ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atheism , atheists , immorality , morality

Old 12th August 2017, 12:01 PM   #281
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Me either. You're not any good at it.

Good question, but complain you do -- constantly.
While I am flattered at the obsessive attention...
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:08 PM   #282
StackOverflow
New Blood

Kinda sad, the "Top 9/11 debunker" is unable to understand: "Does not believe in god"
StackOverflow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:17 PM   #283
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Which obsessive attention is that? The one where I reply to your posts every few months?
Old 12th August 2017, 01:20 PM   #284
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, pretty clear that I "get" the comparison, I am just explaining that it is utterly insipid when looked at it in any depth whatsoever.

But hey, use it if you want.
OK, so maybe you don't "get" it after all. No problem, you can probably live without it.

Hans
Old 12th August 2017, 01:30 PM   #285
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
OK, so maybe you don't "get" it after all. No problem, you can probably live without it.

Hans
Well other than explaining why it is simplistic, insipid nonsense in detail in this thread, only to have have it hand waved away by my coterie of admirers.

Oh well, off to the forum where people dedicated to not collecting stamps repeatedly tell people "I geuss u aint getting it"

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations

Last edited by The Big Dog; 12th August 2017 at 01:33 PM.
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 05:28 PM   #286
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I have already answered a virtually identical question.
I missed it. Could you repeat your answer please?
Old 12th August 2017, 05:45 PM   #287
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Which obsessive attention is that? The one where I reply to your posts every few months?
Yeah, he tried that same thing on me a while back. I suppose my even mentioning him in a post means I'm also obsessively talking about him, huh?
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 05:57 PM   #288
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Originally Posted by StackOverflow View Post
Kinda sad, the "Top 9/11 debunker" is unable to understand: "Does not believe in god"
I think he understands it just fine and has chosen his current course for whatever reason
---------------------------------------------
Studies conclude theists are the most immoral people on earth.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 08:54 AM   #289
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I missed it. Could you repeat your answer please?
Post 219
Old 13th August 2017, 10:00 AM   #290
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

I see Illusory Superiority raises it's canine head again.
Oh well.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 10:09 AM   #291
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Yeah, he tried that same thing on me a while back. I suppose my even mentioning him in a post means I'm also obsessively talking about him, huh?
Old 14th August 2017, 04:21 AM   #292
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Post 219
Not very good at following instructions, are you? I asked you to repeat your answer, not merely direct me to where you think you answered it before.

I take it then that your "answer" to the question is

More than None
which is as non an answer as any I've seen.

Perhaps it didn't occur to you that I am asking a different question to the one you think you're answering. I want to know what proportion of atheists you believe are members of atheist organisations. I don't care that it's more than zero - that is so self-evidently obvious that as a response it is utterly juvenile.

You have identified a certain number of atheist organisations. Do you have any clue how many people worldwide belong to them? Do you have any clue how many atheists there are who are not members of such organisations? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you have no clue. So I'm going to tell you. The number of atheists who are members of atheist organisations is very, very small.

In other words, there are a lot more atheists in the world who do not identify with such organisations - to the extent that expounding on the number of atheist organisations in the world is utterly immaterial and only serves to obfuscate.

Now - do you have any idea how many Christians there are across the world who identify as members of Christian organisations - by which I mean churches? Once again I very much doubt that you have any clue at all, but I can assure you that the number is very, very large. The number of Christians in the world who do not identify as members of Christian organisations is extremely small.

Compare, if you would. Most atheists do not identify as members of atheist organisations. Most Christians do identify as members of Christian organisations.

What does that tell you? Also, please tell me what you think my point is.
Old 14th August 2017, 06:09 AM   #293
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Not very good at following instructions, are you? I asked you to repeat your answer SNIP.
I was instructed and I disobeyed you see folks.

There are not enough roll eyes for that kind of nonsense
Old 14th August 2017, 02:13 PM   #294
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

OH! Ohhhhhhh....who knows what we are seeing?

A bit of a dead giveaway added by me....
Dear me, I forgot how that word effects you. I hope we can salvage this before the eyeballs kick in. Go get the salts out while I edit it to a more palatable form that won't melt any snowflakes . . .
Oh, then may I assume that you are keeping the admittedly misleading title as a skeptical exercise for the reader? A bit of a lesson in journalistic click bait? If so, nicely done.

It is a shame when articles use headlines that are misleading and we should draw attention to those misleading headlines. My bad for not getting your purpose from the start.

Cheers.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 03:04 PM   #295
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Dear me, I forgot how that word effects you. I hope we can salvage this before the eyeballs kick in. Go get the salts out while I edit it to a more palatable form that won't melt any snowflakes . . .
Oh, then may I assume that you are keeping the admittedly misleading title as a skeptical exercise for the reader? A bit of a lesson in journalistic click bait? If so, nicely done.

It is a shame when articles use headlines that are misleading and we should draw attention to those misleading headlines. My bad for not getting your purpose from the start.

Cheers.
You may assume all you wish, but perhaps you may wish to consider the famous quote about assuming and leave the "ME" out of it.
Old 14th August 2017, 09:29 PM   #296
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

You may assume all you wish, but perhaps you may wish to consider the famous quote about assuming and leave the "ME" out of it.
That's a cute way of calling me an ass. Thanks!

Are you not trying to call attention to the misleading headline? Are you not trying to promote skeptical enquiry into what the study can actual support? What is the point besides finding cute ways to call people names?

He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 02:55 AM   #297
David Mo
Graduate Poster

I don’t understand why this study (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-017-0151 ) stirs so much uproar. The article basically shows how the intuitive prejudices are strongly implemented even in those than suffer them. Do you remember Michael Jackson’s obsession with whiten his skin? Do you know that many women justify macho violence even against themselves?

The breadth and force of prejudices depend from many causes specially their visualization in media. Those that are massively identified as enemies or dangerous in visual media are considered uncritically as public enemies by hughe majorities of people. Those minorities that are presented as good people are considered good people. Those that are presented as one of ours are one of ours, etc. Maybe the prejudice has other causes but almost ever is reinforced by media, specially visual media.

But this reinforcement is easier when the represented people are minority and not easy to contrast with the stereotype, that is to say a hidden character. This and other related articles (https://www2.psych.ubc.ca/~ara/Manus...apter_2012.pdf, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22477103 ) also show that atheists are better evaluated when they are an important minority and easily identifiable as neighbours, public personalities, etc.

Some conspicuous atheists (Dawkins) think that increasing visibility would be beneficial to the image of atheists and encourages them to come out of the closet. He is basically right but the thing is not so easy for diverse causes:

1. Atheism is blamed in many countries, even legally. The situation is similar to gay people.
2. Even gay people have a better image in media than atheists. It is easy to remember a film with a sympathetic gay character. I don’t remember a film when an atheist was presented as a normal person. They are complicated and tormented persons at very least. They are definitely not one of ours.
3. Finally, the atheist questions our basic beliefs as believers. A Jewish, a black man, a gay person can be similar to us. They can be religious people. Atheists cannot and therefore they are simply demonic. A Jewish can be different from us; an atheist is the opposite of us.

This is why we, atheists, have a difficult task to countering the prejudices.

I see some surprising things in the article that we are commenting. Above all I don’t understand the question in the test. Gervais et al. have chosen a strange case of distrust: violent crimes. This example cannot be checked with the particular experience of the subjects. No one of the subjects to the test has presumably known a serial killer or a so violent teacher. Therefore the answers will be more media-dependent than other more day a day examples. That is to say it is more dependent of stereotypes and not the real experience of the subjects. I think that that undermines a little the conclusions of the article.
David Mo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2017, 03:05 AM   #298
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I was instructed and I disobeyed you see folks.

There are not enough roll eyes for that kind of nonsense
Uh-huh. So you are openly declining to answer my questions.

And you wonder why no-one takes you seriously.
Old 15th August 2017, 06:07 AM   #299
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Uh-huh. So you are openly declining to answer my questions.

And you wonder why no-one takes you seriously.
whatever floats your boat.

A tip: if you want people to engage with you, one may wish to avoid declaring that they have failed to follow your "instructions" as if they are your *****

Last edited by The Big Dog; 15th August 2017 at 06:17 AM.
Old 15th August 2017, 03:29 PM   #300
Thor 2
Master Poster

A tip: if you want people to engage with you, one may wish to avoid declaring that they have failed to follow your "instructions" as if they are your *****

Another artful sidestep by The Big Dog. We will now shift the emphasis to the implication that arth "instructed" you. We ignore the fact that he originally just "asked" you.
Old 15th August 2017, 04:45 PM   #301
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Excellent tip!
I have no problem recommending that you start following your own advice at your earliest opportunity.
Old 15th August 2017, 04:59 PM   #302
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Another artful sidestep by The Big Dog. We will now shift the emphasis to the implication that arth "instructed" you. We ignore the fact that he originally just "asked" you.
I already answered the original question and was blown away by the mind blowing rudeness that I didn't follow his "instructions"
Old 15th August 2017, 05:00 PM   #303
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Excellent tip!
I have no problem recommending that you start following your own advice at your earliest opportunity.
Old 15th August 2017, 06:55 PM   #304
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Stop stalking me, you stalking stalker who stalks !
Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM   #305
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by David Mo View Post
I donít understand why this study (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-017-0151 ) stirs so much uproar. The article basically shows how the intuitive prejudices are strongly implemented even in those than suffer them. Do you remember Michael Jacksonís obsession with whiten his skin? Do you know that many women justify macho violence even against themselves?
The only uproar is that the OP is pretending that the study isn't about bias or prejudice.

Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM   #306
David Mo
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
The only uproar is that the OP is pretending that the study isn't about bias or prejudice.
Yes. But you cannot teach to read correctly to someone that wants only read what he wants read.
David Mo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy