ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 12th June 2019, 01:29 PM   #3321
Lrrr
Stealth Hug Ninja
 
Lrrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: North of Reality
Posts: 244
Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
Yes I do. It is the force that causes gas to move from high pressure to low pressure when there is a pressure gradient. Very simple
Now can you define 'pressure gradient force' in terms other than (paraphrasing but pretty close here) 'it is the force when there is a pressure gradient'. Moving the words around is not the same as defining (and understanding) a term.
__________________
“Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.” - Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes
Lrrr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 01:29 PM   #3322
MinimumWageShill
Scholar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 72
Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
Only illusionary tactics can prove lies
So Gingervytes are you Tatumsid on The Flat Earth Society then?
MinimumWageShill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 01:32 PM   #3323
Elagabalus
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,432
Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
Only illusionary tactics can prove lies
The onus is on you to prove to us that your theory is correct. So prove it. And don't bother showing us your previous ********* vidoes. The only thing they prove is how pathetically bad you are at performing experiments.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 01:33 PM   #3324
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 11,642
Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
Indirect evidence like alleged space missions and satellites is not acceptable

GINGERVYTES
__________________
#THEYAREUS
The Mueller Report must be released to Congress in full - If Trump has nothing to hide, then he should also have nothing to fear!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 01:39 PM   #3325
MinimumWageShill
Scholar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 72
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
The onus is on you to prove to us that your theory is correct. So prove it. And don't bother showing us your previous ********* vidoes. The only thing they prove is how pathetically bad you are at performing experiments.
But that's all s/he's got. Cling on to youtube videos that you can't see or understand the errors in, then the next stage is to perpetuate (and maybe expand) the errors in your own videos usually using the first video as an authority and so it goes on.
MinimumWageShill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 01:45 PM   #3326
Elagabalus
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,432
Originally Posted by MinimumWageShill View Post
But that's all s/he's got. Cling on to youtube videos that you can't see or understand the errors in, then the next stage is to perpetuate (and maybe expand) the errors in your own videos usually using the first video as an authority and so it goes on.
Only now he's fighting a war on two fronts.



You're overextended GV!! The Globalists are going to teach you a lesson!!*



*About Physics!! So bring your notebook and a pen!!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 01:59 PM   #3327
MinimumWageShill
Scholar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 72
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Only now he's fighting a war on two fronts.



You're overextended GV!! The Globalists are going to teach you a lesson!!*



*About Physics!! So bring your notebook and a pen!!
But he will only believe his own 'science'. He won't believe the Earth is a globe no matter what evidence is presented. You have to protect your theories and so rockets can't work in a vaccum. Move on a step and satellites can't exist. From there GPS is ground based. From there....Basically Cognitive dissonance in a nutshell.
MinimumWageShill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 01:59 PM   #3328
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 24,029
Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
The evidence I will accept is proof of an equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force.

Indirect evidence like alleged space missions and satellites is not acceptable
Hey Gingervytes, are there tigers in India?
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 02:35 PM   #3329
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 18,598
Even on flat earth GV would be wrong




ETA: And before anyone claims that GV does not believe in orbits, he has to believe they are possible because....

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu4IXiu3L5M
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...

Last edited by abaddon; 12th June 2019 at 02:44 PM.
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 03:18 PM   #3330
Robin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,646
Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
Yes I do. It is the force that causes gas to move from high pressure to low pressure when there is a pressure gradient. Very simple
It is the force exerted by a fluid in which there is a pressure gradient. The force can be exerted on gases, liquids and solids.

Never mind, it is close enough. Incidentally, can you define "pressure" and state what causes it?

So, again, the illustration below is of an area of expanding gas and a steel plate to the left of it and in open space with no other objects nearby.

So:

1. Which point has the greater pressure, A or G?
2. Will particles between A and G move towards A or towards G?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grenade_and_gas3.jpg (35.4 KB, 7 views)
__________________
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"

Last edited by Robin; 12th June 2019 at 03:20 PM.
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 03:43 PM   #3331
Robin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,646
Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
The evidence I will accept is proof of an equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force.
That is easy and has already been given.

P1: If there was no equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force then some particle interactions would happen without momentum being conserved.
P2: No particle interactions happen without momentum being conserved
Conclusion: There is equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force. (By modus tollens P1,P2)

The proof is formally valid and both premises are true and so the argument is sound.

If you are saying there is something wrong with this, you will have to tell me which premise you disagree with P1 or P2.

Incidentally, as I have shown, even if we granted the absurd claim that there is no equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force, rockets would still work in a vacuum. They would just have a slower exhaust.
__________________
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 03:59 PM   #3332
Robin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,646
Originally Posted by MinimumWageShill View Post
So Gingervytes are you Tatumsid on The Flat Earth Society then?
I bet even the FES folk would bridle at the claim that a gas expanding in a vacuum will not come into contact with nearby objects.
__________________
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 05:23 PM   #3333
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,887
Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
The evidence I will accept is proof of an equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force.

Indirect evidence like alleged space missions and satellites is not acceptable
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 05:26 PM   #3334
Myriad
Hyperthetical
 
Myriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Posts: 14,926
Yeah, actual rockets actually working in space isn't evidence that rockets work in space.
__________________
A zÝmbie once bit my sister...
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 05:32 PM   #3335
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,887
Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Yeah, actual rockets actually working in space isn't evidence that rockets work in space.
Of course denying evidence is the only way he can continue this thread - which will be endless.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 05:42 PM   #3336
Robin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,646
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Of course denying evidence is the only way he can continue this thread - which will be endless.
He is not only denying evidence, he is contradicting his own claim. He is focussing on pressure gradient force and yet is claiming that the gas will not move from an area of high pressure to an area of low pressure, but will in fact move the other way.
__________________
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 06:07 PM   #3337
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9,698
Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
The evidence I will accept is proof of an equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force.


https://kb.osu.edu/handle/1811/14737
__________________
Look what I found! There's this whole web site full of skeptics that spun off from the James Randy Education Foundation!
halleyscomet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 06:10 PM   #3338
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9,698
Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
The evidence I will accept is proof of an equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force.



Indirect evidence like alleged space missions and satellites is not acceptable

ďPressure gradients in a liquid propellant rocket motorĒ
https://arc.aiaa.org/doi/abs/10.2514...rnalCode=aiaaj

Of course youíre going to reject any evidence we offer. We know this. Itís been experimentally verified. Now shuffle along and stop interrupting the science based rocketry discussion with your feeble efforts to support the Flat Earth movementís single stupidest talking point.
__________________
Look what I found! There's this whole web site full of skeptics that spun off from the James Randy Education Foundation!
halleyscomet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 06:17 PM   #3339
Gingervytes
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 283
Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
ďPressure gradients in a liquid propellant rocket motorĒ
https://arc.aiaa.org/doi/abs/10.2514...rnalCode=aiaaj

Of course youíre going to reject any evidence we offer. We know this. Itís been experimentally verified. Now shuffle along and stop interrupting the science based rocketry discussion with your feeble efforts to support the Flat Earth movementís single stupidest talking point.
And how does this information prove that there is an equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force?
Gingervytes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 06:33 PM   #3340
Robin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,646
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
That is easy and has already been given.

P1: If there was no equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force then some particle interactions would happen without momentum being conserved.
P2: No particle interactions happen without momentum being conserved
Conclusion: There is equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force. (By modus tollens P1,P2)

The proof is formally valid and both premises are true and so the argument is sound.

If you are saying there is something wrong with this, you will have to tell me which premise you disagree with P1 or P2.

Incidentally, as I have shown, even if we granted the absurd claim that there is no equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force, rockets would still work in a vacuum. They would just have a slower exhaust.
Gingervytes, you asked for a proof, I gave you one.

The inference is formally valid, so if he conclusion is wrong then one of the premises, either P1 or P2 must be wrong. Which one do you say is wrong?
__________________
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 06:38 PM   #3341
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 18,122
Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
The evidence I will accept is proof of an equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force.

Indirect evidence like alleged space missions and satellites is not acceptable
What impact does what you will accept have on what is actually happening?

Besides, you don't believe any of this. Not really.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 06:39 PM   #3342
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 18,122
Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
And how does this information prove that there is an equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force?
Why do you insist on denying what we all know you know to be true. There's no honest inquiry here. Your beliefs serve a different purpose. Everyone here knows that.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 06:41 PM   #3343
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 18,122
Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
Only illusionary tactics can prove lies
Quiet please, grown-ups are talking.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 07:14 PM   #3344
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 12,699
Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
And how does this information prove that there is an equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force?
You are a liar.
__________________
On 22 JUL 2016, Candidate Donald Trump in his acceptance speech: "There can be no prosperity without law and order."
On 05 FEB 2019, President Donald Trump said in his Sate of the Union Address: "If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation."
On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 07:24 PM   #3345
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 21,450
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
You are a liarspammer.
Just promoting Jerry Sprockets lame videos. I wonder why....
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 08:18 PM   #3346
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,187
Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
And how does this information prove that there is an equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force?
Meaningless twaddle. You don't know what any of that means.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 08:54 PM   #3347
Robin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,646
Hmmm... I am beginning to think that centuries of science has not been nullified by someone waggling a dyson at a toy car for a few seconds after all.
__________________
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 10:45 PM   #3348
Robin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,646
Will a gas expanding in a vacuum come into contact with nearby objects?

Of course it will.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cbSq2zCDGNuJQBHq6
__________________
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 04:45 AM   #3349
Steve001
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,435
Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
And how does this information prove that there is an equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force?
Here ya go. A rocket working in the vacuum of space. This Space X launch took place yesterday 6/12/19. https://youtu.be/SuWciGjQ4e8
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 04:51 AM   #3350
bknight
Graduate Poster
 
bknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,552
Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
Yes I do. It is the force that causes gas to move from high pressure to low pressure when there is a pressure gradient. Very simple
No pressure is a force per unit area, where is mass in this expression?
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 04:52 AM   #3351
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 31,029
Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
Only illusionary tactics can prove lies

I wondered why you were using them.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 04:58 AM   #3352
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9,698
Rockets cannot propel in the vacuum of space.

Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
And how does this information prove that there is an equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force?


It doesnít. Youíre not engaging honestly. Youíre ignoring all the input people offer in order to parrot the same catchphrase like a sitcom character. Why should I put any effort in responding to you when I know you will be replying with all the thought and insight of an Elizabot?

You are a liar spamming videos by an idiot.
__________________
Look what I found! There's this whole web site full of skeptics that spun off from the James Randy Education Foundation!

Last edited by halleyscomet; 13th June 2019 at 05:06 AM.
halleyscomet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 05:20 AM   #3353
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9,698
__________________
Look what I found! There's this whole web site full of skeptics that spun off from the James Randy Education Foundation!
halleyscomet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 05:52 AM   #3354
Ranb
Philosopher
 
Ranb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: WA USA
Posts: 9,691
I'm assuming that the guy is pushing a bowling ball to generate the force to move himself backward? He should have also used a balloon to show how the difference in mass ejected affects movement of his body.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 06:03 AM   #3355
JeanTate
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,613
Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
No pressure gradient force anywhere to be seen!
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 06:12 AM   #3356
Doubt
Philosopher
 
Doubt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 6,979
Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
I'm assuming that the guy is pushing a bowling ball to generate the force to move himself backward? He should have also used a balloon to show how the difference in mass ejected affects movement of his body.
Change up the experiment. Replace human with a small cannon. fire it empty see how far it moves. Use the same size charge and fire a cannonball to see how much further it moves.
__________________
Doubt world tour locations:

Detroit, Mexico, Detroit, Mexico....
Repeat for all of 2017 except when on vacation.
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 06:14 AM   #3357
bknight
Graduate Poster
 
bknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,552
Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
Yes I do. It is the force that causes gas to move from high pressure to low pressure when there is a pressure gradient. Very simple
Gas moves from higher pressure to lower pressure period, nothing to do with a "pressure gradient force"
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 06:19 AM   #3358
JeanTate
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,613
Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
I'm assuming that the guy is pushing a bowling ball to generate the force to move himself backward? He should have also used a balloon to show how the difference in mass ejected affects movement of his body.
A balloon which he throws? Or one which he holds and pops with a pin? Or a balloon whose neck he holds and slowly loosens (fart-like sounds optional )?
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 06:22 AM   #3359
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 12,699
Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
And just how much did they pay you to post that video?

__________________
On 22 JUL 2016, Candidate Donald Trump in his acceptance speech: "There can be no prosperity without law and order."
On 05 FEB 2019, President Donald Trump said in his Sate of the Union Address: "If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation."
On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 06:26 AM   #3360
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9,698
Originally Posted by bknight View Post
Gas moves from higher pressure to lower pressure period, nothing to do with a "pressure gradient force"
That doesn't matter to Gingervytes. She / He is using thinking similar to that of a Young Earth Creationist. A deliberate misrepresentation of science is a key component of such mythologies. A common tactic is to create an imaginary version of the science being challenged and then demand proof consistent not with what science theorizes, but with the straw man created by the Creationist.

Gingervytes claims that a vague "Pressure gradient force" is a core component of how science claims rockets fly. They are clinging to this idea like a Creationist demanding proof of a bacteria evolving directly into a human being. "Pressure Gradient Force" is Gingervytes' Crocoduck.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
Look what I found! There's this whole web site full of skeptics that spun off from the James Randy Education Foundation!
halleyscomet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:45 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.