ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia history , Australia incidents , Australia issues , William Slim

Old 11th June 2019, 08:55 PM   #81
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
The ABC, unlike any journalistic organisation in America, was formed via an act of parliament. They are not a commercial for-profit company. They are a publicly-funded broadcaster. They do occasionally slip from the legally mandated high standard, but they've been accused of bias by both sides of government, so they've got to be pretty balanced.
Yeah, I’m from the UK. The ABC is modeled on the BBC, so I am quite familiar. And guess what, organizations can make mistakes. Even when their charter says “we pinky swear to try real hard not to make mistakes”

Like I said, I get that this is hard for Americans to understand.
Yeah, we know you are bigoted against Americans.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 09:07 PM   #82
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Yeah, I’m from the UK. The ABC is modeled on the BBC, so I am quite familiar. And guess what, organizations can make mistakes. Even when their charter says “we pinky swear to try real hard not to make mistakes”
This is true. Did you watch/read the report?

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Yeah, we know you are bigoted against Americans.
I swear, I'm not. I actually quite like every American I've met. I like jazz and root beer and Dungeons and Dragons, and they're all American inventions. But America doesn't have a publicly funded national broadcaster like we do, so it really is difficult for them to understand how it is possible for a news organisation to be unbiased. It's outside their experience.
Old 12th June 2019, 03:52 AM   #83
Information Analyst
Philosopher

If you want to treat all news as hearsay, sure. You do that.
News generally covers events for which there is clear evidence they happened. Accusations of things that happened decades ago without any corroboratory evidence are simply accusations.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 06:12 AM   #84
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
News generally covers events for which there is clear evidence they happened. Accusations of things that happened decades ago without any corroboratory evidence are simply accusations.

Aside from eye witness or photographic evidence, most convictions for this sort of crime tend to rely on accusations.

Corroboratory evidence is frequently no more than similar accusations from multiple, different sources.

At some stage accusations are not simple anymore.

Last edited by quadraginta; 12th June 2019 at 06:15 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 09:54 AM   #85
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Who gives a ****** Change the name already. Thread closed.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 09:57 AM   #86
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

In addition, and I acknowledge that this particular fact is extremely difficult for an American to grasp, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation is one of the most reliable and impartial news organisations in the world. To an American, the phrase "impartial news" is an oxymoron - a logical absurdity. But the ABC has a legislative requirement to be "accurate and impartial according to the recognized standards of objective journalism" (Australian Broadcasting Corporation Act 1983, Section 8.1.c). This is absolutely unheard-of in American journalism, so it's not surprising that an American can't understand the respect Australians have for our ABC.

Be fair, we do have an equivalent which is well-known for being impartial and balanced, if not exactly hard-hitting -- National Public Radio aka NPR. While they don't have quite the same presence and impact as the BBC or ABC, they are partially publicly-funded and do have a similar reach and mandate.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 10:56 AM   #87
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

In addition, and I acknowledge that this particular fact is extremely difficult for an American to grasp, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation is one of the most reliable and impartial news organisations in the world. To an American, the phrase "impartial news" is an oxymoron - a logical absurdity. But the ABC has a legislative requirement to be "accurate and impartial according to the recognized standards of objective journalism" (Australian Broadcasting Corporation Act 1983, Section 8.1.c). This is absolutely unheard-of in American journalism, so it's not surprising that an American can't understand the respect Australians have for our ABC.
Well, there's the national chauvinism, at least.

And ABC has a legislative requirement? So what? Government agencies and private industry violate the laws that supposedly regulate them all the time.

Hell, here's a list of Australians who have a legislative requirement to not do various things. Spoiler alert: They did those things anyway.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 05:25 PM   #88
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Well, there's the national chauvinism, at least.

And ABC has a legislative requirement? So what? Government agencies and private industry violate the laws that supposedly regulate them all the time.

Hell, here's a list of Australians who have a legislative requirement to not do various things. Spoiler alert: They did those things anyway.
If you would like to level a specific accusation against the ABC, you are welcome to do that. But again, we're not here to talk about the ABC, we're here to talk about whether it is appropriate to change the name of a road.

I've examined the available evidence and I find it credible. I actually live in this city and drive this road on a regular basis. I'm in favour of changing the name.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events