ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th February 2020, 11:03 AM   #241
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
amusing.

Of course, a pie in Benito's face would be a lot funnier, but we'd never agree on the recipe.
Something peach, surely?
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 11:46 AM   #242
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I'm sure that would've gone over well...
Better than what is happening now, and we still would have had control of the military to put them down.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 11:47 AM   #243
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
coulda shoulda woulda, the Electoral College is the system in place and thats what it is. How many Dems were complacent and stayed home. Many. They bear responsibility, so let the left own it.
3 MILLION more votes for Hillary.

The voters did their part. The election system is rigged in favor of the GOP.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 11:48 AM   #244
rockysmith76
Muse

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
Better than what is happening now, and we still would have had control of the military to put them down.
A Bolshevik style overthrow isn't better except in whatever fantasy you are having today. For all the outrage your only apparent solution is Stalinsim. Pass....
rockysmith76 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 11:51 AM   #245
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

You called for his execution
Within the context of a convicted criminal.

Quote:
and you have called for the removal of elements of the government you don't like.
When they commit the crime of betraying this nation, you bet I do.

Quote:
You call for censorship of those who say things you dont agree with.
When they advocate fasicsm, discrimination and hate, you bet I do.

I Do NOT Apologize For Standing Up For What Is Right!

Old 6th February 2020, 11:52 AM   #246
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Symbols can have great meaning. Pelosi ripping up Trump's speech invokes an image for me in which a Democratic president can do the same to Trump's entire "legacy". It's a hopeful image.
+1

Old 6th February 2020, 11:56 AM   #247
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
And it makes a little sad that you take it to mean anything is my point. Its clearly just pandering to her base, I guess it worked.

Also, if a Dem can rip up his legacy the next Rep can rip up that dems legacy and so on. This should be a fun couple of decades.
This is why it is important that Democrats drop the faux "decorum" and realize this is a knife-fight to the finish for the future of Progress in the US and ultimately the western world.

Conservative fascism must be identified wherever it is found, isolated, and removed from the political equation.

Old 6th February 2020, 11:59 AM   #248
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Trump might be more popular than ever (never trust a single poll - you should know this by now), but that don't make him popular. He's consistently the least popular president in modern US history.

The "only" hope Democrats - and those who beliveve in democracy - have is for people to not let their cynicism get in the way of making the right choice come november, and to keep fighting if Trump wins by cheating.

ETA: Also, her ripping up the speech has had an effect. People aren't talking about Trump's speech.
"Most popular ever" is a meager 49% even if you accept the numbers.

Old 6th February 2020, 12:02 PM   #249
Belz...
Fiend God

Better than what is happening now
How could you know?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 12:02 PM   #250
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Didn't you just propose a totalitarian one-party state that ruthlessly cracks down on political dissent, as the fix for our current system?
Cracking down on treason is not the same thing.

Old 6th February 2020, 12:03 PM   #251
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Better yet, officiate the SOTU drinking game. Every time Trump tells a blatant lie, she rings a bell to let you know to drink.
Now THAT would be fun.

No one has mentioned it that I've seen, but AOC did not attend. Of course, the Trumpets all clutched their pearls even harder about how it was such an embarrassment and shirking her duty to her constituents. What I suggested is that she should have gone back to her district and watched it on MSNBC in a local community center and play the SOTU drinking game with her constituents.

I mean, she is a former bartender, so she could be mixing them....
Old 6th February 2020, 12:05 PM   #252
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Something peach, surely?
That's pretty good!
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 12:05 PM   #253
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

A Bolshevik style overthrow isn't better except in whatever fantasy you are having today. For all the outrage your only apparent solution is Stalinsim. Pass....
2016 was a coup. Only a conservative kool aid drinker equates a legitimate government defending itself from a coup with bolshevism.

Old 6th February 2020, 12:07 PM   #254
Belz...
Fiend God

2016 was a coup.
Seriously, aren't you getting tired of crazy hyperboles?

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 12:08 PM   #255
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

How could you know?
Because we would have had the full resources of the military and law enforcement on our side. Actually Obama should have acted a lot sooner to put and end to GOP insurrectionists by taking out the bunch of thugs that took over that Wildlife Sanctuary.

Old 6th February 2020, 12:08 PM   #256
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

One should expect some professionalism in a Nationally Broadcasted speech from Both Sides. It's petty and Unprofessional on her part, yes. And yes as a country we know she's not a Trumper, but she can be professional nonetheless.
She tried that before the speech, and look what happened!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 12:10 PM   #257
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Seriously, aren't you getting tired of crazy hyperboles?
The election was rigged. It was not legitimate. Taking over a government by illegitimate means is called a "coup". It may have been a bloodless one, but it was a coup nontheless.

Old 6th February 2020, 12:11 PM   #258
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Quote:
coulda shoulda woulda, the Electoral College is the system in place and thats what it is. How many Dems were complacent and stayed home. Many. They bear responsibility, so let the left own it.
3 MILLION more votes for Hillary.

The voters did their part. The election system is rigged in favor of the GOP.
Not enough of the ones in the states where it mattered.
eeyore1954 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 12:12 PM   #259
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Depends upon who judges what treason is.
eeyore1954 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 12:14 PM   #260
eeyore1954
Philosopher

2016 was a coup. Only a conservative kool aid drinker equates a legitimate government defending itself from a coup with bolshevism.
I advise you calm down. Maybe watch a couple of episodes of Bob Ross painting.
Old 6th February 2020, 12:40 PM   #261
Belz...
Fiend God

Because we would have had the full resources of the military and law enforcement on our side.
Again: how would you know?

The democratic process selected Trump, and Obama would go against this process, for the first time in history, nullifying the elections and throwing the country in a constitutional crisis... and then what? The secret service would probably just throw him out and Trump would still be president.

Get out of your fantasy, we're here now anyway.

Old 6th February 2020, 12:41 PM   #262
Belz...
Fiend God

The election was rigged. It was not legitimate.
You don't know that, either.

We know the Russians had a hand in ads and fake news and all, but have no idea how much of an impact they had on the election. People cast their votes. Are you saying that the GOP mis-counted votes or something?

Old 6th February 2020, 12:56 PM   #263
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

With the help of more than a few Dems who stayed home assuming Hillary had it in the bag. Then, the next morning...
Yeah, the Dems never should have nominated Trump.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 01:08 PM   #264
rockysmith76
Muse

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Yeah, the Dems never should have nominated Trump.
They (some of them) failed to act, not the same thing.
rockysmith76 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 01:09 PM   #265
rockysmith76
Muse

The election was rigged. It was not legitimate. Taking over a government by illegitimate means is called a "coup". It may have been a bloodless one, but it was a coup nontheless.
No, Ruskies tampered but there were more factors that that at play, your spouting a gross over simplification and you know it.
Old 6th February 2020, 01:15 PM   #266
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So you guys heard the new nonsense?

Rep. Matt Gaetz (Republican Representative for Florida's 1st District) has filed an ethics complaint and publically called for an investigation into Pelosi tearing up Trump's speech.

Why? Because it violates 18 USC 2017, preventing the destruction of government records.

If Pelosi had torn up the only copy of Trump's State of the Union Speech they might have a point.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 01:17 PM   #267
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Because we would have had the full resources of the military and law enforcement on our side. Actually Obama should have acted a lot sooner to put and end to GOP insurrectionists by taking out the bunch of thugs that took over that Wildlife Sanctuary.
Not enough eyerolls in the world.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 01:17 PM   #268
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Seems that some conservatives are losing their brains and wanting to "lock her up" over the "Big Rip."

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 01:18 PM   #269
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

Rep. Matt Gaetz (Republican Representative for Florida's 1st District) has filed an ethics complaint and publically called for an investigation into Pelosi tearing up Trump's speech.

Why? Because it violates 18 USC 2017, preventing the destruction of government records.

If Pelosi had torn up the only copy of Trump's State of the Union Speech they might have a point.
Gaetz is obviously suffering from brain damage due to lack of oxygen caused by having his head so far up Trump's arse.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 01:22 PM   #270
rockysmith76
Muse

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Not enough eyerolls in the world.
Saving a wildlife sanctuary by bombing the snot out of it... because..... Republican! Umm, no.
Old 6th February 2020, 01:23 PM   #271
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If Pelosi had "Mission Impossible" repelled herself into the National Archives under the cover of darkness, knocked out the guards, got through the handprint and retina scanners (I'll just assume the National Archives has all of that) and then destroyed the official, archived copy that had been marked for archival in the official government documents... then sure then you can arrest her.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 01:26 PM   #272
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

With any luck such inanities will hurt Republicans.

When they decided to request Hunter Biden's travel records the obvious question came to mind - why didn't they do that a long time ago, if Biden corruption was such a concern? And they need to get to the bottom of this Ukrainian server thing.

But who am I kidding, these skirmishes aren't even a blip on the radar of normal people. They might have the right idea.
Old 6th February 2020, 01:29 PM   #273
Elagabalus
Philosopher

You see! They ARE getting worked up. ***rubs hands together***

Sure, it's a dumpster fire but at least it's a fun dumpster fire.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 01:40 PM   #274
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Fact checking Trump's SOTU speech, one can understand why Pelosi ripped it up. It's mostly fantasy:
Quote:
President Donald Trump's portrayal of American renewal Tuesday night drew on falsehoods about American energy supremacy, health care and the economy as well as distortions about his predecessor's record.

The Associated Press fact-checked remarks from Trump's State of the Union speech. A look at some of the claims examined:
Trump made numerous false and/or misleading claims in all of the following categories:

Immigration
Jobs and economy
Drug prices
Manufacturing
Oil and Gas
Health Care
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ck/4663643002/
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 01:40 PM   #275
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Your definition of treason is expansive to the point of being totalitarian.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 01:41 PM   #276
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
amusing.

Of course, a pie in Benito's face would be a lot funnier, but we'd never agree on the recipe.
Cow. Definitely cow.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 01:46 PM   #277
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Cow. Definitely cow.
A cow pie smoothie w/ Ostrich eggs and quick dry cement!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 01:46 PM   #278
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Saving a wildlife sanctuary by bombing the snot out of it... because..... Republican! Umm, no.
Targeted drone strikes might have spared innocent wildlife.

But Obama was too much of a *****. Hell, he's as bad as they were!
Old 6th February 2020, 01:54 PM   #279
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Fact checking Trump's SOTU speech, one can understand why Pelosi ripped it up. It's mostly fantasy:
This is the one that interested me the most:

Quote:
Manufacturers lost jobs last year in Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin — the older industrial states where Trump had promised a renaissance.
Old 6th February 2020, 02:00 PM   #280
plague311
Great minds think...

If Pelosi had "Mission Impossible" repelled herself into the National Archives under the cover of darkness, knocked out the guards, got through the handprint and retina scanners (I'll just assume the National Archives has all of that) and then destroyed the official, archived copy that had been marked for archival in the official government documents... then sure then you can arrest her.
Could they? This has been something I've been more than curious about. Since the invention of things like email, tv, etc. I just assumed they held on to digital data as well. So even if she ripped up, pooped on and use the damn thing to wipe, the archives still have a digital copy. It's on every television channel for basic TV. What else is needed?!

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics