ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida incidents , school incidents , school shootings , shooting incidents

Old 15th April 2018, 01:26 PM   #161
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Then I guess CBS shouldn't try to mislead the public. Interesting that the Snopes debunking says that he had his talking points about the NRA by 6 pm. and, evidently, his parent's permission to ride his bike back to an active crime scene alone and a signed release so he could be interviewed on air. Still not a survivor and barely a witness.
He was there when the attack occurred. That makes him a survivor. YMMD but it would be very, very wrong. Good try but no prize/award for you on this!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2018, 01:28 PM   #162
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

Hogg interviewed classmates

Hogg interviewed fellow students while they were in hiding.
Old 15th April 2018, 01:29 PM   #163
fuelair
Banned

Why? If Snopes is right, CBS shouldn't broadcast David Hogg quotes out of context. But their best evidence that the quote was taken out of context is the fact that he's said he was in class in other interviews. Well, that's what liars do, give conflicting information.
Even worse try. Reread all the appropriate posts for details.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2018, 01:35 PM   #164
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 332nd View Post
It's also a distraction from having to explain how they came to the conclusion they'd be able to fight off that fabled "tyrannical government".

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2018, 03:07 PM   #165
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
He was there when the attack occurred. That makes him a survivor. YMMD but it would be very, very wrong. Good try but no prize/award for you on this!!!
If he was there when the attack occurred, he is a witness. If David Hogg is a "survivor" of a school shooting because he was at school and heard gunshots, all the other students who were similarly situation would also be "survivors." Would a student who was at school but in a different building and didn't hear or see anything also be a "survivor?" What about students who had already gone home for the day? Are they survivors?

If you call a student like David Hogg a "survivor" what do you call the kids who were shot by Nikolas Cruz and spent days or weeks in the hospital recovering? Or a kid who was standing next to somebody who was shot and watched them die? Are they all part of the same "survivors" club?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2018, 03:11 PM   #166
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

If he was there when the attack occurred, he is a witness. If David Hogg is a "survivor" of a school shooting because he was at school and heard gunshots, all the other students who were similarly situation would also be "survivors." Would a student who was at school but in a different building and didn't hear or see anything also be a "survivor?" What about students who had already gone home for the day? Are they survivors?

If you call a student like David Hogg a "survivor" what do you call the kids who were shot by Nikolas Cruz and spent days or weeks in the hospital recovering? Or a kid who was standing next to somebody who was shot and watched them die? Are they all part of the same "survivors" club?
As usual, you have successfully gotten to the heart of this matter. Brushing aside all that nonsense about dead kids and whether or not the guns that were used to kill them ought to be legal, you are focused like a laser on exactly what credentials are needed to have the word "survivor" used to describe someone.

Stay focused. It's working great.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2018, 03:42 PM   #167
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

It purports to show us how a grassroots movement organized by the students at MSD took the world by storm but is actually a documentary of how an anti-NRA media exploited this incident to push its agenda. You know, the "conspiracy theory" that these kids weren't making the news, the news was making the kids.

Surprisingly, they did give airtime to Kyle Kushuv, the only kid who knows what he's talking about. But still, I think all these students will be able to identify with Jessica Lynch in a few years.
One more thought on this post. I watched the show. I now can put a face to the name of David Hogg. Not being a TV news watcher much of the time, I hadn't seen him, or at least not enough to know which one was him. Oh, but that's not the point.

The point I was going to make is that the TV show didn't "purport" to show anything at all. It was a series of video clips, stitched together, with little or no narration. Just an occasional text box. There was no "purporting" going on.

And they not only gave a decent amount of air time to Kyle Kushum, they gave a heck of a lot of air time to Andrew Pollack, who did not advocate gun control.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2018, 03:50 PM   #168
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Ohh I know...

It's "Crisis actors" isn't it?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2018, 03:56 PM   #169
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Ohh I know...

It's "Crisis actors" isn't it?
He already admitted that he was incorrectly using that term. It would be good to just leave it behind us until such time as someone else actually tried to push it.

There's plenty of reasonable stuff that you can disagree with or take issue with him about, either way, if you were so inclined. No need to demean yourself with one-liners about the few things that he's actually admitted error regarding.

ETA: For that post, for example, the simple fact that most of us are using survivor in the sense of "survived a situation where they were in real danger and where a number of others there did die," is enough to show that his attempted distinction is worthy of little more than an eyeroll. As for what we call those actually injured? Usually, "casualty" fits just fine, as an easy example. CaptainHowdy's already discredited the validity of his opinion himself many times over, though, which means that this particular attempt, which was merely a matter of opinion, not fact, could have been safely ignored.

Last edited by Aridas; 15th April 2018 at 04:11 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2018, 06:57 PM   #170
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
<snip>

CaptainHowdy's already discredited the validity of his opinion himself many times over, though,

Sure, he has certainly done that.

Quote:
which means that this particular attempt, which was merely a matter of opinion, not fact, could have been safely ignored.

But then it would be bereft of the public ridicule it deserves.

Some things are safely ignored. Others not so much.

His kind of petty, mean-spirited poison needs to be exposed. The antidote is sunlight, not darkness.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 15th April 2018 at 06:59 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2018, 09:44 PM   #171
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Victims?

I guess being a young person and having a few of your school friends shot and killed doesn't really count for anything (at least in the vile and toxic existence you lead).

Last edited by smartcooky; 15th April 2018 at 09:47 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2018, 12:54 AM   #172
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Yeah, and all those fakers who claim to be Holocaust "survivors" when they never even went into the gas chambers should be next on the list for personal attacks.

Really, this isn't hard. A school was attacked. Some of the pupils were killed, and the rest survived, but the entire school was under attack. The kids who hid in cupboards are survivors. The kids who were standing next to somebody who was shot, are survivors. The kids who were shot but pulled through are survivors. The teachers who were in the school are survivors. Because they were all targets of the attack, and they all survived.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2018, 12:17 PM   #173
fuelair
Banned

You are, I doubt. following the idea that all people present in any active shooter situation except armed persons looking to drop the shooters with prejudice are survivors of a psychiatrically bad situation even if not shot/knifed/etc. physically.
Old 16th April 2018, 01:29 PM   #174
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I hear a lot of people insisting that they need military grade weapons to fight against the government because it's only a matter of time before population control, FEMA reeducation camps, etc...

ETA: Whoops! I could've sworn I put the Military grade weapons line in the original post.

Last edited by 332nd; 16th April 2018 at 01:30 PM.
332nd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2018, 02:19 PM   #175
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 332nd View Post
I hear a lot of people insisting that they need military grade weapons to fight against the government because it's only a matter of time before population control, FEMA reeducation camps, etc...

ETA: Whoops! I could've sworn I put the Military grade weapons line in the original post.
Ah, got you. When I first read it I thought you may have been implying that they do need them for that purpose, not sure why I read it that way in retrospect...

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2018, 02:53 PM   #176
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
He already admitted that he was incorrectly using that term. It would be good to just leave it behind us until such time as someone else actually tried to push it.

There's plenty of reasonable stuff that you can disagree with or take issue with him about, either way, if you were so inclined. No need to demean yourself with one-liners about the few things that he's actually admitted error regarding.

He didn't exactly admit it, more like "OK they weren't crisis actors, but they were plants"

Read what else he posted in the previous part of this thread.

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Sure, he has certainly done that.

But then it would be bereft of the public ridicule it deserves.

Some things are safely ignored. Others not so much.

His kind of petty, mean-spirited poison needs to be exposed. The antidote is sunlight, not darkness.
Exactly.

There are posters who are more pro-gun than me, but who are obviously sincere and rational. They don't promote conspiracy theories about mass shootings.

Mockery is all it's worth.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2018, 08:27 PM   #177
Aridas

He didn't exactly admit it, more like "OK they weren't crisis actors, but they were plants"

That doesn't change that the term "crisis actor" is best left to the past, in part because continuing to poke at it gives him easy ways out. Without checking, as I recall, "plants" would be a bit inaccurate, too. He described them more like convenient, easily manipulable pawns and relied heavily on the fact that adults exist in their lives, some of which did share their opinions, unsurprisingly, and some of which did help them get things done to try to discredit them, without ever touching the actual issues that they championed beyond general insults and seemingly grudging acknowledgement of some unspecified parts.

There are posters who are more pro-gun than me, but who are obviously sincere and rational. They don't promote conspiracy theories about mass shootings.
To speak for myself, I have no problem with pro-gun people, myself. My problem lies with bad arguments, regardless of who uses them. That far too many of the pro-gun people seem to have a penchant for trotting out terrible and absurd arguments is certainly an undeniable mark against them as a whole, though.

Last edited by Aridas; 16th April 2018 at 08:28 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 07:47 AM   #178
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
As usual, you have successfully gotten to the heart of this matter. Brushing aside all that nonsense about dead kids and whether or not the guns that were used to kill them ought to be legal, you are focused like a laser on exactly what credentials are needed to have the word "survivor" used to describe someone.

Stay focused. It's working great.
Thank you for your support. I don't agree with you that this is actually the "heart of the matter." After all, it's really the media that are pushing the "David Hogg as a survivor" narrative. There are so many other things about David Hogg that are wrong it doesn't do any good to focus on this.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 07:52 AM   #179
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

One more thought on this post. I watched the show. I now can put a face to the name of David Hogg. Not being a TV news watcher much of the time, I hadn't seen him, or at least not enough to know which one was him. Oh, but that's not the point.

The point I was going to make is that the TV show didn't "purport" to show anything at all. It was a series of video clips, stitched together, with little or no narration. Just an occasional text box. There was no "purporting" going on.

And they not only gave a decent amount of air time to Kyle Kushum, they gave a heck of a lot of air time to Andrew Pollack, who did not advocate gun control.
Then what was the show about? It wasn't just a series of video clips thrown together at random without any attempt at telling a story.
Old 17th April 2018, 08:05 AM   #180
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Victims?
OK. Then what do you call the kids who were killed?

Quote:
I guess being a young person and having a few of your school friends shot and killed doesn't really count for anything (at least in the vile and toxic existence you lead).
It doesn't give them any special insight into gun control policy nor does it give them the right to deflect the blame for Nikolas Cruz away from the government entities and policies that are responsible.
Old 17th April 2018, 08:07 AM   #181
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Also victims. If a gang holds up three people, kills one of them, stabs the second who subsequently survives, and tries to stab the third but fails because he runs away, do we now need different words to describe what level of victim each one of them is? Not particularly; a reasonable person would simply agree that all three are victims of a hold-up.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 09:07 AM   #182
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

It doesn't give them any special insight into gun control policy nor does it give them the right to deflect the blame for Nikolas Cruz away from the government entities and policies that are responsible.
Just as Candace Lightner had no special insight into drunk driving laws. And yet she seems to have made a real positive impact in our country. I hope this survivors have a similar impact.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 09:25 AM   #183
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Just as Candace Lightner had no special insight into drunk driving laws. And yet she seems to have made a real positive impact in our country. I hope this survivors have a similar impact.
Very good analogy. I had used Rosa Parks in an earlier reference, but it isn't quite the same. Candace Lightner is a much better example of someone who played the same role that these kids were playing. Before Candy Lightner, everyone was anti drunk driving, but she lit a fire under the politicians that actually changed the laws.

Now that the march is over, they've gone much lower profile. I suppose we'll see in November if this burst of activity actually produces results where others did not. There have been a few baby steps so far, but nothing really substantial. Will they have enough impact to affect the elections? Of course, one possibility is that the only effect will be a "get out the vote" campaign for pro gun folks.

One thing about that. I don't know what to call the factions in this debate. I said "pro gun" in the previous paragraph, but that's not really accurate. There are plenty of people, myself included, that are not anti-gun, but want much tighter restrictions on guns, including complete bans on new sales of some types of guns. That isn't "anti-gun", but "anti-assault-weapon" sounds awkward, and "pro gun restriction" isn't much better. I suppose "pro gun control" describes me fairly well, although even that could be easily misinterpreted (perhaps deliberately) to make it seem like I want to take away your handgun.
Old 17th April 2018, 09:31 AM   #184
Dave Rogers

One thing about that. I don't know what to call the factions in this debate. I said "pro gun" in the previous paragraph, but that's not really accurate. There are plenty of people, myself included, that are not anti-gun, but want much tighter restrictions on guns, including complete bans on new sales of some types of guns. That isn't "anti-gun", but "anti-assault-weapon" sounds awkward, and "pro gun restriction" isn't much better. I suppose "pro gun control" describes me fairly well, although even that could be easily misinterpreted (perhaps deliberately) to make it seem like I want to take away your handgun.
That may be the most important thing to address. If the NRA has managed, as it seems to have, to take away the language that its opponents can use to define their position, then the debate's over before it starts.

Dave

Old 17th April 2018, 09:47 AM   #185
crescent
Illuminator

I lean towards "Pro-regulation", or "Pro increased regulation" for my side.

I usually lean towards just accepting whatever terms the other side wants to use for itself, even if those terms seem geared towards creating false distinctions.

For example, those who favor fewer regulations sometimes call themselves "Pro-2A", or even "pro-constitution". They are in favor of the Second Amendment, so it is accurate in that regard. However, many of us who want much stronger regulation also have no problem with the 2A, and only support solutions that comply with it. I want much, much stronger regulations of firearms in the U.S., but that can be done well within the confines of the 2A, I am not anti-second amendment by any stretch.

That said, no term is perfect.

The most rabid pro-gun people on this forum, for example, mostly seem to favor at least some regulations, at least some things that are thought of as "gun control". We've maybe got one or two uber-libertarians who want no regulation whatsoever, but that's it - one or two people.

We've got a couple of forum members who want to ban or confiscate guns, but that's it - one or two people. Most of us who favor strongly increased regulations still don't want a full ban.

Any term will be hijacked and mist-stated by opponents in an attempt to create strawmen and false dichotomies anyway. That's true of most anything controversial, not unique to the debate over firearms regulations and laws.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 09:52 AM   #186
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

I didn't call them "plants." 'Tools' or 'stooges' is a more appropriate word. They're students who are being used by the media to promote an anti-gun agenda.

Quote:

Exactly.

Mockery is all it's worth.
I have never promoted "conspiracy theories" about Parkland or any other mass shooting. My theory was only a "conspiracy theory" to the vast numbers of people who believed they were witnessing the birth of a nation wide movement built from the ground up by an extraordinary group of teenagers.

There are some people who think that Parkland, like Sandy Hook, was faked footage with actors playing the role of grieving parents and that nobody really died. There are some people who think that the shooting was real and that kids really did die but that law enforcement was working with Nikolas Cruz to create an incident that would justify taking all our guns. Those people are conspiracy theorists. My theory that anti-gun people in the media jumped at this opportunity and organized some photogenic teenagers who are comfortable in front of the camera to promote their agenda is what happened. Anybody who knows anything about how the news media works could see this happening in real time.

Some of you are now pretending you always knew that anti-gun nutters exploited these kids to promote their agenda from day one. But see, here's the thing, we can look at what you were saying a month ago or two months ago to see that you fell for it. Only when the media started admitting that these kids weren't really doing it all themselves did you change your tune.
Old 17th April 2018, 09:56 AM   #187
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I didn't call them "plants." 'Tools' or 'stooges' is a more appropriate word. They're students who are being used by the media to promote an anti-gun agenda.

I have never promoted "conspiracy theories" about Parkland or any other mass shooting. My theory was only a "conspiracy theory" to the vast numbers of people who believed they were witnessing the birth of a nation wide movement built from the ground up by an extraordinary group of teenagers.

There are some people who think that Parkland, like Sandy Hook, was faked footage with actors playing the role of grieving parents and that nobody really died. There are some people who think that the shooting was real and that kids really did die but that law enforcement was working with Nikolas Cruz to create an incident that would justify taking all our guns. Those people are conspiracy theorists. My theory that anti-gun people in the media jumped at this opportunity and organized some photogenic teenagers who are comfortable in front of the camera to promote their agenda is what happened. Anybody who knows anything about how the news media works could see this happening in real time.

Some of you are now pretending you always knew that anti-gun nutters exploited these kids to promote their agenda from day one. But see, here's the thing, we can look at what you were saying a month ago or two months ago to see that you fell for it. Only when the media started admitting that these kids weren't really doing it all themselves did you change your tune.
That's somewhat ambiguous - Are you saying that some people believe that both Sandy Hook and Parkland are fake, or are you saying that Sandy Hook was fake, and that some people believe that Parkland was too?
Old 17th April 2018, 01:20 PM   #188
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Victims.

victim
ˈvɪktɪm/
noun
noun: victim; plural noun: victims

1. a person harmed, injured, or killed as a result of a crime, accident, or other event or action.
"victims of domestic violence"
"a victim of violent crime"
"the victim was traumatised by their experience"

2 a person who is tricked or duped.
"the victim of a hoax"
"they intended me to be the victim of a confidence trick"

3. a person who has come to feel helpless and passive in the face of misfortune or ill-treatment.
"I saw myself as a victim"

I have highlighted the word "harmed". Harm" can be physical, emotional or psychological...you don't have to be shot or killed to be a victim.

They are, nonetheless, in a country that prides itself on free speech, ENTITLED TO THEIR OPINION....that is written in your constitution too!!!
Old 17th April 2018, 01:31 PM   #189
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

I have never promoted "conspiracy theories" about Parkland or any other mass shooting.
Haha... yeah, okay:
Quote:
I said unambiguously that Emma and David are "crisis actors.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...7#post12239557
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 04:02 PM   #190
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

My theory that anti-gun people in the media jumped at this opportunity and organized some photogenic teenagers who are comfortable in front of the camera to promote their agenda is what happened.
If that's literally what you believe, then I believe you are wrong. These kids organized themselves in Cameron Kamsky's bedroom.

Of course, if that had been the end of it, we would have never heard of it. What the media did was give them a lot of publicity, that's what the media does. That publicity led to a lot of donations, and a lot of organization for things that couldn't have been done by some 17 year olds in their bedroom. These kids were a good story, and the media promoted them. Are these kids media creations? Certainly. Isn't everyone you have ever heard of? How did you hear of them if it were not for the media?

However, there's one other thing that you got wrong. You think the media's agenda is to promote gun control. That's wrong. The media's agenda is to sell toothpaste, and these kids are doing a bang-up job at it.

So, if you think that these kids would have just remained insignificant kids had it not been for media exposure, you are right. They said so themselves in some of those "39 Days" clips. However, if you think the media invented this group and got them together to do the media's bidding, you're wrong. The media is along for the ride, and giving them as much exposure as possible, because in between soundbites they can run commercials.

There are politicians, one in particular I can think of, who understand that and play it for all it's worth. Do you think when they gave that dude so much free air time in 2015 and 2016 that it was part of their agenda to get him elected? Not a chance, but he attracted the crowds and they could sell toothpaste, so they did it.

Quote:
My theory was only a "conspiracy theory" to the vast numbers of people who believed they were witnessing the birth of a nation wide movement built from the ground up by an extraordinary group of teenagers.
Literally no one believed this.

However, some of us did find what these kids were doing inspiring. It got us off our butts to do at least a tiny bit. I bought a T-shirt. My wife went to a rally. It's not much, but it's a little. It's not that we suddenly witnessed this "movement". We had believed the same way for a long time, and we had pretty much given up on making change, but there was something about this time that made us think this might be the one. Was it the kids? Was it the media who gave them all the attention? Who cares? It doesn't matter. We were there before they were, but we needed a little incentive to do something.

But here we are again talking about these kids. Is that all you'e got?

There are substantive proposals in play. Ban assault weapons. Universal background checks. Age restrictions. Registration of existing weapons. Do you want to talk these substantive issues, or do you want to continue attacking some teenagers.

My guess is you will do the latter, because that is, in fact, all you've got.
Old 17th April 2018, 07:51 PM   #191
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

It doesn't give them any special insight into gun control policy

Sure it does. More than other kids who weren't victims of a mass shooting at their middle school.

And it certainly gives them an extra impetus to gain more insight.

Quote:
nor does it give them the right to deflect the blame for Nikolas Cruz away from the government entities and policies that are responsible.

It looks more to me like it is exactly "the government entities and policies that are responsible" which they are aiming their protests at.

What, exactly, are you finding fault with?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 07:58 PM   #192
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>

Some of you are now pretending you always knew that anti-gun nutters exploited these kids to promote their agenda from day one.

I haven't noticed anyone at all here who is doing that.

Well ... aside from you, that is.

Quote:
But see, here's the thing, we can look at what you were saying a month ago or two months ago to see that you fell for it.

This is where you get to offer links supporting the claim you are making. Shouldn't be hard, with all the examples you seem to be claiming you have.

Quote:
Only when the media started admitting that these kids weren't really doing it all themselves did you change your tune.

There's another one that would be well accompanied with some links supporting your claim.

Which may be problematic, since no one was saying the things you claim they have been.

Old 17th April 2018, 08:56 PM   #193
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post

I usually lean towards just accepting whatever terms the other side wants to use for itself, even if those terms seem geared towards creating false distinctions.

For example, those who favor fewer regulations sometimes call themselves "Pro-2A", or even "pro-constitution". They are in favor of the Second Amendment, so it is accurate in that regard. However, many of us who want much stronger regulation also have no problem with the 2A, and only support solutions that comply with it. I want much, much stronger regulations of firearms in the U.S., but that can be done well within the confines of the 2A, I am not anti-second amendment by any stretch.

That said, no term is perfect.

The most rabid pro-gun people on this forum, for example, mostly seem to favor at least some regulations, at least some things that are thought of as "gun control". We've maybe got one or two uber-libertarians who want no regulation whatsoever, but that's it - one or two people.

We've got a couple of forum members who want to ban or confiscate guns, but that's it - one or two people. Most of us who favor strongly increased regulations still don't want a full ban.

Any term will be hijacked and mist-stated by opponents in an attempt to create strawmen and false dichotomies anyway. That's true of most anything controversial, not unique to the debate over firearms regulations and laws.
Very good points. I tend to say I want better gun regulation, or effective gun regulation.

Doesn't help that I'm a legal gun owner, I'm still told I'm anti-2nd Amendment and want a ban. (And that I don't know anything about guns, but they tell me that when I extol the virtues of a bolt action in .243 too.)
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 09:08 PM   #194
Aridas

Literally no one believed this.
I want to agree with you, but one can find people who believe all kinds of crazy things. I certainly never believed it, though. That somewhat leads to -

Some of us are pretending to have had a modicum of common sense and understanding of how the world works all along and didn't feel the need to constantly explain all the blatantly obvious and generally irrelevant details? What a shock!

I'm curious about which people you're referencing, either way, CaptainHowdy. Perhaps you could provide some examples?

Last edited by Aridas; 17th April 2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 18th April 2018, 12:34 AM   #195
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
One of the things that's been established in the aftermath of this and many other shootings is that a big part of the problem is that there are laws and regulations on gun sale and ownership which might well have prevented them, had they actually been enforced. Would it be a good idea, then, to describe yourself as "Pro-enforcement to a proper standard of existing laws"? I suspect it would be at least a little more difficult for the NRA to rubbish a stance that could be so conveniently abbreviated to "Pro-law enforcement."

Dave

Old 18th April 2018, 06:56 AM   #196
Kestrel
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
One of the things that's been established in the aftermath of this and many other shootings is that a big part of the problem is that there are laws and regulations on gun sale and ownership which might well have prevented them, had they actually been enforced. Would it be a good idea, then, to describe yourself as "Pro-enforcement to a proper standard of existing laws"? I suspect it would be at least a little more difficult for the NRA to rubbish a stance that could be so conveniently abbreviated to "Pro-law enforcement..
The Florida School shooter did show signs of being disturbed. But did those prior incidents rise to the level that clearly justified felony charges or involuntary commitment to a mental health facility?

Or does it only look that way with 20/20 hindsight?
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2018, 07:09 AM   #197
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
One of the things that's been established in the aftermath of this and many other shootings is that a big part of the problem is that there are laws and regulations on gun sale and ownership which might well have prevented them, had they actually been enforced. Would it be a good idea, then, to describe yourself as "Pro-enforcement to a proper standard of existing laws"? I suspect it would be at least a little more difficult for the NRA to rubbish a stance that could be so conveniently abbreviated to "Pro-law enforcement."

Dave
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
The Florida School shooter did show signs of being disturbed. But did those prior incidents rise to the level that clearly justified felony charges or involuntary commitment to a mental health facility?

Or does it only look that way with 20/20 hindsight?

I admit I've been quiet on the interactions between the Florida shooter and the police prior to the shooting.

We hear about regulations not being enforced, with the 20+ interactions the police had with the shooters house. What I have not heard, however, is if the police actually would have had the legal authority to do anything - did any of the things that precipitated the calls have actually been serious enough to create legal justification for arrest, or to confiscate his guns?

It is easy to say that they should have done something. I have not seen anyone actually show what legal options they actually had, or what the calls were actually about. I have heard rumors (unsubstantiated) for example, that many of the calls were due to complaints about the shooter's brother, not the shooter himself.

Can someone tell me what complaints there were that were serious enough or had enough evidence for the police to hold him, or to take his guns away?
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2018, 07:47 AM   #198
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I was looking in one of our local free arts-and-events papers today, and came across this cartoon strip, which of course is meant to be a satire, except that I found it eerily resembling some of the posts here. I had to laugh a bit when it mentioned the fine slicing of what is a victim, the buzz words, and even George Soros.

"The real victims are the ones who died - and they're not out marching against guns!"

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2018, 08:01 AM   #199
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Very good analogy. I had used Rosa Parks in an earlier reference, but it isn't quite the same. Candace Lightner is a much better example of someone who played the same role that these kids were playing. Before Candy Lightner, everyone was anti drunk driving, but she lit a fire under the politicians that actually changed the laws.

Now that the march is over, they've gone much lower profile. I suppose we'll see in November if this burst of activity actually produces results where others did not. There have been a few baby steps so far, but nothing really substantial. Will they have enough impact to affect the elections? Of course, one possibility is that the only effect will be a "get out the vote" campaign for pro gun folks.

If the goal is reducing the death toll from mass shootings, not just school shootings, taking away assault rifles won't cut it. You'll need to take away handguns as well.
Old 18th April 2018, 08:06 AM   #200
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

That's somewhat ambiguous - Are you saying that some people believe that both Sandy Hook and Parkland are fake, or are you saying that Sandy Hook was fake, and that some people believe that Parkland was too?
Some people think both are complete fabrications. I think that Sandy Hook and Parkland and every other mass shooting that's been reported in the media actually happened.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events