ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alex jones , infowars , popular mechanics , Rachel Maddow

Reply
Old 28th April 2013, 08:07 AM   #41
threadworm
Graduate Poster
 
threadworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,538
Originally Posted by yankee451 View Post
It is irrational as well as dishonest to make such proclamations in the face of absolutely no proof. Not one of you can prove anything, nor do you even try.
We don't actually need to. You do.

Maddow is spot on in her analysis of the conspiracy theorist, the comfort blanket their beliefs provide, and the ability these beliefs confer on the holder to absolve themselves from any kind of responsibility for the paths their lives take.

The rise of the web has produced an unfortunate by-product, in that people believe that because their voice can be heard, their opinion is somehow important and worthy of consideration. Cranks and crackpots used to be confined to soap boxes in public parks where they could be happily ignored.

Constant repetition of idiotic theories and badly researched nonsense means that now those cranks and crackpots are making waves in politics, and that is what Maddow is identifying as dangerous. Politicians in the Ebil Gubmint you claim to oppose are latching on to the possibility of getting your vote. You are feeding your own enemy. The more extreme you and your ilk get, the more extreme politicians will get in order to get their snouts further in to the trough and spend more of your money on FEMA camps to enslave you.

Irony alarms a-ringing....
__________________
Facts are simple and facts are straight, facts are lazy and facts are late, facts don't come with points of view, facts don't do what I want them to.

**************************

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2013, 08:27 AM   #42
ergo
Illuminator
 
ergo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,339
Originally Posted by threadworm View Post
the comfort blanket their beliefs provide, and the ability these beliefs confer on the holder to absolve themselves from any kind of responsibility
:mirror:
__________________
“Much of the 9/11 story has not been told to the public" - Steven Badger, attorney for insurance litigators affected by the WTC disaster.
ergo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2013, 09:38 AM   #43
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,977
Originally Posted by PixyMisa View Post
To a first approximation, that would be all of them.
Please explain.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2013, 10:05 AM   #44
MileHighMadness
Muse
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Just Southeast of Hell
Posts: 647
Originally Posted by ergo View Post
There's a comic book of the 9/11 Commission Report??

Did not know that.
That was so school children and truthers could understand what really happen on 9/11.
__________________
“I don’t look forward to heaven, it sounds as boring as hell.” Lord Postsettle
MileHighMadness is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2013, 11:19 AM   #45
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 15,758
The graphic adaptation of the 9-11 Commission Report is online at Slate. To me, it's a tad dumbed-down and melodramatic, but still quite effective.

I am appalled at the respect that Alex Jones is getting from some parts of the right.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2013, 06:08 PM   #46
OCaptain
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,119
Originally Posted by ergo View Post
There's a comic book of the 9/11 Commission Report??

Did not know that.
Wich just goes to show you that there is NO amount of dumbing down that is sufficient for all Americans! LOL
OCaptain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2013, 07:04 PM   #47
squealpiggy
Graduate Poster
 
squealpiggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,468
Originally Posted by threadworm View Post
I haven't listened to what she has said, but I wonder if she's included "all theories contrary to your own can be dismissed purely because of their source, no matter how well evidenced and argued"?
Except that conspiracy theories are not "well evidenced and argued".
squealpiggy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2013, 06:53 AM   #48
WTC Dust
Illuminator
 
WTC Dust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,529
Originally Posted by threadworm View Post
Pretty much covers conspiracy theories there.

I haven't listened to what she has said, but I wonder if she's included "all theories contrary to your own can be dismissed purely because of their source, no matter how well evidenced and argued"?

Doesn't matter if her argument falls into the definition of propaganda or not - she's either right or she isn't.

Conspiracy theorists everywhere always fail to see the irony of that crappy line of argument you've posted there, as pretty much every CT lunatic going uses exactly the same techniques described to try and get you to send them money, gain sycophantic fawning followers, and publicise their theories.
She's right about conspiracy theorists, generally, but not every conspiracy theory is false. Most of them are, but not all. Her negative characterization of conspiracy theorists is mostly true, but not universally applicable.

She's not wrong, but she's not fully correct.
__________________
The World Trade Center did not collapse. It was turned into dust while it was standing there, and then the dust fell to the ground.
WTC Dust is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2013, 06:55 AM   #49
WTC Dust
Illuminator
 
WTC Dust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,529
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
I would grant you that. It was never the Commissions purpose to be the definitive investigation of all things 9/11. This is a very common misconception among Truthers and rational people alike.
Whether or not it was the Commission's purpose to create the definitive work, they did not do so, which means the definitive work has not yet been written.
__________________
The World Trade Center did not collapse. It was turned into dust while it was standing there, and then the dust fell to the ground.
WTC Dust is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2013, 08:44 AM   #50
yankee451
Master Poster
 
yankee451's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,124
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
The graphic adaptation of the 9-11 Commission Report is online at Slate. To me, it's a tad dumbed-down and melodramatic, but still quite effective.

I am appalled at the respect that Alex Jones is getting from some parts of the right.
Not appalled that we have been so dumbed-down a comic book is necessary to explan how muslim terrorists gave the US Military the gift of 9/11, no that isn't appalling, it's the respect Alex Jones gets that is. What a world.
yankee451 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2013, 09:44 AM   #51
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™
 
LashL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 35,533
Mod WarningPlease, folks, stick to the topic of the thread, be civil and polite, and do not personalize the discussion. Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation.
Posted By:LashL
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2013, 09:48 AM   #52
CORed
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central City, Colorado, USA
Posts: 8,250
Originally Posted by MileHighMadness View Post
That was so school children and truthers could understand what really happen on 9/11.
It might work for school children. Truthers are a lost cause.
CORed is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2013, 10:22 AM   #53
NoahFence
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Patriot Nation
Posts: 22,131
Originally Posted by yankee451 View Post
Not appalled that we have been so dumbed-down a comic book is necessary to explan how muslim terrorists gave the US Military the gift of 9/11, no that isn't appalling, it's the respect Alex Jones gets that is. What a world.
What exactly is your issue with it?

I virtually guarantee it has more correct facts in one paragraph than in all the publications you and your ilk cite combined.

GUARANTEE.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2013, 11:06 AM   #54
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing
 
beachnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dog House
Posts: 25,044
Rachel Maddow right on 911 nuts

Rachel Maddow is 100 percent right on 911 conspiracy theorists - all 911 truth claims are insane, based on extreme ignorance. This includes no plane claims, the dumbest claims. Only a few insane nuts believe there were no planes.
Education can cure 911 truth insanity; except the willfully ignorant who avoid knowledge and rational thought.

It is ironic veterans of 911 truth (other nuts in ignorance) refute "no-plane" claims. Nuts calling nuts, nuts. 911 truth, failure that keeps failing, and doing it better each time.

Last edited by beachnut; 29th April 2013 at 11:15 AM.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2013, 02:28 AM   #55
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 15,758
Originally Posted by yankee451 View Post
Not appalled that we have been so dumbed-down a comic book is necessary to explan how muslim terrorists gave the US Military the gift of 9/11, no that isn't appalling, it's the respect Alex Jones gets that is. What a world.
No, the graphic version would have had to be quite a bit dumbed down from the version already published to explan (sic) the appallingly stupid things Alex Jones believes and that his idiotic supporters apparently believe.

I would suggest hitting them over the head with a hammer might get them to believe the Alex Jones version. Repeatedly, and preferably with a dull hammer.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2013, 08:06 PM   #56
RCory
Student
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 45
rather than just criticize the nutcase, she has to tie it in to Drudge, Republicans, Fox news, the far right, you name it. Very predictable of her. Like 9/11 conspiracies haven't found a home on the left.

Originally Posted by yankee451 View Post
it's pretty clear which team she's playing for.
couldn't resist, huh?
RCory is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2013, 11:09 AM   #57
yankee451
Master Poster
 
yankee451's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,124
Originally Posted by RCory View Post
rather than just criticize the nutcase, she has to tie it in to Drudge, Republicans, Fox news, the far right, you name it. Very predictable of her. Like 9/11 conspiracies haven't found a home on the left.



couldn't resist, huh?
;-) at least it didn't go unnoticed.
yankee451 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2013, 10:32 PM   #58
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 15,758
Originally Posted by RCory View Post
rather than just criticize the nutcase, she has to tie it in to Drudge, Republicans, Fox news, the far right, you name it. Very predictable of her.
Well, it is her schtick. If she's going to criticize institutions of the left, she will only criticize them for moving towards the center. That said, I don't disagree with her in this instance. Drudge apparently did tweet that 2013 was going to be the year of Alex Jones, and unless he was saying this in dismay, he deserves to be knocked down a peg for it. Some elements of Fox News (particulary Andrew Napolitano) have been enthusiastic in their support for Jones, and they also deserve mockery.

Quote:
Like 9/11 conspiracies haven't found a home on the left.
True enough. As a Republican, though, I am a bit ashamed to admit that if 9-11 had happened during a Democrat administration, the conspiracy theories would have been much more mainstream that they have been. Part of it is the nature of the GOP, which is much more prone to fears about the federal government (Democrats tend to believe conspiracy theories about corporations).
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2013, 01:46 AM   #59
Meed
boundless constraint
 
Meed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,197
Maddow tries too hard to associate this conspiracy nonsense with "the right".
Meed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2013, 12:52 PM   #60
dannyb
Thinker
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 140
I'm tempted to purchase a copy of the Debunking 9/11 Myths book. Not because I need, or have ever needed, convincing; it just looks like a good read.
dannyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:17 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.