ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th August 2017, 04:17 AM   #121
sackett
Illuminator

If you've never owned a cat, is your safety from lion attack infinite?

A&F? Come on, Kumar, address some of these burning questions.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 05:19 PM   #122
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
I am thinking on line of hormesis type affect i.e. Low dose stimulation and high dose inhibition of physiological activities. One more things; normal dose should mean normal phy. activities.

Now, suppose due to high dose or say due to constant and chronic higher unhealthful exposures our defence mechanism or stress/fight or flight mechanism get compromised(inhibited phy. activities) how we will be saved from sudden and severe exposures? May it be Cardiac arrest or coming a lion in front or otherwise. Probably these mechenisms save us but if compromised/inhibited may not save us.

You must had read one short story: One person was daily shouting that lion came lion came as a joke. When people came to save him, no lion was there. After few such events, one day lion really came and then he shouted again. But all felt he is just joking ot telling lie and so no one came to same him. Then lion killed him. Same, you can apply here. Good luck.
Over here, it is called "The Boy Who Cried Wolf!!!" We all know it!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 07:57 PM   #123
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

CONCLUSION
There seem to be relevant abnormality of stress hormones esp Cortisol's bio-availability(free vs bound cortisol) for it. Somewhat Stress hormone's actions inhibition vs stimulation.

It looks logical that when any understanding is not clear in A&F, some logics in form of somewhat circumstantial evidences, benefit of doubt etc. can also be practical(as also accounted in Court Judgement). Moreover, I think all studies are not absolute but majority or sufficient consideration are taken as in alpositive. So it should also be applicable l with all understandings--more or less depending on their impacts, benefits and harms.

I think, we have discussed much and nothing more contributive to OP can further be discussed so thanks to all for your contributions.

Bye. See you bit later.
Old 11th August 2017, 08:18 PM   #124
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

....... Hypoglycemia Unawareness, autonomic neuropathy, abnormality in counter-regulatory, homeostatic and fight or flight response etc. all should be relevant to my logical feelings.
Old 12th August 2017, 02:03 AM   #125
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I think, we have discussed much and nothing more contributive to OP can further be discussed so thanks to all for your contributions.

Bye. See you bit later.

Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
If this follows the typical yrreG Kumar pattern:

1. yrreG Kumar has it handed to him
2. yrreG Kumar realizes it long after everyone else does
2a. Kumar declares victory
3. yrreG Kumar turns tail and flees the thread <<< We are here
4. yrreG Kumar licks his wounds and goes into hibernation mode
5. yrreG Kumar starts a new thread and never mentions this one again

As before, it only needed a few amendments.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 02:13 AM   #126
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

Well, it's a welcome change of pace that Kumar realized that he wouldn't be able to divert the thread to an argument for homeopathy before he tried it.
Usually he goes there anyway and pretends he never denied he would.
He's not getting more honest, but at least he's learning.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:51 AM   #127
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Well, it's a welcome change of pace that Kumar realized that he wouldn't be able to divert the thread to an argument for homeopathy before he tried it.
In fact, according to homeopathic principles, by completely omitting any mention of an argument in favour of homeopathy, he's effectively advanced an infinitely strong argument against homeopathy.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 09:06 PM   #128
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

I feel bit surprised, how people in science/skeptic forum can assume so much. Nothing was/is there in reality as posters here assumed.

So many doubting can also be relevant to this topic subject. Not sure but, May it be due to under or over expression of fight or flight mechanism.

....Probably full evaluation of stress hormones levels esp their Bio-availability before taking any major stress(surgery etc.) may substantially help for the outcomes from these. Good luck.
Old 12th August 2017, 09:12 PM   #129
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
As before, it only needed a few amendments.
Assumptions should not be the basis of science and skepticism's advocators. Simply you miss me and my logical understandings based on yet pending, scattered or uncoordinated understandings due to your odd attitude whose basis may also be somewhat relevant to this subject. But still I don't take it as your A&F odd so come again and again with a gap. Bye and best luck for better understanding.
Old 13th August 2017, 12:25 AM   #130
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Assumptions should not be the basis of science and skepticism's advocators. Simply you miss me and my logical understandings based on yet pending, scattered or uncoordinated understandings due to your odd attitude whose basis may also be somewhat relevant to this subject. But still I don't take it as your A&F odd so come again and again with a gap. Bye and best luck for better understanding.
Kumar, since your posts are very nearly incomprehensible (this thread has been especially bad), you have to live with people trying to guess what you are aiming at. And since you have, in the past, rather consistently been aiming at homeopathy, it is not surprising that some think you are this time, too.

Hans
Old 13th August 2017, 01:33 AM   #131
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Kumar, since your posts are very nearly incomprehensible (this thread has been especially bad), you have to live with people trying to guess what you are aiming at. And since you have, in the past, rather consistently been aiming at homeopathy, it is not surprising that some think you are this time, too.

Hans
I can only interpret it as either this topic is bit odd/dificult to discuss here or people are wrongly and habitually perceived to me.

Most of my posts about homeopathy were either trying to better understand about its science(indirectly means doubting it) or reacting on unnecessary provocation by degrading it inspite of its mass presence. Its dynamic principles, lower potencies esp 12 tissue remedies can still be given some value instead of absolutely degrading it and that too on when we are still under process. Just you, who had also tried to understand its possibility in science(also me). Probably but mostly Homeopathy should be the basis of getting idea about Hormesis and many other low dose stimulation based systems. It is very important and dynamic topic subject(probably my all threads) in common benefits. Thanks.
Old 13th August 2017, 03:15 AM   #132
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Assumptions should not be the basis of science and skepticism's advocators. Simply you miss me and my logical understandings based on yet pending, scattered or uncoordinated understandings...

Is this your new term for stuff you have made up (what you used to call "thinking dynamically")?

Quote:
...due to your odd attitude whose basis may also be somewhat relevant to this subject.

Kumar, you have been shown data that contradict your assertions. Ugly facts will always defeat "logic".

Quote:
But still I don't take it as your A&F odd so come again and again with a gap. Bye and best luck for better understanding.

See you later, Bold Sir Robin.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 03:42 AM   #133
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I can only interpret it as either this topic is bit odd/dificult to discuss here or people are wrongly and habitually perceived to me.
The topic is not the problem. The problem seems to be that you will not compose a single coherent sentence even though you have demonstrated that you are capable of doing so in the past.
Old 13th August 2017, 04:29 AM   #134
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Most of my posts about homeopathy were either trying to better understand about its science(indirectly means doubting it) or reacting on unnecessary provocation by degrading it inspite of its mass presence. Its dynamic principles, lower potencies esp 12 tissue remedies can still be given some value instead of absolutely degrading it and that too on when we are still under process. Just you, who had also tried to understand its possibility in science(also me). Probably but mostly Homeopathy should be the basis of getting idea about Hormesis and many other low dose stimulation based systems. It is very important and dynamic topic subject(probably my all threads) in common benefits. Thanks.
And see he managed to turn the thread to... you've guessed it homeopathy..... we really are suckers!
Old 13th August 2017, 04:48 AM   #135
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And see he managed to turn the thread to... you've guessed it homeopathy..... we really are suckers!
I don't think so. Everyone plainly knew where it was headed from the outset. It was simply a case of waiting to see when the giant shoehorn would be deployed.
Old 13th August 2017, 06:00 AM   #136
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Within his narrow limits on same!!!!!!

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 12:24 PM   #137
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

There is nothing difficult about the topic, but you posts are nearly incomprehensible.

Even if hard to understand, your arguments have been roughly the same for over 10 years, so yes, I suppose we are "habitually perceived to you".

Quote:
Most of my posts about homeopathy were either trying to better understand about its science(indirectly means doubting it) or reacting on unnecessary provocation by degrading it inspite of its mass presence. Its dynamic principles, lower potencies esp 12 tissue remedies can still be given some value instead of absolutely degrading it and that too on when we are still under process.
No. Dose dependency is just a minor problem with homeopathy. The major problem is that the underlying idea of pathology is fatally flawed.

Tissue remedies have nothing to do with homeopathy.

Quote:
Just you, who had also tried to understand its possibility in science(also me). Probably but mostly Homeopathy should be the basis of getting idea about Hormesis and many other low dose stimulation based systems. It is very important and dynamic topic subject(probably my all threads) in common benefits. Thanks.
Hormesis has absolutely nothing to do with homeopathy. Your thinking so just demonstrates that you have not even understood the idea of homeopathy, flawed as it may be.

I'm sorry, Kumar, for old times' sake, I have always tried to be as nice and respectful to you as I could, but also, for old times' sake, I have to tell you that you are a parody:

- Your extremely poor command of English language, while forgivable, makes it nearly hopeless to communicate with you.

- You don't understand the ideas you try to defend.

- You don't understand the principles you use to defend them with.

- You don't understand the links you use as arguments.

- You have the nerve to suggest the fault is with your opponents.

So, thanks, but no thanks. I suggest you find something more useful to do with your time.

Hans
Old 13th August 2017, 02:07 PM   #138
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

There is nothing difficult about the topic, but you posts are nearly incomprehensible.

Even if hard to understand, your arguments have been roughly the same for over 10 years, so yes, I suppose we are "habitually perceived to you".

No. Dose dependency is just a minor problem with homeopathy. The major problem is that the underlying idea of pathology is fatally flawed.

Tissue remedies have nothing to do with homeopathy.

Hormesis has absolutely nothing to do with homeopathy. Your thinking so just demonstrates that you have not even understood the idea of homeopathy, flawed as it may be.

I'm sorry, Kumar, for old times' sake, I have always tried to be as nice and respectful to you as I could, but also, for old times' sake, I have to tell you that you are a parody:

- Your extremely poor command of English language, while forgivable, makes it nearly hopeless to communicate with you.

- You don't understand the ideas you try to defend.

- You don't understand the principles you use to defend them with.

- You don't understand the links you use as arguments.

- You have the nerve to suggest the fault is with your opponents.

So, thanks, but no thanks. I suggest you find something more useful to do with your time.

Hans
You are not the only one to have given up on trying to help Kumar. I made good suggestions for at least a year and not a thing changed.

Wash this space!

Old 13th August 2017, 04:28 PM   #139
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

There seem to be relevant abnormality ...
CONCLUSION (UNLIKELY)
Yet more gibberish about irrelevant topics (stress hormones, etc.) The A&F delusion about science. Followed by more irrelevant nonsense in the next post ("Hypoglycemia Unawareness", etc.).
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 04:38 PM   #140
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Most of my posts about homeopathy were either trying to better understand about its science...
That is the problem - homeopathy has no science as has been explained to you again and again !
Homeopathy is close to witchcraft with a couple of "spells" without any evidence (like cures like + dilution until no active ingredients = a remedy). Showing deep ignorance about homeopathy is not good - there is no hormesis in it's pseudoscience. For example, diluting ducks offal until there is no ducks offal in a remedy is not hormesis !
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 05:58 PM   #141
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Yes but not suckers but just hungry. Best regards.
Old 13th August 2017, 06:02 PM   #142
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Yes but not suckers but just hungry. Best regards.
Fail!

Wash this space!

Old 13th August 2017, 06:11 PM   #143
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

There is nothing difficult about the topic, but you posts are nearly incomprehensible...

Even if hard to understand, your arguments have been roughly the same for over 10

Hans
Ok, as you feel. Every one has its own limitation to express, undetstand, get or give, loose or gain. I just noticed people do discuss and always remember me and my posts. Basis of Reactions are usually self preceptions., self centered or vested interests but certainly not equanimious. All even homeopaths need to more understand about real sense of its true logic.
Old 13th August 2017, 07:55 PM   #144
sackett
Illuminator

Equanimious. What does it mean?

Nov shmoz kapop. Is that equanimious?

Great Kumar mind will equalityity not respond I am thinking.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 08:34 PM   #145
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Equanimious. What does it mean?

Nov shmoz kapop. Is that equanimious?

Great Kumar mind will equalityity not respond I am thinking.
Evenly on both sides.

Equanimity. Say for example, to be doubtful or skeptic on both sides till they become A&F. But people here, seem to be support and advocate yet non-A&F understanding but insist on A&F on other side. This do not justify equanimious or both sides Judge like equally justified attitude.
Old 13th August 2017, 08:59 PM   #146
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
I don't think so. Everyone plainly knew where it was headed from the outset. It was simply a case of waiting to see when the giant shoehorn would be deployed.
You may better look at my signature.
Moreover as said, it can be mentality and attitude of common and lesser potential man:

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer
https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/q...cho103608.html
Old 13th August 2017, 09:55 PM   #147
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

That signature is the excuse that needing "A&F" allows you to believe in really bad things like homeopathy.
What's the harm in homeopathy? Here are 437 people who were harmed by someone not thinking critically.
Homeopathy: The Ultimate Fake

Quack medicine goes through three stages: First, it is tested and found wanting. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is accepted as being quack medicine that kills people.
Old 14th August 2017, 12:43 AM   #148
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Moreover as said, it can be mentality and attitude of common and lesser potential man:

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer
...and all falsehood also goes through the first two stages and, for some falsehoods, reach the third stage through failure of intellect.

This is sometimes referred to as Eager's Schopenhauer Corollary
Old 14th August 2017, 01:00 AM   #149
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

The signature that makes it absolutely clear that you have no idea at all what science is?
Old 14th August 2017, 01:18 AM   #150
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

Ok, as you feel. Every one has its own limitation to express, undetstand, get or give, loose or gain. I just noticed people do discuss and always remember me and my posts. Basis of Reactions are usually self preceptions., self centered or vested interests but certainly not equanimious. All even homeopaths need to more understand about real sense of its true logic.
Very well then, if you are serious about wanting to have a discussion, and we have judged you unfairly, please explain what you want to discuss specifically and consisely.

Don't add more vague terminology, don't insist that everything you post is self-evident, and don't claim that you're really never wrong because nothing is 'a&f'. Just be very clear.

I still believe this thread is a transparent ploy to get from 'unhealtful surroundings' to 'natural defence systems', through a misconstrued idea of what hormesis means, to 'low dose stimulation', to eventually homeopathy, but I'm more than willing to be proven wrong.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 01:43 AM   #151
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Very well then, if you are serious about wanting to have a discussion, and we have judged you unfairly, please explain what you want to discuss specifically and consisely.
Ok. I want to know about factors causing normal and abnormal working of our defence mechanism. So pls teach me.

Quote:
Don't add more vague terminology, don't insist that everything you post is self-evident, and don't claim that you're really never wrong because nothing is 'a&f'. Just be very clear.
Ok, I take your words that nothing is 'a&f,. It means, everything is open to new understandings. Ok?

Quote:
I still believe this thread is a transparent ploy to get from 'unhealtful surroundings' to 'natural defence systems', through a misconstrued idea of what hormesis means, to 'low dose stimulation', to eventually homeopathy, but I'm more than willing to be proven wrong.
Ok, now onwards, I shall be a student. So pls teach me.

Thanks.
Old 14th August 2017, 01:45 AM   #152
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
The signature that makes it absolutely clear that you have no idea at all what science is?
Ok then teach me science as I requested in my last post.
Old 14th August 2017, 01:47 AM   #153
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
...and all falsehood also goes through the first two stages and, for some falsehoods, reach the third stage through failure of intellect.

This is sometimes referred to as Eager's Schopenhauer Corollary
Multiplicity in POVs and non-absolutisms are there everywhere. So difficult to stick to one idea. All can be right as well as wrong in this sense.
Old 14th August 2017, 01:53 AM   #154
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

Ok. I want to know about factors causing normal and abnormal working of our defence mechanism. So pls teach me.
Too vague. Which defence mechanism? What do you mean by 'causing normal working'?

If you're talking about the immune system, you could check the wiki article, which also has a section about immune disorders.
Posters who are more well read than I am in this area could probably recommend you several books if you're interested in further reading.
Old 14th August 2017, 01:54 AM   #155
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

After 14 years we've given up, Kumar. Teach yourself science, and come back when you've learned the basics. There are loads of free online courses you can take.

Here's one that looks like it might be a good place to start:

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/...periments?lr=7

If you don't like that one there are plenty more to choose from:

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses?...bility=started

Last edited by Pixel42; 14th August 2017 at 01:55 AM.
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 01:58 AM   #156
fagin
Illuminator

Ok, I take your words that nothing is 'a&f,. It means, everything is open to new understandings. Ok?

Thanks.
People have been trying for years.

Because 'science' is just a teeny tiny subject. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

Multiplicity in POVs and non-absolutisms are there everywhere. So difficult to stick to one idea. All can be right as well as wrong in this sense.
No.
Old 14th August 2017, 02:06 AM   #157
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Arthur Schopenhauer

All ducks are birds. Do you think this implies that all birds are ducks?

Old 14th August 2017, 02:08 AM   #158
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Ok, as you feel. Every one has its own limitation to express, undetstand, get or give, loose or gain.
Indeed. But for language, I know you can do better, if you try. One advice, don't use complex words, like equanimous, whch you spell wrongly and use imprecisely. Write a simple language, it works better.

Quote:
I just noticed people do discuss and always remember me and my posts. Basis of Reactions are usually self preceptions., self centered or vested interests but certainly not equanimious.
Why should they be equanimous? Ideas are not of equal value. How can you expect to have your musings valued equally to a century of international science research?

Quote:
All even homeopaths need to more understand about real sense of its true logic.
Just for instance, what does that sentence really mean?

Hans
Old 14th August 2017, 02:16 AM   #159
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

(Quote regrouped by me)

Thanks.
That sounds very nice, but you have said that before. And people have tried to teach you. But you would not listen. And to be honest, you are asking the impossible. Even a simplified explanation of that subject would fill a book.

Quote:
Just not any new understandings.

Imagine you come to a new city, say Compen --- sorry Copenhagen. You want the fastest route to the city centre. You ask another tourist, and you ask a taxi-driver. They give you very different directions. Do you take their explanations equanimously?

Hans
Old 14th August 2017, 03:09 AM   #160
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
After 14 years we've given up, Kumar. Teach yourself science, and come back when you've learned the basics. There are loads of free online courses you can take.

Here's one that looks like it might be a good place to start:

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/...periments?lr=7

If you don't like that one there are plenty more to choose from:

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses?...bility=started
If so, then why did you posted in this topic? Sorry just avoidance or flight or TTTT. Bye.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology