ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th February 2020, 12:33 PM   #1
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Why is it always "The Great state of [insert state name here]?"

Everywhere one turns in US media, when some personage is introduced they're almost invariably from "the Great state of Kentucky", or "the Great state of Vermont", etc. Or when pols are yakking about folk somewhere; it's always the "Great" state they live in.

If they're *all* Great, then none are. Why this odd affectation? What other self-confident nation does this? Up here, we don't have peeps being hailed in this smarmy fashion as from "the Great province of Saskatchewan." If they are, it's seldom enough to maybe mean something.

Last edited by Lurch; 4th February 2020 at 12:38 PM.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 12:36 PM   #2
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

For the same reason it's always, "Ladies and gentlemen" even though they often aren't: manners.
Old 4th February 2020, 12:37 PM   #3
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Old US political tradition; please note both parties do it.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 12:38 PM   #4
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Everywhere one turns in US media, when some personage is introduced they're almost invariably from "the Great state of Kentucky", or "the Great state of Vermont", etc. Or when pols are yakking about folk somewhere; it's always the "Great" state they live in.

If they're *all* Great, then none are. Why this odd affectation? What other self-confident nation does this? Up here, we don't have peeps being hailed in this smarmy fashion as from "the Great province of Saskatchewan."
Americans and Canadians are different and do things in a different way. Surprise.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 12:44 PM   #5
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's actually "The Great State of..." for every state except Florida which is officially "The State of... *Pause, deep sigh* Florida."
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 12:47 PM   #6
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

If they're *all* Great, then none are.
Depends on your basis of comparison. If you're only comparing states to each other, then yes. If you allow comparisons with other countries, then in principle they can all be great.

Quote:
Why this odd affectation?
Because if you want people to vote for you, you compliment them.

Quote:
What other self-confident nation does this? Up here, we don't have peeps being hailed in this smarmy fashion as from "the Great province of Saskatchewan." If they are, it's seldom enough to maybe mean something.
We are a union of states. Canada is not a union of provinces. State identity means something more in the US than it does in many other countries.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 01:02 PM   #7
ahhell
Illuminator

What adjectives rhyme with province or territory? The answer is none or your politicians would be doing it too. Its the same reason musicians say, "Are you ready to rock insert the name of your city hear!"

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It's actually "The Great State of..." for every state except Florida which is officially "The State of... *Pause, deep sigh whispers, are you sure its a state, really?* Florida."
FTFY
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 01:11 PM   #8
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

It's also something he heard often from an entertainment colleague, who is "A great... entertainer... A great... humanitarian... and my deepest, closest friend for (umpty-ump) years!"
Old 4th February 2020, 01:17 PM   #9
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

If I were a politician, I'd start changing things up. Instead of "Great state of..." I'd start referring to them as "The awesome state of... " or the "state that totally kicks butt...".

Except for Florida, in which case I would refer to it as "America's wang... Florida".

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 01:27 PM   #10
plague311
Great minds think...

It's actually "The Great State of..." for every state except Florida which is officially "The State of... *Pause, deep sigh* Florida."
At least people have heard of it. Bring up NoDak and the blank stare you get in return is expected.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 01:31 PM   #11
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Because no one wants a video clip of them referring to "the mediocre state of wherever" showing up in one of their opponent's attack ads. It's like the whole "God bless the United States" line the President always uses. It's become standard boilerplate, and they'll be excoriated if they fail to include it now.
Old 4th February 2020, 01:42 PM   #12
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
At least people have heard of it. Bring up NoDak and the blank stare you get in return is expected.
"Grandpa that flag only has 49 stars."
"It will be a cold day in Hell before I recognize Missouri!"
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 01:47 PM   #13
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks to Trump, you don't have to. Just assume its all part of Kansas!

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 01:47 PM   #14
plague311
Great minds think...

In 2008 a crew of us went to a Yankees game in NY (last season of old Yankees Stadium). I was drunkenly **** talking when my buddy next to me asked if I wanted to come with him to the bathroom and I said, "Oh fer sure" (which must have gave me away). I was ridiculed for the rest of the game because NYorkers thought we still rode horses and ****.

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Thanks to Trump, you don't have to. Just assume its all part of Kansas!
I had a few friends that said, "That's an easy mistake to make. I mean, come on".

No, it's really not.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 01:50 PM   #15
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Because no politician would have the unmitigated audacity to say anything less. In other words, it's being a pandering kiss-ass.
Old 4th February 2020, 02:35 PM   #16
angrysoba
Philosophile

It’s nearly always said sarcastically.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 06:29 PM   #17
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
In 2008 a crew of us went to a Yankees game in NY (last season of old Yankees Stadium). I was drunkenly **** talking when my buddy next to me asked if I wanted to come with him to the bathroom and I said, "Oh fer sure" (which must have gave me away). I was ridiculed for the rest of the game because NYorkers thought we still rode horses and ****.

I had a few friends that said, "That's an easy mistake to make. I mean, come on".

No, it's really not.
Wait. You don't? Dang. Crossing off N Dakota from my 'to do' list.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 06:32 PM   #18
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
It’s nearly always said sarcastically.
True. I mean, can you even keep a straight face when saying "The Great State of Mississippi"?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 06:47 PM   #19
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If they're *all* Great, then none are. Why this odd affectation? What other self-confident nation does this? Up here, we don't have peeps being hailed in this smarmy fashion as from "the Great province of Saskatchewan." If they are, it's seldom enough to maybe mean something.
This seems like a really weird and mean spirited thing to complain about. Is there something else bugging you?

Or is life so good that you literally have no more serious problems on your mind?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 07:02 PM   #20
Baylor
Philosopher

Last edited by Baylor; 4th February 2020 at 07:08 PM.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 07:44 PM   #21
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
This seems like a really weird and mean spirited thing to complain about. Is there something else bugging you?

Or is life so good that you literally have no more serious problems on your mind?
I'd thank your for your concern if I knew it to be genuine. If something else was bugging me I'd bring up that something else.

I can kind of understand pols doing this to suck up. But numerous talking head interviewers (e.g., Rachel Maddow) do this a lot. It comes across as a meaningless, reflexive tic of sorts. Again, if all are Great (except Florida, it seems ), then none are Great.

It's not unlike the habit of folks asking someone, "How are you?", when often the last thing on their mind is the other's state of being. Before the words are uttered, their mind is already forgetting, having moved to what they really want. That reminds me...

We had an infamous, opinionated, right-leaning AM radio talking head who made it well known that he didn't respond to being asked how he was. Every show he'd get callers asking anyway, to which the producer often played a cannon shot. You could tell that the reflexive question was asked *only* because it was pure habit, given the instant embarrassment shown by some number of those callers, especially if the *previous* caller was so handled while they listened in the queue.

In this interrogative I take an iconoclastic stance of my own by responding with, "Fair to middlin'." If the inquisitor is actually listening, how often it induces a pause, with quizzical look. The drivel of the disingenuous two-step of the "How are you?" followed by the expected, Pavlovian "Good", bores and irritates. It's even beneath what we call small talk.

And this "Great state of..." nonsense irritates because of its general insincerity and outlandish frequency. I guess I prefer vocal expression to be more genuine. Obvious tripe is bad enough from the people in one's life. Those paid to communicate on a large stage get rather less concilliation from me.

Anyhoo, there are indeed innumerable other and more important issues to occupy a concerned mind. But some of us can diversify, which process is facilitated by not wallowing in endless, time-wasting, circular argument that unrolls over dozens of pages on a discussion forum. Something a little different must surely serve as a welcome diversion from the tedium, however momentary.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 07:58 PM   #22
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

"The darkly sensual state of Michigan"
"The rambunctiously titillating state of Virgina"
"The oh-so-coy but come-hither state of Wyoming"
"The beefalicious slab of prime state meat that is Connecticut"
"The audaciously fey and supremely fabulous state of Texas"
Old 4th February 2020, 08:13 PM   #23
Baylor
Philosopher

I'd thank your for your concern if I knew it to be genuine. If something else was bugging me I'd bring up that something else.

I can kind of understand pols doing this to suck up. But numerous talking head interviewers (e.g., Rachel Maddow) do this a lot. It comes across as a meaningless, reflexive tic of sorts. Again, if all are Great (except Florida, it seems ), then none are Great.

It's not unlike the habit of folks asking someone, "How are you?", when often the last thing on their mind is the other's state of being. Before the words are uttered, their mind is already forgetting, having moved to what they really want. That reminds me...

We had an infamous, opinionated, right-leaning AM radio talking head who made it well known that he didn't respond to being asked how he was. Every show he'd get callers asking anyway, to which the producer often played a cannon shot. You could tell that the reflexive question was asked *only* because it was pure habit, given the instant embarrassment shown by some number of those callers, especially if the *previous* caller was so handled while they listened in the queue.

In this interrogative I take an iconoclastic stance of my own by responding with, "Fair to middlin'." If the inquisitor is actually listening, how often it induces a pause, with quizzical look. The drivel of the disingenuous two-step of the "How are you?" followed by the expected, Pavlovian "Good", bores and irritates. It's even beneath what we call small talk.

And this "Great state of..." nonsense irritates because of its general insincerity and outlandish frequency. I guess I prefer vocal expression to be more genuine. Obvious tripe is bad enough from the people in one's life. Those paid to communicate on a large stage get rather less concilliation from me.

Anyhoo, there are indeed innumerable other and more important issues to occupy a concerned mind. But some of us can diversify, which process is facilitated by not wallowing in endless, time-wasting, circular argument that unrolls over dozens of pages on a discussion forum. Something a little different must surely serve as a welcome diversion from the tedium, however momentary.

Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 08:20 PM   #24
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I've never thought of Texas as gay, but then again, it's just lying there with its panhandle standing up big and hard, just begging for you to enter Galveston Bay.
"The IPA craze has resulted in lots of bitter beers that taste like a nondescript piece of fruit got gang rapped (sic) by a bunch of hops in a prison shower." - Craig4
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 08:35 PM   #25
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I've never thought of Texas as gay, but then again, it's just lying there with its panhandle standing up big and hard, just begging for you to enter Galveston Bay.

Texas is as straight as America's armed forces.
Old 4th February 2020, 09:20 PM   #26
Steve
Philosopher

All states are great, just as all countries are great, because all residents need to feel more special than the guys next door. It’s to do with inferiority complex.
Old 4th February 2020, 09:28 PM   #27
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
All states are great, just as all countries are great, because all residents need to feel more special than the guys next door. It’s to do with inferiority complex.
Don't encourage this.
Old 4th February 2020, 09:39 PM   #28
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Texas is as straight as America's armed forces.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"The IPA craze has resulted in lots of bitter beers that taste like a nondescript piece of fruit got gang rapped (sic) by a bunch of hops in a prison shower." - Craig4
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 09:43 PM   #29
Thermal
Philosopher

How else are we supposed to contrast our States with the ****hole countries?

See, we are saying all of OUR States are great. But other Sovereign States? They honk on Bobo, metaphorically.

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 09:50 PM   #30
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Don't encourage this.
Do you think some states are “greater” than others?
Old 4th February 2020, 09:57 PM   #31
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Do you think some states are “greater” than others?
New Jersey is introduced as The Greatest State, but you might miss that while they fire off the pyrotechnics

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 10:36 PM   #32
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Don't encourage this.
Ooohhhh! Words!
Old 4th February 2020, 11:04 PM   #33
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

existential anxiety.
Old 4th February 2020, 11:34 PM   #34
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Great Britain: 93,628 sq. mi.
Arizona: 113,988 sq. mi.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 11:35 PM   #35
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
New Jersey is introduced as The Greatest State, but you might miss that while they fire off the pyrotechnics
The Garden State?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 11:40 PM   #36
xjx388
Philosopher

Just be glad Trump hasn’t started trash-talking States he doesn’t like. The **** Hole State of California, perhaps?
Old 4th February 2020, 11:43 PM   #37
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
The Garden State?
Of Eden, yes

Old 4th February 2020, 11:53 PM   #38
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Just be glad Trump hasn’t started trash-talking States he doesn’t like. The **** Hole State of California, perhaps?
Give him time.
Old 4th February 2020, 11:57 PM   #39
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

The annoyingly woo and self-aggrandizing state of California.
Old 5th February 2020, 12:03 AM   #40
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

AMERICA can't be MADE GREAT AGAIN until each individual state is assigned that description explicitly.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics