ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , al franken , sex scandals , sexual abuse incidents , sexual harassment charges , sexual harassment issues

Old 18th January 2018, 10:13 PM   #2121
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
But then he seems to have been forced out of his job over it, so maybe we don't know the whole story?

His resignation still makes no sense at all to me. (unless I think "more to the story")
Yeah, Al Gore gave up too easily too. Sometimes people make stupid decisions with a little bit of rush to judgement social pressure.

I don't see why that should imply there is more too it when the evidence is so weak.
Old 18th January 2018, 10:14 PM   #2122
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Mikemcc View Post
It's a shame that he behaved so stupidly. He was eloquent and always made sure that he was clued up before he raised questions.
Which is why he was targeted by the GOP.
Old 19th January 2018, 07:17 AM   #2123
ahhell
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Seems more like the dems targeted him to me.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2018, 05:33 PM   #2124
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Seems more like the dems targeted him to me.
They caved all too quickly, but otherwise, your CT has no legs.
Old 20th January 2018, 05:34 PM   #2125
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

As opposed to yours?

-The State Bar of California Mission Statement
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 08:38 AM   #2126
ahhell
Graduate Poster

Not a CT, he was pressured to resign by Dems, I don't remember there really being that much from the GOP beyond normal partisan advantage taking.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 11:54 AM   #2127
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Not a CT, he was pressured to resign by Dems, I don't remember there really being that much from the GOP beyond normal partisan advantage taking.

This makes sense once you consider that normal partisan advantage taking for the GOP is more like a howling, slavering, torch-bearing mob for any normal human being.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 12:02 PM   #2128
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

So you missed the part where Tweeden was asked to make a complaint she wasn't previously interesting in making by some Republicans pushing her to do so? Did you miss that she is very much a right winger? Do you think she would have spoken up if Franken was a Republican?
Old 21st January 2018, 12:34 PM   #2129
ahhell
Graduate Poster

So you missed the part where Tweeden was asked to make a complaint she wasn't previously interesting in making by some Republicans pushing her to do so? Did you miss that she is very much a right winger?
No, the only thing I can find in my brief internet search that backs this up is a tweet by Tom Arnold. I'm sure there's more out there though.

Do you think she would have spoken up if Franken was a Republican?
No idea, but you can ask that question about any accusation against a politician. It could also be explained by the current wave of similar accusations. Is it true of the other women who have allegations against him?

Last edited by ahhell; 21st January 2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 21st January 2018, 01:00 PM   #2130
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
This makes sense once you consider that normal partisan advantage taking for the GOP is more like a howling, slavering, torch-bearing mob for any normal human being.
Except the GOP did none of that, with regard to Franken. The closest thing he got to a "howling, slavering, torch-bearing mob" were the Democrat Senators calling for his resignation.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 01:02 PM   #2131
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, Al Gore gave up too easily too.
Al Gore gave up too easily? Bush v. Gore went all the way to the Supreme Court. What was Gore supposed to do after that decision? Keep fighting?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 01:45 PM   #2132
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

No, the only thing I can find in my brief internet search that backs this up is a tweet by Tom Arnold. I'm sure there's more out there though....
You didn't look very hard then.

Tweeden has been on Hannity more than once and the story was leaked to Hannity and other right wing media like Breitbart before Tweeden made a public statement.

Her politics is no secret.
Old 21st January 2018, 02:07 PM   #2133
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You didn't look very hard then.

Tweeden has been on Hannity more than once and the story was leaked to Hannity and other right wing media like Breitbart before Tweeden made a public statement.

Her politics is no secret.
If she'd gone to the left for support, she would have been gaslighted, bought off, and covered up.
Old 21st January 2018, 02:31 PM   #2134
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
If she'd gone to the left for support, she would have been gaslighted, bought off, and covered up.
No doubt about it, she has been attacked nonstop by the left.

Proof: this thread

The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 05:11 PM   #2135
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

The 'left' forced him to resign. Any speculation about what they would have done has to take that into account, which means the previous two posts are blathering nonsense.

Once the 'right' starts doing similar then they'd have even moral footing to talk, but right now they're still supporting people they themselves believe assaulted teenage girls, which puts them far, far below the left on this issue.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 08:02 PM   #2136
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

How does that fit in with your narrative that the Dems targeted Franken?
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2018, 08:26 AM   #2137
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
How does that fit in with your narrative that the Dems targeted Franken?
First, I don't buy conspiracy-theoretical narrative that the GOP targeted Franken. I'll reconsider if Skeptic Ginger or one of the other proponents of that theory can describe what things would have been done as part of the "targeting", and provide evidence that those things happened.

My theory about that is that she had a bone to pick with Franken over his treatment of her on the USO tour, that the post-Weinstein climate seemed like the right time to come forward, and that she found allies where she could.

But none of that is what got Franken railroaded out of office. Remember, the original plan was for him to submit to a pro forma ethics committee review, and then get back to work. And then, seemingly out of the blue, Franken's own party colleagues in the Senate turned on him and forced him to step down. That action by Democrats was the only "targeting" of Franken that actually happened.

Last edited by theprestige; 22nd January 2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 22nd January 2018, 07:42 PM   #2138
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

First, I don't buy conspiracy-theoretical narrative that the GOP targeted Franken.
<snip>

Reality, however, disagrees with you.

Roger Stone tweeted that Al Franken would be next just 4 hours before Tweeden made her allegations.

Edited by Loss Leader:  Edited for Rules 0/12
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Loss Leader; 23rd January 2018 at 12:52 PM.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2018, 06:21 AM   #2139
ahhell
Graduate Poster

Depends on what you mean by targeted I suppose.
Some dirt on him fell in to their hands and they took the opportunity, plausible even likely.
They went out looking for dirt on him because the really have thing for Franken, meh.

Why the dems folded on him so quickly, that's a more interesting question.
Old 23rd January 2018, 10:08 AM   #2140
phiwum
Philosopher

Depends on what you mean by targeted I suppose.
Some dirt on him fell in to their hands and they took the opportunity, plausible even likely.
They went out looking for dirt on him because the really have thing for Franken, meh.

Why the dems folded on him so quickly, that's a more interesting question.
The answer is simple. It was because of principles. The Democrats these days care about moral principles, even if they sacrifice an otherwise decent man.

I am sorry to say that the Republicans prefer to circle the wagons rather than exhibit moral convictions these days. It wasn't always like this.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2018, 10:21 AM   #2141
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
The answer is simple. It was because of principles. The Democrats these days care about moral principles, even if they sacrifice an otherwise decent man.
There is not enough irony to go around for this post.

wowsers....

Old 23rd January 2018, 10:35 AM   #2142
ahhell
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post

wowsers....
Strikes more as naive than anything.
Old 23rd January 2018, 10:51 AM   #2143
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Roger Stone tweeted that Al Franken would be next just 4 hours before Tweeden made her allegations.
Which is not the same as the GOP targeting Franken.

Can you describe the GOP's targeting process as you understand it? Can you provide any evidence that that process was carried out?
Old 23rd January 2018, 12:55 PM   #2144
Loss Leader
Do you want to date my Avatar?

wowsers....

Donald

John

Trump

If he were a fifteenth the man Al Franken is, he would have resigned after the number of women accusing him started to exceed the starting roster of a basketball team.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2018, 01:53 PM   #2145
phiwum
Philosopher

Strikes more as naive than anything.
Feel free to explain.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2018, 02:02 PM   #2146
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm still hoping someone will expand on the idea that Gore gave up too easily.
Old 23rd January 2018, 02:10 PM   #2147
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

It seems possible that Franken's resignation could be the product of more than one thing at a time. I'm quite willing to allow the likelihood that the Republican party rejoiced at his downfall, and would have targeted him if they did not already, and also the likelihood that the Democratic leadership approached him in some way with the hope that he would resign, with or without leverage applied, with or without the realization of what a sitting duck he was for Republican backlash. But it's also likely the case that Franken is a loyal party man and that he took that path not from force but persuasion. After all, it's also probably the case that Franken's resignation was the best course of action, and one can credit him a little with the realization that it was so. All those possibilities are not mutually exclusive.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2018, 02:12 PM   #2148
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Donald

John

Trump

If he were a fifteenth the man Al Franken is, he would have resigned after the number of women accusing him started to exceed the starting roster of a basketball team.
Just blown away how many people are blowing smoke up Al's ass despite the fact he was a serial groper.

Old 23rd January 2018, 07:56 PM   #2149
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Just blown away how many people are blowing smoke up Al's ass despite the fact he was a serial groper.
Yeah, and we used to refer to those guys as "mashers" or "wolves". The penalty for those acts is that people will yell at you and make you feel uncomfortable and if you don't change your ways, they will avoid you and you will be left to hookers and titty bars for your female company.

In no instance did anyone talk about jailing or career-destroying unless it suited an agenda. And that's what we have here, an agenda.

And I think you might want to define "blowing smoke up al's ass". He's had to resign. The people that matter, the party and his caucus members, did nothing short of blowing smoke up the ass of a segment of the progressive wing of the party. "I think you need to resign" is not a real good example of smoke-blowing.

It's like when you guys (conservative clones) spoke up about Roy Moore. Sure, he holds admirable political beliefs and would be a stalwart of good government, and bring baby jeebus back into the classroom and courtroom where he belongs, but he had some problems so the party had to move away from him en masse.

Oh, wait.....

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2018, 08:09 PM   #2150
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Which is not the same as the GOP targeting Franken.

Can you describe the GOP's targeting process as you understand it? Can you provide any evidence that that process was carried out?
They aimed the gun and pulled the trigger. Tweeden came out for the sole purpose of taking him down.
Old 23rd January 2018, 08:16 PM   #2151
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
Old 24th January 2018, 06:21 AM   #2152
ahhell
Graduate Poster

They aimed the gun and pulled the trigger. Tweeden came out for the sole purpose of taking him down.
This seems a bit like the Texas sharp shooter fallacy. The democrats being the barn and Franken being the bullet you've drawn the target around. The GOP and Fox are always looking for dirt on dems, they found some on Franken or it came to them. The Dems do the same for republicans.

If the GOP was going to target a particular dem, they'd go for one in a purple or red state, not Minnesota.
Old 24th January 2018, 06:25 AM   #2153
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Nonsense. Al Franken was a thorn in the GOP's side, they hated how he grilled those idiots with difficult questions.
Old 24th January 2018, 07:10 AM   #2154
Pterodactyl
Muse

Nonsense. Al Franken was a thorn in the GOP's side, they hated how he grilled those idiots with difficult questions.
Sure. But any politician who gives the opponent ammunition is going to have it used against him. Franken made a big show of appearing ethical. Ultimately that was his final move too, which I think he should be commended for.

But, he alone is responsible for what he did.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 07:11 AM   #2155
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
Bingo! All these people trying to excuse Franken's despicable conduct.

Super point

Old 24th January 2018, 07:13 AM   #2156
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

The friction from Al Franken's groping can't melt steel beams!

The conspiracy section is that a-way

Old 26th January 2018, 11:09 AM   #2157
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Trump buddy and RNC Finance Chair Steve Wynn now being exposed (pun intended) for a pattern of sexual misconduct. Paid $7.5 in a settlement in one case.

I'm sure now the GOP will insist on a statement from Trump disavowing him and will insist that the RNC return all the money that he has donated and raised for the party, right? Like they did with Harvey Weinstein?

PS Le Reve at the Wynn Casino in Las Vegas is an absolutely amazing show, and probably the best show in the city, if not anywhere.
Old 26th January 2018, 11:45 AM   #2158
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

But apparently he wasn't so valuable that his fellow Democrat Senators wanted to keep him around. Some of them admitted to forcing his resignation without even taking the time to think it over. You'd think a Senator who was actually making real contributions would merit at least a pause for thought before driving him out.
Old 26th January 2018, 11:46 AM   #2159
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Trump buddy and RNC Finance Chair Steve Wynn now being exposed (pun intended) for a pattern of sexual misconduct. Paid $7.5 in a settlement in one case.

I'm sure now the GOP will insist on a statement from Trump disavowing him and will insist that the RNC return all the money that he has donated and raised for the party, right? Like they did with Harvey Weinstein?
The GOP did that with Weinstein? Did they use the official GOP letterhead and everything? Or did it just come from the blue-checkmark GOP Twitter account?
Old 26th January 2018, 12:01 PM   #2160
plague311
Great minds think...

I'd like to point out how entertaining it is to watch this thread continue. How long as Franken been gone? Yet, since it's the only possible option for any sort of moral high ground for the GOP, this horse has to been beaten so hard it's now just a puddle of hooves and teeth.

From an outside looking in, this is how both conversations look:

GOP folk: Dems ruined this guy, they made him resign, but also, he should have resigned. Watch as I come up with some other dumbass nickname for him like was done with Killary, shillary, Hildabeast, because that's what we really do well at! Schumer shutdown *wink wink*

Dems: Maybe the party jumped to conclusions too early. He should have had his day in court, but it's better to err on the side of caution. Why don't the GOP hold anyone, at all, under any circumstances, responsible including the POTUS?

GOP: OMG TU QUOQUE, TU QUOQUE

This thread is a testament to the patheticness of American partisan politics. It's sad to see this thread continue to exist, but it's a hoot reading through it. A train wreck at it's finest.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics