ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th January 2018, 05:35 PM   #1
therival58
Muse

Question Why does 'love' or 'infatuation' make you feel like you can do anything?

So this question was triggered from recently watching the film '500 Days of Summer' with Joseph Gordon Levitt. He is in love or infatuated with a girl 'Summer' he is in a relationship with (Zooey Deschanel) who does not return the same feelings. There are a few sequences in the film that have JGL speaking into the camera about how Summer makes him feel. At one point he says the feeling makes him feel like he can do anything, or anything is possible.

Now, I have been smitten by some girls before in my life, some I never even had relationships with but simply interacted with on a limited basis. it really feels like a high, like life's possibilities are endless and not to sound cliche, but that you can 'take on the world'.

I'm sure that idea has been played out in a lot of other media forms besides this movie, but does anyone know the biological basis for this feeling? Could it be a byproduct of primitive motivation to procreate?

Last edited by therival58; 15th January 2018 at 05:37 PM.
therival58 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2018, 07:17 PM   #2
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Could be. The body naturally produces certain endorphins that could be reasonably triggered by certain emotions such as strong feelings of love/desire.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2018, 08:18 PM   #3
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Ah, like in "All About Us" by He Is We feat. Owl City:

Suddenly
I'm feeling brave
Don't know what's got into me
Why I feel this way

It starts with "t" and rhymes with "pestosterone."
Old 17th January 2018, 03:18 PM   #4
RedPillNeo
Thinker

Endorphins, definitely.

I was once given a small amount of opium (and informed about its presence after the fact.) While not an intoxicating dose, it gave me a strangely detached feeling of lack of concern for danger or hazards, which in the right context could be experienced as invincibility or omnipotence. Tickling the dragon's tail; I never went near those people or that substance again.

Love, though; it's a helluva drug!

Last edited by RedPillNeo; 17th January 2018 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Typos
RedPillNeo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 03:39 PM   #5
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by RedPillNeo View Post
Love, though; it's a helluva drug!
Not when you come down from it.
Old 17th January 2018, 04:06 PM   #6
mgidm86
Illuminator

People who are thinking clearly do not have children, therefore the young (and dumb) are afflicted with higher sex drives. When you're "in love" you think the world is great and anything is possible - kinda like alcohol. Why not have a kid? "Sure honey, anything you say!!!"

Oh I see you already answered this in the OP

Quote:
Could it be a byproduct of primitive motivation to procreate?
Yes.
Old 17th January 2018, 04:13 PM   #7
bytewizard
Graduate Poster

Roxy Music

"Showing out, showing out hit and run
Boy meets girl where the beat goes on
Stitched up tight can't shake free
Love is the drug got a hook on me

Oh, catch that buzz
Love is the drug I'm thinking of
Oh, can't you see
Love is the drug for me
Oh, oh"
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2018, 11:17 PM   #8
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by therival58 View Post
Could it be a byproduct of primitive motivation to procreate?
Absolutely
Old 20th January 2018, 01:15 AM   #9
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
People who are thinking clearly do not have children, therefore the young (and dumb) are afflicted with higher sex drives. When you're "in love" you think the world is great and anything is possible - kinda like alcohol. Why not have a kid? "Sure honey, anything you say!!!"

Oh I see you already answered this in the OP

Yes.
Jeez, I'd really like to see evidence of this. Yes, sex drives are effected by hormones, but have you not noticed that contraceptives are almost universally available? And only non-clearly thinking people have children? I'm not holding my breath, but it would add to this forum if you could support your rambling posts.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2018, 01:18 AM   #10
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Joy, hope and endorphins.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2018, 01:24 AM   #11
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

To the OP, you say you have been "smitten"'with some girls you had limited interaction with. Would you describe this as "love" as you perceive it?

Because to me love is a far more immersive and overwhelming experience. I've been smitten quite a few times, but only twice in love. And I felt wreckless and bulletproof at the same time. A euphoric but dangerous combination.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2018, 06:13 AM   #12
WhatRoughBeast
Graduate Poster

Mild hypoxia.

At least in males, a lot of blood is rushing to at least one other part of the body, leaving less for the brain.
WhatRoughBeast is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2018, 04:53 PM   #13
Wolrab
Illuminator

Being in love even allows you to hold gas for extended periods. Most of the time.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2018, 08:52 PM   #14
Apathia
Illuminator

I acknowledge that there is something wrong with me. Falling in love has never given me that kind of euphoria but instead anxiety.

I get the endorphins with intellectual or mystical epiphanies, or even in situations of significant injury. Sure I've felt some bliss with love, but the anxiety is always in the greater measure.

I'm more neurotic than erotic.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2018, 10:50 PM   #15
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by therival58 View Post
...Could it be a byproduct of primitive motivation to procreate?
Bill Nye explains,
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 10:09 AM   #16
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Bill Nye explains,
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Lions, Tigers, and Bears!"

Author Unknown
Apathia is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 10:39 AM   #17
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

The relevant clip (including when he sees himself as Han Solo):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tJoIaXZ0rw

L. Leader

Last edited by Loss Leader; 21st January 2018 at 10:41 AM.
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 12:50 PM   #18
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
I acknowledge that there is something wrong with me. Falling in love has never given me that kind of euphoria but instead anxiety.

I get the endorphins with intellectual or mystical epiphanies, or even in situations of significant injury. Sure I've felt some bliss with love, but the anxiety is always in the greater measure.

I'm more neurotic than erotic.
Same here.
Old 21st January 2018, 07:45 PM   #19
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Infatuation caused me the highest highs and the lowest lows, often in the same thirty minutes. I'm kind of jealous of the young for being able to feel things so deeply. Mature love is mostly about getting the mocha cheesecake for dessert because my wife likes mocha and she refuses to order dessert herself.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 10:39 PM   #20
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Infatuation caused me the highest highs and the lowest lows, often in the same thirty minutes. I'm kind of jealous of the young for being able to feel things so deeply. Mature love is mostly about getting the mocha cheesecake for dessert because my wife likes mocha and she refuses to order dessert herself.
This is true love!

Author Unknown
Old 21st January 2018, 10:43 PM   #21
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
Same here.
I'm so much happier untangled and romantically disinclined.

Author Unknown
Old 22nd January 2018, 12:37 AM   #22
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

I'm okay with dating but I much prefer dating apps/sites to meeting someone through studies/etc because of this.
Old 22nd January 2018, 12:47 AM   #23
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Nasty trick of Mother Nature, in my opinion:

Your infatuation might lead you to do great things, thus proving your worth to your mate - or it might make you do something really stupid, destructive, proving that you aren't partner-material after all.
Old 22nd January 2018, 02:50 AM   #24
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Oxytocin and seratonin, mostly.
Old 22nd January 2018, 09:57 AM   #25
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
I'm okay with dating but I much prefer dating apps/sites to meeting someone through studies/etc because of this.
Everyone has to cope whatever way they can.

I have some additional issues that make it better for me to neither date nor meet. Also I welcome that age taken me out of the demographic.

I'd rather sit reading my book, and if Last Chance Harvey (or Harriet) asks me what I'm reading, I get up and move somewhere else.

Author Unknown
Old 22nd January 2018, 10:10 AM   #26
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Oxytocin and seratonin, mostly.
Yes, those neurotransmitters.
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2018, 03:45 PM   #27
macdoc
Philosopher

Quote:
Humans are inclined to group and physical connnection.....children do very poorly without physical contact and so do single adults.

Quote:
Married Vs Single: What Science Says Is Better For Your Health
http://www.medicaldaily.com/married-...-health-327878
Apr 2, 2015 - Longevity. Getting married is a good way to live longer — at least that's what research says. Having a family and living with a spouse gives individuals something to live for, compared to their single counterparts

Quote:
Stay single, die younger, say scientists - Telegraph
www.telegraph.co.uk › News › Health › Health News
Jan 12, 2013 - Scientists have found that being married, or being in a permanent stable relationship, could lead to a longer life. Middle-aged people without a spouse or long-term partner were discovered to be at greater risk of premature death than those who were settled down with their other half, they said.
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2018, 05:01 PM   #28
Apathia
Illuminator

Delete

Author Unknown

Last edited by Apathia; 22nd January 2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 22nd January 2018, 05:03 PM   #29
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
Humans are inclined to group and physical connnection.....children do very poorly without physical contact and so do single adults.
Yes! I academically agree with you! But in practice I'd rather shave a few years off and be able live the remainder with some ease of mind.

Author Unknown
Old 30th January 2018, 06:06 PM   #30
wasapi
Illuminator

Yes! I academically agree with you! But in practice I'd rather shave a few years off and be able live the remainder with some ease of mind.
I really understand what you are talking about. I always felt that maybe being able to fall in love was a type of talent some people had, and I didn't have it. The quote I always related to was, "I guess I wasn't meant to mate in captivity.

It worked so well for so many years. If I had a book to curl up with at night, an animal next to me, I was fine.

Then, at age 65 I realized when someone came into my life, and I suddenly understood what those lyrics in songs meant. I never had to question if I was in love. What a rush!
Old 30th January 2018, 07:29 PM   #31
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
I really understand what you are talking about. I always felt that maybe being able to fall in love was a type of talent some people had, and I didn't have it. The quote I always related to was, "I guess I wasn't meant to mate in captivity.

It worked so well for so many years. If I had a book to curl up with at night, an animal next to me, I was fine.

Then, at age 65 I realized when someone came into my life, and I suddenly understood what those lyrics in songs meant. I never had to question if I was in love. What a rush!
I don't mean to be some cynical detractor of yours or anyone's wonderful love. I get the warm fuzzies and tears seeing or reading stories of people finding their soulmates. I merely speak for the "wretched" minority who for whatever reason don't bind that way. Sometimes I do feel that there's something wrong with me. But I don't like it when its translated into some kind of moral failure or inhumanity.

Anyway, I like songs about rainbows.

Author Unknown

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology