ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alex jones , Ghetto Monk , Godlike Production , government conspiracies

Old 25th June 2015, 11:06 AM   #1
Björn Toulouse
Cavitus Rectum

Amazon banned Confederate merchandise on orders from the U.S. Government

The voice on the video is that of Ghetto Monk, chief cook and bottle washer of Godlike Productions. He is talking with a "supervisor" at Amazon who does not really have command of the English language. Alex Jones has plastered this on Infowars, temporarily healing a longstanding wound between the two.

The video is short. Should you listen, you will understand why one of my tags on this thread is "rooters".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OAZ5geZUU4

Belisarius
Björn Toulouse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2015, 11:09 AM   #2
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Björn Toulouse View Post
The voice on the video is that of Ghetto Monk, chief cook and bottle washer of Godlike Productions. He is talking with a "supervisor" at Amazon who does not really have command of the English language. Alex Jones has plastered this on Infowars, temporarily healing a longstanding wound between the two.

The video is short. Should you listen, you will understand why one of my tags on this thread is "rooters".

Clearly another example of those Evil Yankees oppresing the South........

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2015, 11:15 AM   #3
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Great example of a slippery slope argument in the wild.

ETA: "My family fought in the Civil War..."
"Yeah, well my grandfather sold heroin to Indians, so there's that."

They know they lost the Civil War, right? Right?

Last edited by marplots; 25th June 2015 at 11:18 AM.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2015, 11:27 AM   #4
HumanityBlues
Graduate Poster

Great example of free market capitalism. They don't have to sell anything they don't want. Some people will believe anything.
HumanityBlues is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2015, 02:52 PM   #5
carlitos
"más divertido"

Ha! They banned the sale of "the confederate flag of the United States of America." Dude.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2015, 03:09 PM   #6
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Great example of "Why should I believe any of this?"
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2015, 06:02 AM   #7
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla Sama View Post
Great example of "Why should I believe any of this?"
Because it reinforces my prejudices?

Seems to work for so many things; for so many people. :sad:
Old 26th June 2015, 10:54 AM   #8
fezzic
Muse

Originally Posted by HumanityBlues View Post
Great example of free market capitalism. They don't have to sell anything they don't want. Some people will believe anything.
More than that, they don't have to sell anything that they think will potentially lose them customers. Remember it is what they think will lose them customers, so they could be wrong.
fezzic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2015, 11:35 AM   #9
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

It's just going to get harder and harder to buy racist paraphernalia. Thank God there's still gun shows.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2015, 11:49 AM   #10
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Today's spin here is that Amazon banned the Confederate flag but sells the ISIS Flag!

Quick search on Amazon solves the question, and although they didn't have ISIS flags they did have **** ISIS T shirts.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2015, 01:20 PM   #11
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Hey,I would'nt mind a **** ISIS T shirt myself.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2015, 01:34 PM   #12
p0lka
Muse

was it on orders from the U.S. government then, or not?
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2015, 02:01 PM   #13
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
was it on orders from the U.S. government then, or not?
If the US government had ordered Amazon to stop selling anything the company would have screeched to the high heavens.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2015, 02:53 PM   #14
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Looks like "They" got to Apple too,where's Taylor Swift now?!
http://toucharcade.com/2015/06/25/ap...federate-flag/
Old 26th June 2015, 04:31 PM   #15
Hans
Philosopher

If the US government had ordered Amazon to stop selling anything the company would have screeched to the high heavens.
As would their stock holders too.

That has to be one of sillier pieces of CT news in awhile.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2015, 05:08 PM   #16
Björn Toulouse
Cavitus Rectum

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
As would their stock holders too.

That has to be one of sillier pieces of CT news in awhile.

Aside from the claim being silly, it is an example of the sloppy research that CTers do. He phones someone in one of their call centers who probably did not understand him completely, does a little leading of the witness routine, and then accepts that one person's word on it. It gets uploaded and then linked to just about every wingnut website out there and BOOM! - you got a new CT to play with, never mind the credibility of it.

Part of the backstory from GLP is that Ghetto Monk seems to have been blinded by his moment in the cyber-limelight of the internet after AJ linked his Youtube conversation with the Amazon rep, so now he is looking for ANY story that seemingly backs up his government interference claim.

Belisarius
Björn Toulouse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2015, 01:03 PM   #17
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Amazon ,however,is being relly hamfisted in their approach to this. A number of wargames..both computer and boardgames..that have the Confederate Battle Flag on their covers have been removed from sale.If they apply to ham fisted, dumb approach to the problem to books, they will have to remove about half their book selection on the Civil war. They are right in not selling the flag, but ,as usually, they seem to be using a chainsaw where a scaple is needed.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th June 2015, 01:30 PM   #18
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

With any luck, Google's newest image recognition software will allow us to scrub the net of the offensive images. Set search to PC on your PC.
Old 27th June 2015, 01:31 PM   #19
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Amazon ,however,is being relly hamfisted in their approach to this. A number of wargames..both computer and boardgames..that have the Confederate Battle Flag on their covers have been removed from sale.If they apply to ham fisted, dumb approach to the problem to books, they will have to remove about half their book selection on the Civil war. They are right in not selling the flag, but ,as usually, they seem to be using a chainsaw where a scaple is needed.
Modern uses of the flag in a political situation are probably not a good idea. Use of the flag like the Nazi flag should be fully acceptable in a historical context.

As a person whose paternal side fought for the Confederacy I agree that the flag should have no 'official sanction' but also that it should be freely available in a history sense. I have on my bookshelf a small Confederate flag I purchased at Gettysburg in the 1960's but then one of my ancestors commanded a battery there so I felt entitled!

Damn banning wargames? Sheesh however it is a knee jerk reaction and the counter-flow will come into action in time.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2015, 04:00 PM   #20
Gawdzilla Sama

I wonder if someone will think of banning the swastika on the cover of The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich?
Old 27th June 2015, 04:31 PM   #21
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if someone will think of banning the swastika on the cover of The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich?
Probably, they took it off Mein Kampf.
Old 27th June 2015, 04:31 PM   #22
Hans
Philosopher

Well you know when I worked in the ME the Colleges in Saudi had guys whose whole job was to mark out the pictures in textbooks showing women, ham, beer and of course any sign of Israel. Hopefully we won't go that far......

One funny story on censorship somehow an entire set of Encyclopedia Britannias showed up and wasn't censored and one Saudi professor had his Indian assistant xerox the entire set one page at a time, at night as we had only one machine -for at that time getting uncensored reference works was very difficult.

Last edited by Hans; 27th June 2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 27th June 2015, 04:52 PM   #23
Axiom_Blade
Master Poster

Aside from the claim being silly, it is an example of the sloppy research that CTers do. He phones someone in one of their call centers who probably did not understand him completely, does a little leading of the witness routine, and then accepts that one person's word on it. It gets uploaded and then linked to just about every wingnut website out there and BOOM! - you got a new CT to play with, never mind the credibility of it.
Yeah, I thought that was pretty funny.

"So, did the government tell you to do this? Or is Amazon trying to make some sort of political statement? Because if Amazon did this, I'm going to cancel all of my Amazon accounts. So which is it?"

"Uh, the government told us to do it, sir."

"I KNEW IT!!!!"
Axiom_Blade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2015, 04:54 PM   #24
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Probably, they took it off Mein Kampf.
And how are they going to retrofit these?
Old 27th June 2015, 05:16 PM   #25
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

I like that they put a trigger warning on the material.
Old 27th June 2015, 06:33 PM   #26
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
I like that they put a trigger warning on the material.
Patrick and I did that where appropriate.
Old 28th June 2015, 04:34 AM   #27
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Off-topic, I know, but speaking as a modeller I find it rather difficult to build an accurate model of a German airplane from the period 1933-1945 because kit manufacturers don't include the swastika tail marking in case their sale is banned in Germany. As a result, I have an aftermarket decal sheet of swastikas that I felt a little uncomfortable about buying. There's actually nothing implausible about a government acting to prevent the sale or display of offensive imagery; what seems unlikely, to say the least, is that the US government would do so in the absence of any applicable law.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2015, 05:16 AM   #28
uk_dave
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
As a result, I have an aftermarket decal sheet of swastikas
FASCIST!!
uk_dave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2015, 08:08 AM   #29
skeptichaggis
Muse

It probably won't apply in a historical context. I buy a load of military history books,a lot on uniforms,and they have swastikas, Confederate flags etc on the covers. Stuff like osprey boos etc. I also buy model ww2 aircraft and even the big companies (except Germany's revel company)tend to show swastikas on box art.
So there will probably be common sense exceptions. For instance a book on Confederate battle flags with a flag on the front would still be OK. Its a history book.
skeptichaggis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2015, 08:16 AM   #30
skeptichaggis
Muse

Yep,I've just took a quick look. I've got lots of ospry books with Nazi symbols on the cover-sometimes very clearly ie the s.a 1921-45. I can't imagine stuff like that being removed. Even in modern Germany the Nazi swastika is allowed for historic reasons,for instance museum's,period dramas etc. I would imagine the confederate flag would be treated likewise.
OK now i checked Amazon UK,it appears to have no problem with Nazi symbols in historical works. I would imagine the c.s.a flag will be treated likewise.
skeptichaggis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2015, 12:10 PM   #31
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by uk_dave View Post
FASCIST!!
What like a real fascist or the soppy Italian type?
Old 28th June 2015, 05:56 PM   #32
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Just checked Amazon for Richard Rollins "The Damned Red Flags of Rebellion", which is a book on the Confederate Battle Flag, looks like the censors missed that one, it has two on the front cover.

http://www.amazon.com/Damned-Red-Fla...s+of+Rebellion

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2015, 07:37 AM   #33
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Well you know when I worked in the ME the Colleges in Saudi had guys whose whole job was to mark out the pictures in textbooks showing women, ham, beer and of course any sign of Israel. Hopefully we won't go that far......

At some point, the dudes crossing out ham women and beer must've thought to themselves - are we doing the right thing here? Is Islam really better that ham women and beer?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2015, 08:09 AM   #34
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
At some point, the dudes crossing out ham women and beer must've thought to themselves - are we doing the right thing here? Is Islam really better that ham women and beer?
Unless they were deeply devout, in which case they wouldn't be thinking at all.
Old 29th June 2015, 01:03 PM   #35
CaptainHowdy
Muse

The real question here is how is this going to effect Lynyrd Skynyrd?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2015, 04:13 AM   #36
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Amazon probably used an image detection algorithm to ban things and needs manually add back in things that are not objectionable.
Old 1st July 2015, 11:10 AM   #37
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I grew up in Bahrain in the seventies...scantily clad women in magazines and pork products were widely available.
Old 2nd July 2015, 03:02 PM   #38
FrederickEason
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
Just checked Amazon for Richard Rollins "The Damned Red Flags of Rebellion", which is a book on the Confederate Battle Flag, looks like the censors missed that one, it has two on the front cover.

http://www.amazon.com/Damned-Red-Fla...s+of+Rebellion
Was Amazon going after history books, though? I had thought they were only going after Confederate flag memorabilia. Was it like the Apple fiasco, where Apple accidentally banned a bunch of Civil War history apps?

"It's easy to believe that no one should depend on society for help when you yourself happen not to need such help."
- Isaac Asimov
FrederickEason is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories