ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th June 2019, 07:10 AM   #161
Francesca R
Girl

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
The funny thing is that there was once a nice Leslie Green-designed Underground station building in front of the mainline station, that would no doubt be listed now, had it not been demolished in the 1960s (visible top photo here).
Never knew that was there. However the remaining one of those at Euston (which was I think the entrance to what's now the Charing Cross Northern Line branch) is going to be demolished so it evidently is not so listed. Another one (not Green) which was the entrance to the present-day Bank branch was obliterated yonks ago.

Last edited by Francesca R; 6th June 2019 at 07:12 AM.
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 07:15 AM   #162
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Rubbish, can't believe anyone could mistake where the capital of The Northern Ireland is!
The Glasgow Ikea, surely.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 08:06 AM   #163
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Francesca R View Post
Never knew that was there. However the remaining one of those at Euston (which was I think the entrance to what's now the Charing Cross Northern Line branch) is going to be demolished so it evidently is not so listed.
Only nine of the surviving Green stations are Grade II listed, and the choice seems a little arbitrary for some of them, but I think the Kings Cross one would have been included simply on the basis of being one of the largest.

Quote:
Another one (not Green) which was the entrance to the present-day Bank branch was obliterated yonks ago.
Well, there's still the entrance in the side of the BoE, which makes it the only bit of the Underground with a Grade I listing.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 11:53 AM   #164
Francesca R
Girl

I mean the other Euston surface level building to the City and South London Railway. It was separate
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 02:49 PM   #165
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Your fave places in London are places where you can kind of feel you're not really in London any more? OK.

I heart gasholders. Not what they've done with them at KXC although at least that means the structures will stay there for a long while. Elsewhere they are being pulled down and the sites decontaminated and reused. We have already lost the one at Edmonton (IKEA), Nine Elms (Battersea Power Station), Southall (the one that used to tell planes that Heathrow was 4 miles). Still standing are a couple at Bethnal Green, North Kensington (both on the canal), and IIRC a whole bunch at Bromley-by-Bow Twelvetrees Crescent, and one at Poplar. Will miss them when they are gone they are strangely beautiful. (I go running along the canal to say hi)
I used to think a skyline filled with cranes was ugly, until an artist and a friend who is a keen landscape photographer enthusiastically told me how wonderful they are. So when last I was in KX I did appreciate the beauty of the red cranes towering above us nearby, whilst queuing to get into said restaurant.

So I am open to conversion.
Old 7th June 2019, 03:34 AM   #166
fleabeetle
Muse

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
We once had the blandest takeaway ever in Tunbridge Wells. Only afterwards did we read on Trip Advisor the comments by people saying that, when they'd complained about the food, they were told by the staff that they had had to tone it down after too many complaints by the locals. Gah!
Got to weaken their curries, so as not to disgust their clientele...
fleabeetle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 03:43 AM   #167
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Let's face it, Londonium just isn't the Roman city it once was anymore.
Meh, Trinovantum had already gone downhill by the time the Romans arrived.

Last edited by Lothian; 7th June 2019 at 03:44 AM.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 07:15 AM   #168
Cain
Straussian

I see London only in movies, and marvel at some of dreadful skyscrapers the city approved. Forget brown immigrants, they need Godzilla.
Old 7th June 2019, 04:14 PM   #169
IsThisTheLife
Thinker

Architecturally London is a dismal place, at least compared to dozens of capitals and metropolises all over Europe. All it ever had going for it over the decades and centuries was its culture, which, not withstanding the present attempts being made to re-write history in front of our eyes, had eff-all to do with the fictional "vibrant diversity" now mandated in every single BBC 'historical drama'.
Old 7th June 2019, 06:21 PM   #170
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I see London only in movies, and marvel at some of dreadful skyscrapers the city approved. Forget brown immigrants, they need Godzilla.
I really like The Gherkin!
Old 8th June 2019, 09:39 AM   #171
Francesca R
Girl

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I used to think a skyline filled with cranes was ugly, until an artist and a friend who is a keen landscape photographer enthusiastically told me how wonderful they are. So when last I was in KX I did appreciate the beauty of the red cranes towering above us nearby, whilst queuing to get into said restaurant.

So I am open to conversion.
If you think Kings Cross still looks run down I am curious what could actually change it (or anywhere) for you. IIRC it has been one of the highest value urban regeneration gigs anywhere in the country. I would never have imagined that the Great Northern Hotel (which was boarded up for years) would be a hotel again. The one that's now the St Pancras Hotel previously closed down almost a century ago and was semi-derelict railway offices. Of course this kind of thing costs a fortune and may not ever be the best use of public money (not that it was all public money), and it isn't kind to everyone--the folks who used to live in the former council flats (which were built as Victorian philanthropic workers digs) in Battle Bridge Road and Stanley Passage (deceased streets between the two stations) certainly can't afford to live there now they've been demolished* and no council in London is providing "enough" public housing.

I suppose you also think Stratford is still a dump too?

*Actually "half" of one of those blocks ("Stanley Buildings") has been preserved and a modern office type property grafted onto it as the other half, you can still see it and its address has become Pancras Square. If you want to see what it used to look like it's the dwelling of Shirley and Cyril in the film "High Hopes" (Mike Leigh 1988), that film also has a stupendous extended view from its roof right at the end of it, many long gone vistas. I also recall there are still some of those design of flats around, one a short way down Kings Cross Road and I think others in Columbia Road Bethnal Green and Commercial Road just out from Aldgate.
Old 8th June 2019, 10:39 AM   #172
Lothian
should be banned

If you think Kings Cross still looks run down I am curious what could actually change it (or anywhere) for you. IIRC it has been one of the highest value urban regeneration gigs anywhere in the country. I would never have imagined that the Great Northern Hotel (which was boarded up for years) would be a hotel again. The one that's now the St Pancras Hotel previously closed down almost a century ago and was semi-derelict railway offices. Of course this kind of thing costs a fortune and may not ever be the best use of public money (not that it was all public money), and it isn't kind to everyone--the folks who used to live in the former council flats (which were built as Victorian philanthropic workers digs) in Battle Bridge Road and Stanley Passage (deceased streets between the two stations) certainly can't afford to live there now they've been demolished* and no council in London is providing "enough" public housing.

*Actually "half" of one of those blocks ("Stanley Buildings") has been preserved and a modern office type property grafted onto it as the other half, you can still see it and its address has become Pancras Square. If you want to see what it used to look like it's the dwelling of Shirley and Cyril in the film "High Hopes" (Mike Leigh 1988), that film also has a stupendous extended view from its roof right at the end of it, many long gone vistas. I also recall there are still some of those design of flats around, one a short way down Kings Cross Road and I think others in Columbia Road Bethnal Green and Commercial Road just out from Aldgate.
Kings Cross is not run down. Run down areas don't have market stalls charging £2.50 for a pain au chocolat. I remember when the only goods on Goods Way were available for short term hire. Kings Cross has been totally transformed.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2019, 10:53 AM   #173
Francesca R
Girl

Strangely perhaps you can now book a room at the Great Northern Hotel for a few hours .

(Actually day use is a thing now with a lot of hotels particularly near transport hubs, it was inefficient for a long time that the unit price was overnight, and not just from the perspective of the shagging trade)

Last edited by Francesca R; 8th June 2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 8th June 2019, 11:20 AM   #174
Ethan Thane Athen
Graduate Poster

I like Cleese’s stuff with Monty Python and the Fawlty Towers stuff but having seen him on a number of chat shows over the years I have concluded he’s an arrogant, humourless cockwomble in real life.
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2019, 11:57 AM   #175
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fleabeetle View Post
Got to weaken their curries, so as not to disgust their clientele...
Yeah, some Trip Advisor comments said words to the effect of, "the staff said if they were in London they'd be more authentic, but not in Tunbridge Wells."
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2019, 11:58 AM   #176
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
Architecturally London is a dismal place, at least compared to dozens of capitals and metropolises all over Europe. All it ever had going for it over the decades and centuries was its culture, which, not withstanding the present attempts being made to re-write history in front of our eyes, had eff-all to do with the fictional "vibrant diversity" now mandated in every single BBC 'historical drama'.
Calm down, dear.
Old 8th June 2019, 12:32 PM   #177
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

King's Cross now boasts some magnificent buildings, sure, the Google building, the Guardian ex-King's Place, the Finnish Institute, Crick, British Library where I have done various amounts of research (business and history mainly [but not both at the same time]) but I could never live there (not that I would ever pay £2m for one of the apartments anyway) as it remains fundamentally depressing. Not enough trees and greenery.

I don't think Stratford is a 'dump'. Parts of it are really nice - the bourgeois areas - but much of it is unappealing, mainly because of the huge motorway that runs through it and the massive railway junction. I just see it as one big shopping mall and interchange place.

What is nice, is Bloomsbury. That area is magical. I can quite understand why artists and academics have long resided in that region. Different air, lovely quality of light.

Last edited by Vixen; 8th June 2019 at 12:33 PM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2019, 01:22 PM   #178
Francesca R
Girl

Bloomsbury's nice at 5:30am, that's when I've often made a round trip run from where I live ('twixt KingsX and Angel) thru there and Marylebone, and back (uphill, ugh)

Rest of the day it's rather chocka with UCL students and British Museum tourists.

"The Bodyguard" final episode had Richard Madden strapped into an IED in a stand off with the police in Woburn Square.

Last edited by Francesca R; 8th June 2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 9th June 2019, 11:40 AM   #179
Francesca R
Girl

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I don't think Stratford is a 'dump'. Parts of it are really nice - the bourgeois areas - but much of it is unappealing, mainly because of the huge motorway that runs through it and the massive railway junction. I just see it as one big shopping mall and interchange place.
PS being at least something of a train nerd myself, Stratford station is kind of neat because you have a lot of different lines all sharing essentially cross-platform interchange which is almost unheard of anywhere else. Meaning the Central line, DLR (branch from Poplar), Overground, and the West/East Anglia lines are all next to each other and parallel. Crossrail will go through the same set of platforms as well if it is ever finished. HS1 a bit further away is icing on the train cake.

I am not a big fan of Westfield's shopping malls but can see the attraction to others. The High Street / Broadway which is what I assume you mean by "motorway" was actually downgraded when the not too far north A12 was upgraded, it's not even signposted as a through route out of town now I don't think, and in my view it has less traffic than it did before, I am a bit cheeky and sometimes run in the cycle lane (opposite direction to traffic) because its so empty and does not have the up and down of kerbs.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events