ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th June 2019, 10:33 PM   #3041
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Here's something many of the commentators in this and related threads don't appear to be getting in their fetishizing of certain, specific social principles and creating a hierarchy of rights:

Advocating for the murder, enslavement, oppression, marginalization, and/or disenfranchisement of groups of people based on their ethnic origin, sexual preference, gender identity, or socioeconomic class is incompatible with a free society that supports individual liberty.
This is why many of us have said that the US has been more or less a democracy (there are *very* important questions concerning the rights of felons) since the mid-late 1960s, and pretty much an outright fascist state for most of it's history.

Quote:
There can be no true freedom, no true justice, in the sort of society proposed by such people, only levels of privilege and oppression.

To support their words, and advocate for their right to spread their propaganda, one is indirectly supporting the destruction of free society.
And in fact, most of them are quite open about their hatred of freedoms like speech and association (see anti-BLM or anti LGBT pride folks, neo-nazis, and the like), or the right to vote (the current GOP in the US). As you've noted, these things can quickly devolve into widespread, severe violence as well.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 02:06 AM   #3042
Belz...
Fiend God

Here's something many of the commentators in this and related threads don't appear to be getting in their fetishizing of certain, specific social principles and creating a hierarchy of rights:

Advocating for the murder, enslavement, oppression, marginalization, and/or disenfranchisement of groups of people based on their ethnic origin, sexual preference, gender identity, or socioeconomic class is incompatible with a free society that supports individual liberty.

There can be no true freedom, no true justice, in the sort of society proposed by such people, only levels of privilege and oppression.
The obvious solution to that is to throw eggs at them to not let this sort of ideology take power.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 02:40 AM   #3043
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
The obvious solution to that is to throw eggs at them to not let this sort of ideology take power.
An over-arm ovum or zinged zygote, and milkshake throwing, to me, seems like someone's solution to exactly that problem, drawing attention to the current uptick in this ideology by marking the offenders.

You can argue, as you have, that it's not the best way, but it's still one way.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 03:34 AM   #3044
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
So nazi = white nationalist = Trump voter = 90% of Republicans is not a slope?
Not much of one. I mean they already like concentration camps for kids with no education and the like.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 04:04 AM   #3045
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
An over-arm ovum or zinged zygote, and milkshake throwing, to me, seems like someone's solution to exactly that problem, drawing attention to the current uptick in this ideology by marking the offenders.

I'm not arguing that it's not the best way. I'm arguing that it's counter-productive and illegal.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 06:32 AM   #3046
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Not much of one. I mean they already like concentration camps for kids with no education and the like.

Nothing new there, the US has always been fond of concentration camps. Only in the past we've called them "reservations" and "internment camps".
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 10:34 AM   #3047
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I'm not arguing that it's not the best way.
Why not? Even I'll argue that it's not even close to the best way. I just think it's funny.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 10:36 AM   #3048
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Why not?
What do you mean why not? I'm stating the simple fact that it isn't my argument.

Old 13th June 2019, 11:36 AM   #3049
Bouncing Bettys
Thinker

Could you expand on that a little further? I'm not sure what this is in reference to.
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 11:39 AM   #3050
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Could you expand on that a little further? I'm not sure what this is in reference to.
Trump and those who support him of course. See

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immig...=.94182aaac68c
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 12:06 PM   #3051
carlitos
"más divertido"

Your post was unclear. You said "concentration camps for children with no education and the like." Which sounds like like kids with no education are being rounded up and put in camps.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 12:09 PM   #3052
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Your post was unclear. You said "concentration camps for children with no education and the like." Which sounds like like kids with no education are being rounded up and put in camps.
That wouldn't be good news to conservatives.

Old 13th June 2019, 12:28 PM   #3053
Bouncing Bettys
Thinker

That wouldn't be good news to conservatives.
lol
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 01:29 PM   #3054
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Got it the not at all nazi white supremacists who are good folks and who supporting is not a character flaw. It is a shame to paint all white supremacists with the same brush.
Nazis and zionists don’t like being painted with the same white supremacist brush but if the jackboot fits....there’s no shame in calling it as it is.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 02:21 AM   #3055
Belz...
Fiend God

What I love about that post is this:

Quote:
So any racist or bigoted ideology is equivalent with nazis.
Got it the not at all nazi white supremacists who are good folks and who supporting is not a character flaw. It is a shame to paint all white supremacists with the same brush.
Turtle's so lost in his strawmen that he's even interpreting something as its exact opposite.

Old 14th June 2019, 03:51 AM   #3056
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

time well spent
Old 14th June 2019, 07:00 AM   #3057
dann
Philosopher

Nonsense, just like they eggs you are provoking them into violence by challenging them. See the killing of Alan Berg for an example of this.

"A former producer of Berg's believed that he was on a "death list" both because he was Jewish and had challenged, on the air, the beliefs of members of the Christian Identity movement, who believed Jews were descended from Satan.[7] At the trial for his murder, prosecutors contended that he was singled out for assassination because he was a Jew and because his personality incurred the anger of white supremacists.[8][7][9][10] At the conspiracy trial of members of The Order, the white supremacist organization responsible for organizing the assassination, a founding member of the group, Denver Daw Parmenter, was asked why Berg was targeted. Parmenter responded that Berg "was mainly thought to be anti-white and he was Jewish".[11] Berg's remains were buried at the Waldheim Jewish Cemetery in Forest Park, Illinois.[12]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Berg

Yes, if you run around being Jewish, you can't expect nazis not to be provoked by it!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 07:07 AM   #3058
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post

There's a new alternative to egging and milkshaking:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 10:11 AM   #3059
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

To support their words, and advocate for their right to spread their propaganda, one is indirectly supporting the destruction of free society.

For those who support a free society that protects individual liberty, there can be disagreement on how best to achieve and maintain such a society; but compromising with those who would tear down and eliminate freedom and individual liberty for any of its members will do nothing to establish or preserve such a society, only destroy it.
What actions are you taking to make it illegal to espouse nazi ideology? Are you actively trying to make this happen? Have you written your representatives? Have you circulated petitions? Have you organized with like-minded people to try and gain critical mass? This concept has barely been touched on in this thread. I've posed this question (not to you in particular) several times. Crickets.

Or is fetishizing vigilantism the first option? (Feeble vigilantism at that.)

I'm of the opinion that egging (and other forms of assault / vigilantism) is counterproductive. I don't think it deters nazis or adjacents. I don't think it accomplishes anything positive. If I were to employ the pathetic debate tactics used by you, Checkmite, and others, I could saddle up a righteous high horse and accuse eggers of empowering nazis and adjacents, by virtue of engaging in a counterproductive activity. That sounds like loads of fun.
Old 14th June 2019, 10:26 AM   #3060
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
What actions are you taking to make it illegal to espouse nazi ideology? Are you actively trying to make this happen? Have you written your representatives? Have you circulated petitions? Have you organized with like-minded people to try and gain critical mass? This concept has barely been touched on in this thread. I've posed this question (not to you in particular) several times. Crickets.

Or is fetishizing vigilantism the first option? (Feeble vigilantism at that.)
Keyboard warring?

Old 14th June 2019, 10:42 AM   #3061
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Given the Nazis' historical propensity towards political violence, I think that political violence against Nazis is more likely than not going to encourage them to respond more forcefully in kind. I think the Berkeley-Charlottesville dynamic illustrates this.

Keep egging "nazis", and sooner or later you're going to have a band of skinheads peacefully sieg-heiling down the street, daring any antifa goon to start some violence. Sooner or later, a literal Nazi is going to win a self-defense case against an antifa goon, because while he threw the first punch, the antifa goon threw the first egg.

Then we get to see how it escalates from there.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 12:55 PM   #3062
dann
Philosopher

Otherwise they would never have considered becoming violent. Their "historical propensity towards political violence" need to be triggered by eggs, otherwise you'd never see "a band of skinheads peacefully sieg-heiling down the street, daring any antifa goon to start some violence."
So the antifas are the ones who trigger their 'historical propensity'. Otherwise, they'd be pussycats.
Old 14th June 2019, 01:28 PM   #3063
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Keep egging "nazis", and sooner or later you're going to have a band of skinheads peacefully sieg-heiling down the street, daring any antifa goon to start some violence.
This happened during the Pride festivities in Detroit. The skinheads peacefully sieg-heiling down the street (while carrying firearms) and daring any antifa goon to start some violence were provoked not by the throwing of any egg, but by the mere existence of Pride festivities and LGBT individuals not being ashamed to self-identify publicly. Quoth the white-nationalist organizer of the incident,

Quote:
NSM will be armed and counter-protesting the freaks. NSM, lets put some boots on the ground!! I don’t really give a damn about op-sec or Antifa in this situation. We go in with Swastikas blazing and if people don’t like it, tough ****...
Nazis don't need eggs to be "provoked". Eggings and milkshakings don't add even so much as a single ounce of fuel to the raging fire.

Honestly in a world where Pittsburgh, Christchurch, and Poway have already happened, arguing that white-nationalists "sooner or later might become violent" if people taunt them too much is like telling a bunch of people splashing around in a swimming pool that if they don't get out of it they might end up wet.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 03:48 PM   #3064
Bouncing Bettys
Thinker

Nazis don't need eggs to be "provoked". Eggings and milkshakings don't add even so much as a single ounce of fuel to the raging fire.
Eggs and milkshakes also don't put out that raging fire -- I mean literally, yes they could put out a fire, but figuratively they do not.

Seriously though, we shouldn't be adding fuel to a "fire." Deradicalization efforts by various governments do not include violence. They have laws and systems in place to deal with violence, but I think they would rather employ non-violent preventative measures than expect citizens to use violence against these people.
Old 14th June 2019, 04:09 PM   #3065
Mumbles
Philosopher

Eggs and milkshakes also don't put out that raging fire -- I mean literally, yes they could put out a fire, but figuratively they do not.

Seriously though, we shouldn't be adding fuel to a "fire." Deradicalization efforts by various governments do not include violence. They have laws and systems in place to deal with violence, but I think they would rather employ non-violent preventative measures than expect citizens to use violence against these people.
Can you give an example of any of these murderous bigots getting this treatment, though? From what I've seen, the targets have all been the people who, for profit, tell stories about muslim "rape gangs" attacking hundreds of women in the street, or "Mexican" hordes invading the US with money by George Soros and other bankers (ie. Jews). The guys who never quite say "kill them", but who leave that as the only option.

Since the legal system won't, and often can't, lift a finger against them, and social media sites tend to silence their critics rather than them, this treatment is meant to say "No, you are inspiring for these white nationalist rallies, and these terrorist attacks, and you do it for money. Your looks should match your disgusting words."
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 05:10 PM   #3066
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Pondering is referring to the practice of separating parents and children when the parent commits a crime and is taken to jail.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 10:15 PM   #3067
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

This happened during the Pride festivities in Detroit. The skinheads peacefully sieg-heiling down the street (while carrying firearms) and daring any antifa goon to start some violence were provoked not by the throwing of any egg, but by the mere existence of Pride festivities and LGBT individuals not being ashamed to self-identify publicly. Quoth the white-nationalist organizer of the incident,

And, of course, the Unite the Right Charlottesville, were it wasn't even a reaction to anything that existed, but was solely and entirely an excuse for a bunch of wanna-be fascists to flex their muscles, so to speak. The fact that they had heavily armed themselves before the rally even started was incontrovertible evidence of that fact to anyone who had more than two brain cells to rub together; as was the fact that the first thing they did when they began their march was to attack unarmed, non-violent protesters.

Quote:

"You made me do it," is just such an infantile response that it's difficult to believe anyone here is seriously claiming that it is a significant real-world motivation for the white nationalist terrorists. Seriously, are those people still in grammar school? I mean seriously, the fact that non-white minorities, liberals, queers, and other "undesirables" exist is already more than sufficient motivation for the fascists to become violent, no eggs are needed. Attempting to dispute that is to ignore the entire history of white supremacist and fascist terrorism in this country, and the entire history of white supremacist and fascism in the entirety of world history, for that matter.

After all, what did the Jews do to provoke the Nazis in Germany to become violent?

The Nazis "historical propensity for violence" exists because their ideology demands violence, not because they're threatened by a bunch of people on street corners with dairy products. The very nature of fascism glorifies and lauds violence against anyone who is seen as an enemy, regardless of the nature of the enemy. Or did all of those mentally-disabled people somehow "trigger" them to being violent when they would otherwise have done nothing but stand around and glare a lot?

Last edited by luchog; 14th June 2019 at 10:18 PM.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 10:29 PM   #3068
Mumbles
Philosopher

And, of course, the Unite the Right Charlottesville, were it wasn't even a reaction to anything that existed, but was solely and entirely an excuse for a bunch of wanna-be fascists to flex their muscles, so to speak. The fact that they had heavily armed themselves before the rally even started was incontrovertible evidence of that fact to anyone who had more than two brain cells to rub together; as was the fact that the first thing they did when they began their march was to attack unarmed, non-violent protesters.
Again, Virginia's governor at the time, in an interview with Deray on his Pod Save the People podcast, stated that the Unite the Right goons had also hidden caches of guns around the area that police had picked up. And of course, even their tiki torch rally also featured them beating the snot out of counterprotesters, and attempting to attack an interfaith prayer group at a nearby church. Their violence was planned beforehand on public internet forums. Unfortunately, far too many people dismissed the entire movement as "just trolls/memes" right up until they began murdering people.

And naturally, the people who put these asinine white genocide ideas ("Jews will not replace us!") in their heads - the Kesslers, the Spencers, The Laura Southerns - were nowhere near the violence. And the KKK, and other such supremacists, kept back and let the angry college age boys act as their infantry. So you know what? Toss milkshakes on them if you want. Hit them with an egg. I'm worried about the legal issues it causes, but I truly don't care about the cleanliness of those who egg young men into violence for their own personal gain.

(I'm not sure what Matt Gaetz said to get similar treatment, but I don't keep up much on him...)

Last edited by Mumbles; 14th June 2019 at 10:33 PM.
Old 14th June 2019, 11:17 PM   #3069
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Again, Virginia's governor at the time, in an interview with Deray on his Pod Save the People podcast, stated that the Unite the Right goons had also hidden caches of guns around the area that police had picked up. And of course, even their tiki torch rally also featured them beating the snot out of counterprotesters, and attempting to attack an interfaith prayer group at a nearby church. Their violence was planned beforehand on public internet forums. Unfortunately, far too many people dismissed the entire movement as "just trolls/memes" right up until they began murdering people.

And naturally, the people who put these asinine white genocide ideas ("Jews will not replace us!") in their heads - the Kesslers, the Spencers, The Laura Southerns - were nowhere near the violence. And the KKK, and other such supremacists, kept back and let the angry college age boys act as their infantry. So you know what? Toss milkshakes on them if you want. Hit them with an egg. I'm worried about the legal issues it causes, but I truly don't care about the cleanliness of those who egg young men into violence for their own personal gain.

(I'm not sure what Matt Gaetz said to get similar treatment, but I don't keep up much on him...)
Not doubting you are wrong, but do you mind putting link?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 02:56 AM   #3070
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Not doubting you are wrong, but do you mind putting link?
It's the last of a series of interviews located here. The governor shows up around 30 minutes in, and mentions "weapons stashed around the city" at about 42-43 minutes in (not guns necessarily I suppose). Of course, quite a bit of what he says is BS - we know that, at least, DeAndre Harris was hospitalized after being beaten with poles by four of the goons and was not struck by any car.
Old 15th June 2019, 03:17 AM   #3071
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
It's the last of a series of interviews located here. The governor shows up around 30 minutes in, and mentions "weapons stashed around the city" at about 42-43 minutes in (not guns necessarily I suppose). Of course, quite a bit of what he says is BS - we know that, at least, DeAndre Harris was hospitalized after being beaten with poles by four of the goons and was not struck by any car.
Seems a tad f'd up

Logic would say move to here or Aus
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2019, 12:51 AM   #3072
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

...snip...There can be no true freedom, no true justice, in the sort of society proposed by such people, only levels of privilege and oppression.

For those who support a free society that protects individual liberty, there can be disagreement on how best to achieve and maintain such a society; but compromising with those who would tear down and eliminate freedom and individual liberty for any of its members will do nothing to establish or preserve such a society, only destroy it.
... so let's mob 'em and beat the **** out of them. No eggs here, only fists, feet and beer glasses and the usual unfounded allegation of nazis(!) and outright lies. When did Mens Rights Activists become a far right group?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

First, they egged people claiming it a non-violent act and I did nothing, because they weren't egging me.
Secondly, I stood by as the police refused to act on hard evidence of violent acts because I was not harmed.
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2019, 02:59 AM   #3073
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
... so let's mob 'em and beat the **** out of them. No eggs here, only fists, feet and beer glasses and the usual unfounded allegation of nazis(!) and outright lies. When did Mens Rights Activists become a far right group?

I AGREE

First, they egged people claiming it a non-violent act and I did nothing, because they weren't egging me.
Secondly, I stood by as the police refused to act on hard evidence of violent acts because I was not harmed.
The victim was a known MRA "debater" but he was at an event called "Day Of Freedom", much ballyhooed by the same "reporter", Lucy Brown, but was actually a day of hate speech by her favorite politician Tommy Robinson. I doubt he was speaking, but was along to see some of his ducks of a feather (do you really have trouble recognizing that most MRAs are more far right than moderate, liberal or progressive?).

The Antifa were out in force doing their usual Antifa nastiness. And Tommy's thugs were out doing their thing. This is what those camps do. How the **** does this relate to egging? This is organized armed thuggery - on both sides.

Lucy Brown is a despicable little bitch. I loved the way she plugged the appearance of a dissenter for her Day of Freedom.... and then was silent when Robinson wouldn't let him speak and his thugs went after him!

ETA: Hilited part is unclear. By "he" i mean the guy who was set upon by the Antifa dipstix.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 16th June 2019 at 03:12 AM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2019, 03:09 AM   #3074
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
The silent majority is a myth, and you right wingers have already been killing people for decades, so it's kind of hard for you to escalate. Instead, it's time to start reaping the whirlwind.
One first gets another, and there are more of them. Please face reality and stop contributing to people getting killed.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2019, 03:12 AM   #3075
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Is there any reason to think that they are more likely to react in that way to egging than to argumentation? A well-aimed argument hurts nazis much worse so do you actually think that that won't retaliate with violence in that case?!

Some people here seem to think that only ""eggings" and suchlike" will make nazis (or the alleged "the silent majority") violent:
How would you react to being egged for your views?

How would a convicted gang member?

Now please try and special plead away how with a racist this will change.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2019, 03:16 AM   #3076
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Just think.... if he hadn't simply challenged their beliefs but had egged them? How much worse it could've been. They could've killed him twice, I guess.

So much for the "engage them... debate them..." hypothesis.
By your logic, if I go to a bad neighborhood, I'm as likely to be killed trying to promote civic duty as throwing eggs at people. While both are unlikely to get awesome results, I'm betting if you were to pick one to do, you would pick promoting civic duty.

Why is that? And how will you special plead away how it doesn't apply to bigots.

And for when you do, that is a perfect example of dehumanization, you are taking away basic human reaction from them in your head to justify your actions.
Old 16th June 2019, 03:20 AM   #3077
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
How would you react to being egged for your views?

How would a convicted gang member?

Now please try and special plead away how with a racist this will change.
I know how I have reacted to such assaults, which was to laugh and throw mock air kisses back.
Old 16th June 2019, 03:26 AM   #3078
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
The victim was a known MRA "debater" but he was at an event called "Day Of Freedom", much ballyhooed by the same "reporter", Lucy Brown, but was actually a day of hate speech by her favorite politician Tommy Robinson. I doubt he was speaking, but was along to see some of his ducks of a feather
Entirely irrelevant to the actions shown in this video.

Quote:
(do you really have trouble recognizing that most MRAs are more far right than moderate, liberal or progressive?).
Apparently I do.

Quote:
The Antifa were out in force doing their usual Antifa nastiness. And Tommy's thugs were out doing their thing. This is what those camps do
Irrelevant to the actions shown in the video

Quote:
How the **** does this relate to egging?

Quote:
This is organized armed thuggery - on both sides.
I can't see the thuggery displayed by Rod and his cohorts in this video.

Quote:
Lucy Brown is a despicable little bitch.
You seem to be in agreement with OpposeGI, Antifa and the ironically named fomenters, Hope not Hate. It's rubbing off.

Quote:
I loved the way she plugged the appearance of a dissenter for her Day of Freedom.... and then was silent when Robinson wouldn't let him speak and his thugs went after him!
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2019, 03:32 AM   #3079
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I know how I have reacted to such assaults, which was to laugh and throw mock air kisses back.
If you believe this to be a common reaction please throw an egg at the next large man you see to prove me wrong.

This is what I hate about Internet arguements.

" if you want to prove nerves send pain signals, pour boiling water on your hand, it will hurt"

" actually my hand is asleep right now so it wouldn't , you are wrong. "

If we were in person I'd buy you a dozen eggs and take you to the sketchiest area of town to let you put your money where your mouth is. Online you can pretend you think you actually made a point because this can't happen.

But please show me I'm an idiot, get some produce and a phone and go record yourself showing how nicely people react to being egged.
Old 16th June 2019, 03:48 AM   #3080
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
If you believe this to be a common reaction please throw an egg at the next large man you see to prove me wrong.

This is what I hate about Internet arguements.

" if you want to prove nerves send pain signals, pour boiling water on your hand, it will hurt"

" actually my hand is asleep right now so it wouldn't , you are wrong. "

If we were in person I'd buy you a dozen eggs and take you to the sketchiest area of town to let you put your money where your mouth is. Online you can pretend you think you actually made a point because this can't happen.

But please show me I'm an idiot, get some produce and a phone and go record yourself showing how nicely people react to being egged.
To be fair, you did ask Darat how he would react. I see no reason to doubt his reply and can't see where he promotes his reaction as common.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events