ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez , democratic party

Closed Thread
Old 5th February 2020, 07:47 AM   #361
rockysmith76
Muse
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 829
Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Maybe Cabbage doesn’t use conspiracy theories to assess how corrupt someone is…
Or he's deliberately ignorant of all the baggage both Clintons have. Trump had plenty to, but there's of luggage for all there. Seeing things one sides is not seeing the bigger picture.

Laysmans terms: There's nothing morally superior about being a Leftie.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 08:32 AM   #362
Cabbage
Master Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,152
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Like a Clinton......?

Compared to Donald?? Absolutely!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 08:33 AM   #363
Cabbage
Master Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,152
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Or he's deliberately ignorant of all the baggage both Clintons have. Trump had plenty to, but there's of luggage for all there. Seeing things one sides is not seeing the bigger picture.

Laysmans terms: There's nothing morally superior about being a Leftie.


And the bigger picture is: Trump is more corrupt.

Simple!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 08:37 AM   #364
Cabbage
Master Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,152
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Doesn't seem that way to me. But whatever you say.

I can't open your eyes for you, man.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 08:37 AM   #365
rockysmith76
Muse
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 829
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
And the bigger picture is: Trump is more corrupt.

Simple!
Bull Puckey, Leftie smugness without an answer is as palpable a force, some are just too Outraged to see the useless of their own vitriol. Big fat IKYABWAI in 3, 2, ....
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 08:42 AM   #366
Cabbage
Master Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,152
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Bull Puckey, Leftie smugness without an answer is as palpable a force, some are just too Outraged to see the useless of their own vitriol. Big fat IKYABWAI in 3, 2, ....

Leftie smugness? No. Rightie ignorance.

That's the problem here.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 08:49 AM   #367
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 41,828
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I can't open your eyes for you, man.
Probably best not to worry about it. Just say what you think and why, and let others make up their own minds.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 08:49 AM   #368
rockysmith76
Muse
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 829
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Leftie smugness? No. Rightie ignorance.

That's the problem here.
Not a rightie, so Leftie blindness I guess, because all who disagree must of course be the enemy. Partisan stupidity.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 08:50 AM   #369
rockysmith76
Muse
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 829
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Probably best not to worry about it. Just say what you think and why, and let others make up their own minds.
That's not the Leftie way.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 08:54 AM   #370
ahhell
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,064
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Bull Puckey, Leftie smugness without an answer is as palpable a force, some are just too Outraged to see the useless of their own vitriol. Big fat IKYABWAI in 3, 2, ....
Just heard an interview with James Carville, who admit is not left enough for many lefties, make this same point.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 09:02 AM   #371
Grizzly Bear
このマスクによっ
 
Grizzly Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,861
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Leftie smugness? No. Rightie ignorance.

That's the problem here.
More like everybody has crawled into their corners and refuse to move from them... preferring to bury their peers even deeper into their corners. Going to be honest, I have the same issues with AOC that I have with Trump. She isnt likeable in personality, and she doesnt strike me as someone that would sit down with anyone for serious policy discussions in the public eye. Her race card comments against conservatives not withstanding, she's leveraged it on pelosi... and while I'm no fan of pelosi either that sort of conduct devalues legitimate calls against social issues that deserve better attention and cripple civil debate.

The only reason I give Trump remotely any leeway over my views of his trolling is because of the economic performance and achievements being stabilized. But that's about it with me, and I had to see it happen before I had the optimism. Aoc's designation as a 'socialist' or none... she presents herself as a populist along with her policy inclinations. Forget about leftist or right wing views... I'd rather have someone who is willing to be more straight about their policy goals and be capable of advising the realistic necessities of implementing them.
__________________

Last edited by Grizzly Bear; 5th February 2020 at 09:03 AM.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 09:50 AM   #372
Cabbage
Master Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,152
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Probably best not to worry about it. Just say what you think and why, and let others make up their own minds.

It's actually not a matter of opinion, but some people have an intolerance for reality.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 09:51 AM   #373
Cabbage
Master Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,152
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Not a rightie, so Leftie blindness I guess, because all who disagree must of course be the enemy. Partisan stupidity.

Relax, calling someone ignorant isn't an attack.

And I never said ignorance was unique to the right nor that you are a rightie.
Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 0 and rule 12.

Last edited by zooterkin; 10th February 2020 at 01:40 PM.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 05:37 PM   #374
Grizzly Bear
このマスクによっ
 
Grizzly Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,861
Another observation I've made is that voters have policy decisions and other factors that influence their votes on overall balance. I dont think it unrealistic that people might vote for a candidate that they believe is flawed, if policy and results... or even their perceived lesser of evils pushes their decision-making. This isnt a Trump exclusive decision making issue, people vote in this matter all the time.
__________________
Grizzly Bear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 10:32 PM   #375
xjx388
Philosopher
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,820
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I can back up anything I've claimed to be fact. I'm just waiting for you to specify what you take issue with; I'm not gonna break my back trying to support Every. Single. Thing. I've said. Go ahead, I'm listening: What is it that I have claimed to be a fact that you take issue with?



Any day now.....



(Just admit it: It was an empty boast on your part and now you can't back it up, can you?)

I take issue with your style of gloomy generalizations that you claim as fact: “Trump supporters are denying reality. I’m just reporting facts.” Now, you are entitled to interpret your observations of people’s actions (the facts of what they said and did) any way you see fit. Your interpretation of those observations is quite obviously opinion, not fact.

It’s my opinion that AOC and Bernie supporters are naive and deny the reality of the political and sociocultural situation of the US. But I would never claim my opinion is a fact.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 11:13 PM   #376
Cabbage
Master Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,152
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I take issue with your style of gloomy generalizations that you claim as fact: “Trump supporters are denying reality. I’m just reporting facts.” Now, you are entitled to interpret your observations of people’s actions (the facts of what they said and did) any way you see fit. Your interpretation of those observations is quite obviously opinion, not fact.

Is that a verbatim quote of mine? I did a quick search in this thread and didn't find it; at any rate, yes, I've said things along those lines, so I will give you the benefit of any doubt:

Ah, but it can be shown that they are denying reality. That is what you are missing. An example:


Quote:
Following a speech on the Senate floor on Tuesday in which she announced she’ll vote to acquit, Collins told Norah O’Donnell of CBS that she believes Trump “has learned from this case” and “will be much more cautious in the future.”

Getting impeached “is a pretty big lesson,” Collins said — the implication being that Trump will be chastened going forward from trying to pervert diplomacy into an opposition research opportunity, as he did with the Ukrainian government.

Collins’s hopefulness about Trump changing his behavior is absurd on his face. Trump has spent five months insisting that a phone call he had with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky that’s at the heart of his impeachment — one in which Trump implicitly linked military aid to Ukraine with the country helping him with investigations of his political rivals — is “perfect.”
https://www.vox.com/2020/2/5/2112397...ment-acquittal


Like so many Trump supporters, sycophants, and enablers, she is in absolute denial of the reality of the type of person Trump is.

For another example, have a look at the video on this page:

https://www.bet.com/news/national/20...supporter.html

And for a good laugh, have a look at some of the nonsense with QAnon.

Honestly, at this stage if you are not familiar with the fact that many Trump supporters are in denial of reality, I would worry about your own grasp on reality: It's absolutely been well documented. Repeatedly.

Quote:
It’s my opinion that AOC and Bernie supporters are naive and deny the reality of the political and sociocultural situation of the US. But I would never claim my opinion is a fact.

Probably because you don't have good evidence for it (like I have for mine).
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 11:40 PM   #377
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,439
Originally Posted by grunion View Post
Primarily because the nation was founded on the sins of slavery and genocide with a heaping spoonful of insularity from the rest of the industrialized world and the warped view of Christianity, fear of brown-skinned people and false sense of entitlement spawned from that poisonous recipe.
If the United States had always been more conservative than the rest of the world, you might have a case. But note that we had FDR in 1933, while England did not have a Labour Prime Minister until after WWII ended. I suspect if you look at the rest of Western Euroope, you'll find the same thing; left-wing governments only became in vogue after 1945.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 12:16 AM   #378
xjx388
Philosopher
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,820
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: "We don't have a left party in the U.S."

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Is that a verbatim quote of mine? I did a quick search in this thread and didn't find it; at any rate, yes, I've said things along those lines, so I will give you the benefit of any doubt:
You said:

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Trump supporters are in denial of reality. I commented on that observation. Even if you think I am merely trying to be insulting, you're coming off to me as being overly sensitive. I am merely reporting the facts.

Quote:
Ah, but it can be shown that they are denying reality. That is what you are missing. An example:



https://www.vox.com/2020/2/5/2112397...ment-acquittal



Like so many Trump supporters, sycophants, and enablers, she is in absolute denial of the reality of the type of person Trump is.
Thank you for posting such a clear illustration of my point. You link to an article about what Collins said, then proceed to tell us your opinion about how to interpret what she said.



Quote:
For another example...
Again, you link to things people say and then put your own spin on it. Opinion.
Quote:
Honestly, at this stage if you are not familiar with the fact that many Trump supporters are in denial of reality, I would worry about your own grasp on reality: It's absolutely been well documented. Repeatedly.
You have now added a new qualifier: “many Trump supporters.” Backpedaling noted.

Quote:
Probably because you don't have good evidence for it (like I have for mine).
OR: I know the difference between a fact and an opinion. The only facts in the political realm are things people say and do. Your interpretations thereof are -say it with me- your opinion.


AOC says there is no left party in the US, she supports Medicare-for-all, she proposed the “Green New Deal.” I think this reflects naïveté and a fundamentally flawed view of the politics of the nation as a whole.
__________________
Hello.

Last edited by xjx388; 6th February 2020 at 12:18 AM.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 12:23 AM   #379
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,571
It's a fact that Trump supporters are in denial of reality. The problem is that they are so in denial of reality that it cannot be shown to them, because they will simply assert that what is shown is not reality but merely opinion. For an example, see above.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 01:04 AM   #380
xjx388
Philosopher
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,820
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
It's a fact that Trump supporters are in denial of reality. The problem is that they are so in denial of reality that it cannot be shown to them, because they will simply assert that what is shown is not reality but merely opinion. For an example, see above.


It’s not even a fact that I’m a Trump supporter...
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 01:29 AM   #381
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,571
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
It’s not even a fact that I’m a Trump supporter...
You just spend your time here making excuses for him.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 02:14 AM   #382
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 26,926
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
If the United States had always been more conservative than the rest of the world, you might have a case. But note that we had FDR in 1933, while England did not have a Labour Prime Minister until after WWII ended.
Well, the Labour party was only founded in 1900. And you're wrong. Ramsay MacDonald was Prime Minister in 1924, and from 1931-35. It's also worth noting that the wartime government was a coalition which included Labour.

Before Labour there was the Liberal party, which founded the British welfare state.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 04:39 AM   #383
rockysmith76
Muse
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 829
Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
More like everybody has crawled into their corners and refuse to move from them... preferring to bury their peers even deeper into their corners. Going to be honest, I have the same issues with AOC that I have with Trump. She isnt likeable in personality, and she doesnt strike me as someone that would sit down with anyone for serious policy discussions in the public eye. Her race card comments against conservatives not withstanding, she's leveraged it on pelosi... and while I'm no fan of pelosi either that sort of conduct devalues legitimate calls against social issues that deserve better attention and cripple civil debate.

The only reason I give Trump remotely any leeway over my views of his trolling is because of the economic performance and achievements being stabilized. But that's about it with me, and I had to see it happen before I had the optimism. Aoc's designation as a 'socialist' or none... she presents herself as a populist along with her policy inclinations. Forget about leftist or right wing views... I'd rather have someone who is willing to be more straight about their policy goals and be capable of advising the realistic necessities of implementing them.
a good analogy. well put.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 04:41 AM   #384
rockysmith76
Muse
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 829
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Relax, calling someone ignorant isn't an attack.

And I never said ignorance was unique to the right nor that you are a rightie.

Do you always get triggered so easily?
Noone's triggered just pointing out the Left's tendency to believe they have a monopoly on truth, they don't. Any more than does the other side of the coin. "But the other side is so much worse....." in 3....,2.....
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 07:15 AM   #385
ahhell
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,064
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Not sure why you have to try to be insulting all the time.
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Noone's triggered just pointing out the Left's tendency to believe they have a monopoly on truth, they don't. Any more than does the other side of the coin. "But the other side is so much worse....." in 3....,2.....
I think what you guys may be missing is that lefties really don't get how insulting they are. They read "What's wrong with Kansas?" and think, yeah, what is wrong with Kansas and don't understand why Kansas responds with, "What's wrong with you, you smug condescending jerkass?"

Also, after the last two or three pages, I'm even more convinced that CP is probably a poe.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 07:17 AM   #386
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,571
Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I think what you guys may be missing is that lefties really don't get how insulting they are. They read "What's wrong with Kansas?" and think, yeah, what is wrong with Kansas and don't understand why Kansas responds with, "What's wrong with you, you smug condescending jerkass?"

Also, after the last two or three pages, I'm even more convinced that CP is probably a poe.
Aw, boohoo.

When you guys start calling out the insulter in chief you get to talk about people on the forums being mean to you.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 6th February 2020 at 07:19 AM.
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 07:36 AM   #387
ahhell
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,064
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Aw, boohoo.

When you guys start calling out the insulter in chief you get to talk about people on the forums being mean to you.
Listen that wasn't me crying that was me offering you lefties some advice on how not to drive away most voters. If you're some dude in Illinios who's dad worked that the closed down factory, are you going to vote for the folks that keeping making it clear that they have nothing but disdain for you?

Aside from that, I think I've made it quite clear that I think Trump is a boorish, ignorant man-child, but we all know that*, there's not much point in beating that dead horse. I would love to seem him not win in november, but the smug condescension from you lefties and the Dems is going to ensure he wins. I am kind of sorry for you guys. Its really gonna up end your world when that happens and you will continue to be oblivious as to why.

*With rare exception even his supporters know that. For some of them its a selling point.

Last edited by ahhell; 6th February 2020 at 07:37 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 07:36 AM   #388
Cabbage
Master Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,152
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Thank you for posting such a clear illustration of my point. You link to an article about what Collins said, then proceed to tell us your opinion about how to interpret what she said.
No, I pointed out the fact that her statements that Trump has learned from this case” and “will be much more cautious in the future” is inconsistent with the reality of how Trump has actually responded.



Quote:
Again, you link to things people say and then put your own spin on it. Opinion.
You have now added a new qualifier: “many Trump supporters.” Backpedaling noted.
It's not backpedaling, that was the intent of my comment to begin with. Note that I didn't say all Trump supporters, either: In fact, I'm sure that many of them are very aware they voted for a disruptive candidate and know that he's corrupt. There's plenty of them that deny reality that I feel comfortable saying, "Trump supporters deny reality" while acknowledging the fact that's not a universal statement about Trump supporters.

Quote:
OR: I know the difference between a fact and an opinion. The only facts in the political realm are things people say and do.

No. How well it does or does not reflect reality is a matter of fact, too. If someone tells me it's raining on a sunny day, they are denying reality: That's a fact, not merely opinion.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 07:41 AM   #389
Cabbage
Master Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,152
Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I think what you guys may be missing is that lefties really don't get how insulting they are. They read "What's wrong with Kansas?" and think, yeah, what is wrong with Kansas and don't understand why Kansas responds with, "What's wrong with you, you smug condescending jerkass?"

Also, after the last two or three pages, I'm even more convinced that CP is probably a poe.

Oh, but when they ask, "What's wrong with California?" they think Californians should absolutely suck up and take it like a man, otherwise they're a bunch of libtard snowflakes, amirite?


Last edited by Cabbage; 6th February 2020 at 07:50 AM.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 07:42 AM   #390
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,571
Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Listen that wasn't me crying that was me offering you lefties some advice on how not to drive away most voters. If you're some dude in Illinios who's dad worked that the closed down factory, are you going to vote for the folks that keeping making it clear that they have nothing but disdain for you?
Nope, and the same person wouldn't even if he was treated with wine and cake and told he could have an ethnically pure homeland. He's already locked in. It's pointless pandering to that person.

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Aside from that, I think I've made it quite clear that I think Trump is a boorish, ignorant man-child, but we all know that*, there's not much point in beating that dead horse. I would love to seem him not win in november, but the smug condescension from you lefties and the Dems is going to ensure he wins. I am kind of sorry for you guys. Its really gonna up end your world when that happens and you will continue to be oblivious as to why.

*With rare exception even his supporters know that. For some of them its a selling point.
Why are you sorry for us? If you don't like him and think he's a boorish ignorant man-child, wouldn't you be equally sad if he won? Shouldn't you be out canvassing for Democrats?

Or are you a simple concern troll?
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 07:50 AM   #391
Cabbage
Master Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,152
Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Listen that wasn't me crying that was me offering you lefties some advice on how not to drive away most voters. If you're some dude in Illinios who's dad worked that the closed down factory, are you going to vote for the folks that keeping making it clear that they have nothing but disdain for you?

Aside from that, I think I've made it quite clear that I think Trump is a boorish, ignorant man-child, but we all know that*, there's not much point in beating that dead horse. I would love to seem him not win in november, but the smug condescension from you lefties and the Dems is going to ensure he wins. I am kind of sorry for you guys. Its really gonna up end your world when that happens and you will continue to be oblivious as to why.

*With rare exception even his supporters know that. For some of them its a selling point.

You know, the irony of the highlighted portion is: By that very same logic, Trump ensures he loses.

Something tells me something is missing from the argument.....
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 07:54 AM   #392
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 48,551
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I take issue with your style of gloomy generalizations that you claim as fact: “Trump supporters are denying reality. I’m just reporting facts.” Now, you are entitled to interpret your observations of people’s actions (the facts of what they said and did) any way you see fit. Your interpretation of those observations is quite obviously opinion, not fact.

It’s my opinion that AOC and Bernie supporters are naive and deny the reality of the political and sociocultural situation of the US. But I would never claim my opinion is a fact.
And the reality is that we have left behind objective reality and gone full post modernist. There is no difference between truth and what you want to be true, just ask any republican.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 07:57 AM   #393
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 48,551
Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I think what you guys may be missing is that lefties really don't get how insulting they are. They read "What's wrong with Kansas?" and think, yeah, what is wrong with Kansas and don't understand why Kansas responds with, "What's wrong with you, you smug condescending jerkass?"

Also, after the last two or three pages, I'm even more convinced that CP is probably a poe.
It is just punching back, that is down right presidential. Think of it in those terms and why are they suddenly so upset? Like a woman who had the privilege of having her pussy grabbed by a powerful man they are making a big deal over nothing.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 07:58 AM   #394
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 48,551
Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Listen that wasn't me crying that was me offering you lefties some advice on how not to drive away most voters. If you're some dude in Illinios who's dad worked that the closed down factory, are you going to vote for the folks that keeping making it clear that they have nothing but disdain for you?

Aside from that, I think I've made it quite clear that I think Trump is a boorish, ignorant man-child, but we all know that*, there's not much point in beating that dead horse. I would love to seem him not win in november, but the smug condescension from you lefties and the Dems is going to ensure he wins. I am kind of sorry for you guys. Its really gonna up end your world when that happens and you will continue to be oblivious as to why.

*With rare exception even his supporters know that. For some of them its a selling point.
Smug condescension of Trump is winning with these voters why is it a bad thing?
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 08:01 AM   #395
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 48,551
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Oh, but when they ask, "What's wrong with California?" they think Californians should absolutely suck up and take it like a man, otherwise they're a bunch of libtard snowflakes, amirite?

I think there is an awful lot wrong with California. Far too many voter referendums for one. I know that would involve reading and paying attention to the actual position something you think is clearly beyond middle america. They are perfect and totally the victims of the blacks and Jews or something to explain the actual problems they have.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 08:11 AM   #396
ahhell
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,064
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Nope, and the same person wouldn't even if he was treated with wine and cake and told he could have an ethnically pure homeland. He's already locked in. It's pointless pandering to that person.

Why are you sorry for us? If you don't like him and think he's a boorish ignorant man-child, wouldn't you be equally sad if he won? Shouldn't you be out canvassing for Democrats?

Or are you a simple concern troll?
Because it will take you by surprise and you won't understand it. The narrative will still be about all those racist rednecks.

Responding to other posts, at least the conservative who talk about California insultingly understand that its insulting, and generally its also about the smugness of the coastal elites.

And yes, Trump is smug, but there is something different about. I think about that a bit and try and identify the difference. Partly, its because he isn't condescending.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 08:19 AM   #397
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 18,605
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Oh, but when they ask, "What's wrong with California?" they think Californians should absolutely suck up and take it like a man, otherwise they're a bunch of libtard snowflakes, amirite?

Oh please. They don't ask, "What's wrong with California?"

They just come out and say it sucks directly and blame it on the Jews and the Mexicans.

But don't you dare question the good people of Kansas.
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Chloe, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 08:20 AM   #398
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 88,326
Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I think what you guys may be missing is that lefties really don't get how insulting they are.
As opposed to righties who know exactly how insulting they are.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 08:21 AM   #399
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 18,605
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And the reality is that we have left behind objective reality and gone full post modernist. There is no difference between truth and what you want to be true, just ask any republican.
At the Iowa rally last week or whenever, Joe Walsh asked people standing in line if they believed Trump ever lied.

They asserted he didn't. He has NEVER lied. It's all fake news.

That's a Trump supporter who has no concept of reality.
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Chloe, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 08:33 AM   #400
Cabbage
Master Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,152
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
I think there is an awful lot wrong with California. Far too many voter referendums for one. I know that would involve reading and paying attention to the actual position something you think is clearly beyond middle america. They are perfect and totally the victims of the blacks and Jews or something to explain the actual problems they have.


I'm not saying anything is or is not wrong with California. I'm pointing out that it's not OK to hold Democrats to a standard where they can't point out issues with Republicans simply because they come off as "insulting".
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:17 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.