ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th February 2020, 01:56 AM   #41
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

"Let's face it, this place is kind of lame" doesn't tend to go over well with voters (unless you're dogwhistling).
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 08:20 AM   #42
C_Felix
Master Poster

sycophancy
Old 5th February 2020, 08:34 AM   #43
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Texas is as straight as America's armed forces.
Steers and Queers.

To the OP - it's a meaningless, reflexive tic of sorts.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 08:47 AM   #44
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Great Britain: 93,628 sq. mi.
Arizona: 113,988 sq. mi.
Not sure if there is a point here but I will play along anyway.

British Columbia: 364,764 sq mi.

Who's turn next?
Old 5th February 2020, 08:49 AM   #45
Cabbage
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Not sure if there is a point here but I will play along anyway.

British Columbia: 364,764 sq mi.

Who's turn next?

Me!

The Vatican: 0.170313 sq mi.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 09:11 AM   #46
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Me!

The Vatican: 0.170313 sq mi.
Oooh! Good choice. Anyone else want to try?
Old 5th February 2020, 09:19 AM   #47
Thermal
Philosopher

Oooh! Good choice. Anyone else want to try?
My bed: 36 square feet. Checkmate, geographers!

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 09:21 AM   #48
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Everywhere one turns in US media, when some personage is introduced they're almost invariably from "the Great state of Kentucky", or "the Great state of Vermont", etc. Or when pols are yakking about folk somewhere; it's always the "Great" state they live in.

If they're *all* Great, then none are. Why this odd affectation? What other self-confident nation does this? Up here, we don't have peeps being hailed in this smarmy fashion as from "the Great province of Saskatchewan." If they are, it's seldom enough to maybe mean something.
Not here.
We are a commonwealth.
Old 5th February 2020, 02:09 PM   #49
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
It's also something he heard often from an entertainment colleague, who is "A great... entertainer... A great... humanitarian... and my deepest, closest friend for (umpty-ump) years!"
"In other news, someone famous has died.
Friends and colleagues from the world of entertainment are queuing up to pay tribute to this person for whom they didn't have a good word while they were alive."

Probably misremembered Spitting Image sketch.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 02:18 PM   #50
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
"The audaciously fey and supremely fabulous state of Texas"
It is about time we are recognized as such. Thank you.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 02:20 PM   #51
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Just be glad Trump hasn’t started trash-talking States he doesn’t like. The **** Hole State of California, perhaps?
So, did you notice the change in the tax code that capped deductions for property taxes? That was Trump's way of trash talking California and New York. And rich Texans just have to suck it up, apparently.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 03:06 PM   #52
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Friends and colleagues from the world of entertainment are queuing up to pay tribute to this person for whom they didn't have a good word while they were alive."

My own reference was the Bob Fosse character in All That Jazz, pre-repeating a famous MC's intros when he'd see them on TV.
Old 5th February 2020, 08:19 PM   #53
Baylor
Philosopher

Do you think some states are “greater” than others?
Do you think "God" saved the queen?
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 08:37 PM   #54
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Do you think "God" saved the queen?
No. Your turn.
Old 5th February 2020, 09:25 PM   #55
Baylor
Philosopher

No. Your turn.
I don't think God saved the queen. Must be some weird delusion people living in the commonwealth share.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 09:48 PM   #56
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
I don't think God saved the queen. Must be some weird delusion people living in the commonwealth share.
Clever.
Old 5th February 2020, 11:35 PM   #57
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post

Reminds me of all the Trumpers like Graham and Cruz who couldn't say a good word about him before he was elected.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics