ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags thermodynamics

Old 3rd June 2019, 09:58 AM   #1
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Entropy violation?

A Glass Battery That Keeps Getting Better?

Real? or fake news?
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 10:05 AM   #2
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
I would think that the recharge cycle of all batteries lowers the entropy of the battery being recharged. As the article alludes to, this battery just isn't in it's optimal configuration when it's first built. The first set of recharges can simply be viewed as part of the "construction process" of the battery.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 10:06 AM   #3
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

No. They aren't talking about a battery that magically never needs recharging and doesn't lose energy as it is used, but about a battery who's capacity increase (very slightly according to the article) as it us used.

So instead of a battery that can power your laptop for 5 hours, you use it for 3 years and it can only power your battery for 3.5 hours you would have a battery that could power you laptop for 5 hours and after 3 years it could power your laptop for 5.25 hours.

You would still need to charge the battery. No violation of entropy.

To be clear I can't speak to the validity of the claim itself, but it does not in principle violate the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 10:35 AM   #4
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
Assuming this is not a deliberate hoax (the source would seem to rule that out), and is not a simple error of measurement (likely)...

Not sure how this would be a violation of entropy. Entropy would be violated if more energy is being removed from the system than is being put into it, and this is not occurring here. What is occurring is that the medium is able to handle more energy being put into the system. They are putting energy into the system. The explanation of the charge/discharge cycle as somehow "optimizing" the materials makes a certain amount of sense.

The article mentioned that the capacity increase occurred over roughly 300 cycles, but doesn't mention whether it continues through the battery's lifespan of 23,000 cycles. If it only occurs for the first few hundred cycles and then levels off, then material optimization seems to be a reasonable explanation. It also doesn't note whether there is a decrease in capacity in the longer term.

At this time, I'm going with "measurement error" as the most likely explanation; and "short-term material optimization with normal long-term degradation" as the second most likely.

Last edited by luchog; 3rd June 2019 at 10:37 AM.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 11:52 AM   #5
GodMark2
Master Poster

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
At this time, I'm going with "measurement error" as the most likely explanation; and "short-term material optimization with normal long-term degradation" as the second most likely.
While "measurement error" is my main bet, my hedge money would be on "Increase in capacity that is traded off by decrease in efficiency" (i.e. You can use your laptop for longer, but have to leave it charging for even longer). At first, you may store 90Ah by burning 100Ah, (90% efficiency) but later you can store 120Ah by burning 150Ah (80% efficiency). Solid-state dielectric domain alignment could have this effect.
Old 3rd June 2019, 04:44 PM   #6
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by GodMark2 View Post
While "measurement error" is my main bet, my hedge money would be on "Increase in capacity that is traded off by decrease in efficiency" (i.e. You can use your laptop for longer, but have to leave it charging for even longer). At first, you may store 90Ah by burning 100Ah, (90% efficiency) but later you can store 120Ah by burning 150Ah (80% efficiency). Solid-state dielectric domain alignment could have this effect.

Yeah, I kind of took the reduced efficiency as read.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 05:20 PM   #7
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Thanks for the answers
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology