ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags homophobia incidents , London incidents

Old 7th June 2019, 11:12 AM   #41
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
That's insane. They should've just kissed.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 11:15 AM   #42
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
I think he is blaming you for not understanding his posting style.
Yeah, the comment should have been, "This is not the thread for that crap."

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"Yes he took a dump in the salad bar. But he does that every time we eat at this restaurant. Why are you still angry about it?"
See, now that would have been a more precise reply.

This:
Originally Posted by JoeM
There's more to satire and parody then just being an inappropriate troll and declaring victory when people are annoyed by it.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 7th June 2019 at 11:25 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 11:19 AM   #43
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
London has more cameras than the tourist area of Chicago.

In other words, they know exactly who got on and off that bus at certain times.

We can be sure of this because of the Jussie Smollett case.
Odds are they have the right suspects. I think the "central park five" happened before surveillance cameras were ubiquitous. They just picked some poor boys who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old 7th June 2019, 11:22 AM   #44
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

At the risk of seeming to take "should've just kissed" seriously, it doesn't seem likely to me that complying would have defused the intimidation and prevented them getting beaten up and robbed.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 11:23 AM   #45
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Don't put that challange out there because some people can and will pick it up. I've been through some **** but have no problem joking about it, I follow the Jewish logic of "if you don't laugh you cry".

If you want the poster to be more sensitive just ask,because if they are anything like me they very well could get beaten and robed and be joking about it hours later. I was cracking " the score is now 1 to 10 billion" to a mildly racist friend of a friend who tried to use the fact I hit mugged by poc as evidence of the criminal nature of those types.
Excuse me, but there is a very real difference between making light of a bad experience that happened in a first person context as opposed to a bad experience that happened to someone else.

As for myself, I have been beaten up plenty of times and I have been robbed a few times.

And while I feel quite at liberty to be facetious about my own experiences, it would be very wrong of me to do the same thing about someone else.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 11:25 AM   #46
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
OK then.

Thanks much for the clarification.

Perhaps if you and/or 'Cain' were badly beaten and robbed, then you would find that to be most amusing as well.
Probably not. I'm afraid that's the classic difference between tragedy and comedy for you.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 11:29 AM   #47
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Some suspects have been arrested.

If the ones arrested are the ones who did it, send them to prison.
They should be forced to kiss each other before they get sent off to jail

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 11:30 AM   #48
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
At the risk of seeming to take "should've just kissed" seriously, it doesn't seem likely to me that complying would have defused the intimidation and prevented them getting beaten up and robbed.
You might want to think about the logical extension of that line of thought then hurry back here to retract the above.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 11:32 AM   #49
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
You might want to think about the logical extension of that line of thought then hurry back here to retract the above.
Why?

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 11:36 AM   #50
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Why?

"If you had just done as they asked then there would have been no negative consequenses" can also be applied to giving someone your wallet, having sex with them, letting them take the items they want from your shop without paying and a very large number of other criminal acts. where the argument given is self-evidently invalid.

If this complusion is materially different from any of the others then it may be valid, but I really can't see how it is.

Old 7th June 2019, 11:37 AM   #51
carlitos
"más divertido"

I thought as much.

3point14, you missed a negative in your reading.

Quote:
it doesn't seem likely to me that complying would have defused the intimidation
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 11:38 AM   #52
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

I don't get it.

<edit> Oh. Okay, it looks like you missed the "doesn't seem likely" part. Yikes. No wonder you reacted.

Last edited by Jack by the hedge; 7th June 2019 at 11:43 AM.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 11:42 AM   #53
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
They should be forced to kiss each other before they get sent off to jail
An irony here is that young British lower class criminally-inclined lads are themselves a not unpopular object of fetish.

Eta: or so I've heard. From a friend.
Old 7th June 2019, 11:44 AM   #54
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I thought as much.

3point14, you missed a negative in your reading.

THANK YOU!!!

Apologies to all, particularly Jack. Really sorry.

I shall leave the offending posts as they are as a lesson in the necessity of reading things properly.

(sorry)

Old 7th June 2019, 11:47 AM   #55
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
An irony here is that young British lower class criminally-inclined lads are themselves a not unpopular object of fetish.

Eta: or so I've heard. From a friend.
Well, now they'll have plenty of time to think about that while detained at her majesty's pleasure, as the saying goes.

And no, there's nothing remotely suggestive about that and I certainly don't know what you lot are smirking about.
Old 7th June 2019, 12:04 PM   #56
sadhatter
Philosopher

Excuse me, but there is a very real difference between making light of a bad experience that happened in a first person context as opposed to a bad experience that happened to someone else.

As for myself, I have been beaten up plenty of times and I have been robbed a few times.

And while I feel quite at liberty to be facetious about my own experiences, it would be very wrong of me to do the same thing about someone else.
Did you miss the last half of my post?

My issue was with the challange "maybe if you got beat and robbed it you wouldn't find it funny. ". It's simply not effective argumentation as a decent portion of the population can and would laugh.

If you want someone to not be so edgy ask,they don't have to say yes of course, but no one is going to be convinced by a challange they can gladly accept.

It would be like me threatening the rock that if he didn't stop doing something id fight him. My challange would literally have zero impact.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 12:11 PM   #57
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Yeah, the comment should have been, "This is not the thread for that crap."

See, now that would have been a more precise reply.

This:
There was also that unfortunate descent into seriousness which had overtones which could be applied to this thread.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 12:37 PM   #58
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Did you miss the last half of my post?
Sorry, but I had a lot of trouble following the last half of your post.

Quote:
My issue was with the challange "maybe if you got beat and robbed it you wouldn't find it funny. ". It's simply not effective argumentation as a decent portion of the population can and would laugh.

If you want someone to not be so edgy ask,they don't have to say yes of course, but no one is going to be convinced by a challange they can gladly accept.

It would be like me threatening the rock that if he didn't stop doing something id fight him. My challange would literally have zero impact.
Sorry, but I am having a lot of trouble following this part of your post as well.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 12:44 PM   #59
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The initial description of the Smollett attack sounded like a hoax right away. This one does not. The only somewhat questionable element is the claim that the guys threw coins. Presumably this was some childish form of "payment" to get them to kiss. It's somewhat odd because it wouldn't be typical for robbers to throw money at a person that they plan to steal from. Maybe the decision to rob wasn't the initial intent and instead it was just to harass and verbally torment.
Old 7th June 2019, 12:57 PM   #60
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I concur; based on the information currently available I think a hate attack was the first priority and the robbery afterwards was more an opportunistic afterthought.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 01:11 PM   #61
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Daily Mail now reports that she has a broken nose and her girlfriend has a broken jaw. Not sure if that's all confirmed or what.

If this bus has cameras upstairs and down then the whole thing would be recorded I guess. She says it started upstairs and the fighting continued down to the lower level of the bus.

The onboard cameras should show everything. But there is a possibility that the physical assault was initiated by one of the women. The guys would deserve it, but I don't know how the law reads in relation to who throws the first punch.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...cked-them.html
Old 7th June 2019, 01:20 PM   #62
sadhatter
Philosopher

Sorry, but I had a lot of trouble following the last half of your post.

Sorry, but I am having a lot of trouble following this part of your post as well.
No problem ill simplify it.

A big man yells at you from across the street. What is going to happen if you tell him " come over here and say that" ? He is going to meet the challange, and come away feeling like he was right.

Challanges work when they make sense to the situation, and they are something the person likely could not do. Otherwise they just cement in the person's view they were right.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 01:28 PM   #63
Checkmite

The police, who have access to the bus recordings, arrested the four men and neither of the women; tentatively, I'm going to accept that as an answer to the question of whether the women initiated the physical assault.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 01:40 PM   #64
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

CNN has the perps as teenagers.

The Metropolitan Police said four males, aged between 15 and 18, had been arrested on suspicion of robbery and causing grievous bodily harm.

https://start.att.net/news/read/arti.../category/news

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 01:44 PM   #65
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
The police, who have access to the bus recordings, arrested the four men and neither of the women; tentatively, I'm going to accept that as an answer to the question of whether the women initiated the physical assault.
I would expect them to be arrested even if she threw the first punch. There was a stolen bag and phone, and they battered these two women.
Old 7th June 2019, 01:47 PM   #66
Checkmite

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I would expect them to be arrested even if she threw the first punch. There was a stolen bag and phone, and they battered these two women.
But I would not expect one of the women to NOT be arrested as well if she threw the first punch.
Old 7th June 2019, 01:54 PM   #67
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

But I would not expect one of the women to NOT be arrested as well if she threw the first punch.
Why? There are probably plenty of mitigating circumstances.
Old 7th June 2019, 01:56 PM   #68
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I would not expect her to be arrested given the situation and context.

It's also still possible that the initial attack (or any of it) was not recorded on camera. IOW, they caught the guys because cameras were around, but they aren't certain of the physical assaulting because it's not recorded or it isn't clear.
Old 7th June 2019, 02:04 PM   #69
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

There is even a chance possibility that the four guys didn't take the bag and phone. Those could have been stolen by some other opportunistic passenger. She says that after it was all over she noticed the bag and phone were gone. She doesn't say she saw them take it. Cameras might show who grabbed that stuff.

The photo of them bleeding on the bus is not a selfie. They must have handed a second phone to another passenger (or the driver) to take the picture. The photo is credited to Melania.
Old 7th June 2019, 02:10 PM   #70
Checkmite

It's also still possible that the initial attack (or any of it) was not recorded on camera. IOW, they caught the guys because cameras were around, but they aren't certain of the physical assaulting because it's not recorded or it isn't clear.
The police arrested the men for both the assault and the robbery. Since neither of the women directly alleged seeing the attackers taking the items, logically that decision was most likely based on camera footage of the incident.
Old 7th June 2019, 02:22 PM   #71
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The police arrested the men for both the assault and the robbery. Since neither of the women directly alleged seeing the attackers taking the items, logically that decision was most likely based on camera footage of the incident.
I would expect them to be arrested for assault and theft even if there was no recorded footage from the bus and only recorded street scenes of them running away from the stop.
Old 7th June 2019, 02:31 PM   #72
Checkmite

I would expect them to be arrested for assault and theft even if there was no recorded footage from the bus and only recorded street scenes of them running away from the stop.
However, there is recorded footage from the bus of the attack, thus it would be informing the police's actions.
Old 7th June 2019, 02:37 PM   #73
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

However, there is recorded footage from the bus of the attack, thus it would be informing the police's actions.
We haven't been told what any footage shows. My point is a statement of opinion. I believe that they would arrest these guys even if footage doesn't clearly show the action. The women were obviously punched and some stuff is missing. That's enough right there, IMO.

In all likelihood it happened the way she describes it, or very close to that.
Old 7th June 2019, 02:54 PM   #74
Checkmite

We haven't been told what any footage shows.
The bus company has told reporters that the CCTV footage shows the attack. Due to the nature of CCTV cameras on buses, there is a negligible chance that the footage could somehow show any part of the attack without showing the whole thing, since they are stationary cameras that show the entire passenger area of the bus and are always operating.
Old 7th June 2019, 03:16 PM   #75
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The bus company has told reporters that the CCTV footage shows the attack. Due to the nature of CCTV cameras on buses, there is a negligible chance that the footage could somehow show any part of the attack without showing the whole thing, since they are stationary cameras that show the entire passenger area of the bus and are always operating.
I don't know what news agency has the most current and accurate information.

There is a 3 hour old report from BBC saying that there is footage of the attack. It also uses the word "suspicion" of the charges and I'm not accustomed to seeing that word particularly when conclusive evidence already exists. It states that witnesses are still being sought and that police are "following up" with the video.

My claim was that they would arrest the guys even if she punched first - whether they could see that or not. You haven't proven to me that there is any yet knowable certainty that she didn't punch first.
Old 7th June 2019, 03:22 PM   #76
angrysoba
Philosophile

I don't know what news agency has the most current and accurate information.

There is a 3 hour old report from BBC saying that there is footage of the attack. It also uses the word "suspicion" of the charges and I'm not accustomed to seeing that word particularly when conclusive evidence already exists. It states that witnesses are still being sought and that police are "following up" with the video.

My claim was that they would arrest the guys even if she punched first - whether they could see that or not. You haven't proven to me that there is any yet knowable certainty that she didn't punch first.
This is pretty normal in reporting. You can have a video which blatantly shows person A attaching person B and person A is still the suspect and they are still arrested on suspicion. I believe that this is in keeping with legal definitions.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 03:24 PM   #77
Cain
Straussian

Maybe it's just me, but the woman on the left looks like how Gwyneth Paltrow should look.
Old 7th June 2019, 03:31 PM   #78
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

OK then.

Thanks much for the clarification.

Perhaps if you and/or 'Cain' were badly beaten and robbed, then you would find that to be most amusing as well.
Probably not. I'm afraid that's the classic difference between tragedy and comedy for you.

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

Mel Brooks
Old 7th June 2019, 03:34 PM   #79
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Oh, come on. I suppose now you're going to tell me that plumbers don't really regularly have sex with a hot MILF and her three teenage daughters.

You're confused.

That would be 'pool boys'. A plumber wouldn't have the stamina to do all three daughters.
Old 7th June 2019, 03:34 PM   #80
IsThisTheLife
Thinker

Does it ever occur to you that you're being told where to look? No?

A couple of women get beaten up, OK, pretty unpleasant, but why is it front-page news?

Oh, I see .....

Last edited by IsThisTheLife; 7th June 2019 at 03:36 PM.
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events