ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th February 2020, 12:41 PM   #1
plague311
Great minds think...

Virginia, crushing it

This is awesome, and a huge step for Virginia:

Quote:
Virginia is one step closer to ending its tradition of honoring Confederate generals.

This week, the Virginia House voted to strike Lee-Jackson Day from the list of state holidays. The holiday, observed on the Friday before Martin Luther King, Jr. Day in January, honors Robert E. Lee and Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson as "defenders of causes."
Both men owned slaves and fought to preserve slavery in the US.
In its place, the House bill proposed that the state replace it with Election Day, the first Tuesday after the First Monday in November, instead.
I love that election day is now off. Hopefully it really turns out more people, and gives a larger voice to the state. Also, ******* Robert E. Lee AND Stonewall Jackson, they don't deserve a holiday.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2020, 12:56 PM   #2
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
This is awesome, and a huge step for Virginia:

I love that election day is now off. Hopefully it really turns out more people, and gives a larger voice to the state. Also, ******* Robert E. Lee AND Stonewall Jackson, they don't deserve a holiday.
Whaah? “Defenders of causes”? Smooth PR there, Like Hitler being remembered for “his struggles”.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2020, 01:03 PM   #3
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

This is awesome, and [url="https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/07/politics/virginia-ends-confederate-holiday-replace-election-day-trnd/index.html"]a huge step for.
First thing, is this one of those things passed in one chamber with no hope of really becoming law? I'll read the link.

ETA: No, it's a done deal, Senate and governor on board, but (heritage advocates) will get their undies in a bunch.

Last edited by Minoosh; 7th February 2020 at 01:06 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2020, 01:03 PM   #4
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Wait..why don't we want holidays for these people?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2020, 01:09 PM   #5
Armitage72
Illuminator

I wonder if the interview in the article was a Freudian slip.

Quote:
"I think Stonewall Jackson and Robert E. Lee are some of the greatest men to have ever lived," a supporter named Carson Via told the Roanoke Times at last month's Lee-Jackson Day celebration in Lexington while dressed in a Civil War uniform. "Great men, and we're all getting washed away."

"We're" all getting washed away.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2020, 01:21 PM   #6
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
No one is playing this ******** game. Read the ******* article, it blatantly says why and if you can't figure it out then try google. No one wants to chase your philosophical, fantastical nonsense down the wormhole. Start a different thread.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2020, 01:24 PM   #7
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

No one is playing this ******** game. Read the ******* article, it blatantly says why and if you can't figure it out then try google. No one wants to chase your philosophical, fantastical nonsense down the wormhole. Start a different thread.
The article does not say why.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2020, 01:30 PM   #8
plague311
Great minds think...

The article does not say why.
I quoted it in the opening:

Quote:
Both men owned slaves and fought to preserve slavery in the US.
Enough.

Old 7th February 2020, 01:35 PM   #9
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I quoted it in the opening:

Enough.
It doesn't answer why someone would not want a holiday to honor something they find wrong.
Old 7th February 2020, 01:37 PM   #10
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I don't want holidays for anyone. Government and banks get the day off while many others have to work.

Last edited by Minoosh; 7th February 2020 at 01:38 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2020, 01:40 PM   #11
carlitos
"más divertido"

It doesn't answer why someone would not want a holiday to honor something they find wrong.
Yup. When I used to worship at Temple Bat Yahm, we always had Hitler's birthday off. It's just natural.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2020, 01:40 PM   #12
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I don't want holidays for anyone. Government and banks get the day off while many others have to work.
Part of the reason why I liked this move as well. It's closed for voting, which is a net positive. It gives polling places the chance to beef up before the day off, and those that get their voting done early can have a chance to relax for a day.

Old 7th February 2020, 02:20 PM   #13
Planigale
Illuminator

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Yup. When I used to worship at Temple Bat Yahm, we always had Hitler's birthday off. It's just natural.
Absolutely. Without Hitler there would be no Israel, without Israel there would be no Trump, without Trump there would be no Rapture.

(Some may claim there are non sequiturs here, but when it all comes to pass you will see the inevitability of history and the divine plan that all rested on the Prophet Adolf.)
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2020, 04:27 PM   #14
bobdroege7
Master Poster

I see this thread has already been dog-lovered.

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2020, 06:02 PM   #15
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I find the making of Election Day a state holiday to be equally as important as the elimination of Venerate-the-Confederacy Day in this case. I think Election Day should be a national holiday.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2020, 07:36 PM   #16
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I was driving on I-95 near Fredericksburg a couple of months ago and noticed that there was no longer a sign for the "Stonewall Jackson Shrine". It's now simply called the Stonewall Jackson Death Site. I'm not sure the two things are related but I am sure the Virginians still fighting the Civil War are feeling most put upon.
Old 9th February 2020, 06:19 AM   #17
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I would imagine you did, at least six out of every seven years?
Old 10th February 2020, 10:37 AM   #18
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I find the making of Election Day a state holiday to be equally as important as the elimination of Venerate-the-Confederacy Day in this case. I think Election Day should be a national holiday.
That is crazy talk, it would encourage voting for one.

It also would likely not be terribly effective at its goal other than furthering the divide between middle and lower classes as it isn't like the minimum wage jobs would actually get the day off. I think there are much more effective methods of expanding voting than a holiday.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2020, 11:11 AM   #19
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Also being considered is repealing the state law that prevents local government from removing statues venerating confederate war veterans.

https://www.whsv.com/content/news/No...566843621.html

The removal of these statues will be an important symbolic victory.

Reminders of white supremacy and confederate glorification litter the public spaces throughout the south. The message sent there is not subtle.

I think this will be especially well received in Charlottesville. Unite the Right was organized around a protest to defend a statue of General Lee on public land and ended with a terrorist attack.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 10th February 2020 at 11:13 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics