ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 5th February 2020, 12:34 PM   #121
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe she's just not proud of America anymore.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 12:40 PM   #122
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Has Trump made it Great yet?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 12:48 PM   #123
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Niether am I, since Dear Leader took over.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 01:08 PM   #124
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
As I see it, there are two choices:

1 - sit in a corner and cry
2 - see the funny side of it

I'll take #2 every day of the week.
Yes, I agree. #2 is the only reasonable option!
Old 5th February 2020, 01:20 PM   #125
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Hey, it's my favourite poster of all time! Great to see you still around.

Yes, I bumped the thread because the current crop of clowns the Democrats have lined up are keeping the Republicans laughing at how easily they'll be swept aside.

Michelle, on the other hand, has no chinks in her armour and the world is going to miss a great opportunity as a result of her not standing.
She's like the Captain Marvel of politics. More powerful than any other hero in the frame, but too busy saving all the other stuff that needs saving to actually do anything in the movie you're watching.

... She is out there saving stuff and demonstrating her powers, right?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 02:27 PM   #126
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

This thread is easily the most embarrassing thing to emerge from the southern hemisphere since the Lava Jato mess.
I have to agree with thepestige, and I don't even know what Lava Jato is.

It's embarrassingly shortsighted to say that the slow results in Iowa are going to play a major role come November. Yes, it's a hot topic today. Tomorrow, it'll be something else.

And there is precedent, here. The Iowa caucus has been screwed up before, and the other time, it was significantly worse. Nobody talked about it in the general election, because nobody cared. Chances are, very few of you even remember that this happened.

So please, just relax.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 02:46 PM   #127
ahhell
Illuminator

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
I have to agree with thepestige, and I don't even know what Lava Jato is.

It's embarrassingly shortsighted to say that the slow results in Iowa are going to play a major role come November. Yes, it's a hot topic today. Tomorrow, it'll be something else.

And there is precedent, here. The Iowa caucus has been screwed up before, and the other time, it was significantly worse. Nobody talked about it in the general election, because nobody cared. Chances are, very few of you even remember that this happened.

So please, just relax.
I'll disagree on my slight point. While nobody will be talking about it in the general, Iowa will have played a major role in the election if Buttigedge is the nominee. Any other outcome and you are absolutely right. But Mayor Pete was barely rating until this morning and it turns out he has something like 20-30% of the votes in Iowa. That means he actually matters now. That will probably change in N. Carolina but we'll see.

Other than that, this thread is remarkably silly.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 02:56 PM   #128
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I'll disagree on my slight point. While nobody will be talking about it in the general, Iowa will have played a major role in the election if Buttigedge is the nominee. Any other outcome and you are absolutely right. But Mayor Pete was barely rating until this morning and it turns out he has something like 20-30% of the votes in Iowa. That means he actually matters now. That will probably change in N. Carolina but we'll see.

Only to be expected seeing who started it...…

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 03:14 PM   #129
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I keep waiting for The Atheist to drop the other shoe, and start ridiculing everyone who thought his Michelle Obama hero worship was sincere.
Old 5th February 2020, 10:30 PM   #130
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

The sad reality is, she's out selling books and cashing in on her fame when she could be stopping Trump.
Who are you to tell this woman what she should be doing with her life? She wrote a very successful book and of course, like any author, she wants people to buy it. I can't understand why you are using such a sneering tone about someone you think should be saving the world. She
doesn't owe anything to you or anyone else. You're bashing her for not living up to your fantasies.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 10:59 PM   #131
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Trump's re-election is like cancer. Everything is going to cause it (except the one thing that whoever's talking is selling.)
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 11:38 PM   #132
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Who are you to tell this woman what she should be doing with her life?
I'm a person writing opinions on the internet, same as everyone else here.

I find it a little hypocritical that she claims to care so much, but when it comes to actually doing something, she's gone missing.

She
doesn't owe anything to you or anyone else. You're bashing her for not living up to your fantasies.
I'm hardly bashing her - Jesus, I was told after the OP that I was beatifying her!

I'm disappointed she isn't putting herself up. She's happy to make hay out of having been the president's wife, but won't take a job on to stop a disaster from happening to her country and the planet.
Old 5th February 2020, 11:52 PM   #133
Mumbles
Philosopher

Wonderful!

*I* think she put up with far more abuse than she deserved by the bigots that voted for Dolt 45, and if she watched them lose their family farms, their homes, and their children with a smile, I wouldn't fault her in the slightest.I suspect, however, that she's actually a kind and caring person, even towards those who spent a decade calling her fat, a man, an ape, and then screaming when she tried to get their kids to eat right.

I'm not, though, and while I'm not wallowing in it, I'm definitely not voting to help them out, I'm voting for actual good people to be helped out..
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 12:32 AM   #134
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Hey, it's my favourite poster of all time! Great to see you still around.
Thank you! Yes, 84 two days ago, great-grandson born the previous Tuesday and his parents' wedding to look forward to in September.
Quote:
Yes, I bumped the thread because the current crop of clowns the Democrats have lined up are keeping the Republicans laughing at how easily they'll be swept aside.

Michelle, on the other hand, has no chinks in her armour and the world is going to miss a great opportunity as a result of her not standing.
No doubt it is a daunting prospect for any decent, rational person to even think of, let alone want, to step into the minefield of politics these days.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 01:22 AM   #135
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I find it a little hypocritical that she claims to care so much, but when it comes to actually doing something, she's gone missing.

I'm hardly bashing her - Jesus, I was told after the OP that I was beatifying her!

I'm disappointed she isn't putting herself up. She's happy to make hay out of having been the president's wife, but won't take a job on to stop a disaster from happening to her country and the planet.
No. Sorry. She'd be making an 8-year commitment. Don't you reckon there some middle ground between doing "something" and shackling herself to one of the hardest jobs on the planet and losing the best years of her relative youth? You're "disappointed," call her a hypocrite and accuse her of being an parasite leeching every drop of wealth and fame from her husband's presidency as she can, even though she is clearly the only person who can save the world.

It's fine that you call for her to stand but you've adopted this sort of heckling tone, as if trying to shame her for her personal choices. It's not a very persuasive argument. It's her life to use as she sees fit.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 09:52 AM   #136
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
*I* think she put up with far more abuse than she deserved by the bigots that voted for Dolt 45, and if she watched them lose their family farms, their homes, and their children with a smile, I wouldn't fault her in the slightest.I suspect, however, that she's actually a kind and caring person, even towards those who spent a decade calling her fat, a man, an ape, and then screaming when she tried to get their kids to eat right.
See, I'd see all that as a good reason to go ahead, particularly when not doing so leads to another four years of exactly those people being enabled by the aforementioned racist, misogynist bully.

No. Sorry. She'd be making an 8-year commitment.
Don't you vote every four years?

Don't you reckon there some middle ground between doing "something" and shackling herself to one of the hardest jobs on the planet and losing the best years of her relative youth?
One of the hardest jobs on the planet? Are you serious?

The bloke doing it right now can barely tie his shoelaces, has no idea how things work, has bankrupted almost every company he's been involved in and can only write 3-4 words at a time, using a Sharpie. Trump is thicker than pig **** and hasn't just managed the job for almost four years, he's probably going to be doing it for four more.

It's fine that you call for her to stand but you've adopted this sort of heckling tone, as if trying to shame her for her personal choices. It's not a very persuasive argument. It's her life to use as she sees fit.
Of course it is, but I find a huge disconnect between her avowed position of making the world a better place then doing nothing about it.

The situation is unique, and entirely down to the immense number of racists, misogynists and evangelicals you have in USA. All of those people will support Trump no matter what he does, so it needs someone with some real respect to run against him, and she appears to be the only person in that place right now.
Old 6th February 2020, 10:28 AM   #137
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Yes, I agree. #2 is the only reasonable option!
Trump is a steaming pile of it!
Old 6th February 2020, 01:40 PM   #138
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Of course it is, but I find a huge disconnect between her avowed position of making the world a better place then doing nothing about it.
This deserves a false dichotomy award.

The situation is unique, and entirely down to the immense number of racists, misogynists and evangelicals you have in USA. All of those people will support Trump no matter what he does, so it needs someone with some real respect to run against him, and she appears to be the only person in that place right now.
I know you think you're giving her some kind of compliment, but you're asking her to put a big target on her back and her family's, to sign on for unceasing abuse from highly unpleasant people some of whom would happily make death and graphic rape threats against her kids. You think she has some kind of duty to this. Nope, none, zilch, zero, nada. She has no duty to make this sacrifice except in your own mind.
Old 6th February 2020, 02:08 PM   #139
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

She has no duty to make this sacrifice except in your own mind.
I don't think she has a duty to do it, but I know for certain that a lot of people would see it as their duty, were they in that position, given the alternative.

Maybe she has confidence that Creepy Joe can get the job done.
Old 6th February 2020, 02:23 PM   #140
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

One of the hardest jobs on the planet? Are you serious?

The bloke doing it right now can barely tie his shoelaces, has no idea how things work, has bankrupted almost every company he's been involved in and can only write 3-4 words at a time, using a Sharpie. Trump is thicker than pig **** and hasn't just managed the job for almost four years, he's probably going to be doing it for four more.
Here's the error in your thinking.

If a POTUS is aware of the world, and if a POTUS gives a damn about more than self-aggrandizement and wealth, I think it is indeed one of the hardest jobs. It may well be that Michelle is aware that she doesn't have what it takes, in addition to lifestyle preferences.
Old 6th February 2020, 03:09 PM   #141
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think she has a duty to do it, but I know for certain that a lot of people would see it as their duty, were they in that position, given the alternative.
How do you know this for certain?
Old 6th February 2020, 04:15 PM   #142
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Here's the error in your thinking.

If a POTUS is aware of the world, and if a POTUS gives a damn about more than self-aggrandizement and wealth, I think it is indeed one of the hardest jobs. It may well be that Michelle is aware that she doesn't have what it takes, in addition to lifestyle preferences.
Nah, not buying it. Obama and Clinton both spent enough time on the golf course - and in Clinton's case, a different type of hole - to say the job isn't that demanding.

A bit of pressure, sure, but a sensible president would surround him/herself with capable people who can be relied on to do their jobs.

Also, you're really offering good evidence with Trump - he's a moron, certainly doesn't give a damn about the country or anything outside his family, yet the country hasn't fallen apart.

How do you know this for certain?
The millions of people around the world who take on ridiculously dangerous or horrible jobs, simply because they need doing. Take Tony Abbott, former Aussie PM as a classic example - despite being almost a big a turd as Trump in many ways, he's out there fighting fires and risking his life as a volunteer fireman. Nobody makes him, he just does it.
Old 6th February 2020, 04:25 PM   #143
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The sad reality is, she's out selling books and cashing in on her fame when she could be stopping Trump.

[ . . . ]

I find a huge disconnect between her avowed position of making the world a better place then doing nothing about it.
Your idol appears to have feet of clay. Have you considered the possibility that she can't actually do the job, and that's why she's staying so far away from it?

Have you considered the possibility that her actions speak more loudly than her words, about the kind of person she is and the kind of priorities she actually has, and that she's not actually the presidential figure you're fantasizing about?
Old 6th February 2020, 05:48 PM   #144
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Your idol appears to have feet of clay. Have you considered the possibility that she can't actually do the job, and that's why she's staying so far away from it?
When Dubbya, his dad and Trump have all managed to be president, I think a dead fish could do the job, so nope, I don't rate that any possibility.

Have you considered the possibility that her actions speak more loudly than her words, about the kind of person she is and the kind of priorities she actually has, and that she's not actually the presidential figure you're fantasizing about?
"Presidential figure"?

I refer to the above troika of complete dolts and am happy to add in Bill Clinton to dispel the notion that there's such a thing as a presidential figure when it comes to USA. And you're not alone - UK has Johnson, France: Macron, Canada: Trudeau, and Aussie had Tony Abbott. Not one of them could lead a Boy Scout troop. yet became leader of their country.

If I broke it right down, I imagine having too much fun doing what she's doing is the prime motivator for her not getting involved.
Old 6th February 2020, 05:56 PM   #145
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Why are you pretending that simply getting put in the job equals being able to actually do it?
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 06:21 PM   #146
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

If I broke it right down, I imagine having too much fun doing what she's doing is the prime motivator for her not getting involved.
Why would you want a president that doesn't want the job?
Old 6th February 2020, 07:16 PM   #147
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

When Dubbya, his dad and Trump have all managed to be president, I think a dead fish could do the job, so nope, I don't rate that any possibility.
And yet there she is.

Quote:
"Presidential figure"?

I refer to the above troika of complete dolts and am happy to add in Bill Clinton to dispel the notion that there's such a thing as a presidential figure when it comes to USA. And you're not alone - UK has Johnson, France: Macron, Canada: Trudeau, and Aussie had Tony Abbott. Not one of them could lead a Boy Scout troop. yet became leader of their country.

Resolved: Michelle Obama would rather ride her husband's coattails, make money, and have fun, than be president. This from your own posts in this thread. Now you're lumping her in with all these other folks who are... not awesome.

This is all fine, of course. Except how does it explain the big slobbery love letter you opened this thread with?

You wish she'd be president because of what an awesome president you imagine she'd be. But by her actions it's pretty clear that she wouldn't be any more awesome than anyone else who might want the job. Which she clearly doesn't. Why do you want her so much?
Old 6th February 2020, 07:28 PM   #148
Venom
Illuminator

This thread is making me want to support a total and complete shutdown of non-Americans making threads about the U.S. until our forum mods can figure out what the hell is going on.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 08:26 PM   #149
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Let's consider that possibility.

How in Odin's name does that justify these nasty insinuations?
Old 6th February 2020, 08:33 PM   #150
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
This thread is making me want to support a total and complete shutdown of non-Americans making threads about the U.S. until our forum mods can figure out what the hell is going on.
Hey, you can gladly work on a suggestion I've been making for years - instead of building a wall to Mexicans out, the rest of the world should build a wall around USA to keep them all in.

Sadly, what your president does affects the entire planet, and for the past three years, it hasn't been going so well.
Old 6th February 2020, 08:35 PM   #151
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Resolved: Michelle Obama would rather ride her husband's coattails, make money, and have fun, than be president. This from your own posts in this thread. Now you're lumping her in with all these other folks who are... not awesome.
Can you even read?

I did not lump her in with them, I pointed out that even total morons can be president, so it would be a piece of cake for her.
Old 6th February 2020, 08:51 PM   #152
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
He accused everyone who distrusted the Chinese government on any point of being racist! This is after having ridiculed the Chinese government’s actions.
All these histrionics are just him showing off his "not racist" bona fides.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 08:51 PM   #153
Venom
Illuminator

Hey, you can gladly work on a suggestion I've been making for years - instead of building a wall to Mexicans out, the rest of the world should build a wall around USA to keep them all in.

Sadly, what your president does affects the entire planet, and for the past three years, it hasn't been going so well.
What do you want us to do about Trump though? March to the White House and drag him out ourselves?
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 10:45 PM   #154
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Dear Michelle,

I would so totally like to DO you!

XOXOXOXOXO

Signed

The Atheist
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 11:24 PM   #155
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

What do you want us to do about Trump though? March to the White House and drag him out ourselves?
Pretty simple really.

Spend the entire four years of his presidency working towards removing him, instead of the utter balls-up to date.

The Dems seem to have split into two factions that are as bitterly opposed to each other as they are towards Trump.

My estimation - and that of bookies around the world - is that there is very little chance of removing Trump this election.

Personally, I'd be dead happy - I stand to win $300 if he stays on.

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Dear Michelle,

I would so totally like to DO you!
Don't be putting your fantasies onto me, mate.

I like my women petite and blonde, which are not two traits of Michelle's.

I admire her attitude & brains, not her body.
Old 7th February 2020, 12:18 AM   #156
Venom
Illuminator

Pretty simple really.

Spend the entire four years of his presidency working towards removing him, instead of the utter balls-up to date.
imo they botched it with the impeachment articles presented late last year.
I wish they brought up the obstruction charges in the Mueller paper.

Still, nothing more can be done to resist him effectively as long as the Senate continues to obstruct. We can protest outside of the White House 'til our noses and lips get numb. But they won't listen. I can phone and mail my senators until my fingernails wear out. But both of them are Trump stooges.

You're not talking to the people who need to be talked to to have Trump removed from office.
Old 7th February 2020, 12:30 AM   #157
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

You're not talking to the people who need to be talked to to have Trump removed from office.
I don't believe they'd listen any more than Trump supporters listen to opposing voices.

Political affiliations seem to be replacing - or in the case of American evangelicals, merging with - religion.

Mine is the One True God Political Party.

Just take a look at the hysterical opposition to the progressive wing of the Democrats, who are so far left they'd almost qualify as a left party in the English-speaking British Commonwealth.

Those are all things someone like Michelle Obama - admired by all but the most insane alt-rights, who can be safely ignored anyway - could fix. Not to mention the spin-off effect on Senate voting. Just imagine her in the WH, a Senate and Congressional majority.
Old 7th February 2020, 11:40 AM   #158
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Let's consider that possibility.

How in Odin's name does that justify these nasty insinuations?
Which nasty insinuations? The Atheist's insinuations that she'd rather make money and have fun than try to defeat Trump? I assume those stand or fall on their own. They don't need any outside justification. But if she doesn't think she could do the job, it would explain why she's focusing on other stuff instead.
Old 7th February 2020, 11:46 AM   #159
Baylor
Philosopher

Just imagine her in the WH, a Senate and Congressional majority.
"A Senate and Congressional majority?" Huh? "Senate and Congressional majority" is something you can only hear when an "international" skeptic comments on US politics after reading a bugman news site like raw story.

I'm looking forward to dinner tonight. I'm eating half a pizza and also the whole pizza.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th February 2020, 11:46 AM   #160
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Can you even read?

I did not lump her in with them, I pointed out that even total morons can be president, so it would be a piece of cake for her.
And I agree with that point. But a lot of the people on your list seem to treat political office as an opportunity to have fun and make money. And as you say, that seems to be about where Michelle Obama is, in terms of how she wants to live her life. She's not really setting herself apart from these other morons.

In summary, by her actions, you think she doesn't want to save the world, is just interested in getting rich and having fun. But you still think she'd be a wonderful president. In spite of her living a life that suggests pretty much the opposite.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics