ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Matt Shea , religion and politics , The American Redoubt , Washington politics

Old 19th January 2020, 07:21 PM   #201
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

WA State is considering some gun legislation. At a pro-gun rally in the capital of Olympia, there were signs saying "I support Matt Shea".
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 08:13 AM   #202
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Shea is such an obvious nutjob that even Donniw will not want to be identified with him.
On the other hand, President Trump is an obvious nut job and he is willing to be associated with himself.
Old 20th January 2020, 08:23 AM   #203
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Here is a local news outlet (Fox) conducting interviews with a small group of Shea supporters. They present themselves as normal citizens -- soccer moms and hard working dads. A quick google search reveals they are loony Shea insiders who are all about the Redoubt. The reporter gets an F.

I suppose in Spokane Valley, supporters of White Chistopia are indeed normal citizens.

Last edited by varwoche; 20th January 2020 at 08:28 AM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 08:27 AM   #204
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Your link is not working for me (I think it's on my side). Is it possible the reporter is also an insider?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 08:36 AM   #205
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Your link is not working for me (I think it's on my side). Is it possible the reporter is also an insider?
Link works for me and there is zero chance that she is an insider based on her bio. "She lives in King County with her boyfriend and two very spoiled dogs."
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 05:56 PM   #206
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Here is a local news outlet (Fox) conducting interviews with a small group of Shea supporters. They present themselves as normal citizens -- soccer moms and hard working dads. A quick google search reveals they are loony Shea insiders who are all about the Redoubt. The reporter gets an F.

I suppose in Spokane Valley, supporters of White Chistopia are indeed normal citizens.
Which is why my parents and sister got the hell out of the Spokane Valley 30 years ago.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 06:19 PM   #207
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Good find.
Although KCPQ is a Fox affiliate, I'd probably put more trust in one of their reporters than in ABC affiliate KOMO, owned by Sinclair, which notoriously requires on-air personalities to read Sinclair produced propaganda without identifying it as such.
Old 20th January 2020, 08:22 PM   #208
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Link works for me and there is zero chance that she is an insider based on her bio. "She lives in King County with her boyfriend and two very spoiled dogs."
Not seeing the connection. Not sure if it's important.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2020, 07:21 AM   #209
carlitos
"más divertido"

She's not living in the redoubt with her husband and 9 children; she's in the evil liberal city living childless and unmarried, but no it's not important. Her bio also has a slew of stories that she has covered and won awards for. It's not the bio of a White Christophia supporter.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2020, 07:37 AM   #210
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

She's not living in the redoubt with her husband and 9 children; she's in the evil liberal city living childless and unmarried, but no it's not important. Her bio also has a slew of stories that she has covered and won awards for. It's not the bio of a White Christophia supporter.
Clearly.

I wrote to her, asking why she didn't call out the backgrounds of the interviewees, such as one of them is a card carrying Bircher, and they all appear on Redoubt News. She pointed out that she identified them as "Shea's most fervent supporters".
Old 21st January 2020, 09:51 AM   #211
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

It's not the bio of a White Christophia supporter.
OK. I'm not sure how your post supports your concluding sentence but you and varwoche seem to agree she's not an insider.

ETA: I've met one person that was sympathetic to Christian Identify (only point of disagreement was that she felt Jews were a superior race). She was a childless, unmarried woman, living in a liberal city, with two spoiled dogs. No awards for anything that I know of.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 21st January 2020 at 10:01 AM.
Old 21st January 2020, 10:47 AM   #212
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

OK. I'm not sure how your post supports your concluding sentence but you and varwoche seem to agree she's not an insider.

ETA: I've met one person that was sympathetic to Christian Identify (only point of disagreement was that she felt Jews were a superior race). She was a childless, unmarried woman, living in a liberal city, with two spoiled dogs. No awards for anything that I know of.
Point taken.
Old 21st January 2020, 11:47 AM   #213
carlitos
"más divertido"

Ah, OK. I just read the bio, saw a reporter who was living in sin in Seattle, often did work on homeless issues, substance abuse, mental health, etc., and didn't see the profile. I guess that anyone can spoil their dogs.
Old 21st January 2020, 12:21 PM   #214
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

The woman I just mentioned was surprisingly good at hiding her views and activities except for one thing. She had a drug habit and during one bad episode she confused her e-mail addresses and mistakenly added some people she didn't mean to to a listserv she was managing. Some of the people she inadvertently outed as being Christian Identity/Aryan Brotherhood/Gambino crime family were quite surprising.

That experience leaves me curious as to whether this movement is bigger than it might appear.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 21st January 2020 at 12:22 PM.
Old 21st January 2020, 05:03 PM   #215
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

": You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the New West. You know...morons. "

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 01:44 PM   #216
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

": You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the New West. You know...morons. "
This is precisely who this was written about. Shame they are still around.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 04:15 PM   #217
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Well, Jim, since you are my guest and I am your host, what's your pleasure? What do you like to do?
Old 24th January 2020, 02:55 PM   #218
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Well, Jim, since you are my guest and I am your host, what's your pleasure? What do you like to do?
The other great line from Blazing Saddles that reflects a lot of political reality is:

"We have to do something quick to protect our phony baloney jobs".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2020, 09:09 AM   #219
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Shea has filed two "memorials" (?) in the state house requesting that various groups be investigated and designated as terrorist organizations. The Muslim Brotherhood is one such group, concerning events in Texas in 2008. Link

Several groups that are purportedly part of antifa are also named. Shea's undies are bunched because they talk of armed rebellion. Lol?
Old 8th February 2020, 12:12 PM   #220
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Shea has filed two "memorials" (?) in the state house requesting that various groups be investigated and designated as terrorist organizations. The Muslim Brotherhood is one such group, concerning events in Texas in 2008. Link

Several groups that are purportedly part of antifa are also named. Shea's undies are bunched because they talk of armed rebellion. Lol?
Remember, the 2A is important to protect the citizenry from th tyranny of an oppressive government. But if the wrong people try to stand up to an oppressive government, then it doesn't count.
Old 8th February 2020, 01:54 PM   #221
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Remember, the 2A is important to protect the citizenry from th tyranny of an oppressive government. But if the wrong people try to stand up to an oppressive government, then it doesn't count.

Like when the NRA supported a ban on open carry in California because Black Panthers were the ones carrying.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2020, 02:32 PM   #222
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Like when the NRA supported a ban on open carry in California because Black Panthers were the ones carrying.
Exactly. Only the right people get to decide whether the government is being tyrannical. Or should I said "only the white people"....
Old 8th February 2020, 09:12 PM   #223
Allen773
Graduate Poster

The other great line from Blazing Saddles that reflects a lot of political reality is:

What "jobs?"
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2020, 09:50 PM   #224
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Harrump!
Old 13th February 2020, 09:03 AM   #225
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Heather Scott, an elected state rep from Idaho, is in Shea's inner circle and she's a star in the Redoubt movement.

North Idaho Rep. Heather Scott reaps the glory — and the consequences — of being one of Matt Shea's biggest allies

This amusing tidbit caught my attention:
Quote:
During Scott's very first week in office in 2015, representing the northernmost part of Idaho, from Sandpoint up, fellow lawmakers watched her climb on her new desk in Boise and ask them if the little black object hanging from the wire on the ceiling could be a "listening device." She then pulled out a knife and cut it down.

But it wasn't a bug.

"We later learned that the object was believed to be a part of the Capitol building's fire suppression system," Idaho Republican state Reps. Caroline Nilsson Troy and Don Cheatham said in a statement.
Old 13th February 2020, 09:14 AM   #226
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Bet the desk had a phone on it.
Old 13th February 2020, 12:16 PM   #227
carlitos
"más divertido"

LOL. "Alexa are they really out to get me?"

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics