ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags quantum mechanics

Old Today, 05:33 PM   #1001
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
When you say that a cat can't be in a superposition do you mean that not.even part of the cat can be in a superposition?

Or do you mean that the whole cat can't be in superposition? In this case, what is the maximum percentage of a cat, at a rough estimate, can be in a superposition?
Is this a trick question about biological superposition and nothing to do with the experiment?
pittsburghjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:38 PM   #1002
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by pittsburghjoe View Post
I didn't say spacetime isn't everywhere. A vacuum doesn't have anything to be big enough to be a spacetime object though.
WTF?
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:39 PM   #1003
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

Welcome to The Physical Divide
pittsburghjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:41 PM   #1004
Steve001
Graduate Poster

::sigh::

If the tennis ball is the size of a virus ..sure
Nope. Macro sized object can tunnel also.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:42 PM   #1005
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

Oh, silly me then.
Old Today, 05:43 PM   #1006
Steve001
Graduate Poster

You, seriously, still don't think my theory has any merit?
Present your "theory" to a physics forum. I dare you. And be prepared with a skewer cause you will be roasted.
Old Today, 05:46 PM   #1007
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

Yeah, I've been there. They are like Reality Check ..stuck in their ways.
Old Today, 05:54 PM   #1008
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Which one with a link to the relevant thread.
Old Today, 06:00 PM   #1009
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

If you want to witness my progress to get to where I am now you can look at my topic list on this site https://www.thenakedscientists.com/f...topics;u=42983

I know you just want to find ways to "get" me with, that's fine.

Many sites straight up delete me out of existence.

Oh, and the most up-to-date link is the one the admins force me to promote http://forum.objectivismonline.com/i...s-unobserved/&

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; Today at 06:25 PM.
Old Today, 06:04 PM   #1010
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

when was this? The final panel doesn't count. Oh, with extra polarizers
Not the final pattern and nothing to do with polarisers which are in a different version of the experiment.

We had a whole discussion about this.

When the electron is detected using light at the slit exit, there is still an interference pattern if the detection is too low to provide which way information.

Increase the precision and the interference pattern goes away.

There is even an in between stage where the precision gives unreliable which way data and there is a degraded interference pattern.

So 'detection' or 'acknowledgement' can't be the criterion.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:08 PM   #1011
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

Why can't I just say the light wasn't powerful enough to fully change the state of all the particles?
Old Today, 06:28 PM   #1012
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

You go from genius to dummy every other sentence ..it's supper weird
So you are claiming that for some X, we might discover the properties of X, we might manipulate X and observe the results of our manipulation, but it still might be the case that X has remained completely unobserved?

Are claiming that with a straight face?
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:34 PM   #1013
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

I'm claiming state is all that matters
Old Today, 06:48 PM   #1014
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Exclamation A "stuck in their ways" delusion when he fails at other forum

17 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: A "stuck in their ways" delusion when he fails at other forum.

People use science forums such as tis "Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology" section of the International Skeptics Forum tend to know science! You know that these people have recognized your stories for what they are - fantasies. That includes all of the posters in this thread, not just myself.

This goes back to a point I mentioned days ago. If you have tried for the last 5 years to convince people on science forums that your stories are anything but fantasy and failed, then you have no hope in the more knowledgeable scientific community.
Reality Check is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:54 PM   #1015
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

I've refined everything in those 5 years. I can't find something wrong with it. Someone is bound to recognize it as plausible as me.
Old Today, 07:03 PM   #1016
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I've refined everything in those 5 years. I can't find something wrong with it. Someone is bound to recognize it as plausible as me.
People who know what they're talking about have found plenty of things wrong with it.

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:06 PM   #1017
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

present what you are talking about
Old Today, 07:09 PM   #1018
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

present what you are talking about
I refer the honourable member to the last 25 pages of this discussion.

arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:11 PM   #1019
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

So you don't read my comments shooting them down? okay, whatever
Old Today, 07:12 PM   #1020
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Backward "progress" if anything according to a nakedscientists list

If you want to witness my progress ...
17 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: Backward "progress" if anything according to a linked nakedscientists list.
"Detectors are not the cause of collapse" is more ignorant word salad about the uncertainty principle.

"Do we know if graphene sheets display quantum uncertainty when superconducting?" is just gibberish.

"Maybe there was a before spacetime" is ignorant about the Methuselah star. No one says that HD 140283 should not exist : "Due to the uncertainty in the value, this age for the star may or may not conflict with the calculated age of the Universe".

"The Uncertainty Principle is the misalignment of Spacetime and QM" more gibberish.

"I found a way to marry GR with QM (assigning partial spacetime to quantum waves)" is a lie because GR and QM are scientific theories, unrelated to his gibberish.

"Connection between a galaxies super-massive black hole to dark matter at rim" is just an ignorant question. Information about dark matter and super-massive black hole sis easily found and the answer is no.

"Is constructive and destructive interference deciding the path of the particle?" is ignorant word salad.

"The Holographic Principle only applies to QM particles" is delusions about imaginary "spacetime objects. All objects are QM particles or made of QM particles.

"Do we need dark energy if we come up with an alternative reason for expansion?" is ignorant gibberish. Dark energy is whatever is causing the accelerated expansion of the universe.

"Do Matter Waves collapse when bumping into any large object?" is matter wave gibberish.

"How will buckyballs fired at a double slit behave?" is abysmal ignorance of the double slit experiment.
Reality Check is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:15 PM   #1021
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

was this really necessary?
Old Today, 07:16 PM   #1022
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

The higgs field is a lie
ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!?!?!
Old Today, 07:17 PM   #1023
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Exclamation Actually referring to his misunderstanding of forum Rule 4

Oh, and the most up-to-date link is the one the admins force me to promote...
17 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: Actually referring to his misunderstanding of forum Rule 4 that forced the admins to truncate his OP!

This is simply not to flood the thread with large amounts of text that is available elsewhere.
Old Today, 07:17 PM   #1024
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

So you don't read my comments shooting them down? okay, whatever
You've already scored higher on the Crackpot Index than anyone I've seen since TimeCube. I'm only reading for amusement now.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology