ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th August 2017, 09:19 AM   #1
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

The lost community and visas

I'm sure this is a question that has never been asked and never will again but this being Jref and all I thought I'd give it a go.

When hemingway, Fitzgerald, stein and that mob came over to live in Paris in the 20s, originally as struggling writers and critics, what was the visa arrangement? How were they allowed to live so long in the country without getting booted out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13th August 2017, 09:20 AM   #2
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry, lost generation

Old 13th August 2017, 09:27 AM   #3
Beady
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Undesired Walrus View Post
I'm sure this is a question that has never been asked and never will again but this being Jref and all I thought I'd give it a go.

When hemingway, Fitzgerald, stein and that mob came over to live in Paris in the 20s, originally as struggling writers and critics, what was the visa arrangement? How were they allowed to live so long in the country without getting booted out?

I guess you'd have to ask someone familiar with 1920s French immigration law.

Lotsa luck with that.

This signature is intended to irritate people.
Old 13th August 2017, 09:53 AM   #4
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Pure speculation, but.....

Are you also wondering how they got by without ATMs?

Before The Great War (get off my lawn, kid) people rarely travelled with passports. Seeing as to how the Roaring 20s wasn't that long thereafter, the attitudes may have been more casual. It wasn't until the Depression that "work visas" became an issue.

Plus, of course, they were self-supporting for all intents and purposes. They weren't taking jobs away from anyone. Presently, and I sincerely doubt it was different in the 20s, Americans don't need a separate visa to visit France for up to three months; the chop at the arrival port is your visa.

I could, right now, provided I prove that I have my own insurance (a late 20th century requirement) and sufficient funds to take care of myself, get a visa for a year and get it easily extended for another. I'm pretty sure requirements are much stricter than ninety years ago.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 09:13 PM   #5
Dabop
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by nationalarchives.gov.uk
Before the First World War it was not compulsory for someone travelling abroad to apply for a passport.

Possession of a passport was confined largely to merchants and diplomats, and the vast majority of those travelling overseas had no formal documents..
Even after the second world war (especially just after it) it wasn't unheard of for people to arrive without any formal paperwork, my uncle who was born in England, traveled to Oz as a ten pound pommie just after the second world war and had never held a passport (of any nationality) until late last year when he wanted to return to visit family.
Funnily enough, he was issued an Oz passport eventually, despite being born in England, and having lived almost his entire life here, paid taxes, been issued a drivers license and owning a house, he was never actually formally an Ozzie according to the govn....
Old 20th August 2017, 01:13 PM   #6
catsmate
No longer the 1

The "lost generation" didn't immigrate, they resided. They'd need to register with the police, obtain a French identity card et cetera, but would have few problems if they didn't cause trouble.

As for money, there were letters of credit and travellers cheques. A USAian could open an account and arrange for money to be transferred from the US relatively easily. There would be a delay but the telegraph network meant that this would be a few days.

BTW the 1920s was the era of "Paris divorces" for USAians, where couple would travel to France to arrange a marriage dissolution in the easier (and far more female friendly) legal climate there. Almost one thousand US marriages were ended in the period 1922-9.

ETA: Oops, I forgot to address the actual OP question. From 1922 there was no visa requirements for travellers between the USA and France, this was part of a major abolition of visa requirements in the period. The UK was a major exception to this.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.

Last edited by catsmate; 20th August 2017 at 01:43 PM.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2017, 01:14 PM   #7
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Worst places for your marriage to end

Old 22nd August 2017, 06:22 PM   #8
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Undesired Walrus View Post
Worst places for your marriage to end

Suppose it depends on the marriage.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts