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 12:23 PM   #29
esspee
black goo

https://www.facebook.com/takeongravi...7181810724530/

the latest flying machine does an impromtu flight in France.

Nice.

Wonder if the pilot is on the traditional pilgrimage to Monaco that these new vtol pilot-inventors tend to like to make these days.

inb4 Monaco flight.
Old 22nd May 2017, 03:59 PM   #30
esspee
black goo

the jb-10 now with extra ooomph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B0bxj_Plf8
Old 22nd May 2017, 05:27 PM   #31
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.facebook.com/takeongravi...7181810724530/

the latest flying machine does an impromtu flight in France.

Nice.

Wonder if the pilot is on the traditional pilgrimage to Monaco that these new vtol pilot-inventors tend to like to make these days.

inb4 Monaco flight. ; )
Fun fact: Monaco isn't real. It's a legal fiction that was created in the 1950s by a consortium of French, Swiss, and Italian investors to compete with Luxembourg and the Vatican. A fake royal line was invented, history books were retconned, and an actor was hired to play "Prince Rainier III". The big score was convincing Grace Kelly to sign on. This lent verisimilitude and modern Hollywood glamour to the whole business.

There's always been a little Potemkin waterfront, but most of what you see of Monaco these days is just CGI. Before that it was matte paintings and rotoscope. The work used to go to ILM in California, but most of it is handled by massive Chinese render farms now. The Monaco Grand Prix is actually held in a tunnel complex carved into the Swiss Alps. All the teams have to sign an NDA.

I know my claim probably seems implausible to you, but I've studied the evidence closely, and I'm 99.999% certain it's true. Maybe next year I'll take some time off and visit the region in person, to confirm the truth.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:27 PM   #32
RussDill
Philosopher

It's not evidence that convinced me. Whenever I watch video of Monaco, it just looks off. It's clearly been faked.
And lines to code before I sleep
RussDill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 09:32 AM   #33
MuDPhuD
Muse

Seems appropriate here:

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/4h474n...inally-arrived
MuDPhuD is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 04:45 PM   #34
esspee
black goo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM4cdN1_y6k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTkZ4l5pVHY
Old 29th May 2017, 02:07 AM   #35
esspee
black goo

Now we have Alexandru Duru and his stand on top drone flying above solid
ground at a football game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Od8P2CcPk

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/36702...ria-guimaraes/

right, thats it - I'm off to the shop to buy the biggest box of wine i can carry
Old 29th May 2017, 12:50 PM   #36
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Fun fact: Monaco isn't real. It's a legal fiction that was created in the 1950s by a consortium of French, Swiss, and Italian investors to compete with Luxembourg and the Vatican. A fake royal line was invented, history books were retconned, and an actor was hired to play "Prince Rainier III". The big score was convincing Grace Kelly to sign on. This lent verisimilitude and modern Hollywood glamour to the whole business.

There's always been a little Potemkin waterfront, but most of what you see of Monaco these days is just CGI. Before that it was matte paintings and rotoscope. The work used to go to ILM in California, but most of it is handled by massive Chinese render farms now. The Monaco Grand Prix is actually held in a tunnel complex carved into the Swiss Alps. All the teams have to sign an NDA.

I know my claim probably seems implausible to you, but I've studied the evidence closely, and I'm 99.999% certain it's true. Maybe next year I'll take some time off and visit the region in person, to confirm the truth.
I believe!!! When I drove thru it in 2009 it was all hidden by green coloured screens and there were signs in French saying they were 'painting', yeah right!
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2017, 12:54 PM   #37
esspee
black goo

there is no stopping it now

its become a plague attacking the very foundations of reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI2j4KEPQI4

the 'flying things' ....real or not....are taking over
Old 29th May 2017, 01:18 PM   #38
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Now we have Alexandru Duru and his stand on top drone flying above solid
ground at a football game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Od8P2CcPk

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/36702...ria-guimaraes/

right, thats it - I'm off to the shop to buy the biggest box of wine i can carry
OK, so this is obviously a hoax... how?
Old 31st May 2017, 01:04 PM   #39
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
OK, so this is obviously a hoax... how?
this dude travels to portugal to do this show and the best video he can get is this one ( from his own channel)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmaXd5IPQa0

If you are reading this Alexandru, and want a cameraman who can be sure to actually capture your take off, actually keep you in frame, even zoom in for your landings, and NEVER, repeat never put a finger in front of the lens - please PM me.

I am capable of all of these skills and more, and i will work for free, as long as you pay my travel expenses, food and accommodation.

hit me up in the PM's bro - i am your man.
Old 31st May 2017, 01:12 PM   #40
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

this dude travels to portugal to do this show and the best video he can get is this one ( from his own channel)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmaXd5IPQa0

If you are reading this Alexandru, and want a cameraman who can be sure to actually capture your take off, actually keep you in frame, even zoom in for your landings, and NEVER, repeat never put a finger in front of the lens - please PM me.

I am capable of all of these skills and more, and i will work for free, as long as you pay my travel expenses, food and accommodation.

hit me up in the PM's bro - i am your man.
Except that the video in this reply is not the two videos at a Football event. How are the two videos at the Football event a hoax?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories