ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 5G-technology , cancer , fertility , radiation

Old 2nd June 2019, 11:14 PM   #41
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
While I acknowledge I may be reading too much into it, the highlighted seems like code for "no Jews."

As for the topic at hand, my first question to cell phone radiation panickers is always this: Why haven't you been protesting radio and TV? Our cells have been saturated with Jerry Mathers and Lucille Ball for a very long time.
Hmmm... Given the current world perhaps there is something in this after all.....

Last edited by Darat; 2nd June 2019 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Tags
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 11:20 PM   #42
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Flipping channels this after noon I caught a blurb like "only applies to products sold to the Gov.". Hence the 'security' concerns.

But where do you draw the line? Any cell tower transmission equipment just might carry pentagon comms...
Pretty much all the infrastructure can be remotely patched so even" clean" technology may not remain clean, and given that the alternative technology supplier seems to be Cisco I have little confidence in 1G being secure! (Actually analog may be secure these days!)
Old 9th June 2019, 05:45 PM   #43
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Well actually... TV may indeed fry you brains - but not with microwaves.

TV Is Bad for Your Brain

But what does this have to do with 5G?

How 5G will change home internet and TV
A TV in every room means - more brain rot! And to maximize the damage:-

Huawei is developing a 5G 8K TV because that's apparently a thing now
Brain fried.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 07:52 PM   #44
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

That reminds me (off topic warning!) of a few years ago when I came out of a supermarket, walked up to our car, pulled out my key and pushed the button, and was rewarded with an answering beep. Except it was the wrong key and our car was still locked.
I've since regretted not pushing the lock button to lock it back up. Whoever's it was.
Old 10th June 2019, 04:24 AM   #45
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
That reminds me (off topic warning!) of a few years ago when I came out of a supermarket, walked up to our car, pulled out my key and pushed the button, and was rewarded with an answering beep. Except it was the wrong key and our car was still locked.
I've since regretted not pushing the lock button to lock it back up. Whoever's it was.
Nothing new in that. Back in the "analogue" key world of the 1970's and 1980's the same physical key could open several different cars. One friend's Morris 1800's key also opened another friend's MG1300.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 06:32 AM   #46
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I used to have a couple of keys that would run other things. Back when I was a kid, I had for backyard disassembly and old 1941 Chevy, and its key would start nearly any Chevy whose indulgent owner would let me try it. Years later I found my Honda's key would fit my cousin's Honda.

Unfortunately, the remotes for my various ratty old Jeeps have never opened any others, so no new Jeeps for a while.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 07:18 AM   #47
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Nothing new in that. Back in the "analogue" key world of the 1970's and 1980's the same physical key could open several different cars. One friend's Morris 1800's key also opened another friend's MG1300.
We have two Toyotas, different models and years. The keys look the same and I have keys for both cars on the same key ring. A few weeks ago I drove my car home from work and discovered that I had started it with the valet key for my wife's car.
Old 10th June 2019, 11:32 AM   #48
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
We have two Toyotas, different models and years. The keys look the same and I have keys for both cars on the same key ring. A few weeks ago I drove my car home from work and discovered that I had started it with the valet key for my wife's car.
I was aware that car manufacturers often employ only a limited number of "keyings" when creating mechanical keys and locks, so that a given Toyota mechanical key can open and start a significant number of Toyotas. This saves money, makes record keeping easier, and probably reflects the limits on the number of different keyings that can be physically imposed on a key/lock system (compared to the millions and millions of Toyotas sold).

But I had assumed that the electronic lock codes were much more diverse from car to car. but maybe not (re Trebuchet's post).

Last edited by Giordano; 10th June 2019 at 11:33 AM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 11:41 AM   #49
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I was aware that car manufacturers often employ only a limited number of "keyings" when creating mechanical keys and locks, so that a given Toyota mechanical key can open and start a significant number of Toyotas. This saves money, makes record keeping easier, and probably reflects the limits on the number of different keyings that can be physically imposed on a key/lock system (compared to the millions and millions of Toyotas sold).

But I had assumed that the electronic lock codes were much more diverse from car to car. but maybe not (re Trebuchet's post).
My experience suggests that they are at least a little more diverse. Remember too that owing to tolerances and wear, some keys, at least the older type, will substitute for near neighbors, especially if you jiggle a little.

So far on a number of cars I've never had a remote that operated another.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 11:47 AM   #50
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Apparently the Russians are pushing this conspiracy theory. Don't know why.

https://bgr.com/2019/05/13/5g-vs-hea...-nyt-explains/
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Seems pretty obvious why.
I'm not sure its so obvious, it seems to be just because they like to stir up ****.

Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Unlikely, Elagabalus. Huawei might be prevented from selling 5G telecom technology for vague "national security" reasons in a Trump executive order. Maybe the idea that data sent by 5G would be siphoned off to China. TVs are not telecom equipment so the order cannot be applied.
How are TVs not telecom equipment?

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post

My understanding is that Japanese manufacturer's were especially notorious for there relatively small number of keyings.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 11:52 AM   #51
Elagabalus
Illuminator

But how did Trebuchet manage to acquire somebody else's car key?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 02:45 PM   #52
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
How are TVs not telecom equipment?
What does Telecommunications Equipment mean?
TVs are receivers of the telecommunications supplied by telecommunications equipment.

Last edited by Reality Check; 10th June 2019 at 02:46 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology