ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th June 2019, 04:03 AM   #41
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
The data throughput from your senses to your brain is far less that you would expect. It is estimated that the bandwidth of your optic nerve is only about 6 to 10 megabits/sek.
As I understand it though, the brain is working really hard to fill in the blanks.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 04:14 AM   #42
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The use of a computer-brain two-way interface wouldn't be to make the brain faster or to absorb more information - it would be to outsource tasks that the brain is slow or inaccurate at.
Old 12th June 2019, 04:27 AM   #43
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
As I understand it though, the brain is working really hard to fill in the blanks.

Yes and it does it so effortlessly.
Old 13th June 2019, 01:22 AM   #44
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The use of a computer-brain two-way interface wouldn't be to make the brain faster or to absorb more information - it would be to outsource tasks that the brain is slow or inaccurate at.
I'm not seeing the dichotomy here: outsourcing tasks that the brain is slow at does make the brain faster.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 01:25 AM   #45
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
I'm not seeing the dichotomy here: outsourcing tasks that the brain is slow at does make the brain faster.
What I meant is that there would be no "downloading" of data into brain memory - but the brain might get access to a database it can query.
Old 13th June 2019, 01:40 AM   #46
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
What I meant is that there would be no "downloading" of data into brain memory - but the brain might get access to a database it can query.
Yeah, that seems like the best way to use that sort of technology if we had it. It depends on the speed of the connection, though. The current state still leaves "downloading" knowledge into the brain as a good option for a lot of things, which is why we memorise things, but not for others (because for a lot of things it's easy enough to google them that it doesn't make sense to bother memorising them). That balance will be different with different technologies but it won't necessarily go all the way in one direction.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology