ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 31st May 2019, 12:37 PM   #81
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Shouldn't only those branches that practise fgm be offended?

And my level of caring at how offended they are is actually trying to go below 0.

It's like saying " I hate white people who burn crosses on people's lawn. " is talking of a specific subset.
Yeah, except it isn't. At all.

Because when you say white people who burn crosses on people's lawns nobody NOBODY takes that to just mean 'white people'.

Playing dumb to context to excuse dogwhistles is a popular rightwing pastime these days it seems.
Old 31st May 2019, 02:46 PM   #82
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Yeah, except it isn't. At all.

Because when you say white people who burn crosses on people's lawns nobody NOBODY takes that to just mean 'white people'.

Playing dumb to context to excuse dogwhistles is a popular rightwing pastime these days it seems.
I understand the concept of "dog whistling" but in this case I don't think it is the case. Cleese is definitely not stupid so I would expect he knows FGM is not an Islamic practice, that you find it in different cultures with different majority religions so he was in fact avoiding the "common" insinuation that Islam is the cause of FGM.
Old 31st May 2019, 02:48 PM   #83
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I understand the concept of "dog whistling" but in this case I don't think it is the case. Cleese is definitely not stupid so I would expect he knows FGM is not an Islamic practice, that you find it in different cultures with different majority religions so he was in fact avoiding the "common" insinuation that Islam is the cause of FGM.
Can you give an example of such culture, please?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2019, 02:53 PM   #84
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Less than 13% of London's population is Muslim, and while around half of them will be women, not all of them wear cover. Hijabs are not uncommon, but I can go months without seeing a niqab, and years without seen an actual burqa.
They tend to congregate in their own communities.

Sitting in a fast food restaurant in Seven Sisters Road Holloway Road end t'other day - the first time in years - I noticed that there were large numbers of scarf/hijab wearing folk going by.

You didn't see that not so long ago.
Old 31st May 2019, 11:54 PM   #85
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I already did at post 20. Didn't you see it?
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 12:16 AM   #86
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Can do better than that, the WHO is a great source to start to learn about FGM, good starting point https://www.who.int/reproductiveheal...prevalence/en/
Old 1st June 2019, 09:08 AM   #87
IsThisTheLife
Thinker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Camden is interesting...it has become London's "Little Mexico" (because the Mexican Embassy is there) and it has given London something it has been lacking..at least on my previsou visits...decent Mexican food.
That's practically an oxymoron. Mexican "cuisine" has to be among the worst in the world. I agree with James May - it all seems to look like sick.

(NB, I said among the worst, so please don't start with the whataboutery.)
Old 1st June 2019, 09:24 AM   #88
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
That's practically an oxymoron. Mexican "cuisine" has to be among the worst in the world. I agree with James May - it all seems to look like sick.

(NB, I said among the worst, so please don't start with the whataboutery.)
It's good in England. When I went to a real Mexican restaurant in Tennessee it was horrible.
Old 1st June 2019, 09:30 AM   #89
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I'm not sure I buy Cleese's claim he was talking about 'culture', not 'race'. After all there was a mass genocide by Nazi Germany of Jews and Gypsies, both of which are cultural identities rather than racial, likewise Muslim (for example Serbian and Turkish Muslims look very different from Pakistani or African Muslims).

Cleese is not stupid but he is a crashing bore. I always found him unbearable and rarely funny. The funny guys were Eric Idle and Michael Palin (Monty Python) and Manuel and the Irish guy (Fawlty Towers). His film 'Clockwise' is eyelid closingly boring and his books about families turgid and unreadable. His funny walks are an insult to the disabled who really cannot walk 'properly'.

No, I never did like John Cleese.
Old 1st June 2019, 12:06 PM   #90
IsThisTheLife
Thinker

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
It's good in England. When I went to a real Mexican restaurant in Tennessee it was horrible.
Er, I'm a Brit, a Londoner originally, last lived there 1998-2008, W2 and TW9. No-one under the age of about 80 endured the 'bad old days' of restaurant food in England. I find myself perplexed by anyone pondering what kind of food they fancy on a night out in London deciding 'a Mexican' is the way to go. I mean, really?

Last edited by IsThisTheLife; 1st June 2019 at 12:10 PM.
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 12:15 PM   #91
ThatGuy11200
Thinker

Er, I'm a Brit, a Londoner originally, last lived there 1998-2008, W2 and TW9. No-one under the age of about 80 endured the 'bad old days' of restaurant food in England. I find myself perplexed by anyone pondering what kind of food they fancy on a night out in London deciding 'a Mexican' is the way to go. I mean, really?
Why not?
ThatGuy11200 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 01:04 PM   #92
Retrograde
Muse

That's your problem - you were expecting a Mexican restaurant in Tennessee to serve something other than mediocre Tex-Mex .

Mexico's a big and varied place, as is the food. Take a look at some of the food described in Diana Kennedy's books and you'll see things a long way from bland refried beans and tacos in fried shells. Kind of ironic for someone from England (May referenced in a previous post): I remember English food in the 1980s - it was perfectly good as long as you didn't let it near a kitchen. Things started to change in the 90s, but I remember ordering the lasagna and salad lunch special at a pub in Cambridge that turned out to be lasagna with macaroni salad - and a side of chips. Getting back on topic, the influx of immigrants Cleese objects to helped bring new qualities to British cooking, for the better IMHO.

Last edited by Retrograde; 1st June 2019 at 01:05 PM.
Retrograde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 02:24 PM   #93
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
He moved to st.Kitts and Nevis due to the "awful Brexit debate", "lying right-wing governments" and such. The country is almost 99% black. He backed Leave, but he also backed electoral and press reform, which were shot down, in his own words "by right-wing governments".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...l-brexit-vote/

“Relationships between the races is absolutely superb, the people there are really kind. The children and adults are extraordinarily well educated and the weather is good."

He backed Leave, because:
“I don’t want to be ruled by Brussels bureaucrats who want to create a super state. I was pro-Brexit for that reason.

https://www.screendaily.com/news/joh...120947.article

The Monty Python and Fawlty Towers star admitted that “it will be five years before we know if it was a good thing or a bad thing, or if it will be a hard of soft exit”, but added that he supported the possibility of the latter option.

Does that seem like someone greatly concerned about the evil immigrants to you? I think we're making judgments a bit too quickly about what the tweet is supposed to mean. I think he's not concerned about immigration in general but about Muslims in particular:

I think it's legitimate to prefer one culture to another

For example, I prefer cultures that do not tolerate female genital mutilation.*

Will this will be considered racist by all those who hover, eagerly hoping that someone will offend them - on someone else's behalf, naturally

McHrozni
* I support genital mutilation of every male who wishes to do/support female genital mutilation. I am thinking cutting the one part and using a hammer on the other two.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 02:30 PM   #94
fuelair
Banned

Where in Tennessee? I ask as I learned to love Mexican food in Nashville where I mostly grew up and learned to make it properly due to that and a built up collection of Mexican cookbooks....
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 02:34 PM   #95
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
That's your problem - you were expecting a Mexican restaurant in Tennessee to serve something other than mediocre Tex-Mex .

Mexico's a big and varied place, as is the food. Take a look at some of the food described in Diana Kennedy's books and you'll see things a long way from bland refried beans and tacos in fried shells. Kind of ironic for someone from England (May referenced in a previous post): I remember English food in the 1980s - it was perfectly good as long as you didn't let it near a kitchen. Things started to change in the 90s, but I remember ordering the lasagna and salad lunch special at a pub in Cambridge that turned out to be lasagna with macaroni salad - and a side of chips. Getting back on topic, the influx of immigrants Cleese objects to helped bring new qualities to British cooking, for the better IMHO.
Diane K's books are all in my collection and the Cuisines one was the first I ran into!!!!
Old 1st June 2019, 02:41 PM   #96
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post

I can't remember the restaurants, but there were two in Nashville that were quite good and NOT Tex-Mex though I am fine with good Tex-Mex also!!!In a
restaurant in Arizona (Tuscon IIRC) that had supposedly won Terlingua - and it was badly spiced. (Bitter mostly) I asked for sugar or honey and added a bit of honey they brought to the table, added a little more and the bitterness vanished. I am serious about Mexican /T-M food.

Last edited by fuelair; 1st June 2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 1st June 2019, 02:42 PM   #97
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

...er...<fx sticks head above parapet> me..?

Really.
Old 1st June 2019, 02:49 PM   #98
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Where in Tennessee? I ask as I learned to love Mexican food in Nashville where I mostly grew up and learned to make it properly due to that and a built up collection of Mexican cookbooks....
It was in Nashville but I have no idea where. I asked my TN friend to take me to a Mexican restaurant. Now I know why she looked a bit bemused.

The place was shabby 1980's style red upholstered seats pinned to the floor so you have to slide in to sit at the table. A lot of macho Mexican guys standing around at the kitchen area (not even handsome but pot-bellied). We were the only customers there. After our meal I was really embarrassed that my host thought I liked 'slumming' it.

In London - at least around Covent Garden and Leicester Sq - Mexican restaurants are posh.

I did have a lovely Mexican-American boyfriend from afar once who brought me some mole from Guadlajuara (_sp?) which was truly delicious. Great cooking condiment. Have never been able to find decent mole in London.

Last edited by Vixen; 1st June 2019 at 02:50 PM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 02:52 PM   #99
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Anyway, I am sure John Cleese wasn't thinking of Mexicans, who have a rather glamorous image here, as do all South Americans.
Old 1st June 2019, 05:27 PM   #100
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
I assume he never lived in or visited the east end (and surrounds).
That's had various non-English groups landing there for centuries.

Isn't that generally true of the whole country?
Old 1st June 2019, 05:28 PM   #101
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The Museum Of London (superb museum BTW) makes the point that London has always been a city of immigrants just as much as New York City is and has always a large "foreign" population.

New Amsterdam just hasn't been the same since all those English came flooding in.

Last edited by quadraginta; 1st June 2019 at 05:31 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 05:30 PM   #102
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

It was also probably not a "real" Mexican restaurant

Aside from not being in Mexico, that is.
Old 1st June 2019, 06:44 PM   #103
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Bloody immigrants. Send then all back to Saxony. And Jutland. And Normandy. Etc.
Bloody Romans,
coming over here, to our lands and building roads.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 09:21 PM   #104
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
It was also probably not a "real" Mexican restaurant

Aside from not being in Mexico, that is.
Very true - but fortunately I am quite certain I never went to it!!!!!
Old 2nd June 2019, 09:08 AM   #105
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Bloody Romans,
coming over here, to our lands and building roads.
Straight roads when what we liked were the meandering ones what followed rivers. That A1 road has been a pain in the backside ever since, especially when trying to turn off onto the M1 at Colindale. Bloody foreigners, couldn't leave nuffink alone. Making people emigrate to St Nevis and St Kitts, the scumbags.
Old 2nd June 2019, 09:30 AM   #106
Francesca R
Girl

I may not be English but I am a Londoner--Romans didn't build what's the A1 in London, it's also not particularly straight around M1J2 ("Fiveways Corner"), which is technically in Hendon I think. I rarely drive but I've never had an issue joining the motorway from there.

They did build the A5 ("Edgware Road") though, which is straight, and passes close to the start of the M1 ("Staples Corner"). I like the A5 because it's more of a walking road than a driving road, at least south of Cricklewood it is. It's got more "street life".

The Romans built the A10 as well which is straight and goes due north from London Bridge. That's a good one too, until just after Tottenham then it gets a bit more mediocre. I think Dalston was as trendy in Caesar's day as it is now.

OK carry on now . . . .
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 09:36 AM   #107
Carlotta
Thinker

https://www.google.com/search?q=lond...6e-qnUoWPZ41-M
Just look at all the head scarves!!!! This has been going on far longer than we thought!!11!!!
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 01:02 AM   #108
Tolls
Illuminator

They tend to congregate in their own communities.

Sitting in a fast food restaurant in Seven Sisters Road Holloway Road end t'other day - the first time in years - I noticed that there were large numbers of scarf/hijab wearing folk going by.

You didn't see that not so long ago.
How much of that is, for want of a better term, a fashion trend?

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Isn't that generally true of the whole country?
Well, yes, but the East End has been a fairly constant stream of various groups for 300 hundred years, rather than a case of "invaders!!" every so often.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 05:00 PM   #109
IsThisTheLife
Thinker

Well, the numbers of vacuous, virtue-signalling twats "expected" to rock up in in central London tomorrow and **** up everyone else's day depends on who's **** it's pulled from. But I guess there are enough of these jobless ne're-do-wells with literally nothing better to do and zero capacity for independent thought to swell the numbers for the same media organs that form their "opinions" for them.
Old 3rd June 2019, 06:58 PM   #110
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

The genetic and cultural inheritance of thousands of years thrown away, safety and cohesion destroyed forever - but hey, we had tacos and curry!
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 08:10 PM   #111
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
The genetic and cultural inheritance of thousands of years thrown away, safety and cohesion destroyed forever - but hey, we had tacos and curry!
There would be a Tiktaalik grumbling somewhere about their genetic and cultural legacy being squandered on Nazis.
Old 3rd June 2019, 08:15 PM   #112
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
No diddly o! Baylor tells us that Camden is a "no go" area controlled by Muslims!
Well that is just complete bollocks isn't it old chap.

Camden Demographics (as of mid-2017)
Population 253,400
Density 30,000/sq mi (12,000/km2)
Ethnicity
44% White British
3.2% White Irish
0.1% White Gypsy or Irish Traveller
19% Other White

1.1% White & Black Caribbean
0.8% White & Black African
1.8% White & Asian
1.9% Other Mixed
2.8% Indian
0.7% Pakistani
5.7% Bangladeshi

2.9% Chinese
4% Other Asian
4.9% Black African
1.6% Black Caribbean
1.7% Other Black
1.6% Arab
2.3% Other
So
67.2% White
6.4% "maybe" Muslim

As usual, Baylor is full of crap!
Old 3rd June 2019, 10:42 PM   #113
Francesca R
Girl

What area is that? Camden the borough takes in Hampstead Heath to Holborn, I'm surprised its population isn't larger than that (but most of the time it will be). Camden proper a lot smaller not even all of NW1.

Anyway that survey forgot "35% tourists who have been told the market's good"

Last edited by Francesca R; 3rd June 2019 at 10:50 PM.
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 12:54 AM   #114
Matthew Best
Philosopher

That is the London Borough of Camden.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 01:11 AM   #115
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

My mistake. Baylor originally linked to a map that listed Camden Town as a no-go area.
Old 4th June 2019, 01:16 AM   #116
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Yes, London's fourth largest tourist attraction is definitely a no-go area.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 01:31 AM   #117
Francesca R
Girl

Well Donald Trump is staying not much more than a mile away, could be no go.
Old 4th June 2019, 01:54 AM   #118
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
My mistake. Baylor originally linked to a map that listed Camden Town as a no-go area.
No, you haven't made a mistake at all

"Camden Town, often shortened to Camden (also the name for the borough it is in), is a district of northwest London, England, 2.5 miles (4.1 km) north of Charing Cross"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camden_Town

Some of the English side of my family live in Primrose Hill and Chalk Farm which is to the NW of Camden Town...Primrose Hill is in the the same borough as Camden Town. I visited them a couple of years back.... I saw very few people of obvious sub-continental ethnicity there.

All this just goes to confirm my earlier assertion that Baylor is full of crap. He has no utterly idea what he is talking about.

Last edited by smartcooky; 4th June 2019 at 01:56 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 01:55 AM   #119
Lothian
should be banned

Can I just say it is cruel taking the piss out of comments by the mentally sub normal.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 02:02 AM   #120
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
No, you haven't made a mistake at all

"Camden Town, often shortened to Camden (also the name for the borough it is in), is a district of northwest London, England, 2.5 miles (4.1 km) north of Charing Cross"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camden_Town

Some of the English side of my family live in Primrose Hill and Chalk Farm which is to the NW of Camden Town...Primrose Hill is in the the same borough as Camden Town. I visited them a couple of years back.... I saw very few people of obvious sub-continental ethnicity there.

All this just goes to confirm my earlier assertion that Baylor is full of crap. He has no utterly idea what he is talking about.
Camden Town is within the London Borough of Camden, but it's not the same thing. That's what GlennB was saying.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events