ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alex jones , jason bermas , JFK assassination

Old 12th March 2013, 03:20 PM   #1
SKEPTICALSHAM
Scholar

Did Alex Jones or Jason Bermas Forge CIA Document? Illegal?

I just noticed this. Did Alex Jones and Jason Bermas forge a CIA Document?

Jason Bermas claimed declassified CIA document says Oswald was trained by the CIA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBboKJZ4J4E

He also mentioned the document in his movie Invisible Empire
1:17:54 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO24XmP1c5E

Original link http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles...waldwascia.htm

Wayback Link http://web.archive.org/web/200512010...waldwascia.htm

Democratic Underground readers believed it
http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=104x2364632

I can't find this document (or document image) anywhere except for conspiracy websites. Is it forged?

Is forging a CIA documents illegal? Did anyone in Infowars do it themselves? Or did they get the document from someone else and ran with it.

SKEPTICALSHAM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2013, 04:45 PM   #2
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by SKEPTICALSHAM View Post
I just noticed this. Did Alex Jones and Jason Bermas forge a CIA Document?

Jason Bermas claimed declassified CIA document says Oswald was trained by the CIA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBboKJZ4J4E

He also mentioned the document in his movie Invisible Empire
1:17:54 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO24XmP1c5E

Original link http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles...waldwascia.htm

Wayback Link http://web.archive.org/web/200512010...waldwascia.htm

Democratic Underground readers believed it
http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=104x2364632

I can't find this document (or document image) anywhere except for conspiracy websites. Is it forged?

Is forging a CIA documents illegal? Did anyone in Infowars do it themselves? Or did they get the document from someone else and ran with it.

http://web.archive.org/web/200603021.../160904doc.jpg
I'm no expert, however comparing that document to others online from the CIA in 1964 makes it appear to me that the letterhead looks totally wrong, plus that Memorandum font looks fishy. However the overriding issue I have with it's theoretical authenticity is that it it's classified as "Confidential", which makes no sense whatsoever given it's subject matter and supposed provenance.
Old 12th March 2013, 06:21 PM   #3
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Somethings fishy - aerial recon of China in 1957, but he had a "confidential" clearance? That's the lowest you can go (fourth paragraph).

Also, these reports tended to capitalize subject names - e.g., OSWALD, not Oswald. From what I have seen, the report number (C0-2-34) is claimed to be a Secret Service code, not a CIA code. I didn't think it was worth tracking down any more than that.

More info here (a blog, with other links if anyone is really interested in tracking this down).

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...fk/sEtBKqPOW1U
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2013, 03:21 AM   #4
jimfish
Critical Thinker

I did a little searchy-search, and the earliest I can find the document being discussed is from Gary Buell in 2002, after contacting a guy name Jim Moore, who had told him about a "3 page letter" where "Helms [sic]...acknolwedges Oswald worked for the CIA" a year earlier.

He would then post to GoogleGroups looking for more information on 19/06/2002, but gets no response. Two years later, another post by Buell sheds more light and discussion.

Originally Posted by Gary Buell
I have been unable to find any reference to this memo that does not track back either to Dick Russell or Modern People. James L. Moore has made other claims that --while they could be true--cannot be verified. He claimed possession of a secret 350 page report on RHIC-EDOM. He has also claimed to be the real author of the Skeleton Key to the GemstoneFiles, generally believed to be authored by Stephanie Caruana.

Subsequently, I obtained a scanned copy of the document from Jim Moore. He says he got it from a Tennessee FBI man and does not vouch for its authenticity. I emailed copies of this document to Debra Conway and Dick Russell, both of whom are skeptical, as I am.

By the way, I asked Moore about the Confidential stamp. He says it was not on the original document. He added it, as he said he did to other material in his office at the tabloid, I suppose to say hands-off to his office mates.
Buell would then, after obtaining permission from Moore, post a copy of the scan to the DeepPolitics forum, where it seems to have spread from to InfoWars, Jeff Rense, LetsRoll forum, etc.

It seems Moore was challenged very early on when it was released and scrutinized by others, and when they pointed out its various flaws, he apparently tried to walk it back, offering limp excuses. "Oh, the confidential stamp? No, I added that later. Honest."

That's as far as its internet debut goes, but it seems to have deeper origins, as its referenced quite heavily by Jim McKeith in a lot his books from the late 90s, and several other authors at the same publisher; Adventure Unlimited Press The memo is always referenced in connection to "Lincoln Lawrence", and cites his book Were We Controlled?.

Originally Posted by Mind Control, World Control | Jim McKeith | Page 146
The pseudonymous "Lincoln Lawrence," in Were We Controlled, recalls a "dead rumor" that Lee Harvey Oswald had been admitted to the Third Clinical Hospital's Ear, Nose and Throat division in Minska, Russia.

Whether or not Oswald was implanted, the "deadly rumor" seems to have reached the ears of CIA Director McCone who penned a memo to Secret Service head James Rowley on March 3, 1964. McCone's memo stated that Oswald had possibly been "chemically or electronically 'controlled'...a sleep agent. Subject spent 11 days hospitalized for a 'minor ailment' which should have required no more than three days hospitalization at best."
I'm struggling to find it earlier than that, as GoogleBooks only provides a snippet preview of Lawrence's 1967 book "Were We Controlled?", and none of my search returns any result for the memo. What appears to be a reprint/expnsion of Lawrence book, called Mind Control, Oswald & JFK: Were we Controlled? does, however, contain references to the memo. Guess who publshed it? Adventure Unlimited Press.

It just goes round and round.

So either the "memo" was cooked up in or before 1997, or somebody, like Moore, took the 'known' quotes, dates and references from the book and expanded it to a full document after the fact and began to distribute it.

I'll take another pass at looking for an earlier reference later, as the history of this forgery could go back decades. Moore was a tabloid journalist writing for "Modern People", and in an August 18th 1975 article, he claims to be in possession of a "document" Lawrence writes about in Controlled, given to him by "two former CIA officials whom he would not identify." Lawrence believed Oswald had been implanted with an electrode to receive radiowaves, commanding him to go forth and kill, called the Radio Hypnotic Intra-Cerebral Control-Electronic Dissolution of Memory, or RHIC-EDOM for short. Moore claimed he had a 350 page scientific report written by the CIA after the JFK assassination, "confirming" Lawrence's claims.

Oy. What a tangled web they weave.

---

Edit: Chalk it up to skim-reading, but I missed out on an important part of Buell's GoogleGroups post I linked to, which would have saved me a lot of effort. After contacting Dick Russell, who referenced the supposed memo in his book The Man Who Knew Too Much, Buell was given a copy of Moore's Oswald Was Brainwashed article from '75, and the "memo" makes its appearance for the first time. Buell didn't reprint the article, and I can't seem to find any copies online, but, either way, I'd say Moore's the hoaxer.

Last edited by jimfish; 13th March 2013 at 03:47 AM.
jimfish is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2013, 04:42 AM   #5
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by jimfish View Post
I did a little searchy-search, and the earliest I can find the document being discussed is from Gary Buell in 2002, after contacting a guy name Jim Moore, who had told him about a "3 page letter" where "Helms [sic]...acknolwedges Oswald worked for the CIA" a year earlier.

He would then post to GoogleGroups looking for more information on 19/06/2002, but gets no response. Two years later, another post by Buell sheds more light and discussion.

Buell would then, after obtaining permission from Moore, post a copy of the scan to the DeepPolitics forum, where it seems to have spread from to InfoWars, Jeff Rense, LetsRoll forum, etc.

It seems Moore was challenged very early on when it was released and scrutinized by others, and when they pointed out its various flaws, he apparently tried to walk it back, offering limp excuses. "Oh, the confidential stamp? No, I added that later. Honest."

That's as far as its internet debut goes, but it seems to have deeper origins, as its referenced quite heavily by Jim McKeith in a lot his books from the late 90s, and several other authors at the same publisher; Adventure Unlimited Press The memo is always referenced in connection to "Lincoln Lawrence", and cites his book Were We Controlled?.

I'm struggling to find it earlier than that, as GoogleBooks only provides a snippet preview of Lawrence's 1967 book "Were We Controlled?", and none of my search returns any result for the memo. What appears to be a reprint/expnsion of Lawrence book, called Mind Control, Oswald & JFK: Were we Controlled? does, however, contain references to the memo. Guess who publshed it? Adventure Unlimited Press.

It just goes round and round.

So either the "memo" was cooked up in or before 1997, or somebody, like Moore, took the 'known' quotes, dates and references from the book and expanded it to a full document after the fact and began to distribute it.

I'll take another pass at looking for an earlier reference later, as the history of this forgery could go back decades. Moore was a tabloid journalist writing for "Modern People", and in an August 18th 1975 article, he claims to be in possession of a "document" Lawrence writes about in Controlled, given to him by "two former CIA officials whom he would not identify." Lawrence believed Oswald had been implanted with an electrode to receive radiowaves, commanding him to go forth and kill, called the Radio Hypnotic Intra-Cerebral Control-Electronic Dissolution of Memory, or RHIC-EDOM for short. Moore claimed he had a 350 page scientific report written by the CIA after the JFK assassination, "confirming" Lawrence's claims.

Oy. What a tangled web they weave.

---

Edit: Chalk it up to skim-reading, but I missed out on an important part of Buell's GoogleGroups post I linked to, which would have saved me a lot of effort. After contacting Dick Russell, who referenced the supposed memo in his book The Man Who Knew Too Much, Buell was given a copy of Moore's Oswald Was Brainwashed article from '75, and the "memo" makes its appearance for the first time. Buell didn't reprint the article, and I can't seem to find any copies online, but, either way, I'd say Moore's the hoaxer.
Without the Confidential stamp, then the document is Unclassified, which is even worse.
Old 13th March 2013, 12:13 PM   #6
jimfish
Critical Thinker

I did another searchy-search and came across a very similar (but very real) memorandum which shares some hallmarks with the "McCone-Rowley" memo.

Warren Commission Exhibit 1026; Secret Service memorandum, dated March 19, 1964, re "Secret Service Report on the Assassination of President ..."

Rowley's full title of "Mr. James J. Rowley Chief, U.S. Secret Service" appearing on both, which other memos do not always contain, shortening it to "Chief", or dropping the "Mr."

The near identical subject line:

"Central Intelligence Report on the Assassination of John Kennedy"
"Secret Service Report on the Assassination of President Kennedy"

The similar opening paragraph:

Originally Posted by CE1026
In response to the request made in the first paragraph of a letter to the Secretary from the General Counsel of the President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy, dated February 28th, 1964, there follows a narrative summary of the protective activities of the Secret Service at Parkland Hospital and the return to the White House on November 22, 1963.
Originally Posted by Rowley-McCone
In response to the request made by your office on 24 February 1964 re: Lee Oswald's activities and assignments on behalf of this agency and Federal Bureau of Investigation, there follows a narrative summary of the internal subversive activities of the Oswald subject.
In the real memo, there actually follows a narrative summary, of times, people, places and events. Whilst in the "Rowley-McCone" memo", it launches into an officialese-sounding spiel, which to me suggests the hoaxer didn't understand the term "narrative summary."

It's not a perfect match, like the font-type for the number "4" differing between the two headers, but I can't shake the feeling that it served as a template, at least inspiration-wise, in some fashion.
jimfish is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2013, 05:22 AM   #7
Lenbrazil
Muse

It don't think Jones or Bemas had anything to do with the forgery.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/in...howtopic=20024

"I would bet my house, my car, my bank account & my penis on this." - Robert Morrow, 2013
Lenbrazil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2013, 07:20 AM   #8
SKEPTICALSHAM
Scholar

Originally Posted by Lenbrazil View Post
It don't think Jones or Bemas had anything to do with the forgery.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/in...howtopic=20024
Yeah I think a better name for this thread is: "Alex Jones using fake CIA document" Just because they ran with it, doesn't mean they created it. Your right.
SKEPTICALSHAM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories