ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th May 2019, 06:27 AM   #1
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Fun with the Mercator projection

I'm sure we all know that it exaggerates size more and more towards the poles, but the extent of it is nicely shown in this animation. I bumped into it by accidentally learning that Great Britain is the world's 8th largest island, which surprised me

The animation
Old 27th May 2019, 07:16 AM   #2
Wolrab
Illuminator

Cool.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 07:34 AM   #3
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Nice, while I'm familiar with the Mercator projection I guess I never realized how enlarged Russia, Siberia and Greenland were in such projections, until now. Thanks.
Old 27th May 2019, 08:16 AM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
I'm sure we all know that it exaggerates size more and more towards the poles, but the extent of it is nicely shown in this animation. I bumped into it by accidentally learning that Great Britain is the world's 8th largest island, which surprised me

The animation
Yes, that's quite excellent!

I also just learned the bolded bit last night, while reading a Bill Bryson book.
Old 27th May 2019, 08:35 AM   #5
Humots
Critical Thinker

Very nice! Is there a problem with the countries below the equator?
Humots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 08:58 AM   #6
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Humots View Post
Never hit a country below the equator.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 08:58 AM   #7
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Anti-Mercatorist propaganda!

https://geoawesomeness.com/best-map-projection/

It seems the British school system prefers the Galls-Peters projection!

And The National Geographic Society prefers the Winkel-Tripel.*

*sounds like an ice-skating move.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 09:12 AM   #8
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Why? Watch Australia or Argentina, you'll see them grow and shrink. The thing is, there's a lot more land mass north of the equator, especially far north, so it's more obvious. Even most of Africa is north of the equator.

And even shrunk to its proper scale, Russia is enormous.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 27th May 2019 at 09:13 AM. Reason: jw
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 09:16 AM   #9
Elagabalus
Illuminator

It's nice to see those pompous braggarts the Canadians get their comeuppance!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 09:37 AM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I like how the article describes the animation as "brilliant". Like he discovered the tradeoffs of the the Mercator projection, and morphing animations.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 11:26 AM   #11
JDC
Thinker

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
It's nice to see those pompous braggarts the Canadians get their comeuppance!
We're still bigger than you, you bastage!

Largest North American Countries: (by land area)

Canada: 9,984,670 sq km.
United States: 9,826,630 sq km.
Mexico: 1,923,040 sq km.
Nicaragua: 120,254 sq km.
Honduras: 112,090 sq km.
Cuba: 110,860 sq km.
Guatemala: 108,890 sq km.
Panama: 78,200 sq km.

https://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/...s/nalandst.htm

PS Assuming you're one of our Southern Neighbours, if not I apologize!

Last edited by JDC; 27th May 2019 at 11:28 AM.
JDC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 12:15 PM   #12
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

There are basically three types of projections (with several variations):

- Angle-true (like Mercator).
- Distance-true (like many land-maps).
- Area-true.

Charts (for maritime and air navigation) are always angle-true, because you need to be able to plot a compass course.

Land maps are often distance-true because that is what matters there (since you follow roads, angles are secondary).

Area-true are useful exactly to understand geographical proportions.

Hans
Old 27th May 2019, 01:01 PM   #13
GlennB

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Yes, that's quite excellent!

I also just learned the bolded bit last night, while reading a Bill Bryson book.
"Notes from a small [hee hee] island" ? Loved that book. Actually I loved most of his stuff.
Old 27th May 2019, 01:05 PM   #14
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Anti-Mercatorist propaganda!

https://geoawesomeness.com/best-map-projection/

It seems the British school system prefers the Galls-Peters projection!

And The National Geographic Society prefers the Winkel-Tripel.*

*sounds like an ice-skating move.
I prefer Dymaxion

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 01:14 PM   #15
GlennB

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I prefer Dymaxion
Just looked. Bleuurghh.
Old 27th May 2019, 02:50 PM   #16
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Anybody else read Bowditch? I found the logic and math elegant.

Volume II has a small ephemeris to go along with my plastic sextant.

IIRC, the local high noon gives longitude form Greenwich. (accurate clock needed) The degrees above the horizon at noon gives a circle for latitude. Where the longitude and the circle cross gives you two options of your position.

Goodness, I just checked eBay, real USN brass sextants are down to $40. I might have to buy a couple, ya know, marine prepper? And a couple ephemeri , $10 each, one for noon and one for midnight.

Talk about a wealth of outdated knowledge...

Last edited by casebro; 27th May 2019 at 02:57 PM.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 03:21 PM   #17
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

I had no idea Canada was just a whisker larger than the US. From that animation, it looks smaller than the continental US, to say nothing of Alaska.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 03:45 PM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
I had no idea Canada was just a whisker larger than the US. From that animation, it looks smaller than the continental US, to say nothing of Alaska.
Size of the US, population of California.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 04:02 PM   #19
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

and the biome of Siberia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiga
Old 27th May 2019, 05:29 PM   #20
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

"Notes from a small [hee hee] island" ? Loved that book. Actually I loved most of his stuff.
Actually from the sequel, 20 years on, The Road to Little Dribbling. It's not as enjoyable so far. He actually seems proud of having given a minimum-wage McDonalds minion a bad time for an extended period for asking "Do you want fries with that" as required by the management.
Old 3rd June 2019, 05:22 AM   #21
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

There is, of course, an XKCD cartoon just for this thread.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 08:07 AM   #22
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post

Dave
Excellent!
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 08:08 AM   #23
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Actually from the sequel, 20 years on, The Road to Little Dribbling. It's not as enjoyable so far. He actually seems proud of having given a minimum-wage McDonalds minion a bad time for an extended period for asking "Do you want fries with that" as required by the management.
I enjoyed it, although he does seem to be somewhat grumpy in this book. I guess we all get more grumpy with age...
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 08:09 AM   #24
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Size of the US, population of California.
With virtually none of them in the big area in the middle...
Old 3rd June 2019, 08:47 AM   #25
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I enjoyed it, although he does seem to be somewhat grumpy in this book. I guess we all get more grumpy with age...
Doc Martin's Revenge!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 04:02 PM   #26
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

"Yeah, but you can't do that."
"Why not?"
"Because it's freaking me out!"

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 06:05 PM   #27
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post

Dave
"A globe: You are very clever."

Originally Posted by wollery View Post
"Why not?"

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
That's great!

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 3rd June 2019 at 06:12 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 06:54 PM   #28
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wollery View Post
"Why not?"

I AGREE
I almost asked for someone to dig up that clip a few days ago, but even thumb typing this on my tiny phone is a bear.
So... thank you.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 11:03 PM   #29
Chris Haynes
Perfectly Poisonous Person

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
"A globe: You are very clever."

This is why I still keep the National Geographic globe my parents gave us when our kids were little. While it is woefully out of date as far as political borders, the land masses pretty much stay the same.

It lives next to my argument laptop (this one ). But both have been moved since their home is having its floor redone. Though the globe looks fetching with a jaunty straw hat in its temporary location.

"HCN, I hate you!"
( so sayeth Deetee at http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?p=1077344 )...
What I get for linking to http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/
Chris Haynes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 11:58 PM   #30
This is The End

There is only one area accurate 2D world map:

http://www.authagraph.com/projects/d...%8B01/?lang=en

The idea of how to create it was first described by by Japanese architect Hajime Narukawa in 1999. The map is made by equally dividing a spherical surface into 96 triangles, transferring it to a tetrahedron while maintaining area proportions, and unfolding it onto a rectangle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AuthaGraph_projection

Last edited by This is The End; 5th June 2019 at 12:08 AM.
This is The End is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 12:04 AM   #31
This is The End

It can also be mapped to a triangle or parallelogram, not just rectangles. (On their homepage (first link) make note of the blue triangle version on Tab 4.)

In other words, cutting countries into different sides of the map can give other benefits, not least of which being able to choose any location as the map center.

Quote:
From this map-tiling, a new world map with triangular, rectangular or a parallelogram's outline can be framed with various regions at its center. This tessellation allows for depicting temporal themes, such as a satellite's long-term movement around the earth in a continuous line.
Old 5th June 2019, 12:04 AM   #32
GlennB

I once had a nice globe with a bulb in the middle to illuminate it. I replaced the bulb with the wrong type and melted a large part of Canada and Alaska
Old 5th June 2019, 12:41 AM   #33
Mr Clingford
Graduate Poster

I once had a nice globe with a bulb in the middle to illuminate it. I replaced the bulb with the wrong type and melted a large part of Canada and Alaska
With the northern latitudes heating the most under global warming, what did you expect?

But we crashed into a mountain and I had to eat him.
Mr Clingford is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 09:23 AM   #34
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post

http://www.authagraph.com/projects/d...%8B01/?lang=en

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=12159

The idea of how to create it was first described by by Japanese architect Hajime Narukawa in 1999. The map is made by equally dividing a spherical surface into 96 triangles, transferring it to a tetrahedron while maintaining area proportions, and unfolding it onto a rectangle.

The western part of Australia looks really distorted.
Old 5th June 2019, 09:49 AM   #35
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post

I don't want your Authagraph!

I AGREE
Old 5th June 2019, 09:55 AM   #36
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
This is why I still keep the National Geographic globe my parents gave us when our kids were little. While it is woefully out of date as far as political borders, the land masses pretty much stay the same.

It lives next to my argument laptop (this one ). But both have been moved since their home is having its floor redone. Though the globe looks fetching with a jaunty straw hat in its temporary location.
Me too! Another hand-me-down globe fan*. Once you go global you'll never go back. 2D Maps are so like watching the movie version of your favorite book. Get real or go home.

*aren't we clever!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology