ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Old 18th July 2017, 04:27 AM   #321
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
You read it both times, but you are still asking someone else (me) what it meant?
Take this example:

Person 1: Do you have any evidence that this "gravity" thing exists?
Person 2: Are you seriously asking me to prove to you that things fall towards the ground?

It's not that person 2 didn't understand. It's that person 1's question is so silly and ridiculous, and would indicate such a profound ignorance that person 2 doesn't believe the question is genuine.
Old 18th July 2017, 04:28 AM   #322
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Lol
Again, since we're talking about campaigns paying for political dirt. You're looking for a campaign that paid for political dirt. Easy as 2+2=4
Lol

Answer the question: are you really unaware that this sort of thing goes on? I ask because I don't believe for a second that you don't know for a fact that this is the case. You'd just toying with me, and I'm not playing.
Old 18th July 2017, 04:39 AM   #323
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Lol

Answer the question: are you really unaware that this sort of thing goes on? I ask because I don't believe for a second that you don't know for a fact that this is the case. You'd just toying with me, and I'm not playing.
You said it would be easy to find. Like Meadmaker I've never seen anyone pay for political dirt. I've seen it come freely many times, at least the receiver never indicated a cost. Same thing seems to have happen with jr.

You said it happens all the time, should be easy to find. I can't believe you're going to weasel out of this!
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 04:44 AM   #324
Argumemnon
World Maker

You said it would be easy to find.
Well, no, I didn't. But I also said I would only do it after you answered my question.

Quote:
Like Meadmaker I've never seen anyone pay for political dirt.
I don't believe you.

Quote:
You said it happens all the time, should be easy to find.
See, one of these things is not like the other. It's your interpretation. Kindly refrain from projecting that onto me.
Old 18th July 2017, 05:00 AM   #325
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Shall I spell it out for you again just to watch you weasel out of it?

Campaigns paying for political dirt is what you're looking for.
You're confused; campaigns paying for political dirt isn't illegal (unless it was obtained illegally, of course). What's at issue is cases where they didn't pay for information and the FEC ruled that it was therefore a campaign contribution, because information has value. They have made such a ruling on contact lists, polling information, and campaign material. It turns out that one important factor is if someone else paid to collect the information. Good luck with that one, since Junior believed the information was coming from the Russian government.

But hey, Junior will not be going to jail, regardless, even though avoiding the implied quid pro quo for a foreign government surely falls within the intent of the law. But regardless of that outcome, 64% of Americans have been given more proof that TrumpCo is a lying pack of scumbags.

Last edited by WilliamSeger; 18th July 2017 at 05:09 AM.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 05:05 AM   #326
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
You're confused; campaigns paying for political dirt isn't illegal (unless it was obtained illegally, of course). What's at issue is cases where they didn't pay for information and the FEC ruled that it was therefore a campaign contribution, because information has value. They have made such a ruling on contact lists, polling information, and campaign material. It turns out that one important factor is if someone else paid to collect the information. Good luck with that one.

But hey, Junior will not be going to jail, regardless, even though avoiding the implied quid pro quo for a foreign government surely falls within the intent of the law. But regardless of that outcome, 64% of Americans have been given more proof that TrumpCo is a lying pack of scumbags.
Then again, his approval rating is up at 87% among Republicans.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/203198/pr...ald-trump.aspx

It really is quite remarkable....
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 05:07 AM   #327
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

It's quite amazing that what group you belong to is more important than the larger issues. It's wonderfully petty.
Old 18th July 2017, 05:11 AM   #328
Octavo
Master Poster

You said it would be easy to find. Like Meadmaker I've never seen anyone pay for political dirt. I've seen it come freely many times, at least the receiver never indicated a cost. Same thing seems to have happen with jr.

You said it happens all the time, should be easy to find. I can't believe you're going to weasel out of this!

Before I post an example, I would like you first to define "political dirt".
Perhaps you could list some of the things you would accept as constituting "political dirt".
Old 18th July 2017, 05:12 AM   #329
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
Perhaps you could list some of the things you would accept as constituting "political dirt".
Ah, good. You're expecting a moving of the goalposts. You've learned well, my young apprentice.
Old 18th July 2017, 05:17 AM   #330
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

87% of Republicans isn't enough to be re-elected.
Old 18th July 2017, 05:20 AM   #331
Octavo
Master Poster

Ah, good. You're expecting a moving of the goalposts. You've learned well, my young apprentice.

Lurking has its benefits. It's only a pity that theprestige isn't here, so we could all re-live the definition of common words argument. That seemed to go on forever.

Last edited by Octavo; 18th July 2017 at 05:34 AM. Reason: corrections
Octavo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 05:37 AM   #332
logger
Suspended

You're confused; campaigns paying for political dirt isn't illegal (unless it was obtained illegally, of course). What's at issue is cases where they didn't pay for information and the FEC ruled that it was therefore a campaign contribution, because information has value. They have made such a ruling on contact lists, polling information, and campaign material. It turns out that one important factor is if someone else paid to collect the information. Good luck with that one, since Junior believed the information was coming from the Russian government.

Lol

I never said it was illegal and somehow I'm confused?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 05:39 AM   #333
logger
Suspended

Might be better to post your example, then all can decide if it's political dirt that a campaign paid for.
Old 18th July 2017, 05:44 AM   #334
Argumemnon
World Maker

Might be better to post your example, then all can decide if it's political dirt that a campaign paid for.
Yeah you shouldn't telegraph those goalpost movements.
Old 18th July 2017, 05:52 AM   #335
Octavo
Master Poster

Indeed.

The dancing continues. This is why I enjoy reading these threads, but I seldom participate...
Old 18th July 2017, 05:54 AM   #336
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Lol

I never said it was illegal and somehow I'm confused?
Yup, you're confused if you aren't aware that campaigns do pay outside consultants and companies to do oppo research, perfect legally, which pretty clearly establishes that it's a "thing of value."
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 06:06 AM   #337
Octavo
Master Poster

Yup, you're confused if you aren't aware that campaigns do pay outside consultants and companies to do oppo research, perfect legally, which pretty clearly establishes that it's a "thing of value."
You're giving the game away when the squirming is fun to watch. I wonder if he has bothered to actually read the wiki article on Opposition research yet.
Old 18th July 2017, 06:10 AM   #338
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Trying to argue about the value of political dirt is already moving the goal post; the only serious argument is whether or not it's protected in this case by the First Amendment. IANAL, but it appears to me that that argument might hold with respect to the information itself, in general at least, but the FEC has ruled that any resources expended in compiling that information is a separate "thing of value."
Old 18th July 2017, 06:11 AM   #339
logger
Suspended

How is it goalpost moving?

You're asked to put up proof that campaigns pay for political dirt. How am I suppose to define it for you? You said it happens all the time, put up the examples so we can establish a value.
Old 18th July 2017, 06:13 AM   #340
logger
Suspended

You're giving the game away when the squirming is fun to watch. I wonder if he has bothered to actually read the wiki article on Opposition research yet.
I've asked a simple question, that I've repeated many times and somehow I'm squirming?
Old 18th July 2017, 06:17 AM   #341
logger
Suspended

then it should be easy to establish that value. Of course this information was free so there's the added burden of putting a value on something that was free.
Old 18th July 2017, 06:21 AM   #342
Argumemnon
World Maker

How is it goalpost moving?
Oh, you'll see.

Quote:
You're asked to put up proof that campaigns pay for political dirt. How am I suppose to define it for you?
This isn't even the same conversation, logger. Please pay attention.
Old 18th July 2017, 06:23 AM   #343
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
87% of Republicans isn't enough to be re-elected.
Why not ?

Unless the Democratic Party come up with a genuinely enticing alternative, IMO there is a real risk that Democratic Party supporters will stay at home. Throw in a halfway credible Green Party candidate and that could be worse.

OTOH the GOP will be solidly behind their candidate AND they'll likely turn out to vote as opposed to staying at home and engaging in social media.

Someone on this board (I forget who) suggested that independents tend to favour the GOP so if that's the case a decent chunk of them will vote for the GOP candidate (33% actually actively approve of him).

Add in a bit of voter suppression and/or electoral roll purging in some key states and the U.S. could have another electoral college win/popular vote loss.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 06:26 AM   #344
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

then it should be easy to establish that value. Of course this information was free so there's the added burden of putting a value on something that was free.
"This information was free" in exchange for considering repealing Magnitsky Act sanctions, which to anyone of integrity makes it even worse than paying cash for it.
Old 18th July 2017, 06:33 AM   #345
logger
Suspended

Trying to argue about the value of political dirt is already moving the goal post; the only serious argument is whether or not it's protected in this case by the First Amendment. IANAL, but it appears to me that that argument might hold with respect to the information itself, in general at least, but the FEC has ruled that any resources expended in compiling that information is a separate "thing of value."
No, the real question is if information is freely given, does it have a monetary value? Can the court assign it a value and who is going to determine that amount?
Old 18th July 2017, 06:34 AM   #346
logger
Suspended

"This information was free" in exchange for considering repealing Magnitsky Act sanctions, which to anyone of integrity makes it even worse than paying cash for it.
Except the lawyer didn't have the information. Oh well.

Even if she did have it, was there a serious consideration? Oh well.

Last edited by logger; 18th July 2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 18th July 2017, 06:38 AM   #347
logger
Suspended

Oh, you'll see.
Lol

Quote:
This isn't even the same conversation, logger. Please pay attention.
Lol
You continue to feign ignorance of the question asked and somehow I'm not paying attention.
Old 18th July 2017, 06:38 AM   #348
Octavo
Master Poster

You're asked to put up proof that campaigns pay for political dirt. How am I suppose to define it for you? You said it happens all the time, put up the examples so we can establish a value.
How about this?

Originally Posted by wikipedia
In the 1992 presidential campaign, Republicans reported that they spent $6 million on a "state of the art (opposition research) war machine" to investigate Bill Clinton, who was running against George H. W. Bush. In the same election, the Clinton campaign paid more than $100,000 to a private investigator to look into allegations about Clinton's womanizing, investigating more than two dozen women.
Source
Old 18th July 2017, 06:39 AM   #349
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Your confusion about the campaign finance law is irrelevant; if a charge is made on that, it will be for soliciting an in-kind contribution. Furthermore, the lawyer did offer information but Deal Artist Junior didn't think it was worth what she was asking.
Old 18th July 2017, 06:42 AM   #350
Argumemnon
World Maker

If you meet with a hitman to get your wife killed and it turns out the hitman is a cop, does it matter that you didn't get what you wanted?

Even if she did have it, was there a serious consideration? Oh well.[/quote]

Quote:
You continue to feign ignorance of the question asked and somehow I'm not paying attention.
How am I feigning ignorance? What are you even babbling about?
Old 18th July 2017, 06:51 AM   #351
d4m10n
Master Poster

All things Trump + Russia Part 2

Logger: Why are you so confident that the Russian lawyer did not provide any information to the campaign?

ETA: https://www.google.com/search?q=%22A...stic+folder%22

Last edited by d4m10n; 18th July 2017 at 06:56 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 06:57 AM   #352
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

No, the real question is if information is freely given, does it have a monetary value? Can the court assign it a value and who is going to determine that amount?
Any information the Russians (or anyone else) had could have been "freely given" to the press, if their only intent was to make the dirt public to hurt Hillary. But we're talking about a secret meeting to discuss quid pro quo, not "freely" giving the information, and the idea that a court would need to put a dollar amount on it is silly.
Old 18th July 2017, 07:01 AM   #353
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
Six months in office and lies have been flowing from the White House like a raging river. Nothing but controversy, turmoil, lies, and chaos since Trump was elected president.
It hides their agenda and successes very effectively.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 07:35 AM   #354
logger
Suspended

Any information the Russians (or anyone else) had could have been "freely given" to the press, if their only intent was to make the dirt public to hurt Hillary. But we're talking about a secret meeting to discuss quid pro quo, not "freely" giving the information, and the idea that a court would need to put a dollar amount on it is silly.
No, I think we're talking about a lady who was making the rounds.
Old 18th July 2017, 07:36 AM   #355
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Logger: Why are you so confident that the Russian lawyer did not provide any information to the campaign?

ETA: https://www.google.com/search?q=%22A...stic+folder%22
Yes, I've read that tid bit. Certainly would be nice to see what it was.
Old 18th July 2017, 07:37 AM   #356
logger
Suspended

If you meet with a hitman to get your wife killed and it turns out the hitman is a cop, does it matter that you didn't get what you wanted?

Even if she did have it, was there a serious consideration? Oh well.
Interesting analogy, you seem to be quite invested.
Quote:
How am I feigning ignorance? What are you even babbling about?
I don't think you would understand.
Old 18th July 2017, 07:39 AM   #357
Argumemnon
World Maker

I don't think you would understand.
Lol

In other words you just wrote that and didn't think I'd call your bluff.
Old 18th July 2017, 07:42 AM   #358
logger
Suspended

How about this?

Source
You're getting closer. So another question would be, what is the actual information worth? Meaning the oppo team obviously adds what they think their time is worth. So would the authorities have to figure out what the actual information is worth? Since this non information came from a private source and not an oppo team.
Old 18th July 2017, 07:43 AM   #359
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

I'd like them to add a category: how many Republicans have dropped their party affiliation and now call themselves independent? More than a few people have dropped out of the GOP Party. That would tend to concentrate Trump supporters and a shrinking denominator could explain a rising approval rating.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 07:43 AM   #360
logger
Suspended

Lol

In other words you just wrote that and didn't think I'd call your bluff.
No, in other words it's a waste of time constantly going over ridiculous things with you. You simply cannot flow with conversation. Haven't you been told this before?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics