ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Josef Stalin , Russia history , Soviet Union history

Reply
Old 11th August 2017, 04:48 PM   #41
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,271
Considering the documented willingness of the political commissars to summarily execute Russian soldiers and civilians during and immediately after WWII, I don't see much of a case for any benevolence on the part of the Soviet central government.

During the battle for Stalingrad, the Soviets own records documented a sentence of death in absentia for a woman that refused orders to stop fighting and retreat, and a case where the sentence of death that was carried out on a Soviet soldier in an anti-aircraft artillery unit that in a letter home described how difficult it was to shoot down attacking German aircraft.

In those years, life was cheap in the Soviet.
__________________
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col. Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 04:56 PM   #42
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 37,193
Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Stalin was definitely in Hitlers league when it comes to his genocidal intentions.
He was also, from 1939 to 1941,the most effective ally Der Fuehrer ever had, something the Stalin fanboys hate to see brought up.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 04:59 PM   #43
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 37,193
Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Considering the documented willingness of the political commissars to summarily execute Russian soldiers and civilians during and immediately after WWII, I don't see much of a case for any benevolence on the part of the Soviet central government.

During the battle for Stalingrad, the Soviets own records documented a sentence of death in absentia for a woman that refused orders to stop fighting and retreat, and a case where the sentence of death that was carried out on a Soviet soldier in an anti-aircraft artillery unit that in a letter home described how difficult it was to shoot down attacking German aircraft.

In those years, life was cheap in the Soviet.
BTW,the opening scenes of "Enemy At The Gates",showing Unarmed Russian Soldiers being made to charge German entrenched positions at the point of NKVD Machine Guns is 100% accurate.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 05:01 PM   #44
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 37,193
Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
I think that if we'd have access to real numbers, Mao's numbers would be ahead of Hitler or Stalin.

As long as we're talking about murdering tyrants:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idi_Amin

Amin "only" notched a half-million or so victims, but it wasn't for a lack of enthusiasm.
Hey, man, Idi did his best.....
I recommend "The Last King Of Scotland" for a good look at the Kingdom of Idi.Forrester Whittiker richly deserved his Oscar as Amin.
Genocidal dictators come in all races, colors and creeds.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 05:13 PM   #45
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,075
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
I'm not. Which you could see by me not going into your question about how many millions died.



Nothing, It was all I needed to refute that Nazi myth about Stalin having master-minded the famine, hence it was all I used.

Again, though, feel free to present any theory you like and back it up.
The supposition that Stalin engineered the famine is not confined to Nazi mythographers, but anyway I don't accept it. He didn't mastermind the famine. He merely caused it.

Like you he wasn't interested in mortality figures, but he preferred to have a larger number of subjects, so for instance he was irritated when the Soviet Census (1937)WP found a smaller population than he had predicted in public speeches. He had the chief statisticians bumped off, and the results of the Census were suppressed until recently.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 05:17 PM   #46
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,271
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
BTW,the opening scenes of "Enemy At The Gates",showing Unarmed Russian Soldiers being made to charge German entrenched positions at the point of NKVD Machine Guns is 100% accurate.
The Sovs were not in any way considerate of human life, even in the aftermath of the war:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victims_of_Yalta

An individual that served in Europe when the war ended told me that some Soviet POWS committed suicide rather than go through reparation back to Russia.
__________________
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col. Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 05:19 PM   #47
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,075
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
He was also, from 1939 to 1941,the most effective ally Der Fuehrer ever had, something the Stalin fanboys hate to see brought up.
It was a strange affair. Stalin wanted Hitler to have a hard time in France, and was annoyed when his "Ally" defeated the Entente at such a small cost in men and equipment. He hoped to postpone a showdown with Hitler, and hoped also that both the Nazis and the Western Allies would be weakened by mutual attrition, so that they would be in no position to confront the USSR. The Nazi-Soviet Pact was an entirely cynical relationship on both sides.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 05:25 PM   #48
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,056
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
He was also, from 1939 to 1941,the most effective ally Der Fuehrer ever had, something the Stalin fanboys hate to see brought up.
And after 1941 his most effective enemy.

But since you seem so interested in Hitler, Stalin and the period from 1939 to 1941, let me tell you a story about a city near where I live, Liège. On 10 may 1940 the Nazis invaded, and quickly occupied, Belgium. Exactly one year later, on 10 may 1941 a strike broke out in the Cockerill Steel factory in Liège. The "official" reason given was for wage increase, but it was mostly an act of resistance on the first year anniversary of the Nazi occupation. It was led by one of those "Stalin fanboys" as you call them. The strike quickly spread through the province and eventually country and into other industries, and little over a week later the Nazis were forced to give in to the demands. After the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact was broken, that "Stalin fanboy" was deported to a concentration camp.

And that is exactly why your right-wing so-called "anti-Stalinism" will never be taken seriously, because it is nothing but an obvious cover for "anti-working class".
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 11th August 2017 at 06:45 PM.
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 05:27 PM   #49
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,056
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
The supposition that Stalin engineered the famine is not confined to Nazi mythographers, but anyway I don't accept it. He didn't mastermind the famine. He merely caused it.

Like you he wasn't interested in mortality figures, but he preferred to have a larger number of subjects, so for instance he was irritated when the Soviet Census (1937)WP found a smaller population than he had predicted in public speeches. He had the chief statisticians bumped off, and the results of the Census were suppressed until recently.
Wait a second, the Soviet government had different secret and public statistics therefor Stalin caused a famine?
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 05:31 PM   #50
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,075
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
And after 1941 his most effective enemy.

But since you seem so interested in Hitler, Stalin and the period from 1939 to 1941, let me tell you a story about a city near where I live, Liège. On 10 may 1940 the Nazis invaded, and quickly occupied, Belgium. Exactly one year later, on 10 may 1941 a strike broke out in the Cockerill Steel factory. The "official" reason given was for wage increase, but it was mostly an act of resistance on the first year anniversary of the Nazi occupation. It was led by one of those "Stalin fanboys" as you call them.

The strike quickly spread through the province and into other industries, and little over a week later the Nazis were forced to give into the demands. After the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact was broken, that "Stalin fanboy" was deported to a concentration camp.

And that is exactly why your right-wing so-called "anti-Stalinism" will never be taken seriously, because it is nothing but an obvious cover for "anti-working class".
Stalin was most certainly not "pro-working class" in the period prior to the Nazi invasion, as one may see here

Last edited by Craig B; 11th August 2017 at 05:34 PM.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 05:33 PM   #51
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,056
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Stalin was most certainly not "pro-working class" in the period prior to the Nazi invasion, as one may see here
I never claimed he was. My story wasn't about Stalin but about a certain "Stalin fanboy".
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 11th August 2017 at 05:34 PM.
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 06:53 PM   #52
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,075
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Wait a second, the Soviet government had different secret and public statistics therefor Stalin caused a famine?
No, he caused the famine by messing about with the prevailing system of agricultural land tenure. The 1937 Census was a public operation. Once the data had been acquired it was clear that Stalin's predictions about the population of the USSR had been falsified. Another census was arranged two years later, and it found a population figure the same as the one Stalin's had announced. So there was not a public figure and a secret figure. There was a true public figure, suppressed, and a false one, publicised.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 07:00 PM   #53
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,056
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
No, he caused the famine by messing about with the prevailing system of agricultural land tenure.
Do you have any evidence for this?

Besides, seems to me that the prevailing system was producing famines and food shortages all the time, and it stopped doing so after he was done messing with it. Some people would call that an improvement.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 07:12 PM   #54
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,271
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Do you have any evidence for this?

Besides, seems to me that the prevailing system was producing famines and food shortages all the time, and it stopped doing so after he was done messing with it. Some people would call that an improvement.
If you don't have enough (whatever) to meet the demand, having a smaller demand load through population control might be a viable solution...if the individual making the decision was a sociopath.
__________________
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col. Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 07:15 PM   #55
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,056
Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
If you don't have enough (whatever) to meet the demand, having a smaller demand load through population control might be a viable solution...if the individual making the decision was a sociopath.
I'm tired of repeating this, so I'm going to bold the important part: feel free to present any theory you like and back it up.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 07:20 PM   #56
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,271
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
And after 1941 his most effective enemy.

But since you seem so interested in Hitler, Stalin and the period from 1939 to 1941, let me tell you a story about a city near where I live, Liège. On 10 may 1940 the Nazis invaded, and quickly occupied, Belgium. Exactly one year later, on 10 may 1941 a strike broke out in the Cockerill Steel factory in Liège. The "official" reason given was for wage increase, but it was mostly an act of resistance on the first year anniversary of the Nazi occupation. It was led by one of those "Stalin fanboys" as you call them. The strike quickly spread through the province and eventually country and into other industries, and little over a week later the Nazis were forced to give in to the demands. After the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact was broken, that "Stalin fanboy" was deported to a concentration camp.

And that is exactly why your right-wing so-called "anti-Stalinism" will never be taken seriously, because it is nothing but an obvious cover for "anti-working class".
Stalin really loved the working class:

http://gulaghistory.org/nps/onlineexhibit/stalin/

Concentration camps were created in the Soviet Union shortly after the 1917 revolution, but the system grew to tremendous proportions during the course of Stalin’s campaign to turn the Soviet Union into a modern industrial power and to collectivize agriculture in the early 1930s.

Gulag camps existed throughout the Soviet Union, but the largest camps lay in the most extreme geographical and climatic regions of the country from the Arctic north to the Siberian east and the Central Asian south. Prisoners were engaged in a variety of economic activities, but their work was typically unskilled, manual, and economically inefficient. The combination of endemic violence, extreme climate, hard labor, meager food rations and unsanitary conditions led to extremely high death rates in the camps.
__________________
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col. Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 07:31 PM   #57
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,056
As far as relations vis-a-vis the Nazis went, other than that "Stalin fanboy" leading that strike, the "liberal fanboys" seem to have been mostly busy voting - quite enthusiastically so - for the Enabling Act, giving Hitler dictatorial powers to repress the social democrats with (the communists and anarchists had already been repressed at that point, which they also supported IIRC).
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 07:46 PM   #58
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,650
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
...And that is exactly why your right-wing so-called "anti-Stalinism" will never be taken seriously, because it is nothing but an obvious cover for "anti-working class".
Nice Black and White world you created. Is it possible that not everyone critical of Stalin was a fascist?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 07:51 PM   #59
Noztradamus
Illuminator
 
Noztradamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,536
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I'm afraid that was deliberate. I thought it had been uncontroversial since the 1950s when the Soviet regime denounced him.
That was just Commie propaganda
__________________
The Australian Family Association's John Morrissey was aghast when he learned Jessica Watson was bidding to become the youngest person to sail round the world alone, unaided and without stopping.
Noztradamus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 07:56 PM   #60
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,056
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Nice Black and White world you created. Is it possible that not everyone critical of Stalin was a fascist?
It's truly amazing, isn't it? The term "fascist" doesn't even occur in my post, but why let such simple facts stand in the way of some apparently random remarks, which also happen to be non-sequiturs as well.

And yes, Khrushchev didn't like Stalin, is there some point here?
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 08:12 PM   #61
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,056
Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Stalin really loved the working class: {...}
That's funny, I could swear I actually just said literally this:

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
I never claimed he was. My story wasn't about Stalin but about a certain "Stalin fanboy".
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 08:28 PM   #62
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,650
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
It's truly amazing, isn't it? The term "fascist" doesn't even occur in my post, but why let such simple facts stand in the way of some apparently random remarks, which also happen to be non-sequiturs as well.

And yes, Khrushchev didn't like Stalin, is there some point here?

Eh? I know U R, but what am I? Well, not in that specific post but in others. An example here:

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
...Most people are stupid.
You're not being called a right-winger because of that, you're being called a right-winger because of your use of far-right rhetoric about the "regressive left" and your never-ending support for capitalist (and fascist) imperialism...
In fact, your use of the term "fascist" seems a bit loose but generally seems to refer to someone critical of Stalin, which is why I included the Khrushchev coverage.

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
ETA: and there's no such thing as the Holodomor. Just because such claims were published in Völkischer Beobachter, at a time when it was well-respected among liberal intelligentsia in the West, doesn't mean it's true.
Just noticed this. Please produce any cite you can find that the "Völkischer Beobachter was well-respected among liberal intelligentsia in the West"
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 08:37 PM   #63
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,056
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
In fact, your use of the term "fascist" seems a bit loose but generally seems to refer to someone critical of Stalin, which is why I included the Khrushchev coverage.


Quote:
Just noticed this. Please produce any cite you can find that the "Völkischer Beobachter was well-respected among liberal intelligentsia in the West"
No thanks, feel free to disregard that claim if you so choose.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 10:30 PM   #64
llwyd
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 395
In some respects stalinism was even worse than nazism, more succesful, more lethal - I wrote these following comments about this fact some years ago (as modern revanchist and militaristic Russia along our Nordic borders keeps these memories rather fresh):

http://stockholmslender.blogspot.fi/...ang-horst.html

http://stockholmslender.blogspot.fi/...oners-pro.html

Last edited by llwyd; 11th August 2017 at 10:31 PM.
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 10:33 PM   #65
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 15,351
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
He was also, from 1939 to 1941,the most effective ally Der Fuehrer ever had, something the Stalin fanboys hate to see brought up.
I did bring it up, apparently that was trumped by Munich.

No I don't follow the logic either.
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2017, 10:41 PM   #66
llwyd
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 395
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I did bring it up, apparently that was trumped by Munich.

No I don't follow the logic either.
But it's even worse: in the early 30's it was Britain and the US that were seen as the main enemy, not the Nazis. The Comintern was directed to attack and undermine German Social Democrats ("social fascists"), not Nazis. This changed when it was already too late. So, Stalin did much to enable the rise of Hitler, seeing him as a tool to weaken the Anglo-Saxon powers.
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:50 AM   #67
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,075
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
I'm tired of repeating this, so I'm going to bold the important part: feel free to present any theory you like and back it up.
And I'm tired of reading it. I notice that when you have been asked for evidence you have replied
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
No thanks, feel free to disregard that claim if you so choose.
Now, you have agreed that

There was a famine in Ukraine
There was no famine in Romania or Germany, although as you say, the same natural environment for agriculture existed there. I have cited Muggeridge and quoted the very words of Gareth Jones, witnesses, and referred you to Eugene Lyons. The cause of the famine was therefore not the weather, or agricultural pests, as falsely claimed by Stalin apologists. The cause must therefore have been something that was happening in the USSR, but not in these other countries. That was the economic system introduced by Stalin in the years after 1929. Feel free to refute this logic.

I have also referred you to the article on the Soviet Census (1937)WP. Go and consult these things and stop misdirecting us. We will then be able to discuss not only the famine of 1932-33, but the Terror of 1937-38, and the fabricated "show trials" of 1936 and subsequent years.

Last edited by Craig B; 12th August 2017 at 12:57 AM.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 07:21 AM   #68
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,056
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
And I'm tired of reading it.
Well then feel free to present evidence for your claims and you won't have to read it anymore.

Quote:
Now, you have agreed that

There was a famine in Ukraine
Not exactly. There was a famine in the USSR, including the Ukrainian SSR.

Quote:
There was no famine in Romania or Germany
Possibly. How is this relevant?

Quote:
The cause of the famine was therefore not the weather, or agricultural pests, as falsely claimed by Stalin apologists.
That doesn't follow.

Quote:
The cause must therefore have been something that was happening in the USSR, but not in these other countries. That was the economic system introduced by Stalin in the years after 1929. Feel free to refute this logic.
What logic? There was no famine in Germany therefor the famine in the USSR was caused by Stalin, as claimed by right-wing ideologues? You call that logic? Oh, who am I kidding, of course you call that logic...
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 07:36 AM   #69
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,056
Originally Posted by llwyd View Post
In some respects stalinism was even worse than nazism, more succesful, more lethal - I wrote these following comments about this fact some years ago (as modern revanchist and militaristic Russia along our Nordic borders keeps these memories rather fresh):

http://stockholmslender.blogspot.fi/...ang-horst.html

http://stockholmslender.blogspot.fi/...oners-pro.html
Nice anti-communist propaganda. So Stalin was responsible for the fact that two of the most brutal, oppressive and lethal political ideologies - liberalism and Nazism - combined their forces to repress left-wingers in 1930's Germany?
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 07:39 AM   #70
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,075
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Well then feel free to present evidence for your claims and you won't have to read it anymore.
I have, and so you're telling untruths. This constant repetition is your current preferred method of misdirection. That means you believe me when I stated that I am not impressed by provocation and insult. That's good.
Quote:
There was a famine in the USSR, including the Ukrainian SSR.
That means there was a famine in Ukraine.
Quote:
What logic? There was no famine in Germany therefor the famine in the USSR was caused by Stalin, as claimed by right-wing ideologues? You call that logic? Oh, who am I kidding, of course you call that logic...
This logic. Pests and bad weather don't stop at borders, as we agree. Germany had no famine. Romania had no famine. Therefore it wasn't caused by the pests and the bad weather when it happened in the USSR.

i call that logic. Right wing ideologues call it logic. Left wing ideologues call it logic. The only people who don't are unthinking apologists for Stalinism. Most of us thought that breed was extinct! But "living fossils" are occasionally found, like the coelacanths discovered quietly prowling the depths of the Indian Ocean, previously known to science only from their petrified remains.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 07:43 AM   #71
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,352
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Nice anti-communist propaganda. So Stalin was responsible for the fact that two of the most brutal, oppressive and lethal political ideologies - liberalism and Nazism - combined their forces to repress left-wingers in 1930's Germany?
Rule of So.

I'm tired of repeating this, thus I'm going to bold the important part: feel free to present any theory you like but back it up.
__________________
this space for rent

Last edited by The Big Dog; 12th August 2017 at 07:44 AM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 08:25 AM   #72
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,056
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
I have, and so you're telling untruths.
No you haven't. All you've provided evidence of is that there is at least one journalist whose reports did not include any famine conditions in Germany. Without any sound argument as to how that would even relevant in the first place.

Quote:
This logic. Pests and bad weather don't stop at borders, as we agree. Germany had no famine. Romania had no famine. Therefore it wasn't caused by the pests and the bad weather when it happened in the USSR.

i call that logic. Right wing ideologues call it logic.
I know you do, but that doesn't make it so. Rational people, on the other hand, call that a "non-sequitur".

If you want to claim that "economic system introduced by Stalin in the years after 1929" caused famine, then you are free to make a list of years from, say, 1850 to, say, 1980 and for each year mark whether the year had the "economic system introduced by Stalin in the years after 1929" and whether the year had "food shortage/famine", and then see how your two variables are related.

But of course you already know that the result is exactly the opposite of your claim[*], which is probably why you choose to take, frankly bizarre, lines of argument instead about how lack of famine in Germany is somehow supposed to prove that Soviet famine in 1932-33 was caused by the "economic system introduced by Stalin in the years after 1929."

Quote:
Most of us thought
Now you're just pulling our legs

* Yay to Comrade Stalin for the collectivization and industrialization of agriculture!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 12th August 2017 at 08:52 AM.
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 08:28 AM   #73
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,056
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Rule of So.

I'm tired of repeating this, thus I'm going to bold the important part: feel free to present any theory you like but back it up.
Quote:
Stalin did so much himself to create that threat with the Comintern undermining all left-liberal forces in Germany during those fateful years of Hitler's rise and with Moscow stubbornly seeing the liberal-democratic West jus as bad, or for most of the time much worse enemy than Hitler.
Blaming Stalin for the German liberal support for the NSDAP repressing communists (among others). A bit like a "stop hitting yourself!" but then rather "stop deporting yourself to concentration camps!"
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 08:32 AM   #74
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,352
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Blaming Stalin for the German liberal support for the NSDAP repressing communists (among others). A bit like a "stop hitting yourself!" but then rather "stop deporting yourself to concentration camps!"
It is quite remarkable how profoundly you have missed the point that was made.

We refer to Stalin's concentration camps as the "gulag".
__________________
this space for rent
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 08:33 AM   #75
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,974
Originally Posted by Giz View Post
If we are taking Pot shots at worst historical figure, then don't forget Pol!
The fraud Chomsky would really like to.
__________________
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 08:35 AM   #76
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,974
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
What a pathetic display of intellectual dishonesty. I have never argued that people didn't die in the Ukrainian SSR because of famine and disease.[*] And I have never argued that the famine was Nazi propaganda. Yet you of course see no problem in pulling that post, which was in response to me, out of context (ie obvious straw-manning) into a new thread.

* and you even got your timeline wrong, the famine under consideration was 1932-33. But then I'd not expect you to be able to point to Ukraine on a map to be honest, so whatever.
Now, there's some irony.
__________________
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 08:40 AM   #77
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 15,351
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Originally Posted by llwyd View Post
In some respects stalinism was even worse than nazism, more succesful, more lethal - I wrote these following comments about this fact some years ago (as modern revanchist and militaristic Russia along our Nordic borders keeps these memories rather fresh):

http://stockholmslender.blogspot.fi/...ang-horst.html

http://stockholmslender.blogspot.fi/...oners-pro.html
Nice anti-communist propaganda. So Stalin was responsible for the fact that two of the most brutal, oppressive and lethal political ideologies - liberalism and Nazism - combined their forces to repress left-wingers in 1930's Germany?
"So" implies that something follows. How does describing the atrocities of Stalin's regime against Estonia lead one to say anything about inter war Germany?

Why have you described liberalism in the same breath as Nazism?

I'm going to be controversial* here, but I think that liberalism, with it's basis in a fundamental respect for human rights (and over time, realising that more rights are important) is not oppressive compared to any autocratic ideology, let alone a totalitarian one like Stalinsim. Or do you mean something other than liberalism here?




*only controversial if you are a knave or a fool.
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 09:03 AM   #78
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,075
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
No you haven't. All you've provided evidence of is that there is at least one journalist whose reports did not include any famine conditions in Germany. Without any sound argument as to how that would even relevant in the first place.



I know you do, but that doesn't make it so. Rational people, on the other hand, call that a "non-sequitur".

If you want to claim that "economic system introduced by Stalin in the years after 1929" caused famine, then you are free to make a list of years from, say, 1850 to, say, 1980 and for each year mark whether the year had the "economic system introduced by Stalin in the years after 1929" and whether the year had "food shortage/famine", and then see how your two variables are related.
If you want to spend time doing that rather than reading the exhaustive literature on the subject already composed by scholars, who have in the past performed such exercises, go ahead. Or read the works of these scholars.

Why don't you do that? Because the scholars are more or less unanimous that Stalin's economic reforms were the prime cause of the disaster.
Quote:
But of course you already know that the result is exactly the opposite of your claim[*], which is probably why you choose to take, frankly bizarre, lines of argument instead about how lack of famine in Germany is somehow supposed to prove that Soviet famine in 1932-33 was caused by the "economic system introduced by Stalin in the years after 1929.
I have set down my reasoning. Over to you.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 09:06 AM   #79
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,056
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
"So" implies that something follows. How does describing the atrocities of Stalin's regime against Estonia lead one to say anything about inter war Germany?
It doesn't.

Quote:
Why have you described liberalism in the same breath as Nazism?
Because the liberals were quite supportive of the Nazis for their anti-communist work. It's understandable though, no problem, even if you're a liberal capitalist who doesn't like the "style" of the NSDAP you still can't deny the profit opportunities after the Nazi goons come up to beat up and drag away trade union leaders in your company.

Quote:
I'm going to be controversial* here, but I think that liberalism {...}
I don't care.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 09:18 AM   #80
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,075
While we're at it.
One of the most serious crises before 1900 was the famine of 1891–92, which killed between 375,000 and 500,000 people, mainly due to famine-related diseases. Causes included a large Autumn drought resulting in crop failures. Attempts by the government to alleviate the situation generally failed which may have contributed to a lack of faith in the Czarist regime and later political instability ...

Major causes include the 1932–33 confiscations of grain and other food by the Soviet authorities which contributed to the famine and affected more than forty million people, especially in the south on the Don and Kuban areas and in Ukraine, where by various estimates millions starved to death or died due to famine related illness ...

Estimates of Soviet deaths attributable to the 1932–1933 famine vary wildly, but are typically given in the range of millions. Vallin et al. estimated that approximately 2.6 million deaths in Ukraine can be directly attributed to the famine. In addition, they estimated a shortfall of roughly 1 million in the birthrate ...
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:21 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.