ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th July 2017, 12:37 PM   #41
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

I live in Georgia. Seems very easy to get a gun.

http://legalbeagle.com/12310909-purc...m-georgia.html

Quote:
Unlike many states, Georgia doesn't require that you first obtain a permit before purchasing a gun. Depending on where you purchase the gun, however, you may have to meet additional requirements to complete the sale. If you want to carry your gun in public, state law requires that you first obtain a license to carry.
Maybe if I buy my gun at the Post Exchange (could bypass state taxes) I would have to
meet additional requirements?

Quote:
Both are constitutionally protected rights. But the people who screamed about Trump trying to collect vote data can't see how the collection of gun owner data could possible be an infringement.
What?!? I do not want Trump anyone to have my voter data. There is some evidence that
voter data was used to target key areas with disinformation and people were voting
based on lies.

Is voter data used to gerrymander districts?

I wonder if I bought a gun here in Georgia and applied to carry the gun in
public, what kind of leaflets and cards I would get before the 2018 election?

Are there any gun owners here (the forum) in Georgia who registered as something
other than Republican?

How do I change my registration? I moved to another district in May.
Old 19th July 2017, 12:42 PM   #42
Yeggster
Master Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Are you being serious? Frankly, I think we should take the approach that Australia takes. It's illegal NOT to Vote.
So Wonder Woman, and Jesus can be voted in like other areas where voting is manditory?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/02/world/...tes/index.html
Yeggster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 01:44 PM   #43
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Yeggster View Post
So Wonder Woman, and Jesus can be voted in like other areas where voting is manditory?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/02/world/...tes/index.html
Only if:

1. It is their legal name.
2. They are on the Ballot Paper
3. They finish up with over 50% of the vote after preferences are distributed.

Norm

fromdownunder is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 01:53 PM   #44
epeeist
Critical Thinker

Given the history especially post-reconstruction about voter ballot qualification quizzes (I've seen a few, ridiculously difficult) meant to discourage black voters, and other efforts even to the present (including measures not directly inhibiting voting but altering the effects e.g. gerrymandering), I don't want it more difficult to vote. If you want mandatory photo ID checks, well then make such photo voter IDs available for free (and don't put the photo centre in a location accessible only to drivers during hours that anyone working a job can't get to by public transportation in time etc.).

Re gun ownership, while I don't live in the US and favour less ready availability of firearms than there is there, it's a guaranteed constitutional right in the US. If you don't like it, push to amend the constitution, or live with it. And for that matter, if I lived in an area - rural or urban - in which police response times were e.g. over an hour, I'd definitely want to own a firearm and have it in the house (securely locked etc.).
epeeist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 02:19 PM   #45
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Some gun owners have been inspired by that idea: Kennesaw

"In 2007, the city was selected by Family Circle magazine as one of the nation's "10 best towns for families".[5] In 2009 Newsmax magazine listed the city among the "Top 25 Most Uniquely American Cities and Towns".[6] The city is perhaps best known nationally for its mandatory gun-possession ordinance.[7] The residential burglary rate subsequently dropped 89% in Kennesaw, compared to the modest 10.4% drop in Georgia as a whole. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennesaw,_Georgia
How about gun violence? Any impact on that? I note that it's a community of 29,000 people. A couple of crimes could have a huge impact on statistics. So it would be easy to fudge this. That said, it wouldn't surprise me one bit that such a law would suppress certain kinds of crimes.
Old 21st July 2017, 02:02 PM   #46
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
"Make Ballots as hard to get as Guns"

Both are constitutionally protected rights. But the people who screamed about Trump trying to collect vote data can't see how the collection of gun owner data could possible be an infringement.

And so, I believe all those gun restrictions ought also apply to voting rights. Felony conviction already does, but oughtn't being insane also prohibit a person from voting? The definition of insane is "makes bad decisions", should that persons vote be counted?

Make Ballots as hard to get as Guns. Same ID requirements, same social standing requirements, same record keeping.
Since I have five guns does that mean I also get five votes?

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2017, 04:41 PM   #47
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Since I have five guns does that mean I also get five votes?
Depends how many guns you can aim at once, and how many deputies are guarding the ballot box.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2017, 06:58 PM   #48
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I'll believe they are similar when I see philanthropic billionaire white conservatives distributing free assault rifles to poor black men.
Old 21st July 2017, 07:19 PM   #49
novaphile
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Only if:

1. It is their legal name.
2. They are on the Ballot Paper
3. They finish up with over 50% of the vote after preferences are distributed.

Norm
Australia does not have "write in" candidates (in case that wasn't obvious from the above).

Having been a scrutineer, I have seen many informal votes that made me sad... (Informal votes are discarded)

Examples:
Some people do indeed write "Jesus Christ" on their ballots.
One election I saw many write-in votes for a popular football coach. (So many, I suspect that some dimwit promoted the idea)
People who are so proud of their vote, that they sign the ballot or write their name on it (any identifying mark makes a ballot informal)
People who write slogans (see above) on the ballot.
Minor sequence errors (like missing the number 20 on a Senate ballot, for people who vote below the line)

These made me sad, because, in many cases, it seemed to me that people were genuinely trying to vote.
Old 23rd July 2017, 05:20 AM   #50
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
"Make Ballots as hard to get as Guns"

And so, I believe all those gun restrictions ought also apply to voting rights. Felony conviction already does, but oughtn't being insane also prohibit a person from voting? The definition of insane is "makes bad decisions", should that persons vote be counted?

Make Ballots as hard to get as Guns. Same ID requirements, same social standing requirements, same record keeping.
Ummm, what? The Voter Suppression Commission and its requests have been rebuked by politicians from all over the spectrum in almost every state.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2017, 06:32 AM   #51
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Some gun owners have been inspired by that idea: Kennesaw
"In 2007, the city was selected by Family Circle magazine as one of the nation's "10 best towns for families".[5] In 2009 Newsmax magazine listed the city among the "Top 25 Most Uniquely American Cities and Towns".[6] The city is perhaps best known nationally for its mandatory gun-possession ordinance.[7] The residential burglary rate subsequently dropped 89% in Kennesaw, compared to the modest 10.4% drop in Georgia as a whole. "

Link
See the sentence I highlighted? That doesn't actually appear in the Wikipedia entry. You do find it stated on a lot of pro-gun websites. It also isn't true. We've previously discussed Kennesaw and at length. Even the local police have stated, the law has probably had some effect but how much is hard to say.

You have to click on the chart to make it readable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kennesaw Ga Crime Rate.jpg (139.8 KB, 15 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2017, 09:28 AM   #52
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
See the sentence I highlighted? That doesn't actually appear in the Wikipedia entry. You do find it stated on a lot of pro-gun websites. It also isn't true. We've previously discussed Kennesaw and at length. Even the local police have stated, the law has probably had some effect but how much is hard to say.

You have to click on the chart to make it readable.
Any proof/source for it being untrue? And if so, what was the actual fall in Kennesaw and georgia burglary rates?
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2017, 10:28 AM   #53
newyorkguy
Philosopher

You quote a passage from Wikipedia, and it's in quotes, and then insert a sentence at the end? To make it look like that sentence is in the Wikipedia entry. That is really dishonest. I'm actually surprised someone would do that. It's not from your Wikipedia link so where did you get it?

The city-data.com chart I posted shows that between 2001 and 2011 burglaries in Kennesaw more than doubled from 51 to 121. In 2014 they fell to 77, but still almost 50% higher than in 2001.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2017, 10:59 AM   #54
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Any proof/source for it being untrue? And if so, what was the actual fall in Kennesaw and georgia burglary rates?

Look at the chart.

newyorkguy interpreted the chart for you in his reply.

PS I would like to know why you added that sentence to the Wiki entry too.
Old 23rd July 2017, 03:32 PM   #55
Giz
Philosopher

You quote a passage from Wikipedia, and it's in quotes, and then insert a sentence at the end? To make it look like that sentence is in the Wikipedia entry. That is really dishonest. I'm actually surprised someone would do that. It's not from your Wikipedia link so where did you get it?
Wow. An accusation of dishonesty, I'd be offended but it's probably just projection on your side.

Here's what happened: I posted a quote from wiki on 7/17. Wiki was then amended by some unscrupulous gun-phobic charlatan on 7/23 to delete part of that section.

You can see the amendment including dates on the attachment, or just go to wiki and view the page history. (Maybe try that first next time?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiki edit.jpg (51.2 KB, 2 views)
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2017, 03:34 PM   #56
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by snoop_doxie View Post

PS I would like to know why you added that sentence to the Wiki entry too.
I didn't - someone edited wiki.

See attachment for wiki page history.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiki edit.jpg (51.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 23rd July 2017, 04:52 PM   #57
newyorkguy
Philosopher

... I posted a quote from wiki on 7/17. Wiki was then amended by some unscrupulous gun-phobic charlatan on 7/23 to delete part of that section. You can see the amendment including dates on the attachment, or just go to wiki and view the page history. (Maybe try that first next time?)
Okay, so between the time you quoted the page and the time I opened your link the last sentence in your quote was deleted? Did you see the reason they gave for deleting it:
Quote:
Deleted an opinion that was stated as a fact.
I agree with that, anyway.
Old 23rd July 2017, 05:12 PM   #58
Giz
Philosopher

Okay, so between the time you quoted the page and the time I opened your link the last sentence in your quote was deleted? Did you see the reason they gave for deleting it:

I agree with that, anyway.
Well, that's a classy apology for "You quote a passage from Wikipedia, and it's in quotes, and then insert a sentence at the end? To make it look like that sentence is in the Wikipedia entry. That is really dishonest. I'm actually surprised someone would do that. It's not from your Wikipedia link so where did you get it?"

So, thanks.

Ps - as I posted all the way back on 7/17... and the wiki edit/deletion was on 7/23, just before you happened to respond here: Was it you editing wiki to try and create some kind of gotcha? The timing is so convenient...
Old 23rd July 2017, 06:00 PM   #59
newyorkguy
Philosopher

The bottom line is, we discussed Kennesaw in another thread, at length. The law making gun ownership mandatory was shown to have little to no effect on crime rates, especially burglaries. First, burglaries are normally carried out when no one is home. Whether the home owner is a gun owner or not is not too important if the homeowner isn't home. Second, the law was passed in reaction to a law passed in an Illinois suburb (Morton Grove) that banned hand guns. The mayor of Kennesaw called it a "political law." He said the city has never entered people's homes to make sure they have a gun nor would they.

Third, the law grants people a "conscientious" exemption. If they don't want to have a gun in their home they don't have to have one. Fourth, look at the figures from city-data.com, a decidedly non-political website, between the town that banned hand guns and the one that made having one in the home mandatory:

Violent Crime Rate (per 100,000)
In 2014
  • Kennesaw 64.8
  • Morton Grove 63.6
In 2010:
  • Kennesaw 52.7
  • Morton Grove 31.6
In 2005
  • Kennesaw 62.6
  • Morton Grove 23.2
In 2000
  • Kennesaw 56.6
  • Morton Grove 53.2

Link for Kennesaw Link for Morton Grove
Old 23rd July 2017, 08:20 PM   #60
mgidm86
Illuminator

Well, that's a classy apology for "You quote a passage from Wikipedia, and it's in quotes, and then insert a sentence at the end? To make it look like that sentence is in the Wikipedia entry. That is really dishonest. I'm actually surprised someone would do that. It's not from your Wikipedia link so where did you get it?"

So, thanks.

Ps - as I posted all the way back on 7/17... and the wiki edit/deletion was on 7/23, just before you happened to respond here: Was it you editing wiki to try and create some kind of gotcha? The timing is so convenient...

mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 03:50 PM   #61
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I was at Academy today and I wanted to vote. They couldn't help me. But they were selling guns. Can we get on this proposal soon?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 06:36 PM   #62
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Are you being serious? Frankly, I think we should take the approach that Australia takes. It's illegal NOT to Vote.
It should also be illegal not to have a gun
Old 26th July 2017, 08:20 PM   #63
gregthehammer
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
It should also be illegal not to have a gun
If i can purchase a gun for the same price it costs me to vote, sure, why not?
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics