ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th September 2019, 04:40 PM   #201
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I guess that's where we differ.

I'd serve guests something that I think they might enjoy and be able to eat. From time to time I've had to accommodate a range of religious and dietary restrictions and a vegetarian or vegan meal may be the best way of doing that and still deliver something that's delicious.

Then again I'm not the kind of "my house, my rules" kind of person that would rather make a point than make his guests feel comfortable.
indeed.
I was asked for the recipe of my main dish by the veggie we accommodated and two of the carnivores that night.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 04:59 PM   #202
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Bacon cheeseburger. I got autocorrected again.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 05:03 PM   #203
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Bacon cheeseburger. I got autocorrected auto-corrected again.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 08:24 PM   #204
Doghouse Reilly
Adrift on an uncharted sea

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Do you eat any processed foods, such as breakfast cereal?
No, I don't.
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 08:25 PM   #205
Doghouse Reilly
Adrift on an uncharted sea

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post

No dietary source that you know of.
Correct. And I've given it a lot of thought. Any suggestions for a source I've overlooked are appreciated.
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 08:59 PM   #206
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Doghouse Reilly View Post
Correct. And I've given it a lot of thought. Any suggestions for a source I've overlooked are appreciated.
The biota that makes B12 live in the colon. It's a water soluble vitamin. The colon absorbs water. Veggers eat a lot of fiber to feed that biota. And YES, colons do adsorb stuff, like coffee enemas (Steve McQueen) or migraine medications, and there are other medications delivered by suppository. So I wouldn't believe that colonic B12 is not the source without modern and specific study.

Unless copraphagy is another of your idiosyncrasys ?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 09:21 PM   #207
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Not just meat availability (although I bet few people would find caveman cuisine palatable), but food availability.

Every time this subject comes up, there is an attempt to point to evolution as though it is the ultimate arbiter of what humans ought to eat today.

It is essentially pseudoscience.
It's not completely pseudoscience. If I found an animal that I'd never seen before and wanted to raise it, I might take a look at what other members of it's species are eating in the wild in order to find what a healthy diet to feed it would be. Seems like a good starting point.

The pseudoscience is the idea that we should just stop there, as though we haven't done any more science with respect to human diet and nutrition.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 10:28 PM   #208
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Nutrition requires balance and moderation. Just like almost everything else in life. Why this is a difficult concept for some people to grasp I will never understand.
Interesting. How much animal product consumed, as a pct of total daily calories, do you think is required to achieve nutritional "balance"?

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 10:55 PM   #209
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Interesting. How much animal product consumed, as a pct of total daily calories, do you think is required to achieve nutritional "balance"?
Which animal?

Fish, poultry, red meat?

And how is a balanced diet based on calories
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 11:18 PM   #210
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Which animal?
Any animals. The implication is that for a diet to be "balanced" it requires animal products. I'd like to know how much satisfies that requirement.

Quote:
And how is a balanced diet based on calories
How is it not?

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 11:27 PM   #211
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Any animals. The implication is that for a diet to be "balanced" it requires animal products. I'd like to know how much satisfies that requirement.

How is it not?
Calories mean jack to a balanced diet.

Red meat like beef is good as it contains iron, fish omega 3, poultry (putting eggs aside as it is obvious) carbs.

And that is just the obvious ones

Then you have vitamins from things like fruit, the thingys in grains I can't remember that make you poo proper.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 11:34 PM   #212
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Calories mean jack to a balanced diet.
I don't know what this is supposed to mean.

Quote:
Red meat like beef is good as it contains iron, fish omega 3...
How much red meat needs to be added to a Vegan diet to make it "balanced"?

Wollen owns the stage
Old 14th September 2019, 11:39 PM   #213
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I don't know what this is supposed to mean.

How much red meat needs to be added to a Vegan diet to make it "balanced"?
I meant not everything is based on calories for a balanced diet

E.g Google scurvy

Presumably a shed load of supplements

Old 14th September 2019, 11:43 PM   #214
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

As a backward aside.

Personally had a blood test a while ago as I was feeling knackered all the time and they found I was low folic acid.

Had more veggies and supplements for a month, all normal.

A balanced diet is a broad brush.

Old Yesterday, 12:03 AM   #215
EHocking
Philosopher

Red meat like beef is good as it contains iron, fish omega 3, poultry (putting eggs aside as it is obvious) carbs....
Carbs in chicken meat?
WTF do you Kiwis feed chickens with to produce carbs in their meat?
Old Yesterday, 12:08 AM   #216
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Carbs in chicken meat?
WTF do you Kiwis feed chickens with to produce carbs in their meat?
Fair call

Made a hash of that one

Got my nutrients mixed.

It has whatever the thing is that makes athletes eat loads of it.

Old Yesterday, 12:13 AM   #217
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Protein

Got there in the end

Old Yesterday, 12:14 AM   #218
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Doghouse Reilly View Post
No, I don't.
You're getting it from somewhere. If you fancy listing your typical diet in some detail it would help, otherwise people are just guessing. Soy milk?

The point is that even vegan organisations recommend B12 supplements and it's hard to accept that you're a biological freak for whom nutritional science simply doesn't apply.
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM   #219
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Related web page https://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2006/1/awsi/Page "Do vegetarians live longer?"

Veggers, do read past few paragraphs to
Quote:
Longevity studies of vegetarians produce conflicting data. Some studies do not show that vegetarians live significantly longer.25,29 Two studies of people who consumed very little meat showed an average life-span increase of 3.6 years.39 A huge study of Seventh Day Adventists who ate little or no meat showed longevity increases of 7.28 years in men and 4.42 years in women.40 These data are confounded by the fact that Seventh Day Adventists follow healthy lifestyles free of tobacco and alcohol.
Then,
Quote:
A fascinating paper recently published in the journal Mechanisms of Aging and Development presents an entirely new theory to explain why vegetarians do not live longer.41 It turns out that those who avoid eating beef suffer a deficiency of a nutrient (carnosine) that is critical to preventing lethal glycation reactions in the body.

For the benefit of new members, glycation can be defined as the toxic binding of glucose to the body’s proteins. Glycation alters the body’s proteins and renders them non-functional. While wrinkled skin is the first outward appearance of glycation, most degenerative diseases are affected in one way or another by pathological glycation reactions.

Diabetics suffer from accelerated glycation that contributes to the secondary diseases that result in premature death.42,43 For instance, glycation’s destructive effect on the arterial system results in a loss of elasticity, hypertension, and atherosclerosis.44-47 Glycation is involved in disorders as diverse as cataract, cancer, and Alzheimer’s disease.48-57

Unless aggressive steps are taken, many aging adults will suffer the devastating effects of glycation to proteins throughout their bodies. This fact was established recently when it was shown that even healthy people with slightly elevated glycation levels are at higher risk for heart attack.

Vegetarians have higher levels of advanced glycation end products (AGEs) in their blood compared to those who eat meat.58,59 This is because an exclusively vegetarian diet would lack carnosine, nature’s most potent anti-glycating agent.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM   #220
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Not just meat availability (although I bet few people would find caveman cuisine palatable), but food availability.

Every time this subject comes up, there is an attempt to point to evolution as though it is the ultimate arbiter of what humans ought to eat today.

It is essentially pseudoscience.
Sorry for the late reaction, but I find this interesting. Genus Homo have been omnivorous for millions of years, since at least Homo Erectus. Even if dietary science is a work in progress, it's obvious that we're adapted to eating meat. We have the teeth and the gut for it. Grain and legumes are a very recent addition to the human diet, and are not always well-tolerated. Same with dairy.

Whatever you think we should do, please don't misrepresent what we have done.

It's not pseudoscience to say that we're naturally omnivores; it's simple fact. By all means, though, feel free to propose a plan to establish an alternative, while understanding that it could take at least a few hundred thousand years to make it work.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events