ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th April 2017, 01:39 PM   #41
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
St. Paul is speaking of Love, St Paul is not Love: God is love.
Except according to the bible, god is hate.

And lies.

And genocidal.

And deception.

And murderous.

And injust.

Are you rejecting bible god?
Old 19th April 2017, 01:41 PM   #42
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

God of love..............do you think he means Venus, or Aphrodite?

That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 01:42 PM   #43
Kid Eager
Philosopher

I think we're of on the wrong track here. Surely the OP is referring to Eros?
Old 19th April 2017, 01:45 PM   #44
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
Does that mean that love is God?
No, God is God.

(i know, i just blew your mind, it is cool, just remember that God loves you).
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 01:56 PM   #45
welshdean
6 NATIONS 2016
-MORAL VICTORS-

Allah be praised.
Ross: The lesbian and the monkey. Sounds like one of Aesop's fables.
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 01:59 PM   #46
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I'm more of a Muskrat Love kinda guy.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 01:59 PM   #47
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

No, God is God.

(i know, i just blew your mind, it is cool, just remember that God loves you).
So God is love + (X)?
Love is only a part of God?
What is the rest of God? Is that where all the jealousy, anger and vengefulness comes from? If we are made in His image, that would make sense. But then he isn't perfect and pure, he is made up of a lot of contradicting emotions and stuff...

I think I'll just stick with the rational conclusion that God is just a human invention from ancient times when people had no better means of explaining the vagaries of life than to ascribe agency to natural processes.

Invert the prominent diaphragm!!!

I have eaten breakfast and have not written an Epistle to any Church. - dejudge.
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 02:00 PM   #48
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post

And lies.

And genocidal.

And deception.

And murderous.

And injust.

'What Would God Do?'

Well, if I were to do what god would do to people I dislike, I'd be trying to drown them. A lot of trouble, that.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 02:22 PM   #49
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I think I'll just stick with the rational conclusion that God is just a human invention from ancient times when people had no better means of explaining the vagaries of life than to ascribe agency to natural processes.
Hey, super! This is not really the thread to do that, but that has not ever stopped an atheist from injecting it into just about every possible thread. I always say that atheists are the vegans of the religious world. How do you know someone is a vegan atheist? Don't worry, they'll *********** tell you!

But here we are speaking of god's love:

Quote:
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Corn 13;13
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 02:30 PM   #50
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Hey, super! This is not really the thread to do that, but that has not ever stopped an atheist from injecting it into just about every possible thread. I always say that atheists are the vegans of the religious world. How do you know someone is a vegan atheist? Don't worry, they'll *********** tell you!
As opposed to those notoriously reticent evangelists...

Last edited by TraneWreck; 19th April 2017 at 02:32 PM.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 02:41 PM   #51
Thor 2
Master Poster

And lies.

And genocidal.

And deception.

And murderous.

And injust.

Yes he does all those things and is going to send you to hell for eternity if you don't believe in him. But he loves you!

George Carlin, (may he rest in peace), said it best.
Old 19th April 2017, 02:44 PM   #52
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Good questions and welcome to the site.

There certainly is a God of Love, for as the saints wrote:
Yeah, mind ****-ing Abraham into almost murdering his son was an act that just oozes affection.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 02:52 PM   #53
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
As opposed to those notoriously reticent evangelists...
Not many of those around here! Mostly the atheist proselytizing around these parts.

Heck, I was in one thread where a new guy posted his first post about "God's love" or something and was met with little but scathing, over-the-top vitriol.

Oh well, when you know God's love:

Quote:
Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and celebrate, because great is your reward in heaven;
Old 19th April 2017, 02:55 PM   #54
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Not many of those around here! Mostly the atheist proselytizing around these parts.

Heck, I was in one thread where a new guy posted his first post about "God's love" or something and was met with little but scathing, over-the-top vitriol.

Oh well, when you know God's love:
Can't imagine why people would be skeptical of silly old stories on an International Skeptics Forum. Truly a mystery.

When an atheist knocks on your door, let me know...
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 02:56 PM   #55
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
And god so loved the world, he just forgave his creations for acting in the manner he knew they would anyway.

Then, he got another hobby.
Or was inconvenienced for a weekend. Whichever you like.
Old 19th April 2017, 03:03 PM   #56
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Is jesus dead?

Corn 13;13
The gospel of Corn. WTF is that? And why is there a random semi-colon?

Find me in Blob 10,45.3
Old 19th April 2017, 03:05 PM   #57
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
Can't imagine why people would be skeptical of silly old stories on an International Skeptics Forum. Truly a mystery.

When an atheist knocks on your door, let me know...
Skeptical? Not a word I would use for the thread...

How about when they pass out anti-christian literature at the Daley center, because they did that, just letting you know.

Quote:
But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous
Drizzling in Chicago today, so maybe a bit more rain on the Righteous today, hmmm?

Old 19th April 2017, 03:09 PM   #58
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

How about when they pass out anti-christian literature at the Daley center, because they did that, just letting you know.
Are you gonna be okay?

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 03:12 PM   #59
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Good questions and welcome to the site.

There certainly is a God of Love, for as the saints wrote:
That's a grand passage. Paul was definitely having a good day when he wrote that one, but while it talks of love, it does not talk of God. Conclude if you please that God is love or that there's a loving god, but this is not that.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 03:13 PM   #60
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Are you gonna be okay?
Oh golly, I hope so.

Truth be told, I took it and told them to "have a blessed day!" and then took my gum and put it in the pamphlet and dropped it in the trash. Might have been a bit of a big meany, sorry.

Oh well, have a blessed day!
Old 19th April 2017, 03:17 PM   #61
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Oh golly, I hope so.

Truth be told, I took it and told them to "have a blessed day!" and then took my gum and put it in the pamphlet and dropped it in the trash. Might have been a bit of a big meany, sorry.

Oh well, have a blessed day!
You showed them!

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 03:26 PM   #62
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

You showed them!
No, I did not show them Christ's mercy and God's love.

And isn't that what this thread is all about?
Old 19th April 2017, 03:32 PM   #63
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Don't feel bad, most self-professed Christians fail at that constantly. Can't even demonstrate such a thing exists.

So don't fret your failure.

Tom McGuane
Old 19th April 2017, 03:51 PM   #64
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
I wonder why, whenever the "God is Love" premise is brought up, those that support it can only dredge up scriptural quotations as "evidence" for their position. Why not present real-life examples? Are modern-day instances of God being Love so scarce that moldy text cherry-picked from ancient tomes (tomes which, by the way, also portray God as a fickle, cruel and anxious beast) remains the best possible testimony?
Old 19th April 2017, 04:06 PM   #65
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Dunno. You seem to think it is about your Corn gospel. I have no idea what that is. Are you an acolyte of george the corn proponent? What?
Old 19th April 2017, 04:22 PM   #66
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Wait, God loves me? I'm a guy? Is God gay? That might explain a few things, now that I think of it.
Meanwhile, I'm waiting with bated breath to see of the OP comes back. Or maybe baited breath, I get confused.
Old 19th April 2017, 04:33 PM   #67
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
I wonder why, whenever the "God is Love" premise is brought up, those that support it can only dredge up scriptural quotations as "evidence" for their position. Why not present real-life examples? Are modern-day instances of God being Love so scarce that moldy text cherry-picked from ancient tomes (tomes which, by the way, also portray God as a fickle, cruel and anxious beast) remains the best possible testimony?
Good gravy, what a glorious notion! I had thought that the op wanted a more theoretical, a more liturgical, a more rarified but still sanctified discussion!

What you are suggesting is an old fashioned witnessing, praise Jesus!

I am all for it! Who else?
Old 19th April 2017, 04:38 PM   #68
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Skeptical? Not a word I would use for the thread...
Well, I wouldn't expect the credulous to know it when it was in front of them.

Quote:
Then they have made up but a fraction of the global harassment from obnoxious religious folks.

If you totaled up all the well-meaning activists with clipboards on Michigan Ave., you'd generate a mere iota of the effort of one misguided Mormon teen on his way to Guatemala.

Quote:
Drizzling in Chicago today, so maybe a bit more rain on the Righteous today, hmmm?

I mean, maybe that's stone cold in your world, but it just sounds daffy.

Last edited by TraneWreck; 19th April 2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 19th April 2017, 05:10 PM   #69
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Nope.

Witnessing is just someone expressing their feelings about God. To an already-drank-the-koolaid witness. And, of course, a human that loves God is no example whatsoever that God is Love.

Just give me an example of a non-cherry-picked-taken-out-of-scriptural-context-text evidence that God is Love. A situation we all recognize where it's obvious which part is God, which part is Love and which factors exclude mere worldly explanations for the outcome. No Bible quotes, no analogies or metaphors, no confusing belief with fact, just a straightforward display of a deity embodying love.

Last edited by gerdbonk; 19th April 2017 at 05:12 PM.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 05:17 PM   #70
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Johanabrahams View Post
Brothers and sisters and children

Is there something like that . . . .and if there is . . .what is His Love to the human beings.

Just to leave them in their misery . . .an earth dying or is there more to Love?

Maybe a Love that we do not understand because we never ventured far enough?

Do we need it or are we complete without it?

Was what we are really the best that He could accomplish?

Love Johan
What do you need from the god of love?
Old 19th April 2017, 05:34 PM   #71
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
Nope.

Witnessing is just someone expressing their feelings about God. To an already-drank-the-koolaid witness. And, of course, a human that loves God is no example whatsoever that God is Love.

Just give me an example of a non-cherry-picked-taken-out-of-scriptural-context-text evidence that God is Love. A situation we all recognize where it's obvious which part is God, which part is Love and which factors exclude mere worldly explanations for the outcome. No Bible quotes, no analogies or metaphors, no confusing belief with fact, just a straightforward display of a deity embodying love.
Wow, you sure put up an incredible number of conditions on it. Like a lot! Like so many that there is no way that anyone could satisfy it, in fact it is almost like you don't want to consider the proof.

Let's do it!

Who will be the judges? Can't be me, or you... Or any of the other kool aid drinkers, so that excludes everyone in this thread.... Except the op!

Op will you judge?

Fantastic!
Old 19th April 2017, 05:56 PM   #72
Thor 2
Master Poster

Tell me The Big Dog does this make sense or strike a cord with you?

Quote:
A God of Love
Brothers and sisters and children

Is there something like that . . . .and if there is . . .what is His Love to the human beings.

Just to leave them in their misery . . .an earth dying or is there more to Love?

Maybe a Love that we do not understand because we never ventured far enough?

Do we need it or are we complete without it?

Was what we are really the best that He could accomplish?

Love Johan

Doesn't make much sense to me and the OP has just dropped this gem and flown off it seems. So maybe you can help?
Old 19th April 2017, 06:48 PM   #73
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

What is love?, baby don't hurt me, No more.
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 06:49 PM   #74
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Good gravy, what a glorious notion! I had thought that the op wanted a more theoretical, a more liturgical, a more rarified but still sanctified discussion!

I am all for it! Who else?
Tough. Anyone could elaborate on the sources for your god of hate from your own storybook.

Except that you reject your own storybook. You claim the book is not in any way true.
Old 19th April 2017, 06:49 PM   #75
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

And lies.

And genocidal.

And deception.

And murderous.

And injust.

I got this one, Pol Pot, Gosatheizm,
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 06:55 PM   #76
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Curious that people choose to bring their grudges from the most catastrophic thread in atheist history.

I love you guys.
Old 19th April 2017, 06:56 PM   #77
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Wow, you sure put up an incredible number of conditions on it. Like a lot! Like so many that there is no way that anyone could satisfy it, in fact it is almost like you don't want to consider the proof.
Wow, it's almost like you don't have any proof to show!

Like any good evaluation, conditions are placed to prevent falsehoods from being accepted as proof. Those who believe in falsehoods frequently complain about the insurmountable burden of excessive conditions "so many that there is no way anyone could satisfy it!" "Stop oppressing me!"

Let's say I claim that the sky is blue because the atmosphere scatters blue light more than any other color due to its shorter wavelength.Then you put the following conditions on a proof: No quotations from ancient science writings, no analogies or metaphors, no confusing belief with fact, just a straightforward display of blue light waves scattering in the atmosphere.

My response would be: Wow, we better have a lot more controls than that! We need to define blue light, define atmosphere, define a light source, describe how we'll eliminate contamination from other light sources, determine what constitutes a successful trial, and many more items that aren't crossing my mind at the moment. In fact, it would not be unusual for the development of a strict protocol to take far, far longer than the test itself.

In fact it is almost like we don't want any nonsense whatsoever to be mistaken as proof.

Quote:
Let's do it!

Who will be the judges? Can't be me, or you... Or any of the other kool aid drinkers, so that excludes everyone in this thread.... Except the op!

Op will you judge?
Judges? Ah, yes. You believe that all things must be judged. The only way to determine truth is that some wise, independent-minded being must scrupulously observe the participants and, after careful consideration of the merits of each presentation, piously award the golden laurel to one faction or the other, followed by polite clapping from the peanut gallery.

It's not a contest.

It's not a poll, an argument, debate, or gymnastics meet.

The protocol defines what constitutes a successful outcome.

Present a situation that you think will prove God is Love. Should be easy, since, well, God is Love, right? Then we can continue refining conditions to make sure no nonsense slithers in to foul the result.
Old 19th April 2017, 09:14 PM   #78
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Corn 13;13
This is not the thread for sticking to rational conclusions? Why not?

And again you quote Paul as if he had some special knowledge about God's nature.

I could claim to have a vision too you know, anyone can claim to have had a vision, but why would anyone believe it?

Will you acknowledge that it is at least possible that Paul's vision was not from God? It certainly contradicted most of the stuff in the Old Testament about God's law...

I have eaten breakfast and have not written an Epistle to any Church. - dejudge.
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 09:32 PM   #79
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

This is not the thread for sticking to rational conclusions? Why not?

And again you quote Paul as if he had some special knowledge about God's nature.

I could claim to have a vision too you know, anyone can claim to have had a vision, but why would anyone believe it?

Will you acknowledge that it is at least possible that Paul's vision was not from God? It certainly contradicted most of the stuff in the Old Testament about God's law...
God loves you
Old 19th April 2017, 10:10 PM   #80
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

God loves you
That's nice. Everyone else thinks I'm a ****.

I'd be interested in learning how you know that God loves me. Where did this insight into God's love life come from?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy