ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags euthanasia , euthanasia incidents , euthanasia issues , Netherland incidents , Netherland issues

Reply
Old 7th June 2019, 09:19 AM   #321
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges
 
isissxn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Deep Storage
Posts: 5,622
Boy, the idea of extending it to psychiatric distress really gives me a cold feeling inside. It may very well be irrational. But I don't know...

I'm not religious. I know life only has the meaning you give it. But still... Aren't we kind of giving up on human value if doctors are giving people lethal overdoses and stuff because they're distressed? Not because they're terminal, but because they're in mental agony? It just seems different somehow.

Yes, we're all terminal on a long enough timeline. Yes, quality of life is impacted just as much by constant mental pain as constant physical pain. But outside of a diagnosed terminal illness situation, I feel like euthanasia is giving up on hope. Is hope woo?
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 09:49 AM   #322
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,605
Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Boy, the idea of extending it to psychiatric distress really gives me a cold feeling inside. It may very well be irrational. But I don't know...

I'm not religious. I know life only has the meaning you give it. But still... Aren't we kind of giving up on human value if doctors are giving people lethal overdoses and stuff because they're distressed? Not because they're terminal, but because they're in mental agony? It just seems different somehow.

Yes, we're all terminal on a long enough timeline. Yes, quality of life is impacted just as much by constant mental pain as constant physical pain. But outside of a diagnosed terminal illness situation, I feel like euthanasia is giving up on hope. Is hope woo?
I think it has to be decided by the individual. I'd absolutely get behind efforts to criminalize encouragement of suicide, and everyone should have access to both physical and mental health care. But when nothing is working, I think we, individually and as a society, need to be able to remove ourselves from the process.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 09:55 AM   #323
Eddie Dane
Philosopher
 
Eddie Dane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,600
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
First there is the issue of the Hippocratic oath. Is it fair to ask doctors to end life instead of trying to heal people?

Secondly, end of life care for illnesses like cancer is much improved. Pain control is at its best these days. Terminal cancer sufferers and their loved ones are grateful for any extra time together.
It's actually pretty hard on the doctors.

I saw a news item about this.

Patients often see assisted suicide as a 'service' that they can expect from their GP as their illness becomes critical. But many have great trouble performing or assisting such a procedure.
__________________
Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 09:58 AM   #324
Eddie Dane
Philosopher
 
Eddie Dane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,600
Originally Posted by Shadowdweller View Post
Helped take care of one of those as well, once. Did not improve the gentleman's standard of living Even with face blown off, he wasn't evidently interested in repeating the matter.
Remember the series Band Of Brothers? I researched the real people in that story. The (real life) Jewish drill instructor went on to become an accountant in NY. He struggled with depression and decided to shoot himself. Blew out his optical nerves with a .22 to the side of the head and spend the remaining 17 years of his life blind in an institution.

That story always stuck with me.
__________________
Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 10:01 AM   #325
Eddie Dane
Philosopher
 
Eddie Dane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,600
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I love this thread! We went from expressing emotions over something that didn't happen to mindreading the dead and speculating what various others were thinking after reading hearsay anecdotes. The scanter the material the stronger the opinion!
I'm just glad to finally have found a website that caters to my kinks.
__________________
Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 11:41 AM   #326
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,175
Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
I'm stuck on this idea of tying yourself to a tree then setting fire to yourself?
That's terrible.

Apart from the physical complications, you are taking away the choice of your future self to change their mind once they start burning.
That seems to be more than suicide to me.
What strikes me about kayle's description is someone who can't take any more pain then killing themselves in what might be the most painful way possible.

I know of someone who did it that way in front of their kids. (Well, not the tree part.) Yeah, something else going on there IMO.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 09:42 AM   #327
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,363
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
There are more than a few serious suicide attempts where the person survives. It's a myth people are all just calling for help.

We had a patient in the first hospital I worked at that blew his face off because he aimed the gun under his chin and angled it wrong. I've seen two other persons in the news who survived similar suicide attempts, one who was glad she survived even though she went from very beautiful to quite disfigured.

But of course there are non-serious attempts that fall in a different category.

If you question the studies you should address the studies, not throw your personal opinion out there about the study populations you imagine they used.

Pointing out that these are people who chose a public place well known for suicide attempts and didn't actually jump is addressing the study. If that isn't the study population they used then fine but I took it from your description rather than 'my imagination'. Seriously why bother if you're going to get your nose out of joint if anyone attempts to discuss it?
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 09:58 AM   #328
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,363
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It ain't hard (speaking purely on a mechanical level) to kill yourself. It isn't something you're going to mess up if you're actually serious about doing it. You seem to think I'm treating suicide attempts as a way of "asking for help" as something to be ashamed of or to look down on people for and I'm not, but it does factor into how we conceptualize it when talking about assisted suicide.

I don't think that first sentence is necessarily correct, certainly enough people fail, but i agree on the larger point. In this instance (based on SG's description of the study) we're talking about people who have chosen a situation where intervention is likely, and indeed who have been successfully talked down once. This is a fair degree of self selection.

I have personal experience of finding myself, at a very bad time, crossing a railway bridge and thinking "If I got up there and threatened to jump someone would listen to me and help me", I didn't do it, I had no intention of actually jumping, and the thought shocked me enough to make me change my situation, but I can completely understand someone doing it. Like you I am in no way minimising the pain or desperation of someone in this situation.

ETA: Not suggesting that everyone who is talked down fits into that category, just giving an example.
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills

Last edited by P.J. Denyer; 9th June 2019 at 10:42 AM.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 11:27 AM   #329
Cainkane1
Philosopher
 
Cainkane1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The great American southeast
Posts: 8,564
Originally Posted by kayle View Post
"it was the wrong decision" -- by whom and how do you know?

so someone just should have told her: suffer some more years and you will feel better and forget everything?

and it's not as if teenage suicides is something uncommon so why this upsets some here so much.
It upsets me because there are many other things that could have been done for her. Psychotherapy and that sort of thing. Time would have gone by and while she would never forget what happened to her it would have gotten better with time.

What upsets me about this suicide over other teens killing themselves is that this very young girl had adults help her do it as if suicide was always the proper way to deal with bad things happening to them.

I see a big difference between her suffering and the suffering of older men and women with painful terminal illnesses. She was not hurting physically and anxiety and depression can be controlled medically.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed try try again. Then if you fail to succeed to Hell with that. Try something else.
Cainkane1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 11:32 AM   #330
Chanakya

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,145
Perhaps we could compromise, kind of, by thinking of euthanasia via some gradual process (drugs, and/or withholding nutrients, or whatever) that stretches over a fairly long period, a week perhaps, or two, perhaps even a month, over which the patient remains conscious and lucid and fully aware of their impending extinction. If they still show no signs of changing their mind, nor even of the slightest doubt, through that slow gradual conscious approach toward death, well then ...
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 12:42 PM   #331
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,759
Originally Posted by kayle View Post
take a ton of salt if you like and stuff it up somewhere in the middle of your backside. he really ***** did it. do you think I am kidding with smth like that?
It is not unheard-of for murders to be initially ruled suicides, or even accidents. It's not unheard-of for murders to be staged to look like suicides or accidents.
For someone to be found tied to a tree and burned alive sounds like a lynching. I'd like to know some details, like where it happened, who was the victim, who investigated, etc.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 01:13 PM   #332
cosmicaug
Muse
 
cosmicaug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 996
Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
It upsets me because there are many other things that could have been done for her. Psychotherapy and that sort of thing. Time would have gone by and while she would never forget what happened to her it would have gotten better with time.

What upsets me about this suicide over other teens killing themselves is that this very young girl had adults help her do it as if suicide was always the proper way to deal with bad things happening to them.

I see a big difference between her suffering and the suffering of older men and women with painful terminal illnesses. She was not hurting physically and anxiety and depression can be controlled medically.
You've missed the posts explaining that the story as initially portrayed in English language media is wrong.

I think we could argue that "psychotherapy and that sort of thing" failed her (she's dead, after all) but not because it had not been tried. The account translated in a Reddit thread referenced from one of the posts here paints a picture of someone having gone through that many times. It also mentions instances of being force fed her against her will including one time when they induced a comma in order to do this.

Ultimately, she again chose to refuse water and food and what adults did is respect her refusal of treatment. This is not an actively assisted suicide as various media outlets reported. It's still tragic, obviously, but it is not that.
__________________
--
August Pamplona
cosmicaug is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 01:18 PM   #333
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire
 
bluesjnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Not where I should be.
Posts: 6,166
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
It is not unheard-of for murders to be initially ruled suicides, or even accidents. It's not unheard-of for murders to be staged to look like suicides or accidents.
For someone to be found tied to a tree and burned alive sounds like a lynching. I'd like to know some details, like where it happened, who was the victim, who investigated, etc.
Don't hold your breath.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 01:24 PM   #334
p0lka
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,471
meh double post please ignore.

Last edited by p0lka; 9th June 2019 at 01:28 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 01:27 PM   #335
p0lka
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,471
Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Don't hold your breath.
Unless you are tied to a tree, in which case you should, when you exhale it might give you some extra wriggle room
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 02:38 PM   #336
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Moomin Valley
Posts: 15,439
Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
You've missed the posts explaining that the story as initially portrayed in English language media is wrong.

I think we could argue that "psychotherapy and that sort of thing" failed her (she's dead, after all) but not because it had not been tried. The account translated in a Reddit thread referenced from one of the posts here paints a picture of someone having gone through that many times. It also mentions instances of being force fed her against her will including one time when they induced a comma in order to do this.

Ultimately, she again chose to refuse water and food and what adults did is respect her refusal of treatment. This is not an actively assisted suicide as various media outlets reported. It's still tragic, obviously, but it is not that.

Sadly, there are those who are so determined to die, absolutely nothing will stop them.
__________________
If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty. ~ Japanese Proverb
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 04:35 PM   #337
deadrose
Illuminator
 
deadrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: the wet side of the mountains
Posts: 3,096
I can sort of understand the not trying to stop her any more. Sort of. Before my mother successfully killed herself (many years ago), she had tried so many times. She'd been considered mentally unstable enough to get a legal abortion in the early 60's, and had been hospitalized for "exhaustion" more than once.

By the time we reached our teens, her mental state was getting worse, and the attempts were more frequent. She refused all mental health care and self-medicated with alcohol and drugs that she diverted from my dad's medical practice.

You can't comprehend what it's like to live with that, unless you've experienced it. Every attempt at inviting a friend over requires carefully judging her mood. Every phone call when you're away from home puts your heart in your throat. You know that sooner or later, she's going to get the dosage right, or someone won't come by unexpectedly. Every day you live with the grinding misery that you can't help. You can't make them feel better, and either nothing else has made them feel better, or they've refused everything. You know that no matter how much you love them, and no matter how much you try, all they want to do is die.

And then, in my case, one day the phone rang. The dreadful anticipation was over.

You can't make someone want to live. Her parents had lived with years of seeing their beloved child want nothing but death. Nothing they tried had worked. They were at least lucky to be in a place where mental health care is decently covered instead of having annual and lifetime caps on what little care they allow. But none of it was enough to heal her.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 05:28 PM   #338
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher
 
Archie Gemmill Goal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,890
Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
I can sort of understand the not trying to stop her any more. Sort of. Before my mother successfully killed herself (many years ago), she had tried so many times. She'd been considered mentally unstable enough to get a legal abortion in the early 60's, and had been hospitalized for "exhaustion" more than once.

By the time we reached our teens, her mental state was getting worse, and the attempts were more frequent. She refused all mental health care and self-medicated with alcohol and drugs that she diverted from my dad's medical practice.

You can't comprehend what it's like to live with that, unless you've experienced it. Every attempt at inviting a friend over requires carefully judging her mood. Every phone call when you're away from home puts your heart in your throat. You know that sooner or later, she's going to get the dosage right, or someone won't come by unexpectedly. Every day you live with the grinding misery that you can't help. You can't make them feel better, and either nothing else has made them feel better, or they've refused everything. You know that no matter how much you love them, and no matter how much you try, all they want to do is die.

And then, in my case, one day the phone rang. The dreadful anticipation was over.

You can't make someone want to live. Her parents had lived with years of seeing their beloved child want nothing but death. Nothing they tried had worked. They were at least lucky to be in a place where mental health care is decently covered instead of having annual and lifetime caps on what little care they allow. But none of it was enough to heal her.
This is so tragically true that it is almost sad it needs saying. Thank You.
__________________
"I love sex and drugs and sausage rolls
But nothing compares to Archie Gemmill's goal"
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 08:03 PM   #339
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges
 
isissxn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Deep Storage
Posts: 5,622
Okay, fine, I was wrong.

Jeez, I never thought I'd feel like a dick for being against teen suicide.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 08:47 PM   #340
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,759
Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
.....
You can't make someone want to live. Her parents had lived with years of seeing their beloved child want nothing but death. Nothing they tried had worked. They were at least lucky to be in a place where mental health care is decently covered instead of having annual and lifetime caps on what little care they allow. But none of it was enough to heal her.
We actually don't know anything about the family dynamics. It's at least possible that their idea of "love" contributed to her illness. A lot of children endure horrible experiences without demanding that they be allowed to die. If the parents were prepared to let her kill herself, it might well be that the appropriate government agency should have taken over her care and treatment.

Last edited by Bob001; 9th June 2019 at 09:00 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 09:52 PM   #341
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,125
Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Okay, fine, I was wrong.

Jeez, I never thought I'd feel like a dick for being against teen suicide.

You shouldn't feel bad. I don't think anyone should ever be in favor of suicide. We should be in favor of better prevention of violence, better treatments for trauma, better long-term mental health care, etc.
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 06:42 AM   #342
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 46,401
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
A glucose drip in the arm is hardly 'force feeding' in the older sense of brutally forcing tubes down to the stomach.
Is that enough to constitute actual feeding her enough for her to gain the weight back and you still need the restraints to prevent removal of the glucose drip. So holding her down for the IV vs the NG tube isn't all that different.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 06:47 AM   #343
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 46,401
Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Boy, the idea of extending it to psychiatric distress really gives me a cold feeling inside. It may very well be irrational. But I don't know...
And categorically setting it aside seems to also devalue the suffering of those experiencing it. It only applies to real suffering so chronic nerve pain might be a reason for euthanasia even for non terminal causes but chronic psychiatric pain doesn't cut it.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 06:51 AM   #344
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 46,401
Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Okay, fine, I was wrong.

Jeez, I never thought I'd feel like a dick for being against teen suicide.
No one is for it, but there might well have been no happy outcomes in this case, and so you have to just try to find the least awful one. And maybe suicide is less awful than the alternatives.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 10:00 AM   #345
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,369
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
No one is for it, but there might well have been no happy outcomes in this case, and so you have to just try to find the least awful one. And maybe suicide is less awful than the alternatives.
^this

I'm dutch and I have witnessed the actual process for one of my family members.
I remember the care, compassion and enormous amounts of checks and balances he received before the actual euthanasia.
And this was for someone who had a brain tumor that was growing so fast that by the end he was having a stroke nearly every two weeks, with each stroke taking about 10% of his capabilities.
Even at the last moment he was still asked if he really wanted this.

So to assume a teenager would NOT have had the best health and mental care we can provide can is wrong.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 10:34 AM   #346
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 46,401
Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
^this

I'm dutch and I have witnessed the actual process for one of my family members.
I remember the care, compassion and enormous amounts of checks and balances he received before the actual euthanasia.
And this was for someone who had a brain tumor that was growing so fast that by the end he was having a stroke nearly every two weeks, with each stroke taking about 10% of his capabilities.
Even at the last moment he was still asked if he really wanted this.

So to assume a teenager would NOT have had the best health and mental care we can provide can is wrong.
Well except that this wasn't euthanasia but rather death from anorexia.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 12:38 PM   #347
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15,562
I have a serious disease that will probably kill me sometime before my 10 year USA Treasury notes come due. Several of the ways it can kill me can be quite drawn-out and painful. Therefore I get quite angry when others, snug and smug in their current lives, assemble lists of “acceptable” versus unacceptable justifications for euthanasia. Just how much suffering do these other people believe that I should go through during the end stages of my disease before I can legitimately seek euthanasia/physician assisted suicide? Would uremic poisoning be a valid reason? Or perhaps intense bone pain? What if the intense bone pain could be controlled 90% of the day by pain medication, but only by placing me in a mental fog such that I cannot communicate with my family? What if the intense bone pain could only be controlled 50% of the day, or never fully? Would it be okay if I was to die by the disease alone in a month or so, but not if the euthanasia would advance my death by a year?

These will be hard choices for me to make when and if I have to, but what business is it of others? Why does anyone else have a right to impose their own moral codes on me in this, the most fundamental decision anyone can make? Especially given that most of these moral codes are drafted in the security of reasonable health; I have no doubt that an individual’s moral codes on euthanasia may change quite a bit when they are covered in sweat and screaming in pain in the grip of a hopeless disease.

Certainly there are enormous complexities as to euthanasia and suicide. People “of sound mind” can and do change their minds. Emotional or mental disorders can be improved or cured; apparently rapidly progressively lethal physical diseases can go into remission. Pain can be reduced, although not always adequately.

I am not advocating medically assisted suicide on the basis of a single unsupported patient request (none of the current schemes allow this anyway – most are very cautious and require multiple requirements be documented). But I do urge enormous humbleness and deep caution whenever assembling a list of acceptable versus unacceptable criteria for euthanasia/medically assisted suicide. Yes, there are limits that society needs to impose. But always we must remember that we are imposing these moral exercises on many people who are in extremis. We must always be careful that we are not imposing our own religious views on others. Or minimizing the terrors of people facing real horrors and pains that we only hope we ourselves will never encounter. We are not in their situation, and they have more right to judge than we do.

Just to re-assure: it is extraordinarily unlikely I would ever choose suicide, physician assisted or not. But having that ultimate option available is very important to me psychologically and will make it easier for me to suffer the worse parts. Be very cautious in proposing to decide for me whether and when I can or cannot.

Last edited by Giordano; 10th June 2019 at 12:40 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 01:05 PM   #348
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,125
Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I have a serious disease that will probably kill me sometime before my 10 year USA Treasury notes come due. Several of the ways it can kill me can be quite drawn-out and painful. Therefore I get quite angry when others, snug and smug in their current lives, assemble lists of “acceptable” versus unacceptable justifications for euthanasia. Just how much suffering do these other people believe that I should go through during the end stages of my disease before I can legitimately seek euthanasia/physician assisted suicide? Would uremic poisoning be a valid reason? Or perhaps intense bone pain? What if the intense bone pain could be controlled 90% of the day by pain medication, but only by placing me in a mental fog such that I cannot communicate with my family? What if the intense bone pain could only be controlled 50% of the day, or never fully? Would it be okay if I was to die by the disease alone in a month or so, but not if the euthanasia would advance my death by a year?

These will be hard choices for me to make when and if I have to, but what business is it of others? Why does anyone else have a right to impose their own moral codes on me in this, the most fundamental decision anyone can make? Especially given that most of these moral codes are drafted in the security of reasonable health; I have no doubt that an individual’s moral codes on euthanasia may change quite a bit when they are covered in sweat and screaming in pain in the grip of a hopeless disease.

Certainly there are enormous complexities as to euthanasia and suicide. People “of sound mind” can and do change their minds. Emotional or mental disorders can be improved or cured; apparently rapidly progressively lethal physical diseases can go into remission. Pain can be reduced, although not always adequately.

I am not advocating medically assisted suicide on the basis of a single unsupported patient request (none of the current schemes allow this anyway – most are very cautious and require multiple requirements be documented). But I do urge enormous humbleness and deep caution whenever assembling a list of acceptable versus unacceptable criteria for euthanasia/medically assisted suicide. Yes, there are limits that society needs to impose. But always we must remember that we are imposing these moral exercises on many people who are in extremis. We must always be careful that we are not imposing our own religious views on others. Or minimizing the terrors of people facing real horrors and pains that we only hope we ourselves will never encounter. We are not in their situation, and they have more right to judge than we do.

Just to re-assure: it is extraordinarily unlikely I would ever choose suicide, physician assisted or not. But having that ultimate option available is very important to me psychologically and will make it easier for me to suffer the worse parts. Be very cautious in proposing to decide for me whether and when I can or cannot.
I fully agree you should be able to make your own choices about the end of your life, in light of your terminal illness.

But, I'm still opposed to laws allowing euthanasia because in real life it's impossible to prevent them from being abused. Punishing someone after the fact for euthanizing someone who did not want to go isn't good enough for me; I believe we need to do everything we can to prevent the damage from happening in the first place.

We already have enough problems here in the USA with people -including members of this very forum- dying because they cannot afford proper medical care. I think adding euthanasia to a list of options for anyone will remove any existing incentive to continue providing expensive care to those who are terminal, but willing to face whatever Mother Nature has in store.
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 01:30 PM   #349
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,369
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Well except that this wasn't euthanasia but rather death from anorexia.
I know, but a number of posters are claiming that 'more care' should have been given. I'm positing that the girl was given the best care available, but in this case it just did not help.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 02:33 PM   #350
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,759
Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
I know, but a number of posters are claiming that 'more care' should have been given. I'm positing that the girl was given the best care available, but in this case it just did not help.

We'd all like to believe that she got the best care, but we don't actually know, and we don't actually know about the relationship between the girl and her parents. Choosing to starve herself to death is evidence of a severe psychiatric disorder, not a rational decision.

And her mom doesn't think she got the best care:
Quote:
Her mother, Lisette, said she hoped that going public with the story would help find a solution, complaining that there is not a single closed institution in the Netherlands where Noa’s needs, both psychological and physical, would really be cared for. The young girl was repeatedly put on waiting lists. She was prepared to try anything, including electroshock treatment, which was ultimately refused according to one source.
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/du...rself-to-death

And there's this:
Quote:
In fact, according to the official guidelines of the KNMG (the Royal Physicians’ Association of the Netherlands), “conscious refraining from food and drink” in order to hasten death (or in the case of Noa, to cause it speedily and outright) is “explicitly discouraged” under 60 years of age when the patient is not suffering from a “terminal illness.”
[same link]

So her mom wasn't satisfied with her care, and the shrinks say she was too young to choose her course. And yet it happened.

Last edited by Bob001; 10th June 2019 at 02:34 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 02:57 PM   #351
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Moomin Valley
Posts: 15,439
Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
I can sort of understand the not trying to stop her any more. Sort of. Before my mother successfully killed herself (many years ago), she had tried so many times. She'd been considered mentally unstable enough to get a legal abortion in the early 60's, and had been hospitalized for "exhaustion" more than once.

By the time we reached our teens, her mental state was getting worse, and the attempts were more frequent. She refused all mental health care and self-medicated with alcohol and drugs that she diverted from my dad's medical practice.

You can't comprehend what it's like to live with that, unless you've experienced it. Every attempt at inviting a friend over requires carefully judging her mood. Every phone call when you're away from home puts your heart in your throat. You know that sooner or later, she's going to get the dosage right, or someone won't come by unexpectedly. Every day you live with the grinding misery that you can't help. You can't make them feel better, and either nothing else has made them feel better, or they've refused everything. You know that no matter how much you love them, and no matter how much you try, all they want to do is die.

And then, in my case, one day the phone rang. The dreadful anticipation was over.

You can't make someone want to live. Her parents had lived with years of seeing their beloved child want nothing but death. Nothing they tried had worked. They were at least lucky to be in a place where mental health care is decently covered instead of having annual and lifetime caps on what little care they allow. But none of it was enough to heal her.
That is so heart-rending. Sorry to hear that.
__________________
If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty. ~ Japanese Proverb
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 03:05 PM   #352
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 43,936
I know if somebody wants to commit suicide, they will find a way to do it, I am just uneasy with my tax money being use in a way that might encourage suicide for non physical reasons.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 03:09 PM   #353
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Moomin Valley
Posts: 15,439
Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I have a serious disease that will probably kill me sometime before my 10 year USA Treasury notes come due. Several of the ways it can kill me can be quite drawn-out and painful. Therefore I get quite angry when others, snug and smug in their current lives, assemble lists of “acceptable” versus unacceptable justifications for euthanasia. Just how much suffering do these other people believe that I should go through during the end stages of my disease before I can legitimately seek euthanasia/physician assisted suicide? Would uremic poisoning be a valid reason? Or perhaps intense bone pain? What if the intense bone pain could be controlled 90% of the day by pain medication, but only by placing me in a mental fog such that I cannot communicate with my family? What if the intense bone pain could only be controlled 50% of the day, or never fully? Would it be okay if I was to die by the disease alone in a month or so, but not if the euthanasia would advance my death by a year?

These will be hard choices for me to make when and if I have to, but what business is it of others? Why does anyone else have a right to impose their own moral codes on me in this, the most fundamental decision anyone can make? Especially given that most of these moral codes are drafted in the security of reasonable health; I have no doubt that an individual’s moral codes on euthanasia may change quite a bit when they are covered in sweat and screaming in pain in the grip of a hopeless disease.

Certainly there are enormous complexities as to euthanasia and suicide. People “of sound mind” can and do change their minds. Emotional or mental disorders can be improved or cured; apparently rapidly progressively lethal physical diseases can go into remission. Pain can be reduced, although not always adequately.

I am not advocating medically assisted suicide on the basis of a single unsupported patient request (none of the current schemes allow this anyway – most are very cautious and require multiple requirements be documented). But I do urge enormous humbleness and deep caution whenever assembling a list of acceptable versus unacceptable criteria for euthanasia/medically assisted suicide. Yes, there are limits that society needs to impose. But always we must remember that we are imposing these moral exercises on many people who are in extremis. We must always be careful that we are not imposing our own religious views on others. Or minimizing the terrors of people facing real horrors and pains that we only hope we ourselves will never encounter. We are not in their situation, and they have more right to judge than we do.

Just to re-assure: it is extraordinarily unlikely I would ever choose suicide, physician assisted or not. But having that ultimate option available is very important to me psychologically and will make it easier for me to suffer the worse parts. Be very cautious in proposing to decide for me whether and when I can or cannot.
A close relative of mine died recently from prostate cancer, which he'd originally had diagnosed over twelve years ago. Then he was informed his PSA was elevated after his regular checkup. He was called back for tests and despite hormone therapy it spread to his bones, and I think his brain as his speech became incomprehensible most of the time.

In his final weeks he had amazing healthcare, having refused to take any more cancer drugs, which he blamed for his symptoms. The quality of pain relief was incredible, not that he ever complained to me, he had complete control of how much of the pain medication he needed. The quality of life was obviously not good, lying in a hospital bed staring ahead and in a way when he died it was a merciful release for him, although he never spoke of dying, was terrified of it (would never step foot in a graveyard) and never admitted to being terminally ill. He died a dignified and peaceful death in pleasant surroundings and with a nurse present so he was not alone at that point.
__________________
If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty. ~ Japanese Proverb
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 04:03 PM   #354
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15,562
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
I fully agree you should be able to make your own choices about the end of your life, in light of your terminal illness.

But, I'm still opposed to laws allowing euthanasia because in real life it's impossible to prevent them from being abused. Punishing someone after the fact for euthanizing someone who did not want to go isn't good enough for me; I believe we need to do everything we can to prevent the damage from happening in the first place.

We already have enough problems here in the USA with people -including members of this very forum- dying because they cannot afford proper medical care. I think adding euthanasia to a list of options for anyone will remove any existing incentive to continue providing expensive care to those who are terminal, but willing to face whatever Mother Nature has in store.
Are you distinguishing "euthanasia" from "physician assisted suicide?" Because my ability to make my own choices about the end of my life would likely involve physician assistance (I would probably find myself in a medical setting where I cannot just take a shotgun to my head, and anyway I'd hate to screw it up with an amateur approach). I believe proper guidelines can be (often have been) put into place that prevent relatives, friends, or government pushing a person against their will into killing themselves. If we need better guidelines is a legitimate discussion but different from the idea of physician-assisted suicide itself.

BTY: Although I have a terminal illness, so do we do; the legitimacy of suicide/euthanasia is therefore not so easily partitioned on this basis. I only know something you probably do not: what I will likely die of, that I will have advance notice some months ahead of time, and that it is likely to occur before the release of Star Wars 15 (call it a godsend for that reason).

Last edited by Giordano; 10th June 2019 at 04:05 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 04:19 PM   #355
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15,562
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
A close relative of mine died recently from prostate cancer, which he'd originally had diagnosed over twelve years ago. Then he was informed his PSA was elevated after his regular checkup. He was called back for tests and despite hormone therapy it spread to his bones, and I think his brain as his speech became incomprehensible most of the time.

In his final weeks he had amazing healthcare, having refused to take any more cancer drugs, which he blamed for his symptoms. The quality of pain relief was incredible, not that he ever complained to me, he had complete control of how much of the pain medication he needed. The quality of life was obviously not good, lying in a hospital bed staring ahead and in a way when he died it was a merciful release for him, although he never spoke of dying, was terrified of it (would never step foot in a graveyard) and never admitted to being terminally ill. He died a dignified and peaceful death in pleasant surroundings and with a nurse present so he was not alone at that point.
Sure, this is the ideal but, unfortunately, can never be guaranteed. My own experiences suggest it is likely the minority situation in the USA, with most people obtaining some, but often quite sub-optimal end-of-life support. I experienced my own father going through intense pain and suffering despite his care at a top hospital and access to powerful pain-killers. Related to the location of his tumor. It depends on the nature of the disease (as well as access to the right hospice care, etc.). In fact in the USA the recent crack down on opioid use appears to have made legitimate pain control even more difficult. The drugs are fearfully tightly controlled and, worse still, physicians recognize that they are constantly under the eyes of law enforcement and can lose their careers, their reputations, or even be imprisoned, should the use of pain relievers in their practices be questioned. They have become very conservative in prescribing them (resulting in more distress for the patients), or simply have gotten out of this aspect of heath care entirely.

Would I ever invoke physician-assisted suicide if I was experiencing the type of situation you narrate? Of course not (although I would prefer to be at a sea-side resort or at home vs an institutional setting). But again, the option of physician-assisted suicide is important to me if such a "good death" proves impossible.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 04:27 PM   #356
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15,562
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Is that enough to constitute actual feeding her enough for her to gain the weight back and you still need the restraints to prevent removal of the glucose drip. So holding her down for the IV vs the NG tube isn't all that different.
Exactly. People with unwanted IVs are tied into their hospital beds, with their arms trussed up above them, pretty much 24 hours a day. They cannot read a book or even scratch their noses on their own. My point is again to urge people to think very carefully the situations in which we have any right to impose this on someone else, especially when we are saying that we, absolute strangers, know better what is good for this person than they do themselves.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 04:31 PM   #357
Ernie M
Muse
 
Ernie M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 809
English version of Noa Pothoven’s book, Winnen of Leren?

Does anyone know if there's an English version of Noa Pothoven’s book, Winnen of Leren? Print or ebook like Amazon's Kindle.

I recently emailed, and filled out an online form, for Boekscout, the publisher. I haven't heard from them yet, they might need time to respond. I wrote to them in English, and included a Dutch translation according to google translate. Hopefully I'll hear from them, but I wondered if anyone on the Forum knows if there's an English version of Noa's book?

Winnen of Leren link on boekscout.nl
__________________
paranormalstateillustrated.com

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 05:30 PM   #358
p0lka
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,471
Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Exactly. People with unwanted IVs are tied into their hospital beds, with their arms trussed up above them, pretty much 24 hours a day. They cannot read a book or even scratch their noses on their own. My point is again to urge people to think very carefully the situations in which we have any right to impose this on someone else, especially when we are saying that we, absolute strangers, know better what is good for this person than they do themselves.
Does that actually happen anywhere?
In my experience IVs tend to be on a portable stand that you can take with you, for instance if you need the toilet. Or need to go outside to have a fag etc.

Last edited by p0lka; 10th June 2019 at 05:43 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 05:53 PM   #359
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 40,202
Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Does that actually happen anywhere?
In my experience IVs tend to be on a portable stand that you can take with you, for instance if you need the toilet. Or need to go outside to have a fag etc.

I would assume that is so they can't pull the IV out.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 07:07 PM   #360
p0lka
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,471
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
I would assume that is so they can't pull the IV out.
Yeah my naivety is showing again, because that
Quote:
People with unwanted IVs are tied into their hospital beds, with their arms trussed up above them, pretty much 24 hours a day. They cannot read a book or even scratch their noses on their own.
should never ever happen
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:22 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.